ADVERTISEMENT

Lower the jolly rodger...

To have 3 of your 8 pitchers on the 40 man roster need Tommy John or a hybrid of it makes me worried about pitching coaching. Are the pirates coaches in the entire system not teaching sound mechanics?

I remember when Washington drafted Strasburg there was an article about how his delivery was destined to destroy his elbow. I think it had quotes from another 1st round pitcher or maybe that kis pitching coach. Anyway, It was spot on. Coaches didn't fix it and his career never played out as expected despite his physical talent.
The Dodgers just had two of their young starters, Buehler and May, go through the same thing last year. It’s not just a Pirates’ issue, but a baseball issue; it happens to all teams. Just last week, It was announced that DeGrom also needs this surgery.

June 11, 2023. And the Battling Buccos are somehow in first place. I know, weak division this year. But hey at least it's some baseball fun for a change. Just enjoy it for now. Probably won't last but the future is looking a little brighter for thr Buccos.

Reactions: summitlion1
June 11, 2023. And the Battling Buccos are somehow in first place. I know, weak division this year. But hey at least it's some baseball fun for a change. Just enjoy it for now. Probably won't last but the future is looking a little brighter for thr Buccos.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. What’s interesting is that, although it’s approaching the middle of June, the Pirates hardly have played any division games. In fact, they still haven’t played the Brewers or Cubs, and only have played two series each with the Cards and Reds; they do play the Cubs and Brewers this week.

With the Nuggets NBA title win last night, there are 31 franchises in the traditional 4 pro sports leagues that have gone more seasons without winning a championship than the Pirates. Just something for a perspective

As for this season, the mediocre NL Central has enabled the Bucs to keep things interesting up to this point.

the mediocre NL Central has enabled the Bucs to keep things interesting up to this point.
The bucs have only played a couple of series against the NLC so far this year. There will be a lot of NLC games for the rest of the season.

It's like they're trying to lose. They run out a double a pitcher tonight and just when he shocks the world pitching 4 innings only 1 run...they run Contreras out there who right now can't get any big league batter out. Smh.

It's like they're trying to lose. They run out a double a pitcher tonight and just when he shocks the world pitching 4 innings only 1 run...they run Contreras out there who right now can't get any big league batter out. Smh.
Just another example of the poor pitching coaches in the Pirates organization. Other than Keller (its only taken him 5 years) when is the last time home grown pitching has produced? I realize Contreras was acquired in the Taillon deal but he was supposed to be the big acquisition in that trade and seems to have regressed since leaving the Yankees.

Last edited:
Just another example of the poor pitching coaches in the Pirates organization. Other than Keller (its only taken him 5 years) when is the last time home grown pitching has produced? I realize Contreras was acquired in the Taillon deal but he was supposed to be the big acquisition in that trade and seems to have regressed since leaving the Yankees.
And now the entire bullpen has ..imploded.

The lame Nuttings losing yet again to the lowly cubs. Swept.
The typical Pirate thing is that Mt. Lebanon native Ian Happ now has reached base safely in something like the last 35 or 36 games in a row in which he's played for the Cubs against his hometown team; he looked like the best hitter in baseball in this series, yet came into it with a batting average in the .260s.

The total collapse for the Pirates is imminent; it's like the Titantic approaching the iceberg. This team has almost no quality depth so they really couldn't have afforded to sustain hardly any serious injuries, which has not happened. Since the start of the season, they've lost their starting shortstop, a platoon first baseman, a starting pitcher, and now their second best reliever. That's in addition to losing another starting pitcher in spring training.

When all is said and done, I still wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates finish in last place in their division again, especially after they do the annual rite of summer and start unloading veterans to contenders for a bunch of mediocre prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvgUser
The typical Pirate thing is that Mt. Lebanon native Ian Happ now has reached base safely in something like the last 35 or 36 games in a row in which he's played for the Cubs against his hometown team; he looked like the best hitter in baseball in this series, yet came into it with a batting average in the .260s.

The total collapse for the Pirates is imminent; it's like the Titantic approaching the iceberg. This team has almost no quality depth so they really couldn't have afforded to sustain hardly any serious injuries, which has not happened. Since the start of the season, they've lost their starting shortstop, a platoon first baseman, a starting pitcher, and now their second best reliever. That's in addition to losing another starting pitcher in spring training.

When all is said and done, I still wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates finish in last place in their division again, especially after they do the annual rite of summer and start unloading veterans to contenders for a bunch of mediocre prospects.
Well…..they will be relevant until the 4th of July ….instead of Memorial Day like most seasons. And the management will say ‘See what great progress we made!’ And the sycophant sports press will nod their little heads and cheer them on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psugo823
Tonight's loss to Milwaukee will spell the end of 1st place for the season, and watch the Nutting lambs in the press guffaw and yell how great it was to make it to June 16 in 1st...even though they will finish with 90 to 95 losses 😆 🤣 😂

Lol. Hayes and Delay strike out with bases loaded and 1 out

Pirates will always be the Pirates. June 16th boys! What an amazing season!

😆 🤣 😂
The Brewers just won the game with 2 runs on 1 hit against Nuttings lame ass relief staff.

6 in a row. But June 16th!

Sounds like they are calling up Davis from AAA. Pitching staff is decimated by injuries that adding another bat won't solve.

I'm not absolving Nutting. Just pointing out how many injuries there are. A "rebuilding " team just can't absorb this many pitching injuries. Brubaker, Crowe, Garcia, hernandez, Holderness, kranick, velasquez and zastryzny on the 40 man.

I'm not absolving Nutting. Just pointing out how many injuries there are. A "rebuilding " team just can't absorb this many pitching injuries. Brubaker, Crowe, Garcia, hernandez, Holderness, kranick, velasquez and zastryzny on the 40 man.
A "Nutting" team can't absorb injuries. 29 other MLB teams also have injuries.

Doesn't every team deal with injuries?

Reactions: Psugo823
I feel awful for Henry Davis, kid looks like the real deal and he is sentenced to 4 years of Bob Nutting...hopefully after his 3rd year with this minor league team he gets salary dumped to a winner

I feel awful for Henry Davis, kid looks like the real deal and he is sentenced to 4 years of Bob Nutting...hopefully after his 3rd year with this minor league team he gets salary dumped to a winner
Can't feel too bad for him--if he performs he'll get a better life. If he doesn't then he deserved to be drafted by the Bucs.

Honestly, I enjoy watching them lose at this point--it makes me feel safe knowing all is right in the world lol
I think it's up to 23 straight innings but I know for certain it's 2 straight games with zero runs and 8 straight losses.

June 16th! Right Bob?

I think it's up to 23 straight innings but I know for certain it's 2 straight games with zero runs and 8 straight losses.

June 16th! Right Bob?
Since they were 20-8 at the end of April, they are 16 games under .500. Imagine what that record would be if you prorated that pace over a 162 game season; it probably would be one of the worst single season records in MLB history. Even bad MLB teams should win about 3 out of every 9 or 10 games.

Since they were 20-8 at the end of April, they are 16 games under .500. Imagine what that record would be if you prorated that pace over a 162 game season; it probably would be one of the worst single season records in MLB history. Even bad MLB teams should win about 3 out of every 9 or 10 games.
I say 100 losses is still in play.

I say 100 losses is still in play.
Considering that they have to place a pitcher on the IR about once a week and have little to no depth, especially at that position, I would say that last place is a definite and probably another 100 loss season. Right now, this team has almost no chance to win any game, except maybe when Keller pitches.

This team now is 0-5 against the Cubs, which they only began to play last week when the Cubs had a terrible record and couldn't score; the Pirates singlehandedly have turned the Cubs' season around. I'll be interested to see how the Cubs play after they beat the Pirates again this afternoon. My guess is that they'll go back to playing like they did before last week's series against the Pirates.

The Bucs won 20 of their 28 games
I actually got a friend to take a bet that they wouldn't win 20 in their next 50. Looking good so far.
This team was always trash. Even bad teams get hot for a while but they'll always come crashing down.
It's just sad that people were actually excited and buying into this. That's what allows ownership to do what they do.
This is looking good--they have to win 6 straight for me to lose the bet lol

6-1 Cubs in the 7th...9 straight losses! Heading to Miami this can get REAL UGLY NOW...

Hedges booed every at bat, hits worse than most pitchers and this buffoon manager is playing his overall first draft pick in right field.

What a f@$king mess.

6-1 Cubs in the 7th...9 straight losses! Heading to Miami this can get REAL UGLY NOW...

Hedges booed every at bat, hits worse than most pitchers and this buffoon manager is playing his overall first draft pick in right field.

What a f@$king mess.
Didn't Davis DH? I don't think the plan is to have Davis catch much at all honestly.

Didn't Davis DH? I don't think the plan is to have Davis catch much at all honestly.
My guess is that they want Davis concentrate on hitting right now. Learning big league pitching. Don’t overload him with both hitting and catching. Once he is comfortable at the plate, work him in as catcher.

Are there any pitchers on the staff that he caught in the minors? If so, have him catch him/them a couple games since they know each other.

My guess is that they want Davis concentrate on hitting right now. Learning big league pitching. Don’t overload him with both hitting and catching. Once he is comfortable at the plate, work him in as catcher.

Are there any pitchers on the staff that he caught in the minors? If so, have him catch him/them a couple games since they know each other.
All good points. I'm just not concerned if he ends up playing RF permanently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT