ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Hairball?

SLion

May 29, 2001
Back in AA but no word on signing contract. Apparently awaiting word from Jets and Chargers. MGoBlog said that Heacock (ISU DC) started following UM football on twitter. It appears either he is DC or Matt Campbell is coming in and Harbaugh is out. He is absolutely stringing this out where no goodwill can be left. That is rumor.

• Wow
Reactions: Ranger Dan
Per Peterson on Fansided UM site:

Unless Harbaugh signs his extension today, it will be clear that he wants to be with any NFL team over Michigan and in my opinion, that will make Manuel’s job very easy.

People have been talking about setting a deadline and I don’t know that Manuel needs to do that. He just needs to put the contract in front of his coach and ask for an answer.

And if Harbaugh still won’t give him one, then I think that’s an answer all by itself. We have heard this extension was a done deal and an announcement was just days away — a few days ago — and here we sit.

If those reports are true, Harbaugh will sign his deal Tuesday and all this worry will have been for not. But if that doesn’t happen, then I believe Harbaugh’s tenure with Michigan football ends.

Per Peterson on Fansided UM site:

Unless Harbaugh signs his extension today, it will be clear that he wants to be with any NFL team over Michigan and in my opinion, that will make Manuel’s job very easy.

People have been talking about setting a deadline and I don’t know that Manuel needs to do that. He just needs to put the contract in front of his coach and ask for an answer.

And if Harbaugh still won’t give him one, then I think that’s an answer all by itself. We have heard this extension was a done deal and an announcement was just days away — a few days ago — and here we sit.

If those reports are true, Harbaugh will sign his deal Tuesday and all this worry will have been for not. But if that doesn’t happen, then I believe Harbaugh’s tenure with Michigan football ends.

Doesn't Harbaugh have a current contract with Michigan (for another year)?

Doesn't Harbaugh have a current contract with Michigan (for another year)?

Yes he does. I mean what are they going to do to him??? Fire him and have to pay a buyout? Then he jumps to an NFL team with no financial penalty and extra $$$ in his pocket. I guess you could pull the extension which only hurts recruiting and the program. The school is in a no win situation.

Back in AA but no word on signing contract. Apparently awaiting word from Jets and Chargers. MGoBlog said that Heacock (ISU DC) started following UM football on twitter. It appears either he is DC or Matt Campbell is coming in and Harbaugh is out. He is absolutely stringing this out where no goodwill can be left. That is rumor.
Matt Campbell coaching Michigan would make the Wolverines respectable again...

Reactions: OhioLion
I would personally enjoy if Harbaugh exited from Michigan and Urban Stepped in as H.C. , word has it, he was to be our next H.C. before the mess. OSU fans would implode.

I would personally enjoy if Harbaugh exited from Michigan and Urban Stepped in as H.C. , word has it, he was to be our next H.C. before the mess. OSU fans would implode.

While there's 0% chance of that ever occurring unless Michigan plays him $20 million a year, he'd have Michigan competing for titles within a few years. Not sure we want that.

I'm content with Harbaugh exactly where he's at.

Reactions: Grant Green

Ohio State would still be rolling Michigan every year even if Michigan had Saban or Belicheat. Urban wants no part.

If Urban turned down Texas and its monster HS recruiting and money. he sure won't take the Michigan job. He has to coach in a fertile recruiting area and Michigan isn't it. The only two schools he'll coach at again is ND or return to OSU. He's headed to the NFL

Wasn't Rich Rod supposed to be a good hire?

Hoke?

Harbaugh was considered a slam dunk. He won at Stanford. Super bowl at SF.

Campbell is probably a really good coach, but I don't foresee him countering Jim's bane: the Buckeyes.

Michigan alone isn't a recruiting hotbed. Ohio is all but locked down minus the kids the Buckeyes don't want. Being that he still didn't even get ISU recruiting out of the 40s, it's not like he's coming in as a lights out recruiter. Sure, Michigan is top 10-15 regardless, but how much of that is name value vs value of the kids they are getting?

Development is important, as well, and Campbell seems to have that in spades, but he's definitely no more of a home run type hire than these previous hires have been.

Ah but there’s the rub, Rich Rod, Hoke and Sharkface all brought in great recruiting classes. However none of them were any good at making these athletes into great football players, and 4 and 5 players still have to be coached properly and developed. Campbell has spent his coaching career turning lower level recruits into much better players. At Michigan he might really build excellent teams out of all that talent, because that’s what he’s does. As A PSU fan I’d rather he not be given that opportunity at Michigan.

Reactions: 81b&w
Ah but there’s the rub, Rich Rod, Hoke and Sharkface all brought in great recruiting classes. However none of them were any good at making these athletes into great football players, and 4 and 5 players still have to be coached properly and developed. Campbell has spent his coaching career turning lower level recruits into much better players. At Michigan he might really build excellent teams out of all that talent, because that’s what he’s does. As A PSU fan I’d rather he not be given that opportunity at Michigan.

Hoke did better with Rich Rod's players than he did his own highly touted recruits. Steady decline in wins as his players filtered through.

Harbaugh's best team was filled with Hoke players, but they fell apart at the end. The rest of his teams have mostly been even keel, 3-4 loss teams. Zero seasons with 2 losses or less, zero wins vs OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT