ADVERTISEMENT

MBB vs Wisky thread

How can you not have anyone guarding the in-bounds pass in the last minute or two?

STUPID STUPID STUPID!

Well, the Iowa road win just got negated. It’s a 40 minute game not a final five desperate minute game.

Reactions: psu00
An epidemic of stupid throughout college basketball can be found when a team is down by a possession in the final 10-15 seconds of the game. Instead of running a play, the point guard just dribbles dribbles dribbles and then chucks up a prayer at the horn.

GO TO THE DAMN BASKET, DRAW CONTACT, AND GET TO THE FREE THROW LINE!!!! Or at least a drive will open up someone else. Unless you're down 3, you should NEVER shoot a 3 in that situation, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE DOWN A POINT!!!

It's not just PSU that did it tonite. Watch other games, you'll see the same thing. How do coaches not have practices about this situation?

How can you not have anyone guarding the in-bounds pass in the last minute or two?

STUPID STUPID STUPID!

Well, the Iowa road win just got negated. It’s a 40 minute game not a final five desperate minute game.
Don't worry, we finally broke into Philly and all is well. We'll be really good next year (again).

An epidemic of stupid throughout college basketball can be found when a team is down by a possession in the final 10-15 seconds of the game. Instead of running a play, the point guard just dribbles dribbles dribbles and then chucks up a prayer at the horn.

GO TO THE DAMN BASKET, DRAW CONTACT, AND GET TO THE FREE THROW LINE!!!! Or at least a drive will open up someone else. Unless you're down 3, you should NEVER shoot a 3 in that situation, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE DOWN A POINT!!!

It's not just PSU that did it tonite. Watch other games, you'll see the same thing. How do coaches not have practices about this situation?

Absolutely agree.....but if you’re not gonna be smart enough to do that at least shoot early enough that you have a chance for a rebound and a follow shot.

Once Carr stopped advancing the ball, should have called the TO. How come every other person in america knows that you have to drive to the basket there?

Reactions: bdgan
Absolutely agree.....but if you’re not gonna be smart enough to do that at least shoot early enough that you have a chance for a rebound and a follow shot.

Which is at least what he did since he decided to shoot it at 3 1/2 seconds when he realized that the post play wasn't there. But that ball has to find a way into the lane in that situation.

The problem is that your solution is another smart one. Stop thinking that way and this team will make more sense.

Someone might want to remind Chambers to practice layup drills for much of the next practice. ;)

Which is at least what he did since he decided to shoot it at 3 1/2 seconds when he realized that the post play wasn't there. But that ball has to find a way into the lane in that situation.

Needed to do it earlier than that....3 1/2 seconds is not enough time when putting it up from 20 ft.

More talented but basically the same results. Lost two of the three games we really needed to get into the NCAA mix.

Someone might want to remind Chambers to practice layup drills for much of the next practice. ;)
Also running back on defense, blocking out, playing as a team instead of 1 on 1, etc.

No way we get in the NCAA mix. We will win 5 or 6 games in the Big max.
If we had beaten NC State and Wisconsin, we'd have been in the mix and maybe even getting top 25 votes. As it is, I'm seeing 7-11 or 8-10 in the league, and possibly an NIT

Things can obviously change but does anyone really think Chsmbers gets another year without significant improvement?

Things can obviously change but does anyone really think Chsmbers gets another year without significant improvement?

Unless they reel off a winning streak in league play, which this team might actually be capable of, I don't think this is shaping up too well for Chambers.

Reactions: Mixolydian
If we had beaten NC State and Wisconsin, we'd have been in the mix and maybe even getting top 25 votes. As it is, I'm seeing 7-11 or 8-10 in the league, and possibly an NIT
No way we win 7 or 8 games in conference.

Where are the people who called me crazy, a troll, and not a PSU fan because I said this is a make or break year for Pat? He needs to show something this year. This is the same old sh. I'll start watching if they get their act together. There are about 7/8 teams in the B1G each year that can make the tournament, this isn't the CFB playoff taking top 4 of every school. Get it together and get in the tourney.

Where are the people who called me crazy, a troll, and not a PSU fan because I said this is a make or break year for Pat? He needs to show something this year. This is the same old sh. I'll start watching if they get their act together. There are about 7/8 teams in the B1G each year that can make the tournament, this isn't the CFB playoff taking top 4 of every school. Get it together and get in the tourney.
If you don't agree with the masses you're a troll

Players either have “basketball smarts” or not. Basics such as blocking out, being aware of the backdoor and following your shots shouldn’t have to be taught at this level.

Unless they reel off a winning streak in league play, which this team might actually be capable of, I don't think this is shaping up too well for Chambers.
Last year I felt that as long as we both continued to improve on the court and continued to improve recruiting then I would support Chambers in keeping his job. However I was disappointed with last years play but had hope it would improve this year with more experience. But we keep seeing sloppy and stupid play. In addition, our recruiting has dropped off and have not gotten any quality philly recruits in 2017 or 2018. So I am sad to say that I have lost faith that Chambers can get it done. I just hope we don’t lose any current players and have to start over if he’s fired.

It’s done. This is team is not going to break out this year. Next year is the year. Next year.

The Palestra seats about 7,000, the BJC around 16,000, the size of the arena is a problem, and you need to build a basketball only arena that seats around 10,000 to get any kind of crowd atmosphere.
Except we already have one....

Same old same old. NIT at best. You can once again point to next year...... but who knows. Someone like Carr will end up leaving.

NIT at best
It's waaaayyyyy too early to make that statement, I assume you thought the same, or worse, when we lost @ home to Maine in late December a handful of years ago? We ended up making the NCAAs that year. Early December is FAR too early to write the season off. We played like crap for 3/4 of the game and still had a great opportunity to win, but Tony took an ill-advised three. All is not lost yet.

It's waaaayyyyy too early to make that statement, I assume you thought the same, or worse, when we lost @ home to Maine in late December a handful of years ago? We ended up making the NCAAs that year. Early December is FAR too early to write the season off. We played like crap for 3/4 of the game and still had a great opportunity to win, but Tony took an ill-advised three. All is not lost yet.

Respectfully disagree. It’s not way too early at all. Wisconsin is not a good team. We aren’t good enough to beat a below average B1G team at home. Too many shortcomings without the coaching to overcome them. It is what it is.

The problem is no one has any faith in our coaching staff. Again, they let the team fall into the same old routine of forcing up bad shots and playing playground ball rather than running sound offensive sets......and before you know it, like usual, they are down 15 points. They refused to take advantage of clear matchup problems for Wisconsin......they could not stop Watkins, but we refused to post him up or get him the ball in the paint for long stretches.....instead we try to play 1 on three and chuck up some acrobatic shot which fails miserably. Stevens spent the majority of his night on the outside rather than working inside as well.......UW's big men were in foul trouble and we refused to take advantage of it.......that is coaching!!!! Just look at the shots Wisconsin was able to get by flashing their bigs to the high post......some easy little jumpers or open looks from the outside when the defense collapsed.

Im not as upset at Carr's shot as the lack of timeout once he didnt have the post feed. Also while Watkins played his ass off, got the block and rebound, took a couple dribbles then gave it to Stevens who got stripped from behind. That is just bad awareness on both of their parts. He (Stevens should gone with a hard drive right to the basket. That play killed them as much as any other late one

Im not as upset at Carr's shot as the lack of timeout once he didnt have the post feed. Also while Watkins played his ass off, got the block and rebound, took a couple dribbles then gave it to Stevens who got stripped from behind. That is just bad awareness on both of their parts. He (Stevens should gone with a hard drive right to the basket. That play killed them as much as any other late one
  1. Agree that it's unfair to blame a loss on just one play but that one was pretty bad. Chambers could have called the TO.
  2. Happ had fouled out so it should have been easy to lob it high to Watkins.
  3. Stevens play wasn't just a lack of awareness. It was a lack of energy. Wisconsin outhustled PSU all night (especially how hard the worked to get back on defense).

Players either have “basketball smarts” or not. Basics such as blocking out, being aware of the backdoor and following your shots shouldn’t have to be taught at this level.
They must be continually reinforced/reemphasized in practice. I would add that if a player is lazy in the games applying these basic fundamentals, you sit him down, tell him why and let him think about getting his head in the game. There seems to be no consequnces for this type of play. This team has no offensive scheme or flow and consistently fails in fundamentals. Coaching issue all the way.

Disagree. A lof of kids dominate in high school because they are big or because they are superior athletes. They can get away with poor fundamentals. These things really need to be reinforced in college.

Respectfully disagree. It’s not way too early at all. Wisconsin is not a good team. We aren’t good enough to beat a below average B1G team at home. Too many shortcomings without the coaching to overcome them. It is what it is.

There's no reason to believe things will change. We saw undisciplined play in Chambers' early years. Some here told us to be patient because the cupboard was bare. Finally Chambers brought in some talent from Philly, and we saw much of the same bad play last year. Some here told us to be patient because these guys were young, one guy wasn't cleared by the ncaa, etc. Now we are seeing much of the same bad play early this season, but we should be patient because the team will improve as the schedule gets more difficult. O.K.

They must be continually reinforced/reemphasized in practice. I would add that if a player is lazy in the games applying these basic fundamentals, you sit him down, tell him why and let him think about getting his head in the game. There seems to be no consequnces for this type of play. This team has no offensive scheme or flow and consistently fails in fundamentals. Coaching issue all the way.
Disagree. A lof of kids dominate in high school because they are big or because they are superior athletes. They can get away with poor fundamentals. These things really need to be reinforced in college.

I agree with you and bdgan (a prior post) about these basics needing to be reinforced every day. But again somewhere growing up players need to understand you put on your jock, you put on your shorts/jersey, you put on your shoes/socks, then you screen out, you follow your shot, you’re aware of the backdoor.

And yes, I agree that a lot of high school success is because of being really superior athletes compared to inferior competition. But somewhere it’s gotta become second nature.....because if you have to think about these basics, you’re gonna be a step behind all the time.

There's no reason to believe things will change. We saw undisciplined play in Chambers' early years. Some here told us to be patient because the cupboard was bare. Finally Chambers brought in some talent from Philly, and we saw much of the same bad play last year. Some here told us to be patient because these guys were young, one guy wasn't cleared by the ncaa, etc. Now we are seeing much of the same bad play early this season, but we should be patient because the team will improve as the schedule gets more difficult. O.K.
I undersand that the kids are still young although they've played a lot of basketball by now. My problem isn't poor decisions. My problem is that the effort level is inconsistent. This team is very athletic and uses their quickness to create a lot of turnovers which is good. The bad part is that they don't work hard with their feet to put themselves in good defensive position. How many times do you see them score on offense only to have their opponent get it back with an easy bucket on the other end. How may times do you see silly reach in fouls that turn into easy scores for opponents?

PSU had better athletes last night, especially when Happ was on the bench. But Wisconsin's kids moved the ball well on offense, ran back hard on defense, and did a better job rebounding. Effort and fundamentals beat athleticism. That shouldn't happen, especially when your opponent had to travel to your gym.

Last edited:

Right- and I don't think Iowa is all that good either. Put a good team in front of them (TAM and NC State) and they lost. They are going to have to tear up the Big 10 from here on out to get a sniff of the NCAA Tourney.

Right- and I don't think Iowa is all that good either. Put a good team in front of them (TAM and NC State) and they lost. They are going to have to tear up the Big 10 from here on out to get a sniff of the NCAA Tourney.
NC State isn't a great team either. They were 4-14 in ACC play last year.

I get to several games every season and last night was my first of the year. They continue to play the same way regardless of the talent on the court. They were down 17 freaking points to a team that lost by 27 at home two days ago.. This is the team Chambers sends out there regardless of the talent. They had a chance to be 2-0 in the BIG sitting on top for the next month. Wisconsin had beaten Penn State NINE straight times leading into last night. Home Big ten opener. There was no reason to come out with no energy and fall so far behind. That's on Chambers. Then I hear him on the post game radio show talking about this being a learning experience.. these guys aren't learning anything and it shows on the court time after time. Plenty of time left in the season but showing effort for 8 minutes in conference games will get you a CBI berth and Chambers a new job as an assistant at Delaware. How the last 10 seconds were coached is neither here nor there.. this type of game should've been about making foul shots and protecting an 8-10 point lead down the stretch, not letting it come down to one possession. Coach is letting the players down and the few fans that actually follow PSU bball.

Reactions: 84Lion
I get to several games every season and last night was my first of the year. They continue to play the same way regardless of the talent on the court. They were down 17 freaking points to a team that lost by 27 at home two days ago.. This is the team Chambers sends out there regardless of the talent. They had a chance to be 2-0 in the BIG sitting on top for the next month. Wisconsin had beaten Penn State NINE straight times leading into last night. Home Big ten opener. There was no reason to come out with no energy and fall so far behind. That's on Chambers. Then I hear him on the post game radio show talking about this being a learning experience.. these guys aren't learning anything and it shows on the court time after time. Plenty of time left in the season but showing effort for 8 minutes in conference games will get you a CBI berth and Chambers a new job as an assistant at Delaware. How the last 10 seconds were coached is neither here nor there.. this type of game should've been about making foul shots and protecting an 8-10 point lead down the stretch, not letting it come down to one possession. Coach is letting the players down and the few fans that actually follow PSU bball.

Have to agree. The lack of consistent energy and effort is extremely disappointing, especially for a team with higher aspirations this season. Unfortunately, it’s past time for a change at the top...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT