ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Wade now listed as a Safety; Parsons will be #11

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...a-legendary-number-for-Linebacker-U-114936352

Here are all of the early enrollee numbers and measureables:

2 - Isaiah Humphries (6-0, 190)

11 - Micah Parsons (6-3, 240)

19 - Trent Gordon (5-11, 180)

40 - Jesse Luketa (6-3, 235)

46 - Nick Tarburton (6-3, 260)

82 - Zack Kuntz (6-7, 230)

In other notes:

• Sophomore Lamont Wade was listed at CB last season but is now listed at S.

• Former WR Dae'lun Darien is now listed as a LB and wearing No. 41.

• Walk-on DE Colin Castagna, is no longer on the roster.

• Redshirt freshman OG CJ Thorpe has changed from No. 61 to No. 69
[Nice.]

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...a-legendary-number-for-Linebacker-U-114936352

In other notes:

[Nice.]

I think he ends up being more like NY Giants 56. Wouldn’t that be something.

Spider is back, but I don’t believe he is the equipment manager anymore ...?

Reactions: Bob78
I think it settle's the LB or DE issue.

All those who thought LB appear to be wrong.

CJF said that Tarburton had lost 10 to 15 lbs. since he arrived. I wonder when these weights were recorded. Was he 260 before he lost the weight? Or is he now about 245 after loosing the weight. At 245 he could play MLB if he's athletic enough. But I think before it's all said and done he has his hand on the ground.

In other notes:

[Nice.]

That’s excellent news. A starting secondary of Reid, Amani, Wade, and Scott could be formidable.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
I thought prototypical safeties were a little taller than Wade. I'm thinking 5'11" minimum. Why do people think this is such a good match? I thought Wade had the kind of athleticism that was a match for cornerback. I could see why he would be moved to safety for lack of having safeties, but a better match than cornerback? Guess I don't understand.

I thought prototypical safeties were a little taller than Wade. I'm thinking 5'11" minimum. Why do people think this is such a good match? I thought Wade had the kind of athleticism that was a match for cornerback. I could see why he would be moved to safety for lack of having safeties, but a better match than cornerback? Guess I don't understand.
Likewise.

It could be a case where Wade has talent the coaches want on the field. Reid will be back and Oruwariye played well last season, IMO. Depending upon the opponent and coverage schemes we use, Wade could still be getting assignments which are more like a CB than a safety. If a guy has the talent, they have to play him.

I love the move of Wade to safety. I see him becoming a ballhawk back there, hopefully he can win the starting job this year.

Reactions: Bob78 and Augman

Our four best players returning in the secondary are all CBs. Something had to give. Think it is that simple. This staff isn't going to let talent sit on the bench.

Reactions: LionJim
It could be a case where Wade has talent the coaches want on the field. Reid will be back and Oruwariye played well last season, IMO. Depending upon the opponent and coverage schemes we use, Wade could still be getting assignments which are more like a CB than a safety. If a guy has the talent, they have to play him.

We play as much or more nickle than 4 DBs, so Wade can still be utilized as a nickle about half the time. The kid looked to be pretty fearless last season, so I suspect he will adapt and play well at Safety.

Wade move to S is huge. A lot of us here projected it. I'm glad it happened this early.

Parsons getting #11 should end the remaining DE thoughts that may have loomed.

Current DEs on the roster include #s 18, 19, 34, 48. DTs include 30 and 42. I think the number assignment for Defense in college is largely irrelevant; position numbers are not prescribed to the extent they are in the NFL.
#11 is the Lavar tribute (and Bowman did the number proud, too), but does not dictate his position, imo.
#31 may have, though!

Reactions: ftlpsu and djr4rebs
Passing on this team will be very difficult this year with the secondary and pass rush. The defensive ends and dynamic pass rushers will be a force.

Reactions: LionJim
You can wear whatever number you want at any position in college. There are no restrictions. Parsons can play DE or LB with #11. While I love the comparisons to LaVar (I think Parsons will be as good as LaVar) I would have liked to see him stick with 23 and make his own name at that number.

I do like the move to S for Wade. He's too much of a talent to have on the bench. He's athletic enough to play S and really excel. With Reid, Omani, and TCF at CB you'd hate to see a guy as athletic as TCF or Wade on the sidelines.

I was really impressed with Nick Scott at safety, too. I thought he was a far better player than Apke, who I won't even get into because he seems like a good kid and I don't want to trash him.

DE- Buckholtz, Shareef Miller, Shane Simmons, Shaka Toney, Gross-Matos, Oweh, Daniel Joseph

DT - Givens, Windsor, possibly slide Buckholtz inside ala Zettel a few years ago, Hansard, Mustipher, Ellison Jordan, Damion Barber, Culpepper, Aeneas Hawkins

LB- Farmer, Cam Brown, Micah Parsons, Faisen-Waldon, Brailyn Franklin, Ellis Brooks, Luketa, Tarburton, Katshir, Jake Cooper

Secondary - Amani O, John Reid, Castro Fields, Donovan Johnson, DJ Brown, Zechariah McPherson, Trent Gordon, Jordan Miner

Safety - Nick Scott, Ayron Monroe, Lamont Wade, Garrett Taylor, Jonathan Sutherland, Isiah Humphries, John Petrishen

This D is loaded with talent. Some of the talent isn't even mentioned. The D will be better than expected

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT