ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule is a great coach and Baylor is lucky to have him

I still can't believe that he took that job... he might eventually turn things around, but will not likely be a hot commodity by then. I hope that I am wrong.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Yeah, I'm still a little shocked. Why take a rebuild job in an area that you haven't recruited? Must be paying him a bundle.
Yeah, and likely has a huge buyout if they want to fire him. maybe it's a long play, however... he spends time in recruiting fertile Texas, and if he puts Baylor back in the top ten, maybe he goes to some place (like ND) where he can leverage his inroads into Texas to support his success there.

Yeah, and likely has a huge buyout if they want to fire him. maybe it's a long play, however... he spends time in recruiting fertile Texas, and if he puts Baylor back in the top ten, maybe he goes to some place (like ND) where he can leverage his inroads into Texas to support his success there.

He had to move up to a higher profile job, kind of surprised that he chose Baylor. The Texicans don't have a whole lot of patience with football coaches but maybe the situation down there was so bad that he might get more time than usual.
Success at Baylor will put him on the path to the Notre Dame job, as it looks like JF isn't going anywhere for a long while. :D

He had to move up to a higher profile job, kind of surprised that he chose Baylor. The Texicans don't have a whole lot of patience with football coaches but maybe the situation down there was so bad that he might get more time than usual.
Success at Baylor will put him on the path to the Notre Dame job, as it looks like JF isn't going anywhere for a long while. :D

my fear is they will get impatient with him like they did with Charlie Strong at UT. Matt is doing the good things . . . rebuilding the program from the ground up, standing by the players who stood by the program, putting academics first, weeding out the "problem" players . . . yes that means losing in the short term.

I still can't believe that he took that job... he might eventually turn things around, but will not likely be a hot commodity by then. I hope that I am wrong.

He's getting $4.5 million per year. Quite a pay raise from what he was getting at Temple. And it is easier to recruit there than at Temple. Expectations may be a little higher, but he has a grace period. And for the person who said Al Golden 2.0 above didn't pay attention to what actually happened at Temple. Golden recruited well at Temple (something he is good at), but never won any titles. He is a better recruiter than coach. Same thing at UVA when he was DC. Recruited great players on defense (beat us for some highly rated LBs), but on the filed production was average. Rhule recruited pretty well at Temple, but won a lot of games and a conference title. He seemed to really develop his players.

my fear is they will get impatient with him like they did with Charlie Strong at UT. Matt is doing the good things . . . rebuilding the program from the ground up, standing by the players who stood by the program, putting academics first, weeding out the "problem" players . . . yes that means losing in the short term.
If he can right the ship there he will really position himself well for a future gig but I do think money had a lot to do with it as well. He said he wanted to make sure his family is financially secure and I think he is getting enough guaranteed money from Baylor to take care of that.

It's exactly what Charlie Strong did and he didn't last long at all. I don't think Matt is a good fit for Baylor and don't see him staying long. That place built success on the backs of players who were dismissed or otherwise 'displaced' from better football programs for the most part. Without that recruiting stream, going head to head against Texas, A&M, Tech, and LSU for players isn't going to bode well for him.

Matt Rhule is a man of character as was his father. The apple didn't fall far from the tree in this case. Should all of college football have coaches like Matt Rhule we all would benefit. His kind don't come around that often. As rare as Rhule. Given time he will turn the Baylor program around. Actually, reading the presidents comments, Baylor should promote Matt to run the university.

Temple's qb graduated. So did running back. Last year Temple won its league. Matt Ruhle was a hot commodity. This year he would have been in a rebuilding mode.

It's exactly what Charlie Strong did and he didn't last long at all. I don't think Matt is a good fit for Baylor and don't see him staying long. That place built success on the backs of players who were dismissed or otherwise 'displaced' from better football programs for the most part. Without that recruiting stream, going head to head against Texas, A&M, Tech, and LSU for players isn't going to bode well for him.

Yeah, I don't see him lasting long at Baylor either. He was the 'outsider' brought in to clean up the program. I assume he gets tossed aside after 2-3 years with Baylor struggling. I wish him nothing but success. He's in a very difficult position.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It's possible Rhule saw how things played out with Bill O'Brien and thought that maybe Baylor was a can't lose situation, or a situation with a large margin for error. What I mean by that is that even if they struggle on the field vs. historical expectations, he has an out because struggles are expected given what Baylor has recently gone through. If the NCAA comes down on them it will also make it difficult for him, but might not be viewed as a poor performance by others looking to hire a head coach in the future.

OB went 8-4 and 7-5 for us, far from what PSU fans expect given our history. But he was viewed as a success given the other factors he had to deal with. Perhaps Rhule thought he'd be able to manage some mediocre seasons in the short term, which still might allow him to leverage the Baylor job into something bigger. Of course it looks like Baylor is going to struggle on the field far worse than PSU did, so Rhule has his work cut out for him. And if he has terrible seasons, even given the other factors at play, it still might hurt Rhule long-term.

Perhaps Rhule believes deep down in his heart he is destined to do great things and continue to make a positive impact on young peoples' lives. He learned from the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT