ADVERTISEMENT

Look at the winning scores this week

ram2020

Jul 29, 2013
And you will consistently see that the teams that win score over 30 points. I think 30 points has sort of become a requisite for offenses in modern day college football. Granted, I understand that MSU only scored 3 or whatever, but I am talking about the teams that won. Something that sort of bugged me about Franklin yesterday(and I am not a basher, I am a big fan of what he is doing with the program) is after the game he said "well, we won 35-6 so I'm not going to be unhappy." I think Saban would have been pissed with yesterday's performance if he was coaching this team. I sometimes wonder if we pat ourselves on the back too much. Watching the Unrivaled videos after Michigan and at halftime of Northwestern I was sort of caught off by something. Every player at halftime was talking about "we are the most explosive offense in the country," which i found to be a more higher level viewpoint than they should have, get the next play etc. . Look, I get it, but we really are not the most explosive offense in the country and I just think its a weird thing for a team to be saying. Sort of seems like what Franklin was talking about how the team was paying attention to the "outside noise and distractions." It only gets reinforced when Moorehead comes in after the Michigan game and says "500 yards of offense, 40+ points against the number 1 defense rah rah rah(which Michigan is not)."

This is meandering, but when we win and score a lot of points we say "We scored 30+" points what do you want?" When the offense doesn't play well, but the defense does(Pitt) we call it "complementary football." I don't think 30 points should be viewed as a major achievement anymore and I would like to see our coaching staff find more things with this team that need improvement than trumpeting over-inflated stats like: # of explosive plays, Total Yards, Points, etc. I guess what I am saying is that by merely scoring X amount of points, it does not mean that the play calling was wonderful or that our offense performed crisply. 30 points seems common place in modern day football.

CJF sees the glass half full, Saban sees it half empty. CJF believes the optimism sells recruiting for the current state of the program. Saban doesn't have to sell the optimism of a program on the "rise". He sells his program other ways.

And you will consistently see that the teams that win score over 30 points. I think 30 points has sort of become a requisite for offenses in modern day college football. Granted, I understand that MSU only scored 3 or whatever, but I am talking about the teams that won. Something that sort of bugged me about Franklin yesterday(and I am not a basher, I am a big fan of what he is doing with the program) is after the game he said "well, we won 35-6 so I'm not going to be unhappy." I think Saban would have been pissed with yesterday's performance if he was coaching this team. I sometimes wonder if we pat ourselves on the back too much. Watching the Unrivaled videos after Michigan and at halftime of Northwestern I was sort of caught off by something. Every player at halftime was talking about "we are the most explosive offense in the country," which i found to be a more higher level viewpoint than they should have, get the next play etc. . Look, I get it, but we really are not the most explosive offense in the country and I just think its a weird thing for a team to be saying. Sort of seems like what Franklin was talking about how the team was paying attention to the "outside noise and distractions." It only gets reinforced when Moorehead comes in after the Michigan game and says "500 yards of offense, 40+ points against the number 1 defense rah rah rah(which Michigan is not)."

This is meandering, but when we win and score a lot of points we say "We scored 30+" points what do you want?" When the offense doesn't play well, but the defense does(Pitt) we call it "complementary football." I don't think 30 points should be viewed as a major achievement anymore and I would like to see our coaching staff find more things with this team that need improvement than trumpeting over-inflated stats like: # of explosive plays, Total Yards, Points, etc. I guess what I am saying is that by merely scoring X amount of points, it does not mean that the play calling was wonderful or that our offense performed crisply. 30 points seems common place in modern day football.
Franklin is coaching Penn State not Alabama. Bama has the depth to nit pick every single win no matter the score. Also, I'm glad the players have that kind of confidence in themselves. As a former coach, confidence is a tough thing to implement. You want your players to think they're the best because then no deficit will look too big. We won quite a few games last year in the second half due to confidence and their faith that they could pull it out. Talk about looking for things to complain about.

Franklin is coaching Penn State not Alabama. Bama has the depth to nit pick every single win no matter the score. Also, I'm glad the players have that kind of confidence in themselves. As a former coach, confidence is a tough thing to implement. You want your players to think they're the best because then no deficit will look too big. We won quite a few games last year in the second half due to confidence and their faith that they could pull it out. Talk about looking for things to complain about.

I am not complaining. Anything we as fans are critical of on a freaking blog is well within bounds. And because you are a CYO coach or whatever, it doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine. I was a D1 athlete and I too have coached so I stand by my point. This team started to think this was all easy until it wasn' and the coaches seem all to happy to deflect from the negatives and trumpet the positives. They stopped paying attention to detail because of it and it cost them in the shoe and in MSU. They should certainly not be overly confident in their run game right? That we can surely agree.

I am not complaining. Anything we as fans are critical of on a freaking blog is well within bounds. And because you are a CYO coach or whatever, it doesn't make your opinion more valid than mine. I was a D1 athlete and I too have coached so I stand by my point. This team started to think this was all easy until it wasn' and the coaches seem all to happy to deflect from the negatives and trumpet the positives. They stopped paying attention to detail because of it and it cost them in the shoe and in MSU. They should certainly not be overly confident in their run game right? That we can surely agree.
I never said my opinion was more valid than yours. And what Franklin says publicly is probably different than what he says at practice and in the film room. And I'm not sure how you can say they stopped paying attention to detail....pretty broad accusation.

Reactions: nittnee
I never said my opinion was more valid than yours. And what Franklin says publicly is probably different than what he says at practice and in the film room. And I'm not sure how you can say they stopped paying attention to detail....pretty broad accusation.

It happened....stopped focusing on detail when that punt was blocked in OSU No? Late hit in the MSU game was poor.

It happened....stopped focusing on detail when that punt was blocked in OSU No? Late hit in the MSU game was poor.
Mistakes don't mean not paying attention to detail. I hate to break it to you, but every football team in the history of the sport makes mistakes. Even professionals make a ton of them. I watched one NFL game this year and there were 23 penalties called with 16 of them going against one team. Mistakes happen.

Mistakes don't mean not paying attention to detail. I hate to break it to you, but every football team in the history of the sport makes mistakes. Even professionals make a ton of them. I watched one NFL game this year and there were 23 penalties called with 16 of them going against one team. Mistakes happen.
So if not having the correct spacing on a punt that results in a block is not a lack of attention to detail and otherwise a mistake....then what would you consider a lack of attention to detail?

So if not having the correct spacing on a punt that results in a block is not a lack of attention to detail and otherwise a mistake....then what would you consider a lack of attention to detail?
The spacing was fine....the outside blocker blocked the wrong way. It's called a mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT