ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for evaluations on the DL through 8 games *

Starting DL seems to be coming on, and gave Iowa more than they could handle before we wore down somewhat.

DT depth is still a WIP. I never see Shelton beat his man or make much of a push. Thorpe still seems to be feeling his way. I didn’t see Mustopher in on many plays Saturday either.

The backup DE’s looked pretty average at best on Saturday, with Toney’s speed neutralized by the wet field. Hope Simmons continues to improve and get comfortable. We need the starting DE’s fresh and on the field at the end of games.

Reactions: MontereyLion
Starting DL seems to be coming on, and gave Iowa more than they could handle before we wore down somewhat.

DT depth is still a WIP. I never see Shelton beat his man or make much of a push. Thorpe still seems to be feeling his way. I didn’t see Mustopher in on many plays Saturday either.

The backup DE’s looked pretty average at best on Saturday, with Toney’s speed neutralized by the wet field. Hope Simmons continues to improve and get comfortable. We need the starting DE’s fresh and on the field at the end of games.

cant recall what he did this week (if anything) but Shelton actually looked good against Ohio State ... made some nice plays before leaving the game

No kidding.
Did you break down LBs again? I didn't watch #7 closely but I did see that he made a huge whiff on a tackle late in the game that could have been costly.
well i just checked 3 plays. 2:59 in the third qtr Iowa formation right, 7 is in the box and our right inside LBer (their left) they run a stretch type play right, he turns his shoulders to run (why? JS would kill him for that) over runs the ball, the back bends it back, 7 is untouched, back gains +4 when it could have been TFL.
2 6 I formation rt, Iowa runs a lead (ice) play to their right again over runs the ball, someone else makes the tackle +2.
3rd pass play to the other side of field no evaluation.
I'll say it again, every snap that kid takes from here on out is a wasted snap. play 11 and 40 that is the future.
I am sure I could find more.

We expected the DT position to lack depth. Things got worse with Hansard and Jordan injuries. Mustipher has been forced into action before his time.

We expected DE to be a strength until Buchholz and Brown retired. Simmons got hurt. Miller and Toney have been OK but not great.

We probably have the 5th or 6th best DL in the conference. Givens is very good and Matos is a rising star. Pretty average after that. We need to get Simmons going, hope the younger kids develop, and hope others get healthy for next year.

We expected the DT position to lack depth. Things got worse with Hansard and Jordan injuries. Mustipher has been forced into action before his time.

We expected DE to be a strength until Buchholz and Brown retired. Simmons got hurt. Miller and Toney have been OK but not great.

We probably have the 5th or 6th best DL in the conference. Givens is very good and Matos is a rising star. Pretty average after that. We need to get Simmons going, hope the younger kids develop, and hope others get healthy for next year.

Windsor played well this weekend. He made many more plays and was more disruptive than Givens.

well i just checked 3 plays. 2:59 in the third qtr Iowa formation right, 7 is in the box and our right inside LBer (their left) they run a stretch type play right, he turns his shoulders to run (why? JS would kill him for that) over runs the ball, the back bends it back, 7 is untouched, back gains +4 when it could have been TFL.
2 6 I formation rt, Iowa runs a lead (ice) play to their right again over runs the ball, someone else makes the tackle +2.
3rd pass play to the other side of field no evaluation.
I'll say it again, every snap that kid takes from here on out is a wasted snap. play 11 and 40 that is the future.
I am sure I could find more.
I was afraid of that. Not good.

Windsor has never impressed me other than clogging up space. Givens would not start on an "Elite" team. 55 I think is Shelton, I saw him collapse the pocket on several plays against Iowa. Mustipher moves well but he needs time in the weight room. Gross-Matos, Toney, and Miller take turns flashing their talent but overall they just don't look powerful as a unit.

i clearly remember that play ... was really bad

Reactions: 81b&w

Disagree on Shelton...watch the replays, he's as stout holding his gap and getting push as any of the DT's. They all get pushed around to some extent depending on what the opposing OL does.

Gross-Matos dominated which was HUGE for the DL development. Windsor (aside from the bonehead face mask penalty) played by far his best game.

I said before the game that I felt it would come down to the Iowa OL vs PSU DL. I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome

Reactions: masterbaker65
Our DL has great potential. Biggest area of concern is depth. Spence likes to rotate players a considerable amount. We need the depth to keep that 1st string fresh. By the end of the OSU game our DL was gassed from lack of substitution.

Our DL has great potential. Biggest area of concern is depth. Spence likes to rotate players a considerable amount. We need the depth to keep that 1st string fresh. By the end of the OSU game our DL was gassed from lack of substitution.

Oh, all most forgot, I’m super excited about Oweh! Cannot wait to see him develop. He’s going to be the best defensive lineman to come out of PSU in years.

They appear to get gassed in the 4th quarter. Played a great game against Iowa but struggled in Iowa’s final drives where we would drop LBs into coverage on obvious passing downs.

To each their own, but even in a conference loaded with DL, I would say that is nutz. :)
PSU's defense is 5th in both scoring and yards per game allowed. Althon's list of 16 pre season all conference linemen included just one from PSU (Miller). But OK, 5th or 6th is nutz.

Oh, all most forgot, I’m super excited about Oweh! Cannot wait to see him develop. He’s going to be the best defensive lineman to come out of PSU in years.

I’d like to see Oweh get some snaps this week in obvious pass downs. He could make a play or two

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT