ADVERTISEMENT

More thoughs on Franklin

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
I like coach Franklin, but if I was AD and he ever insinuated he was looking at othrr schools for more money I would fire him in a heartbeat, have guards sent at his desk, march him out the door and tell him we would forward this thanks. Good riddance to GREED. He has a serious character flaw of feeling no need to earn the his salary thru EXCELLENT RESULTS.

I like coach Franklin, but if I was AD and he ever insinuated he was looking at othrr schools for more money I would fire him in a heartbeat, have guards sent at his desk, march him out the door and tell him we would forward this thanks. Good riddance to GREED. He has a serious character flaw of feeling no need to earn the his salary thru EXCELLENT RESULTS.
Please let us know how you have all this inside information about what has gone on behind the scenes with Franklin, the AD and other jobs.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Please let us know how you have all this inside information about what has gone on behind the scenes with Franklin, the AD and other jobs.
Well uh she doesn’t but what does that matter? Far better to accept unsubstantiated rumors and scuttlebutt as gospel.

He has openly refused to comment on rumors of offers your other school's. When was the last time you saw Jim Harbaugh out grubbing or asking for more money when he hadn't performed? The facts are right before you. It doesn't matter what went on behind the scene. Coach constantly looked for more money even in years when he failed to perform. This is a very serious character flaw. He shows little loyalty to the University or gratitude for his salary even though he fails to perform at times.
In business you get your ass kicked out the door if you fail as miserably as he has over the past 2 years. Sandy was a push over.
Besides giving him more money she added a lot of 6 figure administrative slots in the football program. She removed every imperative for him to perform. She gave him lots of carrots with no stick.

He has openly refused to comment on rumors of offers your other school's. When was the last time you saw Jim Harbaugh out grubbing or asking for more money when he hadn't performed? The facts are right before you. It doesn't matter what went on behind the scene. Coach constantly looked for more money even in years when he failed to perform. This is a very serious character flaw. He shows little loyalty to the University or gratitude for his salary even though he fails to perform at times.
In business you get your ass kicked out the door if you fail as miserably as he has over the past 2 years. Sandy was a push over.
Besides giving him more money she added a lot of 6 figure administrative slots in the football program. She removed every imperative for him to perform. She gave him lots of carrots with no sticks

Be realistic. Every AD considers 2020 throwaway. It should be as completely lost season with COVID. Now, It is about 2019 and 2021. 2019, we won 11 games and won Cotton. 2021 was bad but still get Outback. If he does not produce this year then we have a problem.

This game and season will be a benchmark on Franklins legacy. Is he just a couple dominating defensive tackles away from competing for a playoff, or an overrated recruiter that can't judge interior high school lineman talent? He can fix that and bring in someone to help.

Nothing wrong with using other schools as leverage to me, he works his ass off, all coaches do!

Besides giving him more money she added a lot of 6 figure administrative slots in the football program. She removed every imperative for him to perform. She gave him lots of carrots with no stick.
He openly refused to comment meaning you have no clue what he said to the AD or his players. That’s kind of the point I’m making. And no one in business would get their ass kicked out the door for having a down year during Covid (almost every business did) and then a winning year the following year.

Be realistic. Every AD considers 2020 throwaway. It should be as completely lost season with COVID. Now, It is about 2019 and 2021. 2019, we won 11 games and won Cotton. 2021 was bad but still get Outback. If he does not produce this year then we have a problem.
You should be realistic. ADs at programs that were successful in 2020 do not consider the season as throwaway. Just because you consider it a throwaway does not make it one.

Your fun fact for the day:

In the past six years, James Franklin has won as many major bowl games (two) as Pitt has since 1938. Two major bowl victories in the past 83 seasons for Pitt: the 1977 and the 1982 Sugar Bowls.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Ok, so I made the mistake of opening the other thread on Franklin you started. I refuse to open this one!🧐
I never said a revere though my city is the coach for Penn state at this time period he has a lot of faults.
Ok, so I made the mistake of opening the other thread on Franklin you started. I refuse to open this one!🧐
I am very old fashioned. When you sign your name, you honor what it says, especially after a year when your performance is far below your normal or even what is expected. Greed will always be a character flaw. He is our coach, like most of us, he is far from perfect.

I do think this is fair. Much as Franklin tells recruits that once they commit, they cannot visit other schools, it would be fair that Franklin, while committed to PSU via his massive contract, should do the same. When the media asks Franklin about other jobs, he never shuts it down. The games need to stop.

I do think this is fair. Much as Franklin tells recruits that once they commit, they cannot visit other schools, it would be fair that Franklin, while committed to PSU via his massive contract, should do the same. When the media asks Franklin about other jobs, he never shuts it down. The games need to stop.
So how many times does Franklin have to pass up other jobs before the media stops asking him about every opening that comes around? I’ve never felt Franklin was ever interested in any of those openings that supposedly wanted him.

Ignorant post, what does it take to be banned. You want to throw stones, what about the guy who left ND for LSU and more $$$, what about the guy who left Oklahoma for USC and took his star players. You know he got bundles of $$$ but may be in for a shock as he will have to play real big ten (16) teams and not the SW Conference or whatever it is called,

Reactions: marshall23
So how many times does Franklin have to pass up other jobs before the media stops asking him about every opening that comes around? I’ve never felt Franklin was ever interested in any of those openings that supposedly wanted him.
Not quite apples to apples with your comment above, but its been confirmed that Franklin was interested in the USC opening last year, but USC did not want him.

Didn't Harbaugh flirt with the NFL? I think he also get an amended contract.

If you have leverage in your career and don't use it, that's your problem. I don't care if he gets another extension. Why would anyone here care? Last I checked the decision makers at PSU don't include the "esteemed" NNNNNCAC.

Reactions: john4psu
You should be realistic. ADs at programs that were successful in 2020 do not consider the season as throwaway. Just because you consider it a throwaway does not make it one.
Correct, they consider it over.

I never said a revere though my city is the coach for Penn state at this time period he has a lot of faults.
I am very old fashioned. When you sign your name, you honor what it says, especially after a year when your performance is far below your normal or even what is expected. Greed will always be a character flaw. He is our coach, like most of us, he is far from perfect.
I agree, let's go get that coach. The one whose name is never associated with other jobs and refuses to accept contract extensions.
Now that would be someone like Narduzzi.....his name is never mentioned for any decent coaching job!

I agree, let's go get that coach. The one whose name is never associated with other jobs and refuses to accept contract extensions.
Now that would be someone like Narduzzi.....his name is never mentioned for any decent coaching job!
And he says he’s not going anywhere even when his name isn’t even mentioned for the opening.

Firing CJF for nothing more than just looking around would be a bad business decision since PSU would owe him around $85M over the next 10 years assuming he wasn't hired again elsewhere. The last time I checked, just looking around is not a fireable offense and believe it or not, sometimes people look to change jobs for things other than just more money. I certainly don't begrudge anyone from making as much money as they can so long as they do it legally and don't hurt anyone in the process.

I see you're comfortable proclaiming that Ebenezer Franklin has a character flaw of taking the money and not performing to your expectations. I guess three 11 win and one nine win seasons coupled with a Big Ten title and 6 New Year day bowls not to mention a bunch of top 10 recruiting classes doesn't cut it for you. And please don't tell me about the last two seasons because they were impacted by Covid, a myriad of staff changes, liberalized NCAA portal rules, and key player injuries.

Just curious, what's your definition of excellent results?

Firing CJF for nothing more than just looking around would be a bad business decision since PSU would owe him around $85M over the next 10 years assuming he wasn't hired again elsewhere. The last time I checked, just looking around is not a fireable offense and believe it or not, sometimes people look to change jobs for things other than just more money. I certainly don't begrudge anyone from making as much money as they can so long as they do it legally and don't hurt anyone in the process.

I see you're comfortable proclaiming that Ebenezer Franklin has a character flaw of taking the money and not performing to your expectations. I guess three 11 win and one nine win seasons coupled with a Big Ten title and 6 New Year day bowls not to mention a bunch of top 10 recruiting classes doesn't cut it for you. And please don't tell me about the last two seasons because they were impacted by Covid, a myriad of staff changes, liberalized NCAA portal rules, and key player injuries.

When you look across the college football landscape, only two or maybe three coaches meet the expectations that some have on this board. Definitely only one coach in the Big reaches that level, so if every coach in a conference except one fails to meet the expectations, I would say the expectations are a bit ridiculous.

They have a flexible criteria that has the following:
1. We deserve better
2. We know better
7-infinity

Reactions: john4psu
When you look across the college football landscape, only two or maybe three coaches meet the expectations that some have on this board. Definitely only one coach in the Big reaches that level, so if every coach in a conference except one fails to meet the expectations, I would say the expectations are a bit ridiculous.
I have to admit that the crying couch coaches are the source of great amusement to me. In a sense, a PSU loss would almost be worth it to read their weeping and shrieking posts.
These are the same clowns that weren't happy with 11 wins. At least they should be given something to blubber about.

I have to admit that the crying couch coaches are the source of great amusement to me. In a sense, a PSU loss would almost be worth it to read their weeping and shrieking posts.
These are the same clowns that weren't happy with 11 wins. At least they should be given something to blubber about.
Who are you kidding….they will cry even if we win because it won’t be a big enough margin of victory, certain parts of the game won’t meet their expectations, they will complain about play calling and clock management….and on and on. No matter what happens this season the anti-Franklin crew will not be happy.

IDK. When asked, how many times has Franklin said "I'm not interested. I'm the coach at PSU and I intend to remain so." The answer is ZERO.

IDK. When asked, how many times has Franklin said "I'm not interested. I'm the coach at PSU and I intend to remain so." The answer is ZERO.
But he is basically saying that when he says “I’m only focused on who we are playing this week.” Even if he said he wasn’t interested, many on here wouldn’t believe him. It’s how he handles these situations and it’s worked out pretty well for him and he’s still here, so he hasn’t been disloyal to PSU.

As an FYI, 247Sports ranked Penn State's roster as the 15th best in College Football. We are currently unranked in the polls.

Who are you kidding….they will cry even if we win because it won’t be a big enough margin of victory, certain parts of the game won’t meet their expectations, they will complain about play calling and clock management….and on and on. No matter what happens this season the anti-Franklin crew will not be happy.
Nailed it….many on here are so predictable.

I'm not a big Franklin fan myself, but we once had a coach that was leaving for New England and a nice pay raise. He changed his mind, and it worked out okay. It is just business. That is just the reality of college athletics today.

I'm not a big Franklin fan myself, but we once had a coach that was leaving for New England and a nice pay raise. He changed his mind, and it worked out okay. It is just business. That is just the reality of college athletics today.
True. Unless you live under a rock, you should know that you are in deep shit if you have a coach that isn't sought after for other quality jobs.
Perhaps you would be happy to be married to a partner that no one else would want?

Reactions: Ski
As an FYI, 247Sports ranked Penn State's roster as the 15th best in College Football. We are currently unranked in the polls.
FYI, last season more than half of the teams rated with top 25 talent by 247 finished outside of the top 25.
But nice try....."All I know is what I read in the papers.....and that's my alibi for my ignorance."" Will Rogers

This game and season will be a benchmark on Franklins legacy. Is he just a couple dominating defensive tackles away from competing for a playoff, or an overrated recruiter that can't judge interior high school lineman talent? He can fix that and bring in someone to help.

Nothing wrong with using other schools as leverage to me, he works his ass off, all coaches do!
Please hire someone that is great at picking High School linemen, cause you stink at it.

Greed? So if you have a job you don't seek higher pay? They could have told him "no". He obtained what the market for his services provided.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT