ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Wade now listed as a Safety; Parsons will be #11

That’s excellent news. A starting secondary of Reid, Amani, Wade, and Scott could be formidable.

As much as I like Scott as an athlete and special teams contributor there were many times where I could see him looking at the other team making a big play last year. I'd rather see Monroe and Wade as our starting Safety's.....

And Wade has some wheels. Wasn't he timed in the 4.4's last year going into Fall camp? Wade also knows what to do with the ball when he gets it in his hands, as he was a terrific RB and returner at Clairton....

Last edited:
DE- Buckholtz, Shareef Miller, Shane Simmons, Shaka Toney, Gross-Matos, Oweh, Daniel Joseph

DT - Givens, Windsor, possibly slide Buckholtz inside ala Zettel a few years ago, Hansard, Mustipher, Ellison Jordan, Damion Barber, Culpepper, Aeneas Hawkins

LB- Farmer, Cam Brown, Micah Parsons, Faisen-Waldon, Brailyn Franklin, Ellis Brooks, Luketa, Tarburton, Katshir, Jake Cooper

Secondary - Amani O, John Reid, Castro Fields, Donovan Johnson, DJ Brown, Zechariah McPherson, Trent Gordon, Jordan Miner

Safety - Nick Scott, Ayron Monroe, Lamont Wade, Garrett Taylor, Jonathan Sutherland, Isiah Humphries, John Petrishen

This D is loaded with talent. Some of the talent isn't even mentioned. The D will be better than expected

I see you listed Barber as a DT. Is something that was made official? He was recruited at DE out of high school.

Reactions: PoquosonLion
DE- Buckholtz, Shareef Miller, Shane Simmons, Shaka Toney, Gross-Matos, Oweh, Daniel Joseph

DT - Givens, Windsor, possibly slide Buckholtz inside ala Zettel a few years ago, Hansard, Mustipher, Ellison Jordan, Damion Barber, Culpepper, Aeneas Hawkins

LB- Farmer, Cam Brown, Micah Parsons, Faisen-Waldon, Brailyn Franklin, Ellis Brooks, Luketa, Tarburton, Katshir, Jake Cooper

Secondary - Amani O, John Reid, Castro Fields, Donovan Johnson, DJ Brown, Zechariah McPherson, Trent Gordon, Jordan Miner

Safety - Nick Scott, Ayron Monroe, Lamont Wade, Garrett Taylor, Jonathan Sutherland, Isiah Humphries, John Petrishen

This D is loaded with talent. Some of the talent isn't even mentioned. The D will be better than expected

Barber is listed as a DE (6'3", 245), and I'm glad he is. We have plenty of talent at DT including Shelton and Bolds, and we need some bigger framed DE's to hold up against the running games of the better teams we play.

It's great that the PSU official depth chart can be sorted by position on the site, as it really makes it easy to check depth and talent at each position....

Reactions: T J
Just looking forward to when we have a Safety (or Safeties) that can make a play on a pass between the hash marks.

Reactions: royboy
As much as I like Scott as an athlete and special teams contributor there were many times where I could see him looking at the other team making a big play last year. I'd rather see Monroe and Wade as our starting Safety's.....

And Wade has some wheels. Wasn't he timed in the 4.4's last year going into Fall camp? Wade also knows what to do with the ball when he gets it in his hands, as he was a terrific RB and returner at Clairton....

If Nick Scott was a quality safety they wouldn't move wade there.

You can wear whatever number you want at any position in college. There are no restrictions. Parsons can play DE or LB with #11. While I love the comparisons to LaVar (I think Parsons will be as good as LaVar) I would have liked to see him stick with 23 and make his own name at that number.

I do like the move to S for Wade. He's too much of a talent to have on the bench. He's athletic enough to play S and really excel. With Reid, Omani, and TCF at CB you'd hate to see a guy as athletic as TCF or Wade on the sidelines.

I was really impressed with Nick Scott at safety, too. I thought he was a far better player than Apke, who I won't even get into because he seems like a good kid and I don't want to trash him.
Apke won the mvp of his senior bowl and got invited to the combine. Not too shabby.

If Nick Scott was a quality safety they wouldn't move wade there.

It also could have something to do with how the CB's that redshirted last year have progressed (Brown & Johnson), along with the fact that there are 2 CB's true freshmen vs only 1 Safety true freshman, Humphries, with the 2017 class having only 1 Safety (Sutherland). And CJF loves position flexibility (and Wade enrolled early and worked at CB last Spring), which will make Wade valuable if/when injuries happen during the season....

Looking over the rest of the roster I don't see any obvious weight changes.

Last edited:

DE- TORRENCE BROWN

Last edited:
Too bad about Colin. He had some time last year, and looked like a good guy to spell the other DEs.
Brown
Buchholz
Miller
Toney
Simmons
Gross Matos

That's 6 DEs with experience plus Joseph, Barber, & Oweh. If there's one poisition with extensive depth this is it. That's why I'm surprised that Toney isn't at LB. Putting all of our faith in a true freshman seems risky.

Arrington started out as a running back so he was given #11. He got switched to LB before the end of his first fall camp but kept his number.

You can wear whatever number you want at any position in college. There are no restrictions. Parsons can play DE or LB with #11. While I love the comparisons to LaVar (I think Parsons will be as good as LaVar) I would have liked to see him stick with 23 and make his own name at that number.

I do like the move to S for Wade. He's too much of a talent to have on the bench. He's athletic enough to play S and really excel. With Reid, Omani, and TCF at CB you'd hate to see a guy as athletic as TCF or Wade on the sidelines.

I was really impressed with Nick Scott at safety, too. I thought he was a far better player than Apke, who I won't even get into because he seems like a good kid and I don't want to trash him.
Your first two sentences are incorrect----there ARE restrictions on the offensive line positions--only numbers 50-79 can be used

Reactions: djr4rebs
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...a-legendary-number-for-Linebacker-U-114936352

Here are all of the early enrollee numbers and measureables:

2 - Isaiah Humphries (6-0, 190)

11 - Micah Parsons (6-3, 240)

19 - Trent Gordon (5-11, 180)

40 - Jesse Luketa (6-3, 235)

46 - Nick Tarburton (6-3, 260)

82 - Zack Kuntz (6-7, 230)

In other notes:

• Sophomore Lamont Wade was listed at CB last season but is now listed at S.

• Former WR Dae'lun Darien is now listed as a LB and wearing No. 41.

• Walk-on DE Colin Castagna, is no longer on the roster.

• Redshirt freshman OG CJ Thorpe has changed from No. 61 to No. 69
[Nice.]

Ok then, so Tarburton will not be a LBr. LOL.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Spider retired years ago. Pre-CJF.

Yea but he came back a few years ago, maybe even OB's first year. I seem to remember it was his wife who initially sewed the names on the back of the jerseys for the Miami of Ohio game. At least I think thats what happened.

Did anyone ever say where Irv Charles is going?

I believe Bowen and Charles are both still in the PSU register for this semester. Will be interesting if either one of them pops up in the future. Bowen had that foggy instagram post about being given a 2nd chance to work his way back.

I believe Bowen and Charles are both still in the PSU register for this semester. Will be interesting if either one of them pops up in the future. Bowen had that foggy instagram post about being given a 2nd chance to work his way back.

I thought they were probably still enrolled, at least until spring.
Yes thanks for reminding me I do remember that post about a 2nd chance.

Aren't there two safeties on the field at a time, generally speaking?

Yea sometimes three ...
If Scott- Monroe- Taylor are all cracked up to be would you move a freshman who was tearing it up at corner all season in practice and saw quality time... Reid may Not come back as healthy we don't know. And AO has had ups and downs. He is being put back there because they need a good safety and he is an upgrade over all if them.

the back end needs at least one good full time starter. I like the bob Sanders comparison. The other spot can now be a committee

He didn't look bad in the limited action against MD.

Looks like the staff told him he would have a very hard time seeing the field at WR, and that he has potential on defense. Obviously has the frame to play LB, and will only be a SO this Fall. He'll have lots of work to do in the wt. room, and I don't look for him to be on the field in 2018 as a LB in game action, but another athletic LB developing for 2019-20 is a good thing....

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
Yea but he came back a few years ago, maybe even OB's first year. I seem to remember it was his wife who initially sewed the names on the back of the jerseys for the Miami of Ohio game. At least I think thats what happened.

No he left after the BW game in 2014 after Bill was gone and Franklin was already here. He had a health scare before taking the High School AD job came back to town and started working in the club. His office is above the museum. Also we didnt play Miami of Ohio. We played Ohio.

Apke was much better then people realize. I think many just can't admit they were wrong about him.

Apke was very good against the run, and was a very sure tackler. But he was a liability against the pass and that is the area we should see improvement in this coming year with Monroe, Wade, and some others. We will need better LB play to make up for the great run support that Allen and Apke provided....

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...a-legendary-number-for-Linebacker-U-114936352

Here are all of the early enrollee numbers and measureables:

2 - Isaiah Humphries (6-0, 190)

11 - Micah Parsons (6-3, 240)

19 - Trent Gordon (5-11, 180)

40 - Jesse Luketa (6-3, 235)

46 - Nick Tarburton (6-3, 260)

82 - Zack Kuntz (6-7, 230)

In other notes:

• Sophomore Lamont Wade was listed at CB last season but is now listed at S.

• Former WR Dae'lun Darien is now listed as a LB and wearing No. 41.

• Walk-on DE Colin Castagna, is no longer on the roster.

• Redshirt freshman OG CJ Thorpe has changed from No. 61 to No. 69
[Nice.]

Hope #11 Parsons is more of a disciplined team-player than his legacy holder of that number.

No he left after the BW game in 2014 after Bill was gone and Franklin was already here. He had a health scare before taking the High School AD job came back to town and started working in the club. His office is above the museum. Also we didnt play Miami of Ohio. We played Ohio.

Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT