ADVERTISEMENT

Last night's game was unusual

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Reminded my on a Paterno era game.

Allen had 72 yds on 21 carries (3.4 avg)
Singleton only had 49 yds on 17 carried (2.9 avg)
Allar only threw for 166 yds

But PSU won 31-0

Iowa moved the ball well on their first drive but got stopped at mid field. They moved the ball well on their second drive but fumbled. They didn't make a single 1st down after than until garbage time. PSU struggled to run the ball and only had 10 pts at half in spite of being the beneficiary of turnovers and favorable calls. The long drive to start the second half was awesome. Allar was very efficient and Allen was a workhorse. After that Iowa's defense was spent.

But PSU won 31-0

Iowa moved the ball well on their first drive but got stopped at mid field. They moved the ball well on their second drive but fumbled. They didn't make a single 1st down after than until garbage time. PSU struggled to run the ball and only had 10 pts at half in spite of being the beneficiary of turnovers and favorable calls. The long drive to start the second half was awesome. Allar was very efficient and Allen was a workhorse. After that Iowa's defense was spent.
Penn State kept scoring while I was waiting for a big play. It was almost as if their scores were unnoticed because they just kept moving three and four yards at a time. Definitely old school Penn State.

I know that Franklin has been preaching game management and ball security, but I'm kind of surprised we didn't take at least one shot downfield to stretch the defense. Of course, can't argue with the results, just an observation. Other than the deep ball to Clifford vs Illinois, have we thrown really deep in any significant manner? I think it's another bullet in the chamber we've yet to use.

Reactions: Obliviax
I know that Franklin has been preaching game management and ball security, but I'm kind of surprised we didn't take at least one shot downfield to stretch the defense. Of course, can't argue with the results, just an observation. Other than the deep ball to Clifford vs Illinois, have we thrown really deep in any significant manner? I think it's another bullet in the chamber we've yet to use.
Agreed. There haven’t been many downfield throws all season, let alone over the middle. Maybe the coaches know how good the defense is and figure winning the turnover battle is all that is needed to win with this D.

Reactions: hlstone
I felt both coaches were unconcerned about defending the pass in those conditions. But they gained confidence in Allar as the game went on until he was benched. It was still a very conservative passing attack.

But PSU won 31-0

So very refreshing. I absolutely loved it.

But PSU won 31-0

PSU basically played this game like Michigan has the past two seasons. Although I’d like the staff to have more confidence in Allar, and eventually they are going to have to stretch the field with the passing game, I understand the game plan that they used last night. The only way Iowa had any chance was if PSU had committed multiple turnovers.

One other thing. In the preseason and even going into this game, we heard that Iowa had one of the best defenses in the country. Therefore, if you still accept that premise, then last night’s performance was all the more impressive.

Reactions: dswartz
Perhaps it was planned that way because of the weather. Perhaps that is what good coaches do. They anticipate and adjust. I saw nothing unusual in what the PSU offense or defense did yesterday. The reason... the coaches aren't weekend warriors that spend their time posting here. They are not like all of us.

Reactions: PennState_one
I hope you're correct that it's another bullet in the chamber we've yet to use but I'm not convinced our WRs are capable of getting deep against good defender. We'll see.

Perhaps it was planned that way because of the weather. Perhaps that is what good coaches do. They anticipate and adjust. I saw nothing unusual in what the PSU offense or defense did yesterday. The reason... the coaches aren't weekend warriors that spend their time posting here. They are not like all of us.
Rip, so you don't believe the coaches read and form a game plan based on what we say here in the forum's????

• Wow
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

But PSU won 31-0

Allar only had 166 yards passing, but had 4 TDs and 0 INTs. The stat that never gets mentioned, but is probably one of best in defining just how well our defense played (and how efficient the Offense played), PSU had 4 turnovers and zero giveaways. For the season, PSU has 12 takeaways and 0 giveaways and leads the nation in "Turnover Margin" at +3.0 per game.

Allar only had 166 yards passing, but had 4 TDs and 0 INTs. The stat that never gets mentioned, but is probably one of best in defining just how well our defense played (and how efficient the Offense played), PSU had 4 turnovers and zero giveaways. For the season, PSU has 12 takeaways and 0 giveaways and leads the nation in "Turnover Margin" at +3.0 per game.
Allar certainly did a great job "managing" the game. The 12 takeaways vs 0 turnovers is amazing. The only somewhat critical thing I can say is that some of those turnovers have been gifts as much as PSU creating them. Like the short punt into the Iowa blocker's back and a couple of Altmeyer's throw last week. But even if it was 8-0 it would be awesome.

"Perfect" game IMHO, dominated TOP (my favorite stat), dominated first downs, dominated yardage, and forced 4 turnovers, while making none. Oh, and dominated scoring, too. Penn State held the ball for over 45 minutes, 3x what Iowa had the ball for. The first half looked a little slow, perhaps, but it was just setting up for a big second half as Iowa's defense got gassed and Penn State's defense stayed fresh, and with a good lead, was able to attack a bit. I think my favorite play was Chop Robinson's strip of McNamara at the end of the 3rd - it was the coup de grace for Iowa.

Reactions: PennState_one
I hope you're correct that it's another bullet in the chamber we've yet to use but I'm not convinced our WRs are capable of getting deep against good defender. We'll see.
Agreed. We were up by 10 midway through the second and had that lead at half and it was hard to imagine how we'd lose to Iowa and their wounded, inept offense. No need to get overly aggressive. then we went up by 17 midway through the third qtr and you knew it was 95% done. When we went up by 24 at the end of the 3rd, CJF put in the second team.

Reactions: bdgan
"Perfect" game IMHO, dominated TOP (my favorite stat), dominated first downs, dominated yardage, and forced 4 turnovers, while making none. Oh, and dominated scoring, too. Penn State held the ball for over 45 minutes, 3x what Iowa had the ball for. The first half looked a little slow, perhaps, but it was just setting up for a big second half as Iowa's defense got gassed and Penn State's defense stayed fresh, and with a good lead, was able to attack a bit. I think my favorite play was Chop Robinson's strip of McNamara at the end of the 3rd - it was the coup de grace for Iowa.

PSU dominated every single statistic - PSU outrushed Iowa 215 to 20 yards..... Outpassed them 166 yards, 4 TDs and 0 INTs to 56 yards, 0 TDs.... 28 1st Downs to 4.... TOP 45:27 to 14:33..... 97 Off Plays to 33......

Iowa was completely dominated every way possible - the notion that PSU had some lucky breaks which was the big difference is so laughably ridiculous, it isn't even funny.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Both teams have top 5 Defenses. Scoring over 30 against Iowa is a big deal especially in the rain.

Can anyone remember a game - involving PSu or otherwise - where one team had 45+ min in TOP? I can’t

Found this for the NFL:

The Houston Oilers have the ball the most by a team in a game, with 48:34 of possession versus the Cowboys on November 10, 1991.

I’m sure there may be some college games where it’s Bama vs. Little Sisters of tte Poor with a greater TOP disparity, but 45 min is crazy against another Power 5 team

Reactions: 84Lion and Obliviax
Can anyone remember a game - involving PSu or otherwise - where one team had 45+ min in TOP? I can’t

Found this for the NFL:

The Houston Oilers have the ball the most by a team in a game, with 48:34 of possession versus the Cowboys on November 10, 1991.

I’m sure there may be some college games where it’s Bama vs. Little Sisters of tte Poor with a greater TOP disparity, but 45 min is crazy against another Power 5 team
Did my own research:

Although the NCAA doesn't officially keep track of single-game time of possession records, MSU's TOP of 47:50 is believed to be an FBS record. Air Force had previous record of 45:14 set in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT