ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy: Text messages show Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations

I understand...but have to see the pics. bruised arms, neck etc. are not necessarily caused by physical abuse. You can't just refer to them, you have to bring them to the attention of the police. Did she do that? Did she call the police, show them the photos, file charges, and have the bruises looked at and verified as consistent with abuse? I know it is very, very suspicious. But it needs to be more than casual conversation.

McMurphy provided the photos that Courtney sent to Shelley. Taken in her own bathroom, showing the results of the abuse.

Whether she went to the police or not is irrelevant. There are numerous reasons a woman doesn't go to police. Does that give cover to a coach to continue employing someone whose spouse is sending pictures and cries for help to his wife? I argue not. And it certainly doesn't absolve him of his requirements to report under Title IX.

Reactions: Kmase21

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hotshoe
McMurphy provided the photos that Courtney sent to Shelley. Taken in her own bathroom, showing the results of the abuse.

Whether she went to the police or not is irrelevant. There are numerous reasons a woman doesn't go to police. Does that give cover to a coach to continue employing someone whose spouse is sending pictures and cries for help to his wife? I argue not. And it certainly doesn't absolve him of his requirements to report under Title IX.
Disagree. the injuries have to be investigated and vetted. It could have been from her boyfriend or a girlfriend (just watch any of the real wives series). You can just take pictures of random injuries. She wouldn't be the first person, going through a separation, to pretend abuse.

And you can't just grab old pictures and show friends without, at some point, going to the police.

My wife had a case where the couple got into a fight because the wife was falling down drunk and wanted to take the car for a drive and they fought over the keys. Or, the marks could be self defense (tawney kitaen hitting her 6-6 pro pitcher husband with her high heel while he was driving).

On the fear of going to the police and the rest of the circumstantial evidence, I totally agree. I think the guy is a creep and probably guilty...but one has to go on evidence and not just stories.

Disagree. the injuries have to be investigated and vetted. It could have been from her boyfriend or a girlfriend (just watch any of the real wives series). You can just take pictures of random injuries. She wouldn't be the first person, going through a separation, to pretend abuse.

And you can't just grab old pictures and show friends without, at some point, going to the police.

My wife had a case where the couple got into a fight because the wife was falling down drunk and wanted to take the car for a drive and they fought over the keys. Or, the marks could be self defense (tawney kitaen hitting her 6-6 pro pitcher husband with her high heel while he was driving).

On the fear of going to the police and the rest of the circumstantial evidence, I totally agree. I think the guy is a creep and probably guilty...but one has to go on evidence and not just stories.

What you describe is inaccurate with respect to Title IX requirements. The allegations alone required Urban to report it (assuming Shelley told him, which I think we both agree she definitely would have). Even if there are no pictures, he had to report it based on the allegation alone. There is zero requirement that she had to go to police or prove anything in order for his obligation to report to take effect.

What you describe is inaccurate with respect to Title IX requirements. The allegations alone required Urban to report it (assuming Shelley told him, which I think we both agree she definitely would have). Even if there are no pictures, he had to report it based on the allegation alone. There is zero requirement that she had to go to police or prove anything in order for his obligation to report to take effect.
How does Title IX apply? Is it because Smith works on campus, so it does not matter if the victim was never on campus?

Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
Thanks...I wasn't referring to title IX or "reporting" it. I was referring to legal action regarding the justice system. Fair enough.

Reactions: wbcincy
How does Title IX apply? Is it because Smith works on campus, so it does not matter if the victim was never on campus?

You hit on the right point here. I think OSU could escape Title IX culpability based on the location of the abuse, but I believe it still has to be reported. From OSU's Title IX policy, section I(B)(2):

"This policy may also apply to alleged sexual misconduct that occurs off-campus, including virtual spaces, when the Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinator determines that the alleged sexual misconduct could reasonably create a hostile environment."

Well, it sounds like the Title IX coordinator/deputy has to make the determination, which means it has to have been reported to him/her.

You hit on the right point here. I think OSU could escape Title IX culpability based on the location of the abuse, but I believe it still has to be reported. From OSU's Title IX policy, section I(B)(2):

"This policy may also apply to alleged sexual misconduct that occurs off-campus, including virtual spaces, when the Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinator determines that the alleged sexual misconduct could reasonably create a hostile environment."

Well, it sounds like the Title IX coordinator/deputy has to make the determination, which means it has to have been reported to him/her.

is domestic violence also considered "sexual misconduct"? Not making a statement, its a question. and, isn't that in the context of students, not a coach? has there been any claims of violence against a student?

is domestic violence also considered "sexual misconduct"? Not making a statement, its a question. and, isn't that in the context of students, not a coach? has there been any claims of violence against a student?

The policy applies to (i.e., covers): "Faculty, staff, students, student employees, graduate associates, appointees, volunteers, supplier/contractor, visitors."

Employee duty to report: "In addition to the requirement of reporting incidents of sexual assault, the following members of the universitycommunity have an additional obligation to report all other incidents of sexual misconduct, when they receive a
disclosure of sexual misconduct or become aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe
that sexual misconduct may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy. These individuals must
report the incident within five work days of becoming aware of such information: 1. Any human resources professional; 2. Anyone who supervises faculty, staff, students, or volunteers; 3. Chair/director; and 4. Faculty member."

The policy does define sexual misconduct as including "relationship violence." Relationship violence is defined as "dating violence and domestic violence."

The policy applies to (i.e., covers): "Faculty, staff, students, student employees, graduate associates, appointees, volunteers, supplier/contractor, visitors."

Employee duty to report: "In addition to the requirement of reporting incidents of sexual assault, the following members of the universitycommunity have an additional obligation to report all other incidents of sexual misconduct, when they receive a
disclosure of sexual misconduct or become aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe
that sexual misconduct may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy. These individuals must
report the incident within five work days of becoming aware of such information: 1. Any human resources professional; 2. Anyone who supervises faculty, staff, students, or volunteers; 3. Chair/director; and 4. Faculty member."

The policy does define sexual misconduct as including "relationship violence." Relationship violence is defined as "dating violence and domestic violence."
got it...thank you.

Yeah. That is GAME OVER. Title IX is in it to win it.:eek:

>>“As I do many times, most coaches and people in leadership positions, you receive a phone call,” Meyer said at Big Ten Media Days. “The first thing you do is tell your boss, let the experts do their jobs.<<

Who knows maybe this will work for Urbs. :rolleyes:
So did he call his boss? If yes, where’s the ad in this equation?

Anyone who thinks this internal investigation won’t end with Urban “cleared” and the victim to blame isn’t familiar with THE OSU.
Oh, I do not doubt your claim here, but if he was lying about the 2015 stuff, that is going to be hard to bury. Will the internal investigation explain how Shelley never told him about the texts? Will she give a sworn statement to that effect?

How will they conclude regarding whether he lied about this?

Maybe another way to say it is, Christy Smith could be a drunken witch who gave as many beatings as she got. Ok, but that does not explain why UM lied about it, if he did. Her negatives cannot be placed in evidence as an excuse for lying to the public on national TV.

Last edited:
Oh, I do not doubt your claim here, but if he was lying about the 2015 stuff, that is going to be hard to bury. Will the internal investigation explain how Shelley never told him about the texts? Will she give a sworn statement to that effect?

How will they conclude regarding whether he lied about this?

Maybe another way to say it is, Christy Smith could be a drunken witch who gave as many beatings as she got. Ok, but that does not explain why UM lied about it, if he did. Her negatives cannot be placed in evidence as an excuse for lying to the public on national TV.

I’ve heard from some folks here that Shelley will do whatever it takes to protect Urban.

Not a surprise...

Meyer will coach at OSU this season. I know none of you recognize my current handle, but a few of you
[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Forum ]

By Noc on 07:32:05 08/03/18

Would have appreciated this news under my old one... the rest would still hate me! Anyways this panel is a formality to his reinstatement and to help OSU keep Urban. There will obviously be concessions made to the social media “gods”, but all is well. Enjoy your weekend and stop worrying. But keep hitting refresh so the Ozone keeps getting hits!

If you are who we think you are, this is the best news all week * - 8NCs7Heismans [07:40:51 08/03/18]

If they try to sell the idea that Urban’s wife never told Urban, the torches and pitchforks will be out full force. He’s going to have to make a mea culpa at the right time and hope it dies down. Lying about the lie he told at media day would send the media into a tizzy.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
If they try to sell the idea that Urban’s wife never told Urban, the torches and pitchforks will be out full force. He’s going to have to make a mea culpa at the right time and hope it dies down. Lying about the lie he told at media day would send the media into a tizzy.
Yep....get ready for the I'm sorry press conference in a 2-3 weeks as this dies down. Probably on a later Friday afternoon and maybe some HR training for the school as they take this "very serious". Maybe they can get Mitchell to pretend babysit the school for a year or two too.

He and the university will also have to hope that the newsguy doesn't have any more that he's holding back, just waiting for the best time to reveal it. It's been said that he is not a hack, and that he knows what he is doing, and that he does have more detailed info.

He and the university will also have to hope that the newsguy doesn't have any more that he's holding back, just waiting for the best time to reveal it. It's been said that he is not a hack, and that he knows what he is doing, and that he does have more detailed info.

From what I've read, it appears that McMurphy has a chip on his shoulder too. Completely understand if he does, but with as much as ESPN seems to love tOSU and Meyer, I wonder if revenge is in the back of McMurphy's mind.

From what I've read, it appears that McMurphy has a chip on his shoulder too. Completely understand if he does, but with as much as ESPN seems to love tOSU and Meyer, I wonder if revenge is in the back of McMurphy's mind.
As I understand it, when asked and Urbs denied knowledge. He threw in a comment to the extent of "where do these questions come from?" This, basically, challenged the press to come up with something. My guess is that this guy had the text messages and baited Meyer with the question. When Meyer denied knowledge, he walked right into the trap.

And I also understand, as you have stated, McMurphy is quite enjoying screwing over his old employer who is doing everything they can to save Urbs ass.

The thing about Shelly taking the bullet for Urban is this. The rumor is so many coaches supposedly knew, and all the wives supposedly knew, did Shelly ever tell any of the wives
that she mentioned it to Urban? There are a lot of people who supposedly "knew", it might be a little challenging to just say she never told him.

The thing about Shelly taking the bullet for Urban is this. The rumor is so many coaches supposedly knew, and all the wives supposedly knew, did Shelly ever tell any of the wives
that she mentioned it to Urban? There are a lot of people who supposedly "knew", it might be a little challenging to just say she never told him.
Yeah. And she may not have the text messages any longer. Her statements are going to have to align with her texts.

And if he didn’t know this was going on and everyone else in the program did, then he should get fired for poor management. He really has no good out here.

And if he didn’t know this was going on and everyone else in the program did, then he should get fired for poor management. He really has no good out here.

He doesn't really need a good out though. Because he's Urban Meyer, all he needs is plausible deniability. The only way he'll be out is if OSU comes under overwhelming pressure to fire him. A lame excuse might provoke that pressure, but it might also decrease it just enough for OSU to calculate it'd be worth keeping him.

He doesn't really need a good out though. Because he's Urban Meyer, all he needs is plausible deniability. The only way he'll be out is if OSU comes under overwhelming pressure to fire him.
I definitely agree with you on that.

Meyer just released statement - cliffnotes version:

• Said he elevated Zach Smith incident in 2015 to proper channels.
  • Admits he lied at B1G Media Day and was not prepared to discuss situation.
  • Will cooperate with investigation fully
  • Looks forward to rejoining the players and coaches soon

Reactions: bmw199
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT