ADVERTISEMENT

Tampering

I didn’t say I hated you. I don’t like you. OK, I don’t like the fact that you guys are winning national championships on a regular basis, but, I don’t really hate anything.

Except brussels sprouts. Those things suck!

Z
I don’t know the last time you tried Brussel sprouts, but the taste has changed over the past10 years or so. They are amazing these days. I roast them in butter, lemon, garlic. So good!

I didn’t say I hated you. I don’t like you. OK, I don’t like the fact that you guys are winning national championships on a regular basis, but, I don’t really hate anything.

Z
Just for the record you point makes sense I think on the most part the winners are more hated because they are on top. I've looked at how I view Iowa the last week based on some of the posts you have written and based on some of the shit I said about Iowa. In the end I question why I would really hate any team or fan base. Iowa fans are very fanatical about their team and I respect that as most PSU fans are fanatical about our team. The differences between fan bases is just opinion and everyone has the right to their opinion. I guess I don't hate Iowa I just love Penn state and iowa is the biggest rival we have in any event thanks for all your posts this last week they were very well thought out and opened my eyes to some things.

Actually brings up a topic of discussion that I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately. Are sports dynasties good for anybody but the fan of the team that is doing well?
I think dynasties bring casual fans and even some non-fans to the sport. At least for the post-season.

How many women’s basketball games have you watched that didn’t have UCONN in it?

Just for the record you point makes sense I think on the most part the winners are more hated because they are on top. I've looked at how I view Iowa the last week based on some of the posts you have written and based on some of the shit I said about Iowa. In the end I question why I would really hate any team or fan base. Iowa fans are very fanatical about their team and I respect that as most PSU fans are fanatical about our team. The differences between fan bases is just opinion and everyone has the right to their opinion. I guess I don't hate Iowa I just love Penn state and iowa is the biggest rival we have in any event thanks for all your posts this last week they were very well thought out and opened my eyes to some things.
giphy.gif

I love Iowa. If we were winning championship after championship in a vacuum how much fun would that be. Iowa plays a large role in our enjoyment in winning.

I don’t know. Do you remember how it felt when we were winning all those championships?

Z
When Iowa was winning all the time, I rooted for PSU guys in the finals. Then I would look up PSU all Americans and be happy when we had a few. It’s almost like how I view our new favorite team Northwestern!

Go Cats!

Did they do something to change the makeup of the vegetable? If not I am going with they suck and let go at that.
Not to worry, these aren't Frankensprouts produced through gene splicing and dicing between completely unrelated species. Instead, the better-tasting varieties came about through years of painstaking traditional plant breeding. As NPR recently reported, after Dutch scientists identified exactly what made these veggies bitter in the 1990s, seed companies in the Netherlands began searching through their extensive collections of older varieties of Brussels sprouts for ones that have a lower concentration of glucosinolates. Once the most promising varieties were identified, plant breeders crossed them with newer varieties that had other desirable characteristics such as higher yields and excellent disease-resistance. The resulting varieties have proven popular with both farmers and chefs, and ultimately anyone who eats them.

My wife's favorite. It's tolerable if you render some fat from pancetta and toss them with the sprouts cut in half. Salt and pepper and roast until they and the pancetta are crispy. That's not so bad.
But steamed with butter...gross.
Add a splash of good balsamic and some toasted walnuts at the end!!
01071516200664294.jpg

They key to good brussel sprouts is to not harvest them until after the first good frost. Kinda like a riesling grape or something, it sweetens them up quite a bit.

To summarize recent discussion: Fans of teams that win are happier than fans of teams that don't win as much. Seems about right.

Actually brings up a topic of discussion that I’ve been thinking about quite a bit lately. Are sports dynasties good for anybody but the fan of the team that is doing well?

When Iowa wrestling was on its run, it was all sunshine and roses. Now you guys are on your run, and most of the wrestling world hates you.

Look at college football. Is Alabama the most hated team? Did it used to be Notre Dame, Florida, USC, Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma? Yeah, I think there is something that comes along with winning that fan bases aren’t prepared for, and that’s losing. After being on top of the world, many aren’t able to handle the other end of the spectrum. The kind of ironic thing about it is that most teams that were dynasties, are still very good. They just start winning national championships. And that’s the part people can’t handle. They have experienced the highest level of success, now they just expect it.

and I think that’s a pretty accurate description of both of our Fanbase is right now. 2020 you weren’t happy. And prior to 2010 I don’t think you were very happy either. Is it human nature? Idk. I know many Iowa fans haven’t been particularly happy about your run. Just like Oklahoma State fans were not happy about Iowa’s run of success.

Does it always end with some type of coaching change?

Mike

All except for the fact that it was Iowa State who ended Oklahoma State's dominance, not Iowa (actually Oklahoma State won most of their titles when they were still called by their original name, Oklahoma A&T). Oklahoma A&T won the inaugural NCAA Wrestling Championships in 1928 and Oklahoma A&T/State would win 25 of the next 40 NCAA Wrestling Championships thru 1968 (26 total thru 1968) - Oklahoma had the 2nd most titles at that point in time (6). Iowa State which had exactly 2 titles at the time would win 4 of the next 5 titles from 1969 - 1973 under legendary coach Dr. Harold Nichols (1973 was Nichols 6th Title as he also won one in 1965). In fact, Gable wrestled for Nichols at ISU and was coaching for Nichols when he took the lead assistant job at Iowa in 1975 - the first year Iowa won a Championship (many credit the arrival of Gable as the catalyst that led to Iowa's 1st ever Championship in 1975 and in fact, even though he was hired as an assistant, Gable would be HC in 1977 (Iowa won the 1976 Championship as well under Gary Kurdelmeier, but he was made AD in 1977 and the reins were handed over to Gable)). So in every way, it was Nichols at ISU (both in his own dominance from 1969 - 1973 and in his being Gable's mentor) who ended Okie A&T/State's long run of dominance, not Iowa.... Iowa's dominance came AFTER, and was a direct result of [via Dr. Harold Nichols], Iowa State's dominance of the sport in the late 60s - early 70s.

Last edited:

When Iowa wrestling was on its run, it was all sunshine and roses. Now you guys are on your run, and most of the wrestling world hates you.

Look at college football. Is Alabama the most hated team? Did it used to be Notre Dame, Florida, USC, Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma? Yeah, I think there is something that comes along with winning that fan bases aren’t prepared for, and that’s losing. After being on top of the world, many aren’t able to handle the other end of the spectrum. The kind of ironic thing about it is that most teams that were dynasties, are still very good. They just start winning national championships. And that’s the part people can’t handle. They have experienced the highest level of success, now they just expect it.

and I think that’s a pretty accurate description of both of our Fanbase is right now. 2020 you weren’t happy. And prior to 2010 I don’t think you were very happy either. Is it human nature? Idk. I know many Iowa fans haven’t been particularly happy about your run. Just like Oklahoma State fans were not happy about Iowa’s run of success.

Mike
I'm not giving up our trophies for the reason of equity.

If you want to that is fine. I'm sure Pitt would take them.

Z
Used to hate them but when my wife learned how to make them, they became a staple on our table

I don’t know. Do you remember how it felt when we were winning all those championships?

Z
I don't have a memory of D1 wrestling prior to cael arriving in HV.

Your tHR decoder ring should have that.

As far as last year I'm happy your team got one. Helped to keep the anti depressants flowing to those who truly need it.

All except for the fact that it was Iowa State who ended Oklahoma State's dominance, not Iowa (actually Oklahoma State won most of their titles when they were still called by their original name, Oklahoma A&T). Oklahoma A&T won the inaugural NCAA Wrestling Championships in 1928 and Oklahoma A&T/State would win 25 of the next 40 NCAA Wrestling Championships thru 1968 (26 total thru 1968) - Oklahoma had the 2nd most titles at that point in time (6). Iowa State which had exactly 2 titles at the time would win 4 of the next 5 titles from 1969 - 1973 under legendary coach Dr. Harold Nichols (1973 was Nichols 6th Title as he also won one in 1965). In fact, Gable wrestled for Nichols at ISU and was coaching for Nichols when he took the lead assistant job at Iowa in 1975 - the first year Iowa won a Championship (many credit the arrival of Gable as the catalyst that led to Iowa's 1st ever Championship in 1975 and in fact, even though he was hired as an assistant, Gable would be HC in 1977 (Iowa won the 1976 Championship as well under Gary Kurdelmeier, but he was made AD in 1977 and the reins were handed over to Gable). So in every way, it was Nichols at ISU (both in his own dominance from 1969 - 1973 and in his being Gable's mentor) who ended Okie A&T/State's long run of dominance, not Iowa.... Iowa's dominance came AFTER, and was a direct result of [via Dr. Harold Nichols], Iowa State's dominance of the sport in the late 60s - early 70s.
When you get into the 1950s and 60s you're right in @CJFisJoePaII 's wheelhouse!
Have you read Dan Brabender's books BTW? I saw him at the funeral home yesterday and he gave me a copy of his latest one.

Z
No, I wasn't following wrestling closely then. A very good friend was a Lehigh grad and wrestling supporter. I had started my second retirement and the NCAAs were in St. Louis and he was the local host. I stayed at his home and went to every session and walked to the train station to bring back fudge and other goodies to share with his buddies. Wonderful seats in 3 sections so we could get better views in the early rounds. Lehigh finished 3rd and the after meet banquet was special. Met the wrestlers and the coach. I followed Lehigh for several years. Liked the dedication of the kids.

When my friend died too young I followed PSU. Cael was such a fine role model and the whole team seemed galvanized by him. Never paid any attention to Iowa until just a couple of years ago. I started reading ludicrous posts being reported as coming from HR. Never read, joined or posted on HR. The only interest Iowa or other teams hold for me is if they have top quality wrestlers who can push PSU. I enjoy competitive duals and tournaments. Having HR posters lose their alleged minds is just a fringe benefit if I hear about it. I must admit that I skim through posts about Iowa and other IMO "wasteful" topics until I see something pass by that feels as if it deserves a quick shot.

There may well be many wonderful fans of Iowa sports. You may well be a very decent person and you seem serious. I'm just not likely to want much contact with Iowa fans. At least we both like high level fishing and wrestling. Have a good day, but not as good as PSU fans are having.

I think dynasties bring casual fans and even some non-fans to the sport. At least for the post-season.

How many women’s basketball games have you watched that didn’t have UCONN in it?
Actually, I’m weird….I’ve seen a few and don’t watch UCONN. We have really been fortunate the last few years to have some really good players and good teams in The Black and Gold.

but, I get it.

Z

Z
I remember this well, even if I was a kid. Going to Rec Hall for an Iowa dual felt like going to war. It was actually a lot of fun, but yeah, I didn't have much love in my heart for Dan and his boys. Respect, certainly, but no love.

Reactions: hlstone
Not to worry, these aren't Frankensprouts produced through gene splicing and dicing between completely unrelated species. Instead, the better-tasting varieties came about through years of painstaking traditional plant breeding. As NPR recently reported, after Dutch scientists identified exactly what made these veggies bitter in the 1990s, seed companies in the Netherlands began searching through their extensive collections of older varieties of Brussels sprouts for ones that have a lower concentration of glucosinolates. Once the most promising varieties were identified, plant breeders crossed them with newer varieties that had other desirable characteristics such as higher yields and excellent disease-resistance. The resulting varieties have proven popular with both farmers and chefs, and ultimately anyone who eats them.
Cool. I recall telling people I’ll eat just about anything except PB&J and bsprouts. Now it’s just PB&J. Oh, and I’m not a fan of sea urchin at a sushi joint.

We used to play that allenwood prison at softball. They had all home games of course. Club fed we called it. Those guys had life better than people on the outside. I remember their third basemen was a AAA braves prospect in for tax evasion. They went undefeated every year
No shit. If you beat them, they'd have a hit out on you.

I'm right with you. Just put them in a pan with some oil, salt pepper and light on crushed red peppers. Cook until slightly soft, even with a little darkening of the ends of the leaves.

Reactions: hlstone
To point out that I screwed up that year….

must be Covid fog! 😉

Z
Oh, ok..,Someone had to make sure you weren’t claiming an extra championship for Iowa. 😉

Honestly, kinda like what dunke said, 2021 didn’t bother me much. It is good for the sport to have turns at the top. Plus, our finalists kind of stole the show, anyway, which was fun. And I felt that not being defending champs was going to inject some fire back into the internetting wars in 2022. I wasn’t disappointed.
Complacency is boring.

Mike
My father warned me growing up the more successful you are the more people will be jealous of your success. Human nature I suppose. Kinda like always rooting for the underdog. As far as coaching change… no look at the brands bros early didn’t miss a beat.

Reactions: creamery freak
My father warned me growing up the more successful you are the more people will be jealous of your success. Human nature I suppose. Kinda like always rooting for the underdog. As far as coaching change… no look at the brands bros early didn’t miss a beat.
I agree with your dad. Yeah, but I was more referring to things like:

Dan Gable retiring
Tom Landry being fired
Chuck Noll retiring
Urban Meyer leaving for health reasons
Woody Hayes hitting a player
JoPa….
Will it be that way for Bama when Saban leaves
Dr. Tom Osborn moving on from Nebraska sideline
Barry Switzer and OU
What about Dabo at Clemson?
Bill Walsh at SF…..