ADVERTISEMENT

The incoming freshman Cunningham, an interesting prospect

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Four different high schools in 4 years. This young man seems to be in need of some guidance and direction. Already enrolled and it seems like he could be either the surprise of Spring practices with him earning a spot in the rotation for 2024 to burn his redshirt, or at the other extreme not on the roster after the Spring. Cunningham may be Barnes' personal mentorship forcus this semester, and I'm looking forward to a possible mention of him by the S&C staff as winter S&C goes along. The DL could surely use a war daddy DT that has the size and strength to clog up the whole middle of the DL against running teams such as UM.

Has any DT "crapshoots" ever worked out for Franklin? Fatorma Mulba, and Darkwa come to mind.

Reactions: aworsnup
Now that the portal is operating, does it make sense to spend a scholarship on a project? If he develops, he could easily bolt. If he doesn't develop, we wasted a scholarship.

Cunningham is not a crapshoot as far as talent. He's not a guy with great measurables who you are going to try to make into a great football player. He's got great measurables and football ability. The only question lies with his attitude and work ethic/drive to be the best. Evaluators see issues when you have 4 different high schools, claims of family interference etc. Franklin has proven to be pretty good in evaluating this before offering, so we'll see.

The above statements certainly have validity, however why isn’t it possible Coach Barnes does a great development that this young man is a success. It is painful to read the endless posts regarding OSU’s current paths to buy a team, be nice to see a positive thread for PSU.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
You need some high upside guys....and he seems like a high upside player. In a class of 25 you need 5-10 that have the potential to be first team all Big 10 players if they develop. You also need some on the roster to be solid dependable players that can be 3rd team big 10 players that do not perhaps make the extraordinary play, but also make the safe needed play.

Has any DT "crapshoots" ever worked out for Franklin? Fatorma Mulba, and Darkwa come to mind.
That's true, but none of them were ever considered a high 4 / potential 5 star recruit at any time of their high school years like Cunningham was. To me, that's what make Cunningham such an interesting young player to follow at PSU. Barnes seems like the type of "players coach" that could potentially bring out the best in a situation like this, but obviously Cunningham has to make the adjustments to college life that don't alway work out. I'm betting tht Barnes and the extended PSU football support staff bird dog Cunningham pretty much night and day........

Reactions: Gitzit

Neither of those guys did, but they are much different than TAC. TA is a former high end prospect who dropped in the rankings because he missed time due to various circumstances.

The 2 you mentioned were athletic freaks with limited football experience.

A positive example of this is Odafe Oweh; basketball kid who started football late and was just athletic off the charts.

At the end of the day, unless we chose TA over a higher ranked, can't miss type, it's probably irrelevant due to the portal. If he doesn't work out, he probably won't be here long.

Reactions: Gitzit
Cothren, Cothran, Windsor, Givens, Chavis, Tangello, Beamon, Ellies, Izzard,

Do you think it was 5 stars starting the last 10 years? Where was the defense ranked?
I believe Parker and Curtis were Bill Obrien recruits. Givens was a super athletic project that worked, I guess Windsor was a low rated prospect that excide expectations. I think the rest were higher ranked and not a "crapshoot"
Going back before Franklin. 2013 Parker, and Curtis, Sickles. 2012 Evan Schwan, Austin Johnson, Brent wilkerson, Derek Dowery.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Cunningham is not a crapshoot as far as talent. He's not a guy with great measurables who you are going to try to make into a great football player. He's got great measurables and football ability. The only question lies with his attitude and work ethic/drive to be the best. Evaluators see issues when you have 4 different high schools, claims of family interference etc. Franklin has proven to be pretty good in evaluating this before offering, so we'll see.
He was rated highly so let's see. The kid has been on campus 2 weeks and people on this board are projecting he could leave before spring ball. Crazy. Based on what? 4 high schools in 4 years. So. Franklin vetted this beforehand. These scholarships are valuable. I'm sure there was due diligence and not just sign the kid and hope/pray.

Four different high schools in 4 years. This young man seems to be in need of some guidance and direction. Already enrolled and it seems like he could be either the surprise of Spring practices with him earning a spot in the rotation for 2024 to burn his redshirt, or at the other extreme not on the roster after the Spring. Cunningham may be Barnes' personal mentorship forcus this semester, and I'm looking forward to a possible mention of him by the S&C staff as winter S&C goes along. The DL could surely use a war daddy DT that has the size and strength to clog up the whole middle of the DL against running teams such as UM.

I have followed Penn State Football since 1972. I can’t remember one successful outcome of converting an offensive lineman to a defensive tackle.

Converting a DT to an offensive tackle is a much easier task. Joe Paterno was successful in moving Levi Brown from DT to OT during his time at Penn State.

I hope the staff figures out Cunningham’s best position from the start.

Who knows? Since he has played at four different high schools maybe he is used to moving, making new friends, learning new systems, adapting well.

Some kids really suffer when they leave home. Maybe Franklin’s family style program will give him that good family vibe he has been looking for.🤷🏿‍♂️

Reactions: Ward Hog
I have followed Penn State Football since 1972. I can’t remember one successful outcome of converting an offensive lineman to a defensive tackle.

Converting a DT to an offensive tackle is a much easier task. Joe Paterno was successful in moving Levi Brown from DT to OT during his time at Penn State.

Was Cunningham an olineman? I didn't see that.

I've been following since my older brother's freshman year in 1967, and I can't think of anyone that made that conversion and played at a high level. But CJ Thorpe did move over to DT from OG and played at about the same level as he did on offense.

How about TE? Scioli and baublitz I believe.

Ps. How many did they ever try to convert?

Was Cunningham an olineman? I didn't see that.

I've been following since my older brother's freshman year in 1967, and I can't think of anyone that made that conversion and played at a high level. But CJ Thorpe did move over to DT from OG and played at about the same level as he did on offense.

The article mentions the idea of Cunningham being an OL due to his size dimensions. That’s why I said I hope the coaches figure out the correct position for him from the start,

CJ Thorpe as a DT was a failed experiment in my opinion.

Reactions: LMTLION

Dave Szott started out as a offensive lineman, switched to defensive tackle and started for a year before he moved back to the offensive line.

Reactions: blair10
The article mentions the idea of Cunningham being an OL due to his size dimensions. That’s why I said I hope the coaches figure out the correct position for him from the start,

When Thorpe was moved he didn't seem to be one of the top 5 or 6 olinemen, so he wasn't going to start there even though he had been at PSU a few years coming out of H.S. as a 4 star recruit. He was moved to DL for a couple of reasons including the fact that the DL was short on big, athletic bodies. Thorpe was that even though he didn't become a starter at DT. So he was as good on the DL as he was at OG. I believe he transferred to try and find a starting job but I don't remember how that worked out for him. That doesn't seem to make the experiment itself a failure as it seemed it was worth a try to help the team and Thorpe did contribute as a backup during the time the DL was very short on size and experience. But no he didn't become a starting DT.

When Thorpe was moved he didn't seem to be one of the top 5 or 6 olinemen, so he wasn't going to start there even though he had been at PSU a few years coming out of H.S. as a 4 star recruit. He was moved to DL for a couple of reasons including the fact that the DL was short on big, athletic bodies. Thorpe was that even though he didn't become a starter at DT. So he was as good on the DL as he was at OG. I believe he transferred to try and find a starting job but I don't remember how that worked out for him. That doesn't seem to make the experiment itself a failure as it seemed it was worth a try to help the team and Thorpe did contribute as a backup during the time the DL was very short on size and experience. But no he didn't become a starting DT.

I dont even consider it an experiment. Thorpe was TEMPORALRILLY moved because we had a need. I think there might have been an injury at DT. I forget if it was an injury or just lack of depth. Thorpe never transferred. He retired.

What is Cunningham's correct position? How aobut Martin and Liam Andrews?

I dont even consider it an experiment. Thorpe was TEMPORALRILLY moved because we had a need. I think there might have been an injury at DT. I forget if it was an injury or just lack of depth. Thorpe never transferred. He retired.

Injury necessitated the move. I believe his temper led to a personal foul down near the goal line and his playing time dropped drastically after that, offensive as well.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Consider it what you want. But he did move to DT as a redshirt freshman after being recruited as an interior OL player. Sure it was due to lack of depth at DT. And after moving back to OG he played in 13 games as a redshirt soph including 5 starts. His PSU career seemed to wind down as a RS Jr as he only started 3 games. Thorpe did enter into the transfer portal after getting his degree from PSU, but chose to move onto other priorities.

But Thorpe did move to DT to help out the team, and did get some playing time there as a young player.

Lots of high school players play on both the OL and DL so moving back and forth between the two in high school doesn't really seem to be the same as moving after getting recruited for one or the other. So I don't see Cunningham playing OL previously in H.S. as having any bearing on where PSU recruited him to play.

Last edited:

He’s from a family of “nomads”, looking for “their” clan.

Cunningham and Andrews were recruited as defensive tackles.
Andrews was recruited as a DL AFTER he was recruited as OL. Better to sign him as a DL than miss on him as an OL.

Most reports and stories on him said he projected better as OL.

Robert Windsor ..wasn’t he late unheralded pickup who turned out to be a very good player?
Yes and others. Givens profile was listed as a 240 lb LB.

The problem with DT is just numbers. On 247 there is 32 4* CBs, 22 4* QBs.
Only 7, 300lb 4* DT. One of them is probably too big at 366lbs.

Unfortunately, PSU has to take chances on guys like Cunningham. If he pans out to be a superstar, that could open the door for better DT recruiting down the road. If not, we aren't really any worse off ...

Sounds like this young man can use some tutoring from the one and only --- Sue Paterno. Look what she did with Bob White.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT