ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy: Text messages show Urban Meyer knew in 2015 of domestic abuse allegations

So he now states he knew and escalated the Zach Smith domestic violence in 2015. Imagine keeping a guy on your staff for 3 years after that when knowing...
There will be some backlash, but I bet he only said this with OSU backing him up with plausible deniability and his wife being willing to back it up.

There will be some backlash, but I bet he only said this with OSU backing him up with plausible deniability and his wife being willing to back it up.
If he says he elevated it to proper channels, I don’t see how he has any plausible deniability left

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Why the hell would the school let him put out a press release before they did? This doesn't make sense, unless he knows he is about to be canned and is trying to set the fan base against the school and/or start framing his lawsuit against the school.

If he elevated it, the people he told should have told him Smith had to be removed from his position if he was unwilling to do it himself.

Why the hell would the school let him put out a press release before they did? This doesn't make sense, unless he knows he is about to be canned and is trying to set the fan base against the school and/or start framing his lawsuit against the school.

I would assume this is with the school’s approval, but who knows?

Reactions: bmw199
It's possible they have someone else willing to jump on the grenade rather than lose Urban.

Reactions: odshowtime
If he sent it up the proper channels, why is he on leave?
I suspect that is the best possible path in the hopes that the press dies down. He'll have to show documentation that he sent it through the "proper channels". If so, he's OK. If not....well....

Probably the best there is in sports law:

Michael McCann‏Verified account@McCannSportsLaw 29m29 minutes ago
Michael McCann Retweeted SI College Football

Urban Meyer's statement seems written with contract law in mind. It denies any grounds that Ohio State could use to fire him with cause. At the same time, it acknowledges his answers to journalists' questions were inadequate--a personal failing that doesn't violate his contract.

20 replies211 retweets219 likes

Reactions: wbcincy
Meyer just released statement - cliffnotes version:

• Said he elevated Zach Smith incident in 2015 to proper channels.
  • Admits he lied at B1G Media Day and was not prepared to discuss situation.
  • Will cooperate with investigation fully
  • Looks forward to rejoining the players and coaches soon
So, basically, this is exactly like JoPa, except Joe had less information about the incident, Sandusky was no longer on the coaching staff, and Joe didn't lie on Big 10 media day. Got it.

Smith says he denies 2015 allegations and discussed with Meyer (per ESPN). So, wife is lying (here we go...).

I suspect that is the best possible path in the hopes that the press dies down. He'll have to show documentation that he sent it through the "proper channels". If so, he's OK. If not....well....

Regardless of how he handled it then, the question remains: If what he did in 2015 was worthy of firing why didn’t it happen until 2018?

She also claims Urbans attorney pressured her into dropping charges in 2009? If OSU keeps him it’s just going to be stuff coming out of the woodwork forever.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It probably has come up somewhere, but Courtney Smith is going to receive a seven or maybe eight figure payout from tOSU.

It probably has come up somewhere, but Courtney Smith is going to receive a seven or maybe eight figure payout from tOSU.

For what? She didn't press charges to ensure continued access to Smith's $340k salary (which I'm not saying is wrong since she had a kid to care for). Had Meyer acted sooner, she'd have been hard up for money sooner.

For what? She didn't press charges to ensure continued access to Smith's $340k salary (which I'm not saying is wrong since she had a kid to care for). Had Meyer acted sooner, she'd have been hard up for money sooner.
None of what you said is wrong, but I still would bet this will be the outcome.

So he now states he knew and escalated the Zach Smith domestic violence in 2015. Imagine keeping a guy on your staff for 3 years after that when knowing...
Well then, this investigation should be over by now.

I suspect someone is going to be fired, but not UM. Might be the AD if things were reported through “proper channels” since the AD is UM’s immediate superior, just like Curley was JoePa’s when Joe correctly reported things to Curley as per University procedure and current NCAA protocol.

I suspect someone is going to be fired, but not UM. Might be the AD if things were reported through “proper channels” since the AD is UM’s immediate superior, just like Curley was JoePa’s when Joe correctly reported things to Curley as per University procedure and current NCAA protocol.

Absolutely firing coming and Urbs put it right on Gene Smiths shoulder saying he reported through proper channels upstream ... Meaning to the AD Gene Smith ... Personally I would shed crocodile tears if OSU cleaned houseand fired Urbs and Smith

Ultimate defensive scheme for Meyer. He is playing SKY coverage....will eventually workout a partial payout from OSU on his way out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT