ADVERTISEMENT

Lynn Swann, new USC AD.

I am kind of stunned. What experience does one need to be an AD?
Not as big an a$$hat as Pat H -- in that sense at least, it's an upgrade.

W/ his background, it is a curious hire. He'llbe missed in Western Pa, tho. Like many of the 70's Steelers, he's continued to do good things for the region

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69
I am kind of stunned. What experience does one need to be an AD?

Depends on what his involvement would be. If he's there to raise money and glad-hand alums, then his fame is more important. Kinda like when Joe took the PSU job. Hire a good administrative assistant, and you're good to go.

Reactions: step.eng69
Congratulations to Lynn; I voted for him for PA Governor when ran against Rendell for his second term.

As for experience, he has plenty of business sense and he certainly knows football. He would have made a good Governor.

Reactions: fairgambit
Every A.D.'s job at USC, is to win in football: Everything else is irrelevant, and they don't even play half the sports other schools play.

USC has gone from Mike Garrett to Pat Haden to Swann. Apparently they value a graduate and star athlete in that role. Hope he has great success as IMO a strong SC program is very good for college football.

USC has gone from Mike Garrett to Pat Haden to Swann. Apparently they value a graduate and star athlete in that role. Hope he has great success as IMO a strong SC program is very good for college football.
They probably intended to stick with the model all along. Probably became more essential with the NFL moving into town.

Every A.D.'s job at USC, is to win in football: Everything else is irrelevant, and they don't even play half the sports other schools play.

Miles, USC has 20 sports and PSU has 29. USC has much more than half as many sports as other schools. USC is also near the very top in NCAA championships (and only a fraction of them are in football), well ahead of PSU.

Do you even do the slightest bit of research before posting??

He has some political chops, is likable and seems to be able to get along with people. I think that's about all the qualifications you need to be an AD.

Miles, USC has 20 sports and PSU has 29. USC has much more than half as many sports as other schools. USC is also near the very top in NCAA championships (and only a fraction of them are in football), well ahead of PSU.

According to a recent PSU Alumni news release, however, PSU has the most NCAA championships since 2007.

20 sports is not a lot of sports in D1 power five conference sports programs

20 sports is not a lot of sports in D1 power five conference sports programs

Do you even read what you're typing?

"they (USC) don't even play half the sports other schools play."

So unless a lot of P5 schools compete in more than 40 sports you were greatly exaggerating for whatever reason.

You were wrong, just like you're wrong most of the time.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Do you even read what you're typing?

"they (USC) don't even play half the sports other schools play."

So unless a lot of P5 schools compete in more than 40 sports you were greatly exaggerating for whatever reason.

You were wrong, just like you're wrong most of the time.

Get over it. Stop responding to everything I say like a lunatic, get some help.

As an SC Alum, I like this hire a lot. Lynn's background in politics will be extremely helpful. Frankly, its my other alma mater's last 2 AD hires that I question. Who would you take....Joyner, Barbour or Lynn Swann?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT