ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Pitt has lost WR Tipton for the year

Truthfully, I don't want to see any kid injured and miss playing time since their collegiate careers as so short. In this case in particular I don't want any of Pitt's players sidelined so they - particularly Narduzzi - can use that as an excuse when they get crushed at the Beav in two months.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and EPC FAN
"A three-star member of Pitt’s 2015 recruiting class, Tipton was rated as the No. 31 player at any position in the state of Pennsylvania. A knee injury four games into his true freshman season led to Tipton being shutdown for the remainder of that year, while he missed the last four games of last season after suffering an upper-body in an early-November game against Miami."

Pitt's got some receivers. They don't have QBs with experience but they have guys who can throw.

And they have a D that should be better than last year (which isn't saying a whole lot).

What Pitt won't have is the O-line they had last year and Conner.

Anyway I wish people on this board would quit talking like a blowout is the inevitable outcome. It's early season. PSU is favored for good reason but depending on how the cookie crumbles it could be a tough game. And a tough game (as long as PSU wins) is not a bad outcome.

This is going to be a whole new experience for PSU being the heavy favorite in 80% of the games they play.

That is a whole different kind of pressure and these kids have never been under that sort of pressure before.

I'm expecting the best, Franklin and staff have really shown a tremendous ability to prepare a team psychologically as well as physically.

But still, 2017 is going to be very different pressure-wise than these guys have experienced. Last year was Cinderella at the Ball. This year is really big time football.

I saw Tipton play quite a few times in HS and he was really good, a pure WR. He only had a MAC offer and Pitt, but was probably underrated. He wasn't slated to start at Pitt this season, but would have played a lot and could have moved into the starting line-up. In his 3 seasons, he's had 2 knee injuries and a collapsed lung. Everything that I've heard about him is that he's a really good kid.

Pitt's got some receivers. They don't have QBs with experience but they have guys who can throw.

And they have a D that should be better than last year (which isn't saying a whole lot).

Anyway I wish people on this board would quit talking like a blowout is the inevitable outcome. It's early season. PSU is favored for good reason but depending on how the cookie crumbles it could be a tough game. And a tough game (as long as PSU wins) is not a bad outcome.

This is going to be a whole new experience for PSU being the heavy favorite in 80% of the games they play.

That is a whole different kind of pressure and these kids have never been under that sort of pressure before.

I'm expecting the best, Franklin and staff have really shown a tremendous ability to prepare a team psychologically as well as physically.

But still, 2017 is going to be very different pressure-wise than these guys have experienced. Last year was Cinderella at the Ball. This year is really big time football.

So we can't have an opinion that PSU is going to blow out Pitt? Thought that is what this board is for to discuss and share opinions. I have always thought PSU will win this game handily for a multitude of reasons. The line in vegas just confirmed my thoughts to me. Easy enough to turn this around and say I wish people would stop talking like this is going to be a close game..... sure it could be close or PSU even lose. But my thoughts are PSU wins easily if not a major league blow out.

So we can't have an opinion that PSU is going to blow out Pitt? Thought that is what this board is for to discuss and share opinions. I have always thought PSU will win this game handily for a multitude of reasons. The line in vegas just confirmed my thoughts to me. Easy enough to turn this around and say I wish people would stop talking like this is going to be a close game..... sure it could be close or PSU even lose. But my thoughts are PSU wins easily if not a major league blow out.

It will be a curb stomping similar to last years MSU game.

I'm not going to predict that PSU "blows out" Pitt.......
but if you can look at the Pitt depth chart and roster, and find any reason why their D should improve (aside from the possible argument that it can't get any worse than giving up a point-a-minute to the Syracuse FOOTBALL team :) )..........

Their defensive front 7 looks like a mid-level MAC group (at best)
The kid who got kicked out of PSU (Carter) may jump in and immediately be the best they have in their front 7.

The only reason there should be any optimism about Pitt's defense being any better, is because it's almost impossible for them to be worse. Otherwise they've lost personnel that is better than that which replaces them.

Reactions: RobBliz
Wasn't the talk here last year that we'd whip them handily? 14-24 points on average.

Obviously i'd be pleased with 3 TD win but they aren't coming to HV to lose. We're going to have to beat them this time... from gun to gun.

I basically agree with you. PSU should win in a pretty linear fashion if they play their game.

But I don't love it when people feel entitled to a blowout (and I'm not accusing you or anyone in particular), particularly against a mid-major program like Pitt. It has four possible outcomes and none of them is really positive.

1) Our team plays flawlessly, blowout happens according to prediction and everybody says the win is meaningless because the other team must have been terrible.
2) Our team wins comfortably, but no blowout, so the fans at the Beav grumble instead of cheer, and the team hears that.
3) Our team wins a nailbiter but instead of celebrating everybody goes home depressed.
4) Team goes in overconfident and loses.

Wasn't the talk here last year that we'd whip them handily? 14-24 points on average.

Obviously i'd be pleased with 3 TD win but they aren't coming to HV to lose. We're going to have to beat them this time... from gun to gun.

Yes. They have 85 scholarships just like PSU. They don't have a lot of four stars on their roster but they've got plenty of 3 stars with chips on their shoulder.

Hopefully the PSU team understands what it means and plays hard every single play. I think they will. They may make some mistakes but I think Franklin will have them playing with a lot more confidence than they had at the start of the season last year.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Since they lost last year, I doubt they go in overconfident. I'm pretty sure they'll remember the hand-clapping, Tony Dorsett's embarrassing episode, the negative recruiting, etc etc etc. They've got more bulletin-board material for this game than they've had for entire seasons.

It's also going to be a lot different for Pitt. A lot of new guys playing in front of a hostile crowd against the team they perceive as a big rival. So only PSU is affected by a different attitude? Who knows, our guys may thrive on being the favorite and being considered the big swinging dick in most of their games. Why automatically assume they will go the opposite direction and struggle with a team like Pitt because the experience is going to be different? By the looks of the Big championship game and the Rose Bowl, our guys thrive in a big game atmosphere with the pressure on.

Truthfully, I don't want to see any kid injured and miss playing time since their collegiate careers as so short. In this case in particular I don't want any of Pitt's players sidelined so they - particularly Narduzzi - can use that as an excuse when they get crushed at the Beav in two months.

And will be used as an excuse. Meanwhile, our best player on the defensive side of the ball is out for the year with an injury he suffered during spring ball.

Actually no, not for the most part. Most people were posting that Pitt would probably win the first one and PSU the other three. In fact, a lot of Pitt posters were on here accusing us of coming up with excuses already because we were discussing the lack of depth at LB and the inexperience at QB. Only a couple of posters even predicted a PSU win let alone a 14-24 point win. I thought Pitt would win by a touchdown.

They are replacing basically their entire front 7. The only rationale I can follow for their defense getting better is that it can't be any worse.

I basically agree with you. PSU should win in a pretty linear fashion if they play their game.

But I don't love it when people feel entitled to a blowout (and I'm not accusing you or anyone in particular), particularly against a mid-major program like Pitt. It has four possible outcomes and none of them is really positive.

1) Our team plays flawlessly, blowout happens according to prediction and everybody says the win is meaningless because the other team must have been terrible.
2) Our team wins comfortably, but no blowout, so the fans at the Beav grumble instead of cheer, and the team hears that.
3) Our team wins a nailbiter but instead of celebrating everybody goes home depressed.
4) Team goes in overconfident and loses.
Strongly disagree. Only option 4 would not be positive. They are still an ACC school that is our rival who last year beat the national champions. I'd be happy with any win and thrilled with a blow-out.

Reactions: BBrown
It's also going to be a lot different for Pitt. A lot of new guys playing in front of a hostile crowd against the team they perceive as a big rival. So only PSU is affected by a different attitude? Who knows, our guys may thrive on being the favorite and being considered the big swinging dick in most of their games. Why automatically assume they will go the opposite direction and struggle with a team like Pitt because the experience is going to be different? By the looks of the Big championship game and the Rose Bowl, our guys thrive in a big game atmosphere with the pressure on.

I'm with you, hoping for the best. I like the leadership on this PSU team. I like the killer instinct they (and Franklin) showed at times last year, when they didn't sit on a lead, they kept attacking. I LOVED the exclamation point TD on Michigan State to send a little message to Dantonio. I would love to see them annihilate Pitt, I just don't expect it.

It's a team with a lot of smiles but I like that the team is not nice guys. They are hypercompetitive. There is some ruthlessness to McSorley and to Franklin.

What we haven't had from PSU in a while, that they really may have this year, is some smashmouth offense. They have really good size and athleticism up front and they like to hit people.

We know what McSorley and Gesicki & Co. can do. I dream of gaping, yawning holes for Barkley where he can go right off tackle, say behind Chaz Wright, and immediately into the secondary. Or sweeps where the big PSU wideouts are just manhandling the other team's secondary. Or screens where the 2nd level of the defense is just flattened.

And I think this is what Moorhead wants. If PSU can really be physical this year on offense, that will go a long way toward making them an elite team.

I'm not going to predict that PSU "blows out" Pitt.......
but if you can look at the Pitt depth chart and roster, and find any reason why their D should improve (aside from the possible argument that it can't get any worse than giving up a point-a-minute to the Syracuse FOOTBALL team :) )..........

Their defensive front 7 looks like a mid-level MAC group (at best)
The kid who got kicked out of PSU (Carter) may jump in and immediately be the best they have in their front 7.

Yeah, I don't see how Pitt's defense is better next year either. They had an experienced d-line with 3 seniors, one of whom was an All-American. They then lost their expected top returning d-tackle in the Spring.

Basically they are down to Kam Carter, another true sophomore in Amir Watts, or moving a more experienced DE inside to fill their DT spots. They lost two experienced linebackers. Their best is a former walk-on and the other two were low three star recruits.

Penn State is going to gut them.

It is quite different being the hunted, instead of the hunter. Ask the Cubs.

Losing Conner sucks but they have a good stable of backs. What hurts more this year is they won't have the OL from last year blocking for those backs, and still no idea whether Browne can be a competent replacement for Peterman. Throw in losing Canada to that mix

I'm with you, hoping for the best. I like the leadership on this PSU team. I like the killer instinct they (and Franklin) showed at times last year, when they didn't sit on a lead, they kept attacking. I LOVED the exclamation point TD on Michigan State to send a little message to Dantonio. I would love to see them annihilate Pitt, I just don't expect it.

It's a team with a lot of smiles but I like that the team is not nice guys. They are hypercompetitive. There is some ruthlessness to McSorley and to Franklin.

What we haven't had from PSU in a while, that they really may have this year, is some smashmouth offense. They have really good size and athleticism up front and they like to hit people.

We know what McSorley and Gesicki & Co. can do. I dream of gaping, yawning holes for Barkley where he can go right off tackle, say behind Chaz Wright, and immediately into the secondary. Or sweeps where the big PSU wideouts are just manhandling the other team's secondary. Or screens where the 2nd level of the defense is just flattened.

And I think this is what Moorhead wants. If PSU can really be physical this year on offense, that will go a long way toward making them an elite team.
We averaged 38 points a game...doesn't make much difference what kind of offense you run when you have those results.

Pitt has a couple good WRs, but are relying on USC's sloppy seconds to get them the ball. Max Browne is no Nathan Peterman.

Pitt will be better at stopping the pass this season. You know why? Because they will not be able to stop the run like they did last year. Because of this, Their offense will have less time of possession and will need to do more with limited chances. They will still have a hard time defending the pass when they need to. The yard disparity just will not be as bad

Pitt's in for a long season this year and not just for the Penn State game. Most of their more educated fans realize that. The fanboys think their 5.6 3 star sophomores are going to be difference makers and not make mistakes

They are lucky that their schedule is weaker than Central Catholic's schedule. On the other hand, most years Central is better than Pitt.

Reactions: pandaczar12
I like to come on here and ruffle feathers...but overall, outside of the Paterno stuff, I'm a Pitt fan who likes the majority of your guys. Realistically, here's now I see it.

Bottom line, Pitt probably loses. We needed a small miracle to beat Clemson on the road, and would need a similar miracle to beat Penn State in Happy Valley.

- The USC transfer Browne is likely to be our starter. He's either a gigantic bust or a decent player who never got a fair shake a USC. We'll see

- Our running back will be by committee. It's not particularly a strength so maybe the freshman Sibley gets a shot but I seriously doubt it as he'll take that RS.

-WR should be OK. Weah and Henderson are pretty good. I wasn't a fan of the OC Watson hire, but whatever. Hopefully they'll use Henderson on more than just jet sweeps this year. Maurice Ffrench showed promise too. Who knows.

-OL looks to be OK. Replacing the entire left side of our offensive line won't be easy. Honestly the offense is a giant question mark given the new OC and new QB.

On Defense:

It's really a prayer. They have so many young guys that are probably more talented than the upperclassman, but you can't play all freshman and sophomores. I really hate 2 players on Pitt's defense. The LB Idowu is one and the CB Maddox is the other. Neither have any business being on an ACC roster let alone starting. Ford not making it on time hurts because the other safety spot is wide open. Unless Pitt can get to the QB, it's going to be a LONG season on the defense.

Right now, I'd say the game ends up 48-21 Penn State. And then Pitt comes home to play Oklahoma State

I like to come on here and ruffle feathers...but overall, outside of the Paterno stuff,

What exactly do you mean by "Paterno stuff"? It's widely known that Paterno did exactly as he should have in regards to the second mile / Sandusky scandal. That's indisputable fact. So unless you are clinging to false or outdated information, there is no "Paterno Stuff".

PSU should have beat Pitt last year, even after to getting off to a bad start, they had them on the ropes and handed the game to Pitt twice in the last two minutes.

That being said, think of all that it took for Pitt to luck into that win in addition to PSU simply blowing it. Early season away game for PSU, installing a new offensive system, still hampered by unjust sanctions, with an inordinate number of injuries on defense. The stars really had to align... that won't happen anytime soon. After this year it will be 8 of the last 10 for PSU.

Seems like this guy has had the injury bug each year so far but must be decently talented and one that they were really hoping to have an impact this year. Hope he returns next year and puts the injuries behind him.
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...to-miss-all-of-2017-with-non-football-injury/

Man that kid has no luck at all.
Looked like he had some potential too. Too bad for him.
Of course on the Liar they are claiming that its no big loss that
WR is their deepest area. Uhhh so who are there WR's?
I know that Q. Henderson is very, very good but who else do they have?
IF they were counting on Paris Ford that aint happening either.

I like to come on here and ruffle feathers...but overall, outside of the Paterno stuff, I'm a Pitt fan who likes the majority of your guys. Realistically, here's now I see it.

Bottom line, Pitt probably loses. We needed a small miracle to beat Clemson on the road, and would need a similar miracle to beat Penn State in Happy Valley.

- The USC transfer Browne is likely to be our starter. He's either a gigantic bust or a decent player who never got a fair shake a USC. We'll see

- Our running back will be by committee. It's not particularly a strength so maybe the freshman Sibley gets a shot but I seriously doubt it as he'll take that RS.

-WR should be OK. Weah and Henderson are pretty good. I wasn't a fan of the OC Watson hire, but whatever. Hopefully they'll use Henderson on more than just jet sweeps this year. Maurice Ffrench showed promise too. Who knows.

-OL looks to be OK. Replacing the entire left side of our offensive line won't be easy. Honestly the offense is a giant question mark given the new OC and new QB.

On Defense:

It's really a prayer. They have so many young guys that are probably more talented than the upperclassman, but you can't play all freshman and sophomores. I really hate 2 players on Pitt's defense. The LB Idowu is one and the CB Maddox is the other. Neither have any business being on an ACC roster let alone starting. Ford not making it on time hurts because the other safety spot is wide open. Unless Pitt can get to the QB, it's going to be a LONG season on the defense.

Right now, I'd say the game ends up 48-21 Penn State. And then Pitt comes home to play Oklahoma State
Reasonable post and I think 48-21 sounds reasonable too. We will definitely put up some points. Pitt may score 21 or maybe not, but it wouldn't shock me if that was close to the actual score.

Thanks but who are these wr's?
and I guess there D can't be any worse but they lost an all eveything DE and probably their best LB'r.
Why are they going to be better?

Losing Conner sucks but they have a good stable of backs. What hurts more this year is they won't have the OL from last year blocking for those backs, and still no idea whether Browne can be a competent replacement for Peterman. Throw in losing Canada to that mix

+100. I don't think some people realize how good Canada was for them and is.
Pitt would have been 100x better in making Canada HC and dumping duzzi.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
My favorite Pitt fans are the ones who spent 2 years stating Franklin ruined 14 and now wonder why he didn't play Mcsorely yet still proclaim Narduzzi a defensive genius despite Pitt's D being worse now than it was under Matt House

Brace yourself Pitt fans. It is going to be an ugly year. The bloom will be off Narduzzi's rose very soon

You mean Whitehead? I haven't read anything about him being in trouble.

Pitt has swept many things under the rug since Narduzzi took over. This will be similar. Hell, Bookser was on video getting chased by the cops and hasn't been suspended

Pitt has swept many things under the rug since Narduzzi took over. This will be similar. Hell, Bookser was on video getting chased by the cops and hasn't been suspended

Well seeing how things are going for MSU and a lot of those players were probably recruited by duzzi, I wouldn't be surprised if pitt is in for a similar fate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT