ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Wade now listed as a Safety; Parsons will be #11

Pretty thorough article on the PSU secondary...... by PL.

Penn State's secondary shuffle: The impact of Lamont Wade's move to safety

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...tes_secondary_shuffle.html#incart_river_index

Man on a mission....

penn-state-spring-football-practice-april-19-2017-221d7c08fecd0a54.jpg

The author of the PennLive article thinks Campbell will be an early round NFL draft pick? I'm not sure I can take anything he says seriously after reading that. It's like he has never watched the guy play.

The PSU secondary in 2017 had one very good player and three guys who were very bad. I think we all know who is who.

The author of the PennLive article thinks Campbell will be an early round NFL draft pick? I'm not sure I can take anything he says seriously after reading that. It's like he has never watched the guy play.

The PSU secondary in 2017 had one very good player and three guys who were very bad. I think we all know who is who.

You're as silly as the Penn Live writer calling our secondary players "very bad." That's very stupid.

You're as silly as the Penn Live writer calling our secondary players "very bad." That's very stupid.

One of those guys will always be remembered for two heroic plays, and I will always be grateful for those, but outside of those two plays he was a huge liability and was burned often.

Both Castro-Fields and Amani will be upgrades to what we had last year, although I'm not sold on Amani, either. He is still better, though. John Reid always has been a stud. I also hope that Wade is better at safety than he was at CB this past year. He too was beat often for big plays. I do like Wade at safety more than CB, though.

I also think Scott should have started last year opposite of Allen. I liked what I saw from him.

What about the corner position? Franklin offered praise for incoming freshmen Jordan Miner and Trent Gordon. “I love the two corners that we got in Miner and Gordon, two guys with length and athleticism, having Gordon on campus, I've already been impressed with him,’’ Franklin said. “Same thing kind of D-tackle at linebacker, we've got some real needs there. So combination of a (Charlie) Katshir, (Micah) Parsons, (Jesse) Luketa and (Nick) Tarburton really help us there, guys that have a chance to come in and compete.”

Just completely absurd calling our secondary bad last year. It was one of the better secondaries in school history. Campbell and Haley were two of the best corners in the B1G, and were hosed in all B1G voting because of lazy work by the voters.

They played outstanding in all games last year except for 2, when our d-line suffered a major injury and couldn’t get to the QB. Lewarke and Barrett had all friggin day to throw the ball against Penn State, so what exactly is the expectation of the secondary in that scenario?

And Amani was easily the biggest liability of or top 3 corners last year. He was burned on the deep ball several times last year. He has great ball skills but lacks recovery speed, unlike Haley and Campbell.

I like our cornerback potential next year, but the jury is out if they will be as good as Haley/Campbell.

Just completely absurd calling our secondary bad last year. It was one of the better secondaries in school history. Campbell and Haley were two of the best corners in the B1G, and were hosed in all B1G voting because of lazy work by the voters.

They played outstanding in all games last year except for 2, when our d-line suffered a major injury and couldn’t get to the QB. Lewarke and Barrett had all friggin day to throw the ball against Penn State, so what exactly is the expectation of the secondary in that scenario?

And Amani was easily the biggest liability of or top 3 corners last year. He was burned on the deep ball several times last year. He has great ball skills but lacks recovery speed, unlike Haley and Campbell.

I like our cornerback potential next year, but the jury is out if they will be as good as Haley/Campbell.

Well, instead of thinking that Haley and Campbell were snubbed, it's possible they were not selected because those who were evaluating and voting on All-B1G selections saw what was there, two guys who weren't very good.

I won't disagree on Amani. I said I'm not sold on him. I think he's an upgrade because he at least has ball hawk skills. I'd rather see Castro-Fields opposite Reid.

How are players selected for the NFL Combine?
All 32 NFL teams are invited to provide input on draft-eligible players which is used by the Player Selection Committee to select each year’s participants. The Directors of both National and BLESTO scouting services, which combined represent 28 NFL teams, are joined by members of various NFL player personnel departments to form the committee. The participating NFL executives can rotate on a yearly basis, and remain anonymous. ALL eligible players are reviewed and voted on by the committee members. Each athlete receiving the necessary number of votes, by position, is then extended an invitation. While it is not a perfect science, the goal of the committee is to invite every player that will be drafted in the ensuing NFL Draft.

Well, instead of thinking that Haley and Campbell were snubbed, it's possible they were not selected because those who were evaluating and voting on All-B1G selections saw what was there, two guys who weren't very good.

I won't disagree on Amani. I said I'm not sold on him. I think he's an upgrade because he at least has ball hawk skills. I'd rather see Castro-Fields opposite Reid.

Or maybe the voters aren’t reviewing advanced metrics, because you have to pay for those services. During the regular season Haley had one of the lowest opposing passer ratings in the country when targeted (40.1).

He also gave up zero TD passes during the regular season.

But those stats don’t appear on the B1G website, do they?

I believe he said that Campbell may be a late 3rd round selection. That is what was being said by the NFL scouts that evaluated Campbell at the Senior Bowl practices, where Campbell had a great showing.... What was said in the PennLive article aligns very well with what was said by those that evaluated the Senior Bowl practices. Obviously, Campbell will have to continue to impress the scouts at the NFL Combine in order to earn a spot in the draft....

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article197061844.html

Christian Campbell, cornerback
Campbell didn’t play either, but his absence was expected.

The corner — who was reportedly dealing with a back strain during practice — announced on Twitter just hours before the game that he would sit out due to “risk issues.”

“I gave my all every single practice and couldn’t ask for a better experience,” Campbell said in a statement. “I’m very humble because of the position god has put me in. I thank (Phil Savage) and all the staff at the Senior Bowl for the opportunities.”

Despite the nagging injury, Campbell impressed all week. One reporter called him an “outright eraser” in coverage, while Optimum Scouting owner Eric Galko said Campbell could be a top-40 pick come April’s NFL draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJPSU
Seeing the angst and scholarly dissertations regarding the physical attributes or lack there of and positional intricacies ......if I were Franklin, I'd list Stevens as a DT, just to enjoy the scramble. LOL Good Lord, I don't know why PSU hires coaches.

One of those guys will always be remembered for two heroic plays, and I will always be grateful for those, but outside of those two plays he was a huge liability and was burned often.

Both Castro-Fields and Amani will be upgrades to what we had last year, although I'm not sold on Amani, either. He is still better, though. John Reid always has been a stud. I also hope that Wade is better at safety than he was at CB this past year. He too was beat often for big plays. I do like Wade at safety more than CB, though.

I also think Scott should have started last year opposite of Allen. I liked what I saw from him.

Sorry, but you can't justify calling our secondary players "very bad." That goes beyond hyperbole to pure stupidity.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Seeing the angst and scholarly dissertations regarding the physical attributes or lack there of and positional intricacies ......if I were Franklin, I'd list Stevens as a DT, just to enjoy the scramble. LOL Good Lord, I don't know why PSU hires coaches.

As a player you either make plays or you don't. You don't get more or less credit for a tackle or pass breakup if a player is bigger or smaller, longer or shorter, stronger or weaker. You just win more games if your players make more plays.... pretty simple.

well then go ahead, unless you meant "i do not" then don't. I had a couple laughs. I really liked "the ball hawk skills" that were coming to position and the "athletic freak"

Part of the family... till he ain't

Agree - it’s funny to go back and see what people said then. I’m proud of my February 2018 self. :).

Agree - it’s funny to go back and see what people said then. I’m proud of my February 2018 self. :).

I know I thought you would like your post! That's why the initial response through me a little bit. I liked reading mine as well.

There is another thread on this that I can't find. If I remember correctly there were some doozies in that one.

I know I thought you would like your post! That's why the initial response through me a little bit. I liked reading mine as well.

There is another thread on this that I can't find. If I remember correctly there were some doozies in that one.

My initial response was supposed to be literal - think it came off in a different way though.

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
Interesting....so Wade tweeted a a photo of his empty locker and said something "Not my choice".

Sorry if already discussed...didn't want to read through 7 pages of posts.

Correct, big hitter, good support with run. Very good special teams player, high energy. Stiff hips, not that fast, not quick twitched, burnable in coverage. Rah rah guy, leader.

Wish I was wrong here on Nick Scott. LOL

Interesting....so Wade tweeted a a photo of his empty locker and said something "Not my choice".

Feels like OBE - maybe stuff at home and not necessarily with CJF or the football team.

Reactions: Obliviax

Starting to appear like Wade has a bit of Antonio Brown in him.

If true, kudos to Franklin & Co. for making difficult, but correct, decisions.

If true, kudos to Franklin & Co. for making difficult, but correct, decisions.

whoa whoa whoa .... difficult and tough decisions... and CORRECT

maybe this was in another thread but lets check the possibilities
1. Lamont is not cutting it grades wise and was told shape up or ship out. He didn't like that and bails.
2. Lamont did something to push him further down and was told he had to work his way back. He didn't like that. Bails
3. Lamont did something so wrong he was kicked off.

4. Lamont did nothing wrong, and was processed by the staff because he isn't living up to the billing.

5. Lamont has an issue relating to nothing regarding playing time, grades, behavior or anything and another issue is forcing him out that has nothing to do with the staff football or grades.

(i am sure there are a few more possibilities but I think the main ones are covered)

5 is very unfortunate for the student athlete

1-2-3 fine what ever happened,

4 is absolutely wrong, Penn State should not be forcing any player out based on skills and PT. Do better in your evals. Don't talk a good game and then **** with a kids life. This isn't the damn SEC.

So it's a bold statement with out knowing facts to saying correct decisions.

Again if this was discussed and the facts are public then forget what I said. I have not seen them.

But if they aren't Karen's filter is blocked and she needs you to lick her carpet when your done!

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
whoa whoa whoa .... difficult and tough decisions... and CORRECT

maybe this was in another thread but lets check the possibilities
1. Lamont is not cutting it grades wise and was told shape up or ship out. He didn't like that and bails.
2. Lamont did something to push him further down and was told he had to work his way back. He didn't like that. Bails
3. Lamont did something so wrong he was kicked off.

4. Lamont did nothing wrong, and was processed by the staff because he isn't living up to the billing.

5. Lamont has an issue relating to nothing regarding playing time, grades, behavior or anything and another issue is forcing him out that has nothing to do with the staff football or grades.

(i am sure there are a few more possibilities but I think the main ones are covered)

5 is very unfortunate for the student athlete

1-2-3 fine what ever happened,

4 is absolutely wrong, Penn State should not be forcing any player out based on skills and PT. Do better in your evals. Don't talk a good game and then **** with a kids life. This isn't the damn SEC.

So it's a bold statement with out knowing facts to saying correct decisions.

Again if this was discussed and the facts are public then forget what I said. I have not seen them.

But if they aren't Karen's filter is blocked and she needs you to lick her carpet when your done!
Another possibility is that Narduzzi contacted him "under the table" and told him he will start for sure, be the pitt defensive captain, and get a key chain.

Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT