ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s predict the “head scratcher” play call of the OSU game

PennSt8er

Aug 16, 2001
JF is good for at least one pure head scratcher play call. Whatcha got?

I got going for it on 4th and short with the push the QB play call on the PSU 30 yl

Reactions: JoeLion and psuno1

I got going for it on 4th and short with the push the QB play call on the PSU 30 yl
CJF has been so good as a coach we now need to make up mistakes for him? OK

giphy.gif

CJF

Reactions: GreggK and WIP2001

Honestly, I hope he would go for it on 4th and really short from our own 30...too many coaches punt in that situation

I may be in the minority but I wish we'd play Beau in certain situations with the game still on the line. He's a nasty runner.
I think that’s the plan. Mid 2nd qtr, Drew limps off and Beau comes in. He runs once, then hits Wallace on the fly for a TD.

Next possession Drew makes a miraculous recovery and plays well as we win going away.

THIS THREAD IS PATHETIC! WHERE ARE THE MODS?

I may be in the minority but I wish we'd play Beau in certain situations with the game still on the line. He's a nasty runner.
13 seconds to go in the half ball at the PSU 25.Drew shaken up on last series. They send in Beau who does his fake take a knee then hit Tre over the middle for a 75 yd TD..

Unsure about head scratching, but I’ll definitely be doing some @$$ scratching during the game. But that’s just a given.

Honestly, I hope he would go for it on 4th and really short from our own 30...too many coaches punt in that situation

I don't know where this "choked" idea comes from. Last year PSU was in it but Franklin's QB threw a bad INT and gave up a strip sack, and the PSU D collapsed and that was the game.

Several years PSU's offense played lights-out in the first half but Ohio State did what a top 5 team does -- they controlled the line of scrimmage, shut down the PSU offense, and by the 4th quarter PSU D was gassed and pretty ineffective. No choke, it's just the difference between a top 5 program and a top 15 program.

This year PSU really has a chance with an active defense and the best OL Franklin has had in his time. But PSU also has weaknesses -- lack of a true No. 1 wideout. inexperience at QB, and possibly lack of size up front on D. Ohio State has potential weaknesses too defending the run and pass-blocking. Really impossible to know how the teams will match up but at least athletically PSU matches up better than they have in the recent past.

I don't know where this "choked" idea comes from. Last year PSU was in it but Franklin's QB threw a bad INT and gave up a strip sack, and the PSU D collapsed and that was the game.

Several years PSU's offense played lights-out in the first half but Ohio State did what a top 5 team does -- they controlled the line of scrimmage, shut down the PSU offense, and by the 4th quarter PSU D was gassed and pretty ineffective. No choke, it's just the difference between a top 5 program and a top 15 program.

This year PSU really has a chance with an active defense and the best OL Franklin has had in his time. But PSU also has weaknesses -- lack of a true No. 1 wideout. inexperience at QB, and possibly lack of size up front on D. Ohio State has potential weaknesses too defending the run and pass-blocking. Really impossible to know how the teams will match up but at least athletically PSU matches up better than they have in the recent past.
Spot on.

Some people just have to keep beating drum of negativity because they hate the Head Coach.
I loved Paterno, but his following became too cult-like for many and continued despite it being obvious there was growing dysfunction in the late 90s (one if those teams should have won an NC with all that talent) and then the dark ages followed for several years. Essentially, after ‘94 PSU was never again a national contender under Joe. Franklin moved the program past the Sandusky sanctions and has us nationally relevant again, which infuriates the cultists.

I loved Paterno, but his following became too cult-like for many and continued despite it being obvious there was growing dysfunction in the late 90s (one if those teams should have won an NC with all that talent) and then the dark ages followed for several years. Essentially, after ‘94 PSU was never again a national contender under Joe. Franklin moved the program past the Sandusky sanctions and has us nationally relevant again, which infuriates the cultists.
BS was 11-1 in 2005… woulda been undefeated if it weren’t for the heel toe screw job in Mich.

Plus two B2G titles after that. Was looking at a one loss season until the scandal hit. With solid talent for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
BS was 11-1 in 2005… woulda been undefeated if it weren’t for the heel tod screw job in Mich.

Plus two B2G titles after that. Was looking at a one loss season until the scandal hit. With solid talent for the future.
This is what the other poster was referring to. Paterno should have been gone before then. Bradley or LJ should have been running the team at this point and we would have been just as good if not better.

Even Nastrodamus couldn’t know that.
Paterno wasn;t relevant to our success at the point. If any hurt the team by having Jay around.
It's okay for the biggest Paterno fan to admit that. It doesn't alter the fact he's one of the greatest coaches in any sport of all time. Like many, he didn't know when to walk away.
Again, the inability for some to acknowledge this is what the other poster meant.

Paterno wasn;t relevant to our success at the point. If any hurt the team by having Jay around.
It's okay for the biggest Paterno fan to admit that. It doesn't alter the fact he's one of the greatest coaches in any sport of all time. Like many, he didn't know when to walk away.
Again, the inability for some to acknowledge this is what the other poster meant.
And I set the record straight that we continued to nationally relevant during his last ten years.

Some people just have to keep beating drum of negativity because they hate the Head Coach.
As OP, I like the head coach. I think he's done wonders with most of his recruiting, his hiring of most assistants, and with retaining an environment of relatively high ethics around the program.

Usually all coaches have head scratchers in big games--like Cristobal recently.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Loved Joe--but there's no denying he had lost his mojo well before the scandal media hype. He struggled with player names, and his coaching staff was stale and nepotistic. It hurt the program's chances of regrouping under some of the other talented coaches because he did not seem to have a succession plan. Maybe HBO should do a series about the internal politics to be the successor--only to never get picked.

Loved Joe--but there's no denying he had lost his mojo well before the scandal media hype. He struggled with player names, and his coaching staff was stale and nepotistic. It hurt the program's chances of regrouping under some of the other talented coaches because he did not seem to have a succession plan. Maybe HBO should do a series about the internal politics to be the successor--only to never
He was able to squeeze out '05 and '08 but he should have retired after '94. He did not know what to do with himself. Sue probably told him she did not want him hanging around. Interestingly if scUM had not scored with no time left in '05 Joe would have had another undefeated team not to get a shot at the title.

Could happen. Ryan has seemed stressed out lately.
That's what the job is at Ohio State. If Day loses to Michigan for a third straight year, it's over for him. If he loses to PSU at home it might be over. The whole program knows this and it undoubtedly affects recruiting and assistant coach plans. Ohio State expects a playoff team every single year, no exceptions.

Loved Joe--but there's no denying he had lost his mojo well before the scandal media hype. He struggled with player names, and his coaching staff was stale and nepotistic. It hurt the program's chances of regrouping under some of the other talented coaches because he did not seem to have a succession plan. Maybe HBO should do a series about the internal politics to be the successor--only to never get picked.
Heard that that school/BoT made it clear when Joe retired they would someone from outside the program. That’s one reason why Ferentz was the leading rumor candidate. That’s why there was no succession plan by Joe….it wasn’t his call.

You should pitch it to the network. Sounds like fresh idea.

That's what the job is at Ohio State. If Day loses to Michigan for a third straight year, it's over for him. If he loses to PSU at home it might be over. The whole program knows this and it undoubtedly affects recruiting and assistant coach plans. Ohio State expects a playoff team every single year, no exceptions.

If he loses to us but beats Michigan he'll be fine. We aren't their rival and beating Michigan will make up for it if they end up winning the division as well.

He was able to squeeze out '05 and '08 but he should have retired after '94. He did not know what to do with himself. Sue probably told him she did not want him hanging around. Interestingly if scUM had not scored with no time left in '05 Joe would have had another undefeated team not to get a shot at the title.
And in 2005 we weren’t even ranked in the preseason top 25. In fact, we were not ranked after week two. Or week three. Or week four. Finally showed up in week five at nineteen. Ended up at #3 at end of season with a team that was unranked for the first entire month of the season. So Over the Hill Joe and that incompetent staff took a team that no one thought was even a top twenty five team and came within 3 seconds and one bizarre referine call of being undefeated and still ended up at #3.

Wish all our coaches were always that incompetent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT