ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Richt just said he'd love to be an OC (or QB coach) on the SEC Network now.............

I was going to post the same thing. He seemed more interested in coaching QB's and being an OC than getting back to head coaching.
i spent 20 years in Atlanta and subsequently hate the SEC but I'll say this, he would be an absolute home run hire if CJF could lure him north.
. Great recruiter with deep ties in the south.
. Really good offensive mind
. I should have listed this first, I also think he is a PERFECT fit for the type of quality character person I would like to believe PSU has always stood for.

He would be my first choice hands down.

I was going to post the same thing. He seemed more interested in coaching QB's and being an OC than getting back to head coaching.
i spent 20 years in Atlanta and subsequently hate the SEC but I'll say this, he would be an absolute home run hire if CJF could lure him north.
. Great recruiter with deep ties in the south.
. Really good offensive mind
. I should have listed this first, I also think he is a PERFECT fit for the type of quality character person I would like to believe PSU has always stood for.

He would be my first choice hands down.
He is by all accounts an honorable human being. That matters a lot.

Just watch his press conference and you can see how quality of a guy he is! Would be home run hire. He has developed some very good college qb's and some pretty good offenses.

I sure hope CJF is knocking on his door right now!! Georgia has been fun to watch over the years and he'd be a perfect fit for Penn State. I remember his name thrown around before we hired BOB and I was pretty excited then. Hope we get him.

Seems like a good fit. Good character, at the point where he may no longer be looking for a HC gig, could be a big help with the QBs and OL.

And I'm not convinced that coaches evaluations are over.

1. Interesting because he could have been HC here, had he wanted it. Might be tough to come here knowing he could have been the head guy.
  2. Not sure CJF wants to hire a guy who could be his replacement. Next year could be another difficult year (but I see 2017 being the emerging year for this program). Smart head guys don't want that guy breathing down his neck. I am guessing CJF hires a young, emerging position coach that is in a top tier program (scott frost-ish).

Reactions: PSUFBFAN and bmw199
The first game we lose but the offense plays well under Richt, there would be instant calls from fans for Richt to replace Franklin. That's why Richt to Penn State is unlikely, IMO. Richt is more likely to be an OC in the NFL.

Reactions: PSU Paul
  1. Interesting because he could have been HC here, had he wanted it. Might be tough to come here knowing he could have been the head guy.
  2. Not sure CJF wants to hire a guy who could be his replacement. Next year could be another difficult year (but I see 2017 being the emerging year for this program). Smart head guys don't want that guy breathing down his neck. I am guessing CJF hires a young, emerging position coach that is in a top tier program (scott frost-ish).

Why wouldn't CJF want to surround himself with the best coaches possible?? Sometimes a few of us reach a point in life that the pursuant of a job title isn't important but the work is rewarding. If Richt is in that place or state of mind CJF wouldn't have to worry about anything

Reactions: mn78psu83
If Kiffin leaves, don't be surprised if Saban offers him as OC.

The head coach will need to be a strong head coach who has no chance of his job being in jeopardy.

The first game we lose but the offense plays well under Richt, there would be instant calls from fans for Richt to replace Franklin. That's why Richt to Penn State is unlikely, IMO. Richt is more likely to be an OC in the NFL.
That's also why it would be a brilliant move. Franklin would be working under constant pressure, knowing that if he makes any mistakes PSU will just fire him and promote Richt.

If Kiffin leaves, don't be surprised if Saban offers him as OC.

The head coach will need to be a strong head coach who has no chance of his job being in jeopardy.
Who's insane enough to hire Kiffin? He is a horrible HC.

just saying
Wasn't there also some talk when he was up for the head coaching job here that PSU offers some of the best facilities to treat his daughter's proteus syndrome? I doubt Richt wants to be a head coach again. This could well be the hire if he is serious about getting back into coaching so soon.

Reactions: bmw199
I would love this hire. I said in the candidates thread a call would need to be made no matter if it would be returned or not. Seems like it might be. I would love to have him be OC and QB coach and then bring in a different TE coach. Hopefully fire Hand and bring back McWhorter also.

That's also why it would be a brilliant move. Franklin would be working under constant pressure, knowing that if he makes any mistakes PSU will just fire him and promote Richt.

Do you actually think that Franklin doesn't feel sufficient pressure to win? How would you develop a sense of trust and comfort between the HC and the OC in the situation you describe?

I do think that Franklin should hire an OC with ambitions to be a head coach, somewhere else.

Was a very strange press conference. The AD was there and basically it was a love fest for Richt except when someone asked, to put it bluntly, 'why was he canned?'. That topic, strangely enough, was off limits.

His comments about wanting to get back to coaching, and specifically, coaching QB's, stood out. As did his mention of being a Coordinator. He has a job at Georgia if he wants one in some capacity and if he does take an OC job somewhere I think it would only be for a few years. Still, we need to get the best guy for the job - they're all looking to be HC's one day.

Bear Bryant hired unknown young talented guys who had inordinate amount of energy. It is Coach Franklin's call, leave it that.

I think it comes down to two things. Do they [Richt and CJF] have any personal relationship. Secondly, does his family have any interest moving north.
I think Mark genuinely likes being around young people and developing them [not NFL] and really seemed ready to NOT be a head coach again at least for a while.
He will be in great demand.

Thing is. You bring him in, he is gone after a year or two.
Well maybe, but don't we risk that with any OC who comes if they are successful? He just might be in a place in his life where being OC/QB coach is what he really likes to do.

I would, without a doubt, love Richt as an OC/QB coach, but wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

I think it comes down to two things. Do they [Richt and CJF] have any personal relationship. Secondly, does his family have any interest moving north.
I think Mark genuinely likes being around young people and developing them [not NFL] and really seemed ready to NOT be a head coach again at least for a while.
He will be in great demand.
By some accounts, Richt was the frontrunner for the PSU job in 2012, and in fact was about to become the coach and then took himself out of consideration. So he's certainly considered moving to PSU before. If he is really looking to become an OC, maybe he would have even contacted Franklin.

I don't think so. Every coach wants to win. Franklin isn't worried about hiring someone who's is too good at what they do. From all the stuff that's been written about Richt in the past couple of years it seems like he might want a coaching position that is less time consuming-I'm not sure he would want to be a head coach again. A head coaching job is 24/7 365.

I don't think so. Every coach wants to win. Franklin isn't worried about hiring someone who's is too good at what they do. From all the stuff that's been written about Richt in the past couple of years it seems like he might want a coaching position that is less time consuming-I'm not sure he would want to be a head coach again. A head coaching job is 24/7 365.
Well either way it is an interesting possibility. I don't think it will be Mark Richt. I think it will be Bill Lazor, who just got fired from the Dolphins.

I would, without a doubt, love Richt as an OC/QB coach, but wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

I agree...I seriously doubt we have any shot at getting Richt. I can't see a successful, long time head coach in the SEC at a very high profile school taking an OC job anywhere (except maybe Bama).

Well either way it is an interesting possibility. I don't think it will be Mark Richt. I think it will be Bill Lazor, who just got fired from the Dolphins.

Football recycles coaches more than any other sport. Get fired from one place and get hired doing the same thing somewhere else. I certainly hope we give and young up comer a chance as opposed to a retread.

Never heard of him. does he have connections to Franklin?

There is forgiveness in that heart! I knew it.:D

Yet, so many, here, loathe me? Why? What is it that I seek? All I want is to build a Penn State future that is the heart of Coalescence - A new Florence. State College should become the Florence of a new age - The Age of Coalescence. Where ideas can be spoken freely. Where artists and scientists can speak the same language. Where ideas can be freely debated, openly and unabated. I dream of a University with a laissez-faire approach to the faculty. I want to inspire the youth of Penn State to take action; march on Harrisburg; become the leaders of this new age. I want to go the BOT, not to play nicely, but to destroy it. I want to peel back the facade of Pennsylvania politics and expose it for what it truly is. I want to see black man and white man, gay man and straight man, male and female lock elbows and proclaim: I AM HUMAN! Yet, people here, loathe me.

Tutto l'amore che ho! Tutto l'amore che ho, indeed!

"Humanities future can not be its' past."
-------Michael Peter Felli

Wow....this is the equivalent of hitting the powerball this Wednesday. Do you people even believe this is a possibility? If it happens I will gladly eat crow but IMO if Richt truly wants to be an OC/QB coach, he won't need to wait for the phone to ring. He will pick it up and call his school of choice to see if there is any interest. What do you think would happen to this forum if Urban Meyer brought him on board....his offense wasn't exactly up to par this season and they would become the new Alabama and rule the CF world. However, for every reason you can come up with that makes that scenario unlikely, there are just as many if not more that make it an even higher unlikelyhood at PSU. Let's get a grip and try coming back to reality.

Yet, so many, here, loathe me? Why? What is it that I seek? All I want is to build a Penn State future that is the heart of Coalescence - A new Florence. State College should become the Florence of a new age - The Age of Coalescence. Where ideas can be spoken freely. Where artists and scientists can speak the same language. Where ideas can be freely debated, openly and unabated. I dream of a University with a laissez-faire approach to the faculty. I want to inspire the youth of Penn State to take action; march on Harrisburg; become the leaders of this new age. I want to go the BOT, not to play nicely, but to destroy it. I want to peel back the facade of Pennsylvania politics and expose it for what it truly is. I want to see black man and white man, gay man and straight man, male and female lock elbows and proclaim: I AM HUMAN! Yet, people here, loathe me.

Tutto l'amore che ho! Tutto l'amore che ho, indeed!

"Humanities future can not be its' past."
-------Michael Peter Felli

Il cuore di un leone!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT