ADVERTISEMENT

LB recruiting and misses

Bull-pucky. FLO fired him because his little buddy (John Butler) felt threatened by RV.

Vanderlinden previously coached for McCartney at Colorado. He and his wife prefer the more relaxed atmosphere of Colorado Springs.

Vanderlinden was so accomplished as a coach that recruits selected PSU so that they could learn under him.

BOB also YELLED at Brady for not following directions.

BOB will be let go by years end this year.

Probably no one you’ve heard of. RV arrived at PSU in 2001 and by 2005 was cranking out NFL caliber LB’s such as

Wake, Connor, Lee, Pozluzny, Shaw, Bowman, Hall, Stupar, Hull, Mauti, Zordich.....
Glen Carson, too, among others.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Probably no one you’ve heard of. RV arrived at PSU in 2001 and by 2005 was cranking out NFL caliber LB’s such as

Wake, Connor, Lee, Pozluzny, Shaw, Bowman, Hall, Stupar, Hull, Mauti, Zordich.....

You know what a lot of these guys have in common is there were running backs as well in high school so had the toughness and understanding how to go against the run.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don’t think anybody can factually say Vanderlinden wasn’t a great LB coach.
In my book far and away the best LB coach ever at PSU. He was a good recruiter as well.
He and BOB butted heads. BOB fired him, then left for the NFL.
He was the best linebacker coach that I have seen on the college level.

The old guy from
Brooklyn used to recruit qb’s and make them linebackers, ends, defensive ends, wide receivers, etc.

5* Parsons, 4* Luketa, 5* B Smith, 4* Dixon

We're going to have the best linebacking core in the Big Ten starting next year. No doubt there were a ton of misses leading up to this point, but Franklin fixed it by killing it in recruiting (as he usually does).

That might be a little premature. I would say two years. The problem is THIS year.

THe staff did not put enough emphasis on the position until recently. PSU will have great LBs in the future but up until this year they were more interested in athletes than actual LBs with experience and LB skills. I think they learned their lesson but it will take a little time to get up to speed.

I think we have had 3 walk ons start at LB since JF arrived. I can't think of any at QB, DT, WR, CB, S, and RB combined.

Could not get lined up correctly all day, especially in the 4th quarter. Something was too complicated. Heard a bunch of analysts say this also after the game. Yeah, one was Wanny, but a few others too.
I agree with you on this. They hit that one TD pass off a blitz with 2 guys coming from the secondary on a Blitz with the MLB covering the inside receiver. Either that was a blown D, or it was a D poorly drawn up (and we ran it twice in the game so I think it was the later)
We do seem to have alot of paralyze by analysis. cut down the thinking and let them play.

That is what happens when you are playing a new position.
yea, but it also happens to guys that have played the position, some pick things up quickly others dont. Dont slow these guys down by making them think.

yea, but it also happens to guys that have played the position, some pick things up quickly others dont. Dont slow these guys down by making them think.

Many of our LBs are learning a new position. Notice how many of the top LBs the last 6 years where guys who played the position when they signed? I think it is true for most of the positions. They players who play their original positions also get on the field sooner.

If you don't want to make them think then don't put them in a new position and make them play early. Instincts don't happen overnight.

Many of our LBs are learning a new position. Notice how many of the top LBs the last 6 years where guys who played the position when they signed? I think it is true for most of the positions. They players who play their original positions also get on the field sooner.

If you don't want to make them think then don't put them in a new position and make them play early. Instincts don't happen overnight.
In an interview, Pry said he likes ro move guys “ up “ a position. This is done in hopes of retaining speed.
Examples on the current roster would be Jarvis Miller at LB, and Nick Tarburton at DE.

In an interview, Pry said he likes ro move guys “ up “ a position. This is done in hopes of retaining speed.
Examples on the current roster would be Jarvis Miller at LB, and Nick Tarburton at DE.

JMO and I get what Pry and many others like about doing that but the problem is it takes time to develop that player, if it happens at all.
Sadly its been a fail as far as both Koa and Cam go. Cam is getting better but I've given up on Koa.
I would rather see us try and do that with a player or 2 but recruit DT to be DT's and LB'r to be Lbr's.
I think you see the last gasp of the sanctions affecting our DT's and LB'rs. After this recruiting class we will not be re-building any longer.

that aint the thinking I am talking about, I am talking about the thinking any LBer has on a particular play like, ...
Adjustments? What do I do vs 1 back? vs 2 back? vs no back? Vs 2 TE's vs 4 quicks? vs motion
pass? am I in Man or Zone, who is my man, where is my zone, are we in Man under? Do I bump vs motion or stay with my man?
Run? What is my fit on run to, run away, play action?
Option? who do I have? RB? QB? Pitch?
Blitz what are my responsibilities? do I go? or do I just play? do we check off in certain situations? Do we check to another blitz vs certain formations
Goal line? where do I line up/
Sub? 3 man line where do I line up? (Farmer lined up as a DT in our 3 man line vs Illinois)

just a few off the top of my head of what they think about, and this is all before the ball is snapped!

Right. Problem is Mauti, Hull, Carson, Bell, Wartman, Cabinda > Miller and Farmer.

Pry wants speed but we need someone who runs the right direction and makes tackle. Why do you think Brandon Smith was playing? I doubt it was his speed

JMO and I get what Pry and many others like about doing that but the problem is it takes time to develop that player, if it happens at all.
Sadly its been a fail as far as both Koa and Cam go. Cam is getting better but I've given up on Koa.
I would rather see us try and do that with a player or 2 but recruit DT to be DT's and LB'r to be Lbr's.
I think you see the last gasp of the sanctions affecting our DT's and LB'rs. After this recruiting class we will not be re-building any longer.

In fairness they did have at least 5 DTs decommit since 2014 and also missed on wilkins who was a top target.

LB on the other hand they did not emphasize until recently. They learned and PSU will be much better at LB going forward

Reactions: BBrown
Right. Problem is Mauti, Hull, Carson, Bell, Wartman, Cabinda > Miller and Farmer.

Pry wants speed but we need someone who runs the right direction and makes tackle. Why do you think Brandon Smith was playing? I doubt it was his speed
Agree. Speed does not substitute for instincts. Ideally, you want both, but not everybody is like Poz and Connor and Lee and Bowman and Mauti etc.

Looks like Franklin experiment with recruiting tweeners failed and the defense is suffering for it. Glad he recruiting natural LBs now atleast for the most part.

Reactions: 81b&w
Troy Reeder, Jake Cooper, Daiquon Kelly, Brelin Faison-Waldon and Braylin Franklin all seem to be misses. Add that to the fact that Koa Farmer and Jarvis Miller came in undersized and had to learn the position and aren’t natural LB’s. Micah also has to learn the position (but few are worried about him) although we did waste several months trying him at MLB. Also didn’t even get 3 years from Manny...Jan Johnson, like Brandon Smith, I believe will be a pleasant surprise.

Although the future looks bright with Micah, Luketa, Katshir, and (if they sign) B. Smith and Lance Dixon and hopefully Mekhail Sherman, Pry has had some bad luck for more than a few years with his position group.

And these are just the players we’ve signed. Not even mentioning the locals that got away like David Adams, Brendan Ferns, Dylan Rivers, Avery Roberts etc...
There are "athletes" then there are "football players"

Sure Art will find a way to RIP me on this.

Looks like Franklin experiment with recruiting tweeners failed and the defense is suffering for it. Glad he recruiting natural LBs now atleast for the most part.

It is a minor setback. We are still light years ahead of where we would be if we listened to the fans who wanted to hire Jay or Golden.

I seem to recall Lavar overplaying and being out of position as a freshman too
It's natural for frosh and first year starters to be out of place. Even if they know better they often let emotions get to them....it's part of growing up on the field. The fact that this many frosh and RS frosh are making contributions bodes well for the future of this program.

Pretty sure they did this out of necessity rather than strategy. Get as many athletic kids in as quickly as possible to fill out the decimated roster. I'd say it worked out very well as it made them competitive and opened the door for the elite talent with no downsides of the past couple classes.

In fairness they did have at least 5 DTs decommit since 2014 and also missed on wilkins who was a top target.

LB on the other hand they did not emphasize until recently. They learned and PSU will be much better at LB going forward

Yea good point.

Pretty sure they did this out of necessity rather than strategy. Get as many athletic kids in as quickly as possible to fill out the decimated roster. I'd say it worked out very well as it made them competitive and opened the door for the elite talent with no downsides of the past couple classes.
A super big yes to this! Our memories are short. O'Brien, then Franklin, had to make critical decisions about building a team where outside of themselves, and the players and families they were recruiting, no one had any faith. Where Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, etc., were having top ranked recruiting classes and we were on the cusp of our SMU existential moment. Of course they had to take chances and experiment, and strategize, and it was not going to be perfect.

We act as though the trajectory of where we are today was based on a normal typical team building journey. We act as though our success and where we stand at this moment was a given and a right. We forget that based on the dreams of those inside and outside the University who tried to destroy it we're suppose to be dead, not in the B1G Championship and CFP conversation. This team and coaches have fought like dogs over the past 5 years to earn this gift, even as Franklin continues to say publically, we're not where he wants us or need to be. Yet, here we are. What do we do with that? Either we will win this Saturday or we won't, but let's enjoy the gift. Rant over.

Reactions: mcgunns and mcm265
A super big yes to this! Our memories are short. O'Brien, then Franklin, had to make critical decisions about building a team where outside of themselves, and the players and families they were recruiting, no one had any faith. Where Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, etc., were having top ranked recruiting classes and we were on the cusp of our SMU existential moment. Of course they had to take chances and experiment, and strategize, and it was not going to be perfect.

We act as though the trajectory of where we are today was based on a normal typical team building journey. We act as though our success and where we stand at this moment was a given and a right. We forget that based on the dreams of those inside and outside the University who tried to destroy it we're suppose to be dead, not in the B1G Championship and CFP conversation. This team and coaches have fought like dogs over the past 5 years to earn this gift, even as Franklin continues to say publically, we're not where he wants us or need to be. Yet, here we are. What do we do with that? Either we will win this Saturday or we won't, but let's enjoy the gift. Rant over.

Not to mention the coaching staff previously had to recruit at Vandy, not on many top recruits top 5. Previous recruiting experience there may have influenced their recruiting strategies at the beginning of their time at PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT