ADVERTISEMENT

Main campus fall classes and enrollment

Little J

Sep 17, 2001
For those of you who have students who are at main, what does their schedule look like in terms of online classes vs live lecture?

My kid is biology and his roomie engineering. Both are sophomores. Between the two of them my son has a one credit lab that is live and the rest are on line. The roomie has already withdrawn from campus figuring why pay the room and board. I’ll likely have my kid withdrawal as well as it seems silly to pay to be there when it all is on line. He is not very happy about it and I can only imaging the impact to State College economy with half the campus empty. What a mess.

For those of you who have students who are at main, what does their schedule look like in terms of online classes vs live lecture?

My kid is biology and his roomie engineering. Both are sophomores. Between the two of them my son has a one credit lab that is live and the rest are on line. The roomie has already withdrawn from campus figuring why pay the room and board. I’ll likely have my kid withdrawal as well as it seems silly to pay to be there when it all is on line. He is not very happy about it and I can only imaging the impact to State College economy with half the campus empty. What a mess.

My son is at the Harrisburg campus. We haven't heard the breakdown of live vs on-line yet. How were you able to find out?

My sister had all classes moved to online and I think paying for room and board is silly as well for remote learning. If they have students up there in their apartments not going to classes, how is that going to be good in stopping this thing from spreading.

I think the potential issue with not having a room in the fall is you might not have it in the spring if classes are in person.

My neighbor has a daughter who will be a sophomore thus fall. She says the semester has been moved up -mud Aug to T giving.

I have no idea if she is correct. But that’s what she informed me.

My neighbor has a daughter who will be a sophomore thus fall. She says the semester has been moved up -mud Aug to T giving.

Then don’t go back after thanksgiving, last week and finals are remote.

Reactions: bison13

There is no change in the actual dates of the Fall 2020 semester. Students will leave for Thanksgiving break and the rest of the semester is virtual.

We should be hearing from Barron shortly about tuition rates.

Reactions: step.eng69

But if she was incorrect, she misinformed you

My daughter will be a sophomore. All classes but one have been moved online so far. Same with all of her friends. Unfortunately locked into a lease at the rise. So she will be taking online classes in her apartment with her roommates. Not sure why the professors cannot stand behind plexiglass and teach in person. I am sure they have been out shopping somewhere and rail same exposure to the virus. They can have zero contact if they choose.

Many instructors are going to go online even if not for safety, but rather convenience. Sad that some are going to take easy route even when they don’t have to do so.

That's what we're doing, too. The logic is to not bring students back to campus after being home for Thanksgiving in the hope that, if a student does get sick, he/she will have enough time to get healthy before spring semester (among other reasons). Only time will tell if this is actually what happens.

Many instructors are going to go online even if not for safety, but rather convenience. Sad that some are going to take easy route even when they don’t have to do so.
Before you disparage "many instructors" please know that there are a lot of moving parts, a lot of unknowns, and a lot of decisions being made without faculty input all over the country right now.

My sister had all classes moved to online and I think paying for room and board is silly as well for remote learning. If they have students up there in their apartments not going to classes, how is that going to be good in stopping this thing from spreading.

Oh, you're concerned about it spreading now?? How many times are you going to flip flop your opinion?

Oh...."many instructors"....I guess you know all of them and can make that statement...:rolleyes:
I'm not at PSU, but my T/TH undergrad class this fall will be in-person/hybrid meaning I will teach half the class in person on Tuesday while the other half participates remotely, and then they switch on Thursday. We'll be in a bigger classroom that allows for social distancing and masks are required. Of course, all that can change between now and August.

Before you disparage "many instructors" please know that there are a lot of moving parts, a lot of unknowns, and a lot of decisions being made without faculty input all over the country right now.

Well what the hell is the Facu
Oh...."many instructors"....I guess you know all of them and can make that statement...:rolleyes:

99% of total posts on this board are opinion and not facts, so...

I do know 2 instructors that are taking the online route and it really has nothing to do with safety.

That's what we're doing, too. The logic is to not bring students back to campus after being home for Thanksgiving in the hope that, if a student does get sick, he/she will have enough time to get healthy before spring semester (among other reasons). Only time will tell if this is actually what happens.

The COVID-19 ASS. BEATING. :eek: could happen at colleges long before Thanksgiving. I hope I’m wrong, but we’re looking at three months of students congregating at bars, parties, etc., some of whom won’t SOCIAL. DISTANCE. :eek: or wear MASKS. :eek: . Plus, some students will go home or take other trips on weekends and could bring the virus back to campus with them. It could get ugly, but again, I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Well what the hell is the Facu

99% of total posts on this board are opinion and not facts, so...

I do know 2 instructors that are taking the online route and it really has nothing to do with safety.
I don't think you finished your thought about Facu...Also, 2 is not statistically significant and really only says something about those 2. My personal experience is that the vast majority of instructors will do what's best for their students.

The COVID-19 ASS. BEATING. :eek: could happen at colleges long before Thanksgiving. I hope I’m wrong, but we’re looking at three months of students congregating at bars, parties, etc., some of whom won’t SOCIAL. DISTANCE. :eek: or wear MASKS. :eek: . Plus, some students will go home or take other trips on weekends and could bring the virus back to campus with them. It could ugly, but again, I hope I’m wrong.

I would never congregate at bars and parties at college during a pandemic.

Oh hell yes I would considering how immature as I was back at PSU.

I live next to a prof who is nearing 70 y/o. He's been teaching at PSU for more than 30 years. You'd think he'd retire since he refuses to risk his health because he's "at risk"

Reactions: bison13
My son is a Junior. 3 classes online and 2 in person, as of now. He has off campus housing and will stay there. Part of going to college is making responsible decisions, This is a challenging year for everyone. Has anyone heard anything about online classes being charged World campus prices?

I thought a professor got a number of allies to support his complaint about no faculty input, but then we discovered there was faculty input (just not his).

My daughter will be a sophomore. All classes but one have been moved online so far. Same with all of her friends. Unfortunately locked into a lease at the rise. So she will be taking online classes in her apartment with her roommates. Not sure why the professors cannot stand behind plexiglass and teach in person. I am sure they have been out shopping somewhere and rail same exposure to the virus. They can have zero contact if they choose.
If it were only that simple. How do you teach a class with an enrollment of 40 when max capacity for the assigned learning space is only 12?

That is correct.

It is not as simple as that. Due to social distancing requirements there is a lack of classroom space. A class of 50 now basically needs a room built for 150. Some who want to teach face to face are being told there is no room.

Reactions: step.eng69
If it were only that simple. How do you teach a class with an enrollment of 40 when max capacity for the assigned learning space is only 12?
I get your point, but doubt any school would schedule a 40-person class in a room that holds 12. I also doubt there are very many learning spaces that only hold 12. Regardless, it's going to take creative scheduling and a lot of flexibility that some schools just don't have.

I get your point, but doubt any school would schedule a 40-person class in a room that holds 12. I also doubt there are very many learning spaces that only hold 12. Regardless, it's going to take creative scheduling and a lot of flexibility that some schools just don't have.

many schools have already come out with their game plan publicly - i.e. Purdue. Everyone that I have heard have said that they expect the majority of classes to be on site. The idea to start a week early and don't come back after TG is what i have heard the most. schools are working to figure out how to schedule rooms around for lower density, and how to figure what will be on line. I think many schools cannot afford an extended on line mix. our neighbors have daughter at one of the directional schools and that is what she is planning. she expects 70% on premise so she is checking in dorm in early August. she also had to digitally sign some type of behavior and waiver agreement.

They are because they have no choice. Rooms are being limited to a max capacity of 30% of original capacity....hence a 40 person room being limited to 12 students. There is not enough classroom space to accommodate the majority of classes without placing a lot of additional burden on the faculty to ensure all students can be equally accommodated.

many schools have already come out with their game plan publicly - i.e. Purdue. Everyone that I have heard have said that they expect the majority of classes to be on site. The idea to start a week early and don't come back after TG is what i have heard the most. schools are working to figure out how to schedule rooms around for lower density, and how to figure what will be on line. I think many schools cannot afford an extended on line mix. our neighbors have daughter at one of the directional schools and that is what she is planning. she expects 70% on premise so she is checking in dorm in early August. she also had to digitally sign some type of behavior and waiver agreement.
Yeah, it's clearly not ideal, but it is what it is. Some classes (and instructors) can function pretty well as an in-person/hybrid combo, some can't, although I guess that can apply to any class (and instructor), regardless of it's structure.

My problem is with people who have never taught a class at any level and have no idea what it takes to teach a college course (let alone re-schedule every single class offered), but seem to know a lot about how it all works.

I would never congregate at bars and parties at college during a pandemic.

Oh hell yes I would considering how immature as I was back at PSU.

Many college kids simply refuse to be constrained. Same for many adults. We’ve been seeing it all over the country.

They are because they have no choice. Rooms are being limited to a max capacity of 30% of original capacity....hence a 40 person room being limited to 12 students. There is not enough classroom space to accommodate the majority of classes without placing a lot of additional burden on the faculty to ensure all students can be equally accommodated.
Oh, I get it. My bad. I misunderstand your point.

Like I said in my previous reply, it's going to take a lot of "thinking outside the box." I imagine for things to work, some classes will likely have to be taught at night and over the weekend. We're really going to have to get used to some significant variations in what we typically associate with normal like 8-5, M-F, August-May.

It'll be hard, but it could end up being for the best in the long run.

Yeah, it's clearly not ideal, but it is what it is. Some classes (and instructors) can function pretty well as an in-person/hybrid combo, some can't, although I guess that can apply to any class (and instructor), regardless of it's structure.

My problem is with people who have never taught a class at any level and have no idea what it takes to teach a college course (let alone re-schedule every single class offered), but seem to know a lot about how it all works.
I’m teaching online this fall. I had no say in this decision and it’s anything but convenient, other than for the time I save by not commuting. The preparation necessary to teach online efficiently takes half again as much time as teaching face-to-face.

Reactions: cment and NJPSU
Many college kids simply refuse to be constrained. Same for many adults. We’ve been seeing it all over the country.
Oh, I hear ya there. We had an "F Bryce Jordan!" party in the dorm my freshman or sophomore year when he was cracking down on drinking in the dorms in the mid 80s. We were going to show him, and we did!

Or didn't. I don't remember. I was too busy trying to hook up. And on that, I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Reactions: AvgUser
I posted last week how all the classes were being moved on line and some idiot screamed at me how wrong I was and said just wait. There was a post by a PSU prof that basically said the admin is pushing for all online classes accept for labs. This prof admitted the education is nowhere near as good as she teaches math and cannot walk around the room and understand what kids are having trouble with to emphasize , really cannot have questions asked, etc....she said she will do her best with on-line but only so good can do. also noted that some profs were not good teachers to begin with (more there for research) and that going online is really making them struggle.

I’m teaching online this fall. I had no say in this decision and it’s anything but convenient, other than for the time I save by not commuting. The preparation necessary to teach online efficiently takes half again as much time as teaching face-to-face.
I had some say in the structure of my class, but it was really a matter of choosing the lesser of several evils. While I much prefer in-person, I can make hybrid work for what I'm teaching (political science focusing on environmental policy).

Reactions: LionJim
I posted last week how all the classes were being moved on line and some idiot screamed at me how wrong I was and said just wait. There was a post by a PSU prof that basically said the admin is pushing for all online classes accept for labs. This prof admitted the education is nowhere near as good as she teaches math and cannot walk around the room and understand what kids are having trouble with to emphasize , really cannot have questions asked, etc....she said she will do her best with on-line but only so good can do. also noted that some profs were not good teachers to begin with (more there for research) and that going online is really making them struggle.

every student survey I have seen supports exactly what you say. students find online much less functional to learn. this in spite of all the technologies we see supporting the virtual space. tech does not seem to be the salvation. staying in a dorm and taking all online makes no sense to most students.

PSU pulled a little bit of a fast one on students also. they implied via some communication that only the greater than 250 people classes would be online. but in reality, i bet 90%+ will end up on line and they only started switching everything last week.

Sounds like you read a post from a shitty and lazy prof.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT