ADVERTISEMENT

Mac Hippenhammer.

I like this on several fronts.

It probably means he is one hell of a great athlete/talent similar to others who have done this in the modern era.

It probably means he is doing well enough in the classroom and with the football requirements/playbook that he can take on this additional challenge.

It shows that Franklin is a man of his word and has kept his side of the bargain with Mac, which probably speaks volumes to future recruits and their families.

First game of the season and he pinch ran in the 8th. Agree 100% Palmetto, he must be a great student, baseball takes more time away from campus than any other sport. Combine that with lifting and he has zero free time. PSU won 2-1 over Elon. 31 total strikeouts in the game only 9 hits. Last year, they were down right awful, 6 ERA and 230 Avg. I saw one of the games when they were swept at Delaware last year. They didnt even put up a fight, shutout that day. Saw another at MD and just as bad. Serious lack of pitching talent and only a couple hitters who can handle the good pitchers. Most of their wins were against lower level D1's like Columbia, Bucknell and Nova. They could use some more football players in my opinion. I will say that Hagenman was 1-11 last year but looks like he pitched great, so maybe these guys can tun it around too.

Hippenhammer is listed at 170 on the updated roster. Not to be a scrooge, but playing baseball isn't going to help him gain the muscle mass he needs to get on the field.

Hippenhammer is listed at 170 on the updated roster. Not to be a scrooge, but playing baseball isn't going to help him gain the muscle mass he needs to get on the field.

Desean Jackson is listed at 5’11 175lbs.

Jordan Norwood was listed at 5’11 171lbs when he played here as a senior.

Not overly concerned about 170ish for a slot WR.

Frankly, I don’t think WRs and CBs should ever gain more than 10lbs as their college playing weight.

Desean Jackson is listed at 5’11 175lbs.

Jordan Norwood was listed at 5’11 171lbs when he played here as a senior.

Not overly concerned about 170ish for a slot WR.

Frankly, I don’t think WRs and CBs should ever gain more than 10lbs as their college playing weight.

Hamilton played the position the last two years at 206, and he was a weight room warrior to boot. In this system, the slot receiver is regularly asked to block linebackers and even wham down on a defensive end once in awhile. A 5-11, 170lb wide receiver isn't going to have much of an impact trying to block Big Ten linebackers and defensive ends. I'm not saying they could never get on the field, but you need someone bigger to get the majority of the snaps.

That's what I thought as well. Especially this Spring where there will be competition among the 3 redshirt freshmen WR's to get on the depth chart and in the rotation along with JJ, Thompkins and Polk. This Spring is a time for the young WR's to make their mark, because if they don't they may get passed up quickly when Shorter, George and Dotson begin practicing with the team in the Fall.....

I was also surprised that Polk has not added a little more muscle to his frame, if the roster weight is correct at 171....

Reactions: TheGLOV
Could he play outfield for the Pirates?

I think you can still play "pro" for one sport and be on a college scholarship for another sport and not lose it.

A.K.A the Bahr brothers.
True you can get paid to play baseball and still be an amateur in football

Hamilton played the position the last two years at 206, and he was a weight room warrior to boot. In this system, the slot receiver is regularly asked to block linebackers and even wham down on a defensive end once in awhile. A 5-11, 170lb wide receiver isn't going to have much of an impact trying to block Big Ten linebackers and defensive ends. I'm not saying they could never get on the field, but you need someone bigger to get the majority of the snaps.

Great logic. The 3 slot receivers are all too small. McSorley is too small to play QB. None of the RBs are as big as Saquon so they can't play. Half the roster is too small and the other half is too big.

Great logic. The 3 slot receivers are all too small. McSorley is too small to play QB. None of the RBs are as big as Saquon so they can't play. Half the roster is too small and the other half is too big.

Staff was talking this offseason about possibly moving JJ to slot to get more size there for exactly the reasons I laid out. It is great logic.

giphy.gif

Some kids get bigger and stronger, some don't. Thompkins is up to 191 and is one of the best blocking wide receivers, if not the best.

So if he puts on 20 lbs in THREE years your original point is irrelevant?

Guess what Thompkins weight was on his recruiting bio?

https://247sports.com/Player/DeAndre-Thompkins-25093/high-school-40417

You don't think a 5-11 170 WR will have much of an impact but you name Thompkins even though he came in at 5-11 170lbs. PSU bio lists him at 5-11.

Last edited:
Danny ainge I believe as wrll
Devin Barclay, the kicker tOSU had a few years back. He had a couple seasons with the Columbus Crew in MLS and was taking classes on the side. He then went back to school full time and was a placekicker for the football team.

So if he puts on 20 lbs in THREE years your original point is irrelevant?

Guess what Thompkins weight was on his recruiting bio?

https://247sports.com/Player/DeAndre-Thompkins-25093/high-school-40417

You don't think a 5-11 170 WR will have much of an impact but you name Thompkins even though he came in at 5-11 170lbs. PSU bio lists him at 5-11.

And Thompkins was not too effective until he put on some muscle. And the redshirt freshmen that have not been working hard in the weight program likely won't be too effective either, until they get their bodies ready to get through jams and block DB's and LB's. And if the bigger 2018 class WR's (Shorter & George) come in ready to play any redshirt freshmen WR that doesn't have the body to block and play WR at a high level may get passed by.

You exaggerated, but yes, the RB's that are not as strong as Saquon won't break as many tackles as he did.

It's football.

Hip wants to play both, let's celebrate that. My son is a soph QB in high school who also plays C/3rd/CF for his high school and showcase. His dream is to play at PSU and play both, but very few can play both at that level. I sat with Coach Cutcliffe at Duke last year while he watched my son. It took two seconds for Cutcliffe to say, baseball player right? I said yep. He said "I love multi sport kids." Son went on to win camp accuracy award at the end and Coach just smiled.

In most cases I have found the guys who play both at the college level leave little time for getting in trouble or partying. My guess is Hip will be just fine. Maybe it takes one extra season before he breaks out but my guess is he does great things for both programs.

As a redshirt FR, I would truly be satisfied if Mac comes in and blows the top off defenses once or twice a game. Mike Gesicki was 250 ish and he still wasn't an effective blocker five years into the program (one hell of a receiver though!!!).

The point is, if he is willing to get in a guys way and doesn't whiff then that's great for his size. Being overly worried about that is a major worry? I think we are ok.

As a psu student in the late 70s I had a friend on the baseball team. It wasn't a really popular sport.

One day I asked him how many fans they got at home games

He says, "between five and ten thousand"
I said. "Really, I had no idea ".
He says, " yup, between five................. and ten thousand fans"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT