ADVERTISEMENT

Levis is just fun to watch

At this point, Levis has a better chance of making an NFL roster than Clifford for a number of reasons:

1. Levis clearly has a stronger arm and is demonstrating an ability to make nice, accurate touch passes - in the flat and on deep routes

2. Levis is now playing in more of a pro-style offense at KY and Stoops is doing a good job maximizing Levis’ throwing ability without using him as a battering ram.

3. Clifford has regressed under Franklin, which isn’t surprising. It only took CJF 3 OC’s before he realized that running your QB 10+ times per game isn’t actually considered QB development.
BS
Levis only has a better chance at the NFL as a TE or H back. Better touch? LOL

They still have to win 4 more in the conference. It'll be everything they got to get there.
SC, MS State, Tennessee and Vandy….again, shouldn’t be that tough. Throw in LSU and 10 wins is very possible.

At this point, Levis has a better chance of making an NFL roster than Clifford for a number of reasons:

1. Levis clearly has a stronger arm and is demonstrating an ability to make nice, accurate touch passes - in the flat and on deep routes

2. Levis is now playing in more of a pro-style offense at KY and Stoops is doing a good job maximizing Levis’ throwing ability without using him as a battering ram.

3. Clifford has regressed under Franklin, which isn’t surprising. It only took CJF 3 OC’s before he realized that running your QB 10+ times per game isn’t actually considered QB development.
I watched the game….Levis was about as accurate as Clifford was…not much difference between the two yesterday.

Three different offensive coordinators and the head football coach all favored Clifford over Levis. Perhaps Levis wasn't given a fair chance? I mean only 3 years....
Good Lord! The BWI CAC is incredible. Just wait till Fleming or Shorter catches a TD pass. Any Slade sitings? Where is the thread to bring Gattis back? LOL

Three different offensive coordinators and the head football coach all favored Clifford over Levis. Perhaps Levis wasn't given a fair chance? I mean only 3 years....
Good Lord! The BWI CAC is incredible. Just wait till Fleming or Shorter catches a TD pass. Any Slade sitings? Where is the thread to bring Gattis back? LOL
And if Levis would have got the starting position and Clifford had transferred to KY, he’d be the starter there as well….and folks on this board would be saying Franklin picked the wrong guy because Levis wasn’t throwing for 500 yards and 5 TD’s every game.

Did you only watch the highlights of their first game and skip yesterday's game altogether other than seeing the score?

Levis was 10/18 passing, 179 yards, 1 TD, 1 int. 11 rushes, 25 yards, 1 TD, longest run 10 yards.

This is far from an NFL offense, unless you are referring to the 1960s.

They run 4:1 yesterday compared to week 1. It's a running offense with PA passing.

Did you only watch the highlights of their first game and skip yesterday's game altogether other than seeing the score?

Levis was 10/18 passing, 179 yards, 1 TD, 1 int. 11 rushes, 25 yards, 1 TD, longest run 10 yards.

This is far from an NFL offense, unless you are referring to the 1960s.

They run 4:1 yesterday compared to week 1. It's a running offense with PA passing.
Online coaches are never confused by the facts:cool:

Reactions: WyomingLion
CJF went with Experience over raw talent, IMHO. I can't complain given the rest of the talent we have on offense.

People have to remember that SC has a full season of experience as a starter under his belt going into 2020. Then, with no spring and little camp leading up to the season, Levis got thrown in with very little coaching and very little experience. He was a huge reason why PSU righted the ship against the lesser competition by playing a bettering ram at QB for short-yardage situations. We never really saw a true Will Levis who was coached up and prepared to be a starter.

Keep in mind, the entire offense was unprepared as we underperformed at every position except TE on offense leading to the OC being dismissed.

As long as SC stays healthy, it is turning out the way it should: PSU has a quality starter and Levis gets to lead a team after having a normal run-up to a season. God Bless us all.
How do you know “he received very little coaching “?

Online coaches are never confused by the facts:cool:

Our own the most. Lol

Even the pre game hype train was in on it yesterday. I live close enough to hear UK Sports Radio and somebody compared Levis to Couch. Think it was more about his confidence level and demeanor than his arm but still.

Let him do what he does well and perhaps he can win 9 games and stay competitive with the big 3.

Our own the most. Lol

Even the pre game hype train was in on it yesterday. I live close enough to hear UK Sports Radio and somebody compared Levis to Couch. Think it was more about his confidence level and demeanor than his arm but still.

Let him do what he does well and perhaps he can win 9 games and stay competitive with the big 3.
I loved the kid when he was slobber knocking our opponents in short yardage. I really want to root for him and I'm happy he can be a starter. But, damn, the fanboys here make me almost hope he tanks. So tired of loving every player that goes somewhere else. I always thought being a fan of a team meant giving love to the kids that stay....oh well, silly me.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I loved the kid when he was slobber knocking our opponents in short yardage. I really want to root for him and I'm happy he can be a starter. But, damn, the fanboys here make me almost hope he tanks. So tired of loving every player that goes somewhere else. I always thought being a fan of a team meant giving love to the kids that stay....oh well, silly me.
Well, three of our best defensive players played someplace else before. College football has changed. Just because one roots for WL doesn’t mean they root against SC

Well, three of our best defensive players played someplace else before. College football has changed. Just because one roots for WL doesn’t mean they root against SC
So true. However, it would be hard to argue most of the Levis posts aren't backhanded swipes at Clifford and CJF. (not saying that's your intent). Every player on the squad played football somewere else before they came to PSU. As a long time PSU fan, I've seen them come and I've seen them go. I root for them because they play for PSU.

So he received as much as everyone else, not any less.
Nope. I don’t know if you can read or not. SC is a three year starter who had and entire spring, fall, and season as the starter. If you think Levis has received as much coaching as SC you are delusional.

So true. However, it would be hard to argue most of the Levis posts aren't backhanded swipes at Clifford and CJF. (not saying that's your intent). Every player on the squad played football somewere else before they came to PSU. As a long time PSU fan, I've seen them come and I've seen them go. I root for them because they play for PSU.
Well. I’ve posted supporting WL several times and am concerned about depth. I also feel it is very possible WL is the better QB had they had equal opportunity. That doesn’t mean CJF made a mistake or I don’t like SC. CJF made a starter decision based on experience and who had the best chance to win in 21. But that doesn’t mean he is the better QB of the two. It is situational

Nope. I don’t know if you can read or not. SC is a three year starter who had and entire spring, fall, and season as the starter. If you think Levis has recorded as much coaching as SC you are delusional.
Well it cannot be helped that he is a younger player. Oh, nice smarta$$ response, thanks for the holier than thou attitude.SMH

Nope. I don’t know if you can read or not. SC is a three year starter who had and entire spring, fall, and season as the starter. If you think Levis has recorded as much coaching as SC you are delusional.
And SC is a three year starter because he demonstrated that he was the better QB during that span and earned the "coaching" that comes with being the starter.

Blah. Blah. Blah Blah Blah. Did you pick Stevens to win the Heisman too? Your repetitive digs at Franklin and Clifford have regressed too.

Well. I’ve posted supporting WL several times and am concerned about depth. I also feel it is very possible WL is the better QB had they had equal opportunity. That doesn’t mean CJF made a mistake or I don’t like SC. CJF made a starter decision based on experience and who had the best chance to win in 21. But that doesn’t mean he is the better QB of the two. It is situational
The depth argument is silly. It isn't CJF's or anyone else's fault that WL didn't want to waste his eligibility on providing "depth" for the mental well being of the PSU fan base.
Nor would Clifford likely have hung around if Levis were named the starter.
I'd love to hear what other people saw in Levis last year that convinced them that he would take the reins and lead PSU to a ten win season if Clifford went down.
You have professed that the game has changed. Yes it has. Perhaps nowhere more than the QB position. I'm starting or I'm leaving.
PSU has two QB's coming in. If the both sign and show up.....tell me which one do you think will stick around to be a backup if the other is named the starter?
Empirical evidence tells us that CJF, Rahne, Kirk Ciarrocca and Mike Yurich all decided on Clifford. But you and the rest of the BWI CAC know better.
Levis was 10-18 for 179 with a TD and a pick. But he would have been THE guy.

SC, MS State, Tennessee and Vandy….again, shouldn’t be that tough. Throw in LSU and 10 wins is very possible.
Last night they said it was Stoops 25th conference win. That win tied him in first place among Kentucky Coaches. It is amazing that no Kentucky coach has ever 26 SEC games in their career there.

Reactions: lazydave841
The depth argument is silly. It isn't CJF's or anyone else's fault that WL didn't want to waste his eligibility on providing "depth" for the mental well being of the PSU fan base.
Nor would Clifford likely have hung around if Levis were named the starter.
I'd love to hear what other people saw in Levis last year that convinced them that he would take the reins and lead PSU to a ten win season if Clifford went down.
You have professed that the game has changed. Yes it has. Perhaps nowhere more than the QB position. I'm starting or I'm leaving.
PSU has two QB's coming in. If the both sign and show up.....tell me which one do you think will stick around to be a backup if the other is named the starter?
Empirical evidence tells us that CJF, Rahne, Kirk Ciarrocca and Mike Yurich all decided on Clifford. But you and the rest of the BWI CAC know better.
Levis was 10-18 for 179 with a TD and a pick. But he would have been THE guy.
Yikes. I sense anger. I never said he was better, I said he never had a fair shot given the lack of coaching and practice time last year And if you don’t think we are thin at QB this season, I am speechless.

Yikes. I sense anger. I never said he was better, I said he never had a fair shot given the lack of coaching and practice time last year And if you don’t think we are thin at QB this season, I am speechless.
I never said we weren't thin......I simply stated that it isn't in the cards that players who believe they can start somewhere are gonna stick around to provide depth......here or anywhere else except perhaps Alabama. I strongly disagree with the opinion that he never had a fair shot.

Reactions: 91Joe95
this is absolutely true in today's world, backup QBs who were considered top prospects are NOT going to stay if they get beat out. few coaches use the Spurrier approach where they will go game to game pulling and replacing QBs based on performance. so if you lose the job, you are likely holding a clipboard unless there is an injury. With QB there unfortunately only one way to get on the field. We did use Levis as a 3rd down short yardage runner last year, and it worked as well as the RBs. that of course is not a real plan any QB wants to do on a long term basis.

I think the discussion here should not deny that SC won the job and at least 2 OCs along with JF saw the two to compare. once you become #2 you will not get the same reps, so when you have a chance you need to perform. Levis had his chance last year and it did not work out for him. Even though it did not work out, PSU took a hit when we lost Levis, as now an injury to the starter could lead to big problems. We had a lot more flexibility with Levis on the roster.

All this being said, the one thing that is hard to deny is that Levis right now looks to have a much stronger arm than Clifford. SC is missing deep throws that we cannot afford if you are going to have an OFF that lives off the big play. They both can run, so that is not much different, and SC looks like a more complete QB, and seems to be making fewer mistakes. Neither look like NFL players to me, and will likely be in their real world careers in the near future.

we are now living in a world if you recruit big time QB room, they will mostly all leave after the winner is determined.

I don't get why people here think Levis is so great/accurate. He had the opportunity to start a couple times and appeared in many games and some of those passes he threw were nowhere close. I distinctly remember him throwing some five-yard hitch routes at a hundred miles an hour before the guy turned around or missed by 5 yards and not much touch in general.

Reactions: marshall23
I don't get why people here think Levis is so great/accurate. He had the opportunity to start a couple times and appeared in many games and some of those passes he threw were nowhere close. I distinctly remember him throwing some five-yard hitch routes at a hundred miles an hour before the guy turned around or missed by 5 yards and not much touch in general.
Because he looked good against LA Monroe.

A great athlete with a big arm is a much better NFL prospect than a good athlete and good passer, but what is your point? Levis might make an NFL roster for Taysom Hill reason, but neither are NFL QBs.

And if Levis would have got the starting position and Clifford had transferred to KY, he’d be the starter there as well….and folks on this board would be saying Franklin picked the wrong guy because Levis wasn’t throwing for 500 yards and 5 TD’s every game.
Is it possible that those that would say Franklin made the wrong choice if Clifford ebded up in Kentucky would be different than the ones that say it’s the wrong choice with Levis starting at UK?

Reactions: WyomingLion
Is it possible that those that would say Franklin made the wrong choice if Clifford ebded up in Kentucky would be different than the ones that say it’s the wrong choice with Levis starting at UK?
Nope, it would be the same folks…the ones who question every move Franklin makes.

It would actually be worse if we let the higher rated player AND one with more experience leave to go start at UK.

Reactions: BBrown
Levis had 2018, 2019 and winter of 2020 before Covid. He had lots of coaching.
He did not have an entire spring or fall running with the ones. Do you think timing and all just happens over night? Jeesh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT