ADVERTISEMENT

Lions Legacy Club and Success With Honor Announce Merger to Become Happy Valley United

I don't know much about the success of these two programs individually, but merging them seems like you end up with the worst of each.

Clearly Football. At PSU, is the money maker for athletes.

Success with Honor and Lions Legacy are both better names than Happy Valley United.

All those intelligent individuals and they came up with a name more suitably used by State College's Chamber of Commerce.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
FyIQHv-WwAE8yNm

Personally, I don't want it to benefit all 800 athletes. I would be ok with cutting half the sports.
I think it's great. Glad PSU has so many different sports. Gives athletes across the spectrum opportunities to continue in the sport they enjoy even if it doesn't end up in a professional league. It opens other opportunities for them after graduation. I believe they are just as worthy of support as the major money makers, though their NIL shares are probably much less, they should have some NIL benefit as they represent PSU.

I think it's great. Glad PSU has so many different sports. Gives athletes across the spectrum opportunities to continue in the sport they enjoy even if it doesn't end up in a professional league. It opens other opportunities for them after graduation. I believe they are just as worthy of support as the major money makers, though their NIL shares are probably much less, they should have some NIL benefit as they represent PSU.
It is a waste of resources. What is the point in flying a non revenue producing team across country to play in front of 150 fans? Athletes in Non revenue producing sports can continue the sport they enjoy vs Bucknell, Lafayette, temple, Rutgers , Pitt and Maryland. Those games would probably draw more.

Reactions: bison13
Personally, I don't want it to benefit all 800 athletes. I would be ok with cutting half the sports.
Forget cutting half the sports, just cut the ones with a major imbalance. Namely gymnastics and swimming/diving. The rest are fine. But, in the era of NIL and the portal, we need to kill scholarships in the so-called revenue sports. You want to paid? Pay your own way. Football players are in no way deserving of 100K scholarships.

Forget cutting half the sports, just cut the ones with a major imbalance. Namely gymnastics and swimming/diving. The rest are fine. But, in the era of NIL and the portal, we need to kill scholarships in the so-called revenue sports. You want to paid? Pay your own way. Football players are in no way deserving of 100K scholarships.

Flawed logic. The schools are not paying the athletes who produce the billion dollar tv deals. If you want to cancel the scholarships then the athletes can play your game. They should sign with Leigh steinberg and Scott boras. You will wish they were on scholarship.

Flawed logic. The schools are not paying the athletes who produce the billion dollar tv deals. If you want to cancel the scholarships then the athletes can play your game. They should sign with Leigh steinberg and Scott boras. You will wish they were on scholarship.
Not flawed at all. In fact, I probably have a much much better understanding than almost everyone. The athletes do not generate revenue. The University's football and basketball teams do. The athletes are irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Not flawed at all. In fact, I probably have a much much better understanding than almost everyone. The athletes do not generate revenue. The University's football and basketball teams do. The athletes are irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Right. You know more than everyone. Funny how nobody is following your plan. Let me know when Alabama eliminates their scholarships.

Does basketball actually generate revenue at Penn State? Even if it does, wrestling certainly generates a lot more.

But I agree that this one-size-fits-all approach for all sports is flawed. I do think it would be much better for non-revenue sports to play local. I actually the idea of major colleges having JV football teams that could play local Division 2 or 3 schools.

Does basketball actually generate revenue at Penn State? Even if it does, wrestling certainly generates a lot more.

But I agree that this one-size-fits-all approach for all sports is flawed. I do think it would be much better for non-revenue sports to play local. I actually the idea of major colleges having JV football teams that could play local Division 2 or 3 schools.
All sports generate revenue. Penn State basketball does make money for the athletic department. Without trying to sort out basketball's contribution to the media rights contract, hoops brought in nearly 11 million the last (non-covid) season and didn't spend nearly that much. Wrestling almost certainly runs in the red having brought in a touch over 2 million and having a full time staff of 5 people. Five full time staffers plus all the part time staff likely cost in access of 2 million a year by itself without recruiting budgets, travel etc.

Hockey is more of a mystery. I know that the AD is very concerned about what happens when hockey starts feeding at the trough when Pegula's money runs out.

I do like your idea of JV.

Right. You know more than everyone. Funny how nobody is following your plan. Let me know when Alabama eliminates their scholarships.
On this message board, very likely. Funny you cite Alabama, a school that doesn't care about academics, integrity, its athletes or really anything beyond winning.

Last edited:
On this message board, very likely. Funny you cite Alabama, a school that doesn't care about academics, integrity, its athletes or really anything beyond winning.
Isn't winning the only thing care about now that Paterno is gone? You don't praise Franklin when he wins 11 games.

Reactions: bison13
Isn't winning the only thing care about now that Paterno is gone? You don't praise Franklin when he wins 11 games.
If Franklin started beating good teams on a regular basis I would praise him more. If he stopped whining about resources and took a pay cut, that would help as well. He won 10 games in a regular season four times. One of them (2019) was against the hardest schedule he has ever faced. I praised him for that. That was a good season. The other three? Not so much with last year being the softest since we joined the Big Ten. The one saving grace was backing into the Big Ten title game when we were the third best team in the division and beating Wisconsin. Two of three featured uncompetitive games against Michigan. 2022, against the schedule we played doesn't warrant praise because that is a very low bar for Penn State football. If he does that against this year's schedule where we have more than two teams that can beat us and doesn't have another uncompetitive game against Michigan, that is worthy of some praise. Not a lot. But some. Go 11 and 1 and lose a somewhat competitive game against Michigan or Ohio State, that would be worthy of praise.

Last edited:
Perhaps if he actually started beating good teams on a regular basis instead I would praise him more. He won 10 games in a regular season four times. One of them (2019) was against the hardest schedule he has ever faced. I praised him for that. That was a good season. The other three? Not so much with last year being the softest since we joined the Big Ten. Two of three three featured uncompetitive games against Michigan. 2022, against the schedule we played doesn't warrant praise because that is a very low bar for Penn State football. If he does that against this year's schedule where we have more than two teams that can beat us and doesn't have another uncompetitive game against Michigan, that is worthy of some praise. Not a lot. But some. Go 11 and 1 and lose a somewhat competitive game against Michigan or Ohio State, that would be worthy of praise.
Right. For you it is all about winning but even when they win you complain. You also ignore the honor and integrity.

Ps. Who did hack beat when he was winning 7 games a year? No wins over OSU.

Right. For you it is all about winning but even when they win you complain. You also ignore the honor and integrity.

Hardly, it is about winning the right way. Winning ten games against a softer than butter schedule is expected for a coach that makes almost 10 million a year. Losing in uncompetitive fashion is not. If he won ten games making half that and was at least somewhat competitive against Michigan, that would warrant some praise. But he doesn't and he didn't, and for all intents and purposes, got blown out by Ohio State as well once they decided to open up the game plan and take a couple of chances.

Get used to it. Until he proves he is anything more than an 8 and 4 career coach (average), I will hold him to the highest standard.

Why do you always deflect? Franklin is the topic, not Hackenberg.

Hardly, it is about winning the right way. Winning ten games against a softer than butter schedule is expected for a coach that makes almost 10 million a year. Losing in uncompetitive fashion is not. If he won ten games making half that and was at least somewhat competitive against Michigan, that would warrant some praise. But he doesn't and he didn't, and for all intents and purposes, got blown out by Ohio State as well once they decided to open up the game plan and take a couple of chances.

Get used to it. Until he proves he is anything more than an 8 and 4 career coach (average), I will hold him to the highest standard.

Who did hack beat that made up for his losses to temple, central Florida, Nebraska, Indiana, Maryland, and Illinois? Hack never even won 8 and that was with O'Brien. Funny how you move the bar for Franklin.

Who did hack beat that made up for his losses to temple, central Florida, Nebraska, Indiana, Maryland, and Illinois? Hack never even won 8 and that was with O'Brien. Funny how you move the bar for Franklin.
Funny how you always change the subject. You still won't deal with the topic at hand. Of course you won't deal with the fact that Hack ended his freshmen campaign as one of the best pro-style QBs in the nation, if not the best an ended his career less developed than the average top tier high schooler, under Franklin's watch. Funny how you like to move the bar.

that's not true, basketball generates a lot more and has for years

but the NIL should be exactly what it says. if you can get paid for your Name, Image or Likeness go right ahead. if you are playing an olympic sport that nobody watches you will have a harder time with this, naturally

that's not true, basketball generates a lot more and has for years

but the NIL should be exactly what it says. if you can get paid for your Name, Image or Likeness go right ahead. if you are playing an olympic sport that nobody watches you will have a harder time with this, naturally
That’s the thing. Conceptually I think NIL makes sense - if you can make money from your image, the fact that you are a student athlete shouldn’t prohibit that. But I don't see any reason why some random swimmer from PSU should be getting NIL payments unless they are individually marketable in some way.

The idea that NIL “should” pay money to all athletes at the school is an odd one to me. I love having a wide variety of sports teams at PSU but the athletic scholarships is sufficient compensation for most of them given the “value” the athlete brings in. (Not dismissing the hard work and time demands, but that’s true for students who are musicians or actors or chemistry majors doing research, etc as well and I don’t think they automatically should get NIL payments either.)

Last edited:
Funny how you always change the subject. You still won't deal with the topic at hand. Of course you won't deal with the fact that Hack ended his freshmen campaign as one of the best pro-style QBs in the nation, if not the best an ended his career less developed than the average top tier high schooler, under Franklin's watch. Funny how you like to move the bar.
Hack was never one of the best. He was ranked near the bottom of the B10 with O'Brien. Psu fans had very low expectations of that team because of sanctions. Hack was a 7-5 QB. Hack did not transfer because he was not going to start at most schools.

Last edited:
The idea that NIL “should” pay money to all athletes at the school is an odd one to me.

This sounds to me like the thinking of some out-of-touch people who believe that reality will bend to their mythical view of PSU athletics.

If you want to grow the department, the NIL should go entirely to the sports that bring the most revenue, allowing those to perform at a high level and draw even more money.

Spreading it around is a stupid idea and guaranteed failure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT