ADVERTISEMENT

Made the mistake of watching the game again

mikemauti42

Oct 6, 2012
I recommend not doing it. From 11 minutes left in the second quarter on, penn State out played Pitt out scoring them 32-14(with the benefit of a kick return) But for a dropped touchdown by Hamilton and a mistake by a first year starter, it probably would have been 39-14. Penn State is the better team but unfortunately they let a slow start get them in too big of a hole. I think a big mistake was not going to Barkley after the Conner fumble. That said, I am proud of the heart this team showed. This was Pitt's super bowl and they hung on to do just enough to win it. pitt fans will make this victory out to be something it's not. Penn States not going anywhere, if fact, I think Yesterday was the beginning of their return

I recommend not doing it. From 11 minutes left in the second quarter on, penn State out played Pitt out scoring them 32-14(with the benefit of a kick return) But for a dropped touchdown by Hamilton and a mistake by a first year starter, it probably would have been 39-14. Penn State is the better team but unfortunately they let a slow start get them in too big of a hole. I think a big mistake was not going to Barkley after the Conner fumble. That said, I am proud of the heart this team showed. This was Pitt's super bowl and they hung on to do just enough to win it. pitt fans will make this victory out to be something it's not. Penn States not going anywhere, if fact, I think Yesterday was the beginning of their return
No doubt it is sickening to watch again. Particularly for those that were predicting a big win for PSU.

"slow start", lmao.

That being said, this is the best team Pitt team in 20 years. PSU and Pitt are very equal this year. (Actually, if we played toward the end of the season we would be the better team, youth will be served). I would expect that next year and in the future the gap will widen. It is really inevitable because of recruiting. Pitt will still be an OK team into the future. WE ARE !!!!

That being said, this is the best team Pitt team in 20 years. PSU and Pitt are very equal this year. (Actually, if we played toward the end of the season we would be the better team, youth will be served). I would expect that next year and in the future the gap will widen. It is really inevitable because of recruiting. Pitt will still be an OK team into the future. WE ARE !!!!
PSU is going to beat them badly the next few years. We knew they might lose this first game, and we also know that the talent gap is going to start showing itself the next few years. It's too bad it won't be 4-0, but Pitt has a decent, veteran team this year. It will almost certainly be 3-1 though.

PSU is going to beat them badly the next few years. We knew they might lose this first game, and we also know that the talent gap is going to start showing itself the next few years. It's too bad it won't be 4-0, but Pitt has a decent, veteran team this year. It will almost certainly be 3-1 though.

Pitt ran for 341 yards. Claiming any type of bravado is comical. If not for the heroic play of Trace, we're blown off the field.

I agree guns. To say we will beat anyone 3 years in a row is absurd with this staff.

Reactions: rojo36
I agree guns. To say we will beat anyone 3 years in a row is absurd with this staff.

It's getting kinda funny actually, this recreation of the same game that occurred a little over 24 hours ago...I could have just sworn I had a conversation with my friend Jeff Byers last night, about how we agreed that Penn State was not prepared to play, and Penn State was not intense or passionate from the kickoff, the way Pitt was, and that Penn State lost the game, for the most part, because of that.

Sorry, I had it wrong, according to a little clique on this board, we didn't lose after all! All is well, and anyone pointing out what is wrong, is a "little girl", "coward", and "needs to man up or accept a lifetime ban", HAHAHAHA.

Reactions: rojo36 and Chaos
They have two of them. They don't want to lift their shirts. That's on them.

Maybe they are just not ready? or that good ? I had hoped an "experienced" LB group would help our "very young" D-line, apparently not. There is no way Pitt should have been able to run the way they did, that was on the LBs, in my opinion. I just hope the LBs committed for next year are the real deal, although I do like the Bowen kid. In my opinion he should be a starter :)
I do believe we will get better every week on the DL.

Reactions: StinkStankStunk

while I agree that it is premature to assume we win 3 in a row, yesterday's game had some unique issues that had a large impact. call it excuses = but it is fact.

Losing Cabinda created a completely new defensive situation. when that was followed by Bell's injury and Givens being lost, the team had a physical and tactical disadvantage. Pitt could now scheme a lot easier than if we had a full lineup. IF all these guys are available from the start, this is a different game. I think Pry was trying to adjust with the entire LB group in flux.

I would say that the lack of LB depth is partly due to the coaches. Clearly, this staff is now working on their 4th recruiting class (2017), and we have landed few LBs, and none who would be considered nationally elite. we are elite or near at so many positions, but LBU cannot get a single top drawer LB to commit. I put that on coaches, as if we had recruited LB talent, we would now be in a much better position.

while I agree that it is premature to assume we win 3 in a row, yesterday's game had some unique issues that had a large impact. call it excuses = but it is fact.

Losing Cabinda created a completely new defensive situation. when that was followed by Bell's injury and Givens being lost, the team had a physical and tactical disadvantage. Pitt could now scheme a lot easier than if we had a full lineup. IF all these guys are available from the start, this is a different game. I think Pry was trying to adjust with the entire LB group in flux.

I would say that the lack of LB depth is partly due to the coaches. Clearly, this staff is now working on their 4th recruiting class (2017), and we have landed few LBs, and none who would be considered nationally elite. we are elite or near at so many positions, but LBU cannot get a single top drawer LB to commit. I put that on coaches, as if we had recruited LB talent, we would now be in a much better position.

Post here much Coach Franklin?

Maybe they are just not ready? or that good ? I had hoped an "experienced" LB group would help our "very young" D-line, apparently not. There is no way Pitt should have been able to run the way they did, that was on the LBs, in my opinion. I just hope the LBs committed for next year are the real deal, although I do like the Bowen kid. In my opinion he should be a starter :)
I do believe we will get better every week on the DL.

A LOT of it was on 43, unfortunately. He was lost for most of the game, backpeddling with runs in FRONT of him. 33 was even worse, like, Williams/Benfatti worse, not kidding, just watched the film again. 5 is playing on one leg and can't run, and even 11 isn't half the player he was two years ago. I have no idea what is wrong, but something went south. Pry needs to figure it out, and start playing press with his corners...29 is a player. I have no idea where 15 was, and 2 was late to the party on at least a dozen plays. 6 is actually one of the few who is playing his ass off. We missed 30 badly. Need to figure it out because 40 will be out again this week and probably in Ann Arbor too.

Reactions: Fizz1

Just STFU about the DT and LB recruiting. You're a broken record.

There were kids they didn't go after that they could have developed, instead they swung and missed, and then ended up with nothing. Too late now, game 3 coming up and 43 and 33 need to figure it out because right now they are dangerously close to Williams/Benfatti/Capone land.

Who is responsible for recruiting and developing linebackers?

The current crop where inherited. That being said, there have been a couple of good ones that we just missed on. We do have a couple of four stars committed for next year. Not sure what else can be done. Just hope we can get one more good one for next year. Oh, and a couple of DTs, although youth is the biggest problem thus far.

Patience is a virtue :)

This coming from someone that did NOT want Franklin to be hired :)

The current crop where inherited. That being said, there have been a couple of good ones that we just missed on. We do have a couple of four stars committed for next year. Not sure what else can be done. Just hope we can get one more good one for next year. Oh, and a couple of DTs, although youth is the biggest problem thus far.

Patience is a virtue :)

This coming from someone that did NOT want Franklin to be hired :)

I hear you on patience. I am just hoping I leave going enough to see a Penn State team playing Penn State football. Things can be accelerated, but it requires guts and risk-taking.

Again, O'brien. Not only did he entirely neglect his O line, he whiffed his ass off all over the place in other areas.

Reactions: nits74
But what if Dontez Ford catches the ball that hits him in his shoulder resulting in that int? Pitt ultimately finishes the drive and goes up 35-7? What if Conner doesn't fumble? What if what if what if. How about, what if Penn State's crap front 7 didn't give up 300 plus yards on the ground? Just sayin. These grapes are extra sour, huh?

But what if Dontez Ford catches the ball that hits him in his shoulder resulting in that int? Pitt ultimately finishes the drive and goes up 35-7? What if Conner doesn't fumble? What if what if what if. How about, what if Penn State's crap front 7 didn't give up 300 plus yards on the ground? Just sayin. These grapes are extra sour, huh?

Thanks, no go crawl back under your rock.

I enjoyed the comment this is Pitt's best team in 20 years after a two game sample. Whatever makes ya feel good about struggling against Kent and losing to Pitt. But hey, good luck against Temple. Maybe you'll get em this year.

The Hamilton drop still has me feeling sick to my stomach.

Most of us, also. But keep in mind that if he scores, pitt has 2 minutes to drive it down and win on a last second conner rush... hell, might be a short drive if they reel off another monster KO return.

Still, it was there and who knows how pitt responds seeing their once insurmountable lead evaporate. maybe they panic. i'd like to have seen that last 2 minutes play out with us ahead 46-42.

I enjoyed the comment this is Pitt's best team in 20 years after a two game sample. Whatever makes ya feel good about struggling against Kent and losing to Pitt. But hey, good luck against Temple. Maybe you'll get em this year.
You're right, it is a little too early to tell. But if this year's Pitt team loses fewer than three games, I think we can all agree it will be Pitt's best team in 35 years (that's how long it's been, there Banksville).

Pitt ran for 341 yards. Claiming any type of bravado is comical. If not for the heroic play of Trace, we're blown off the field.
But Trace did play and we didn't get blown off the field, so what is your point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT