ADVERTISEMENT

Football Landon Tengwall has medically retired

It wouldn't be Penn State without someone on the 2 deep ending a career during preseason. We can not have nice things.
Just me or do we have more of these medical retirements than other schools. That 5* tackle a few years ago, journey, and no this. And for whatever reason, its always guys with great promise.

Reactions: aworsnup
Whatever his promise, whatever his star rating, this sucks for the kid. That is the only thing that should matter to fans. Whether a young man is hopelessly stuck in 4th string or is a future NFL draft choice, having an injury take away his ability to play a game he loves is cause for empathy. Good luck to you, Landon, in all that you do.

These stories always leave a lot of questions. Was it a concussion? Something that would put him at risk of long-term injury if he continued?

About 20 years ago, I remember a local kid getting a concussion and a stinger. In the following scans, they found something unusual in his vertebrae. They recommended he stop playing and he did.

Reactions: marshall23
These stories always leave a lot of questions. Was it a concussion? Something that would put him at risk of long-term injury if he continued?
Can't confirm the rumored concussion issues for tengwall but TBI is extremely serious. Each TBI makes the next significantly more probable and more damaging. A large number of nfl players end up with CTE. Brain health is just too important for an athlete who is showing serious risk to continue IMO. I think Landon and those close to him made the right call if this was his issue.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Can't confirm the rumored concussion issues for tengwall but TBI is extremely serious. Each TBI makes the next significantly more probable and more damaging. A large number of nfl players end up with CTE. Brain health is just too important for an athlete who is showing serious risk to continue IMO. I think Landon and those close to him made the right call if this was his issue.
am friends with a coach from a previous era at PSU. Was having lunch with him in team cafeteria and he was commenting on kids coming in door for lunch. And a kid came in that we as in we on McCandrew boards were all excited about. Friend says "he will never play" because they discovered after he got to campus he had a series of severe concussions, unreported to them, while still in HS. Team/ school was not going to expose him to that risk. Not saying that's what going on with Tengwall, I have no information on his case, but as you say TBI is something to take seriously at a young age.

About 20 years ago, I remember a local kid getting a concussion and a stinger. In the following scans, they found something unusual in his vertebrae. They recommended he stop playing and he did.
This makes me think of Doug Sieg, a QB from Bellefonte back when Tony Sacca was pushed into action in 1988. He had to medically retire after they found he had a narrow spinal column or something like that. He's now CEO of Lord Abbett, so I think his decision worked out OK.

This makes me think of Doug Sieg, a QB from Bellefonte back when Tony Sacca was pushed into action in 1988. He had to medically retire after they found he had a narrow spinal column or something like that. He's now CEO of Lord Abbett, so I think his decision worked out OK.
His Dad Phil probably had a lot to do with the Lord Abbett thing but yes, he made the right decision.
The other kid that came to mind was Chad Crell, who would have been the successor to Wally Richardson, instead of McQueary.

His Dad Phil probably had a lot to do with the Lord Abbett thing but yes, he made the right decision.
The other kid that came to mind was Chad Crell, who would have been the successor to Wally Richardson, instead of McQueary.
Chad Kroell from Clearfield. Not sure if he was really next up or not, but I do know Joe mentioned him at times.

The article says that he had not been seen around for several weeks. Did we miss this? It would have been obvious. The Big Ten network said OL looked great and deep. No mention of him being away since camp started.

The article says that he had not been seen around for several weeks. Did we miss this? It would have been obvious. The Big Ten network said OL looked great and deep. No mention of him being away since camp started.

He was at fall camp for a couple days, but his absence was noted by the end of the first week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT