ADVERTISEMENT

Lamont Wade now listed as a Safety; Parsons will be #11

Scott played ahead of Taylor and Monroe last year. Why do you think that happened? Not sure why you are singling out Scott.

Because he is the best of what is left. His form tackle on Jason Cabinda in the Iowa game classic. Good for him, he brings his own juice for Special teams and running out of the tunnel. He isn't an every down safety right now. Maybe he gets there in the off season. But that is far from certain. Sorry but people are talking like the back end is going to be lock down city? Show your evidence.

Here is the thing about Apke and Allen that gets overlooked:

Our ability to stop the run with just our front 7 was not stout.

While they didn't play in the box every snap, their first reaction (based on coaching) was to assist in stopping the run and cover second. The fact that we didn't have MORE big plays given up (judging them solely in our losses vs the entire schedule is flawed) all year with the way they were used is indicative of their skill.

With better talent in the front 7, our secondary was perfectly fine for our run. However, I have to believe with improved talent our defense could border on reaching a higher level of dominance. They are close.

Because he is the best of what is left. His form tackle on Jason Cabinda in the Iowa game classic. Good for him, he brings his own juice for Special teams and running out of the tunnel. He isn't an every down safety right now. Maybe he gets there in the off season. But that is far from certain. Sorry but people are talking like the back end is going to be lock down city? Show your evidence.

The point was you singled out Scott for criticism but Scott beat out Monroe and Taylor last year for playing time . Since we play 2 safeties Wade’s move likely has little to do with Scott and more to do with overall depth and the desire to get Wade on the field somewhere.

Reactions: Judge Smails
The point was you singled out Scott for criticism but Scott beat out Monroe and Taylor last year for playing time . Since we play 2 safeties Wade’s move likely has little to do with Scott and more to do with overall depth and the desire to get Wade on the field somewhere.

So you admit our safety position isn't that good. Glad we cleared that up.

Last edited:
Earl Thomas is the best safety of the generation and he’s barely 5’10”. Another couple inches on Wade would be nice, but it’d be more of a concern if he was manning up other teams’ number one receivers on the outside. Playing center field and occasionally manning up on slot guys like Apke did seems like the best usage of him IMO.

Troy Polamalu was also 5-10....

Reactions: Judge Smails
I thought prototypical safeties were a little taller than Wade. I'm thinking 5'11" minimum. Why do people think this is such a good match? I thought Wade had the kind of athleticism that was a match for cornerback. I could see why he would be moved to safety for lack of having safeties, but a better match than cornerback? Guess I don't understand.

I’m with you. Not sure Wade is built for safety. He’ll be undersized and limit in run support.

I’m with you. Not sure Wade is built for safety. He’ll be undersized and limit in run support.

Wade is a hitter. Thick chested, great athlete, and a thumper. Not sure what you were watching last year, and you must not have watched him during his phenomenal high school career....

Ed Reed says hello too.
In his last 2 years at the "U", Reed had 17 interceptions.

Those 2000 and 2001 Miami teams were amazing. Reed was not real big, but generally listed at 5'11"; I think 5'9" would be generous for Wade. But he is a player and I think free safety could be his best spot. No worries about hitting.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Our four best players returning in the secondary are all CBs. Something had to give. Think it is that simple. This staff isn't going to let talent sit on the bench.

They rotated 4 corners this year often not including Wade in the slot. They used Campbell, Haley, Armani, and TCF quite often.

If Nick Scott was a quality safety they wouldn't move wade there.

Correct, big hitter, good support with run. Very good special teams player, high energy. Stiff hips, not that fast, not quick twitched, burnable in coverage. Rah rah guy, leader.

Those 2000 and 2001 Miami teams were amazing. Reed was not real big, but generally listed at 5'11"; I think 5'9" would be generous for Wade. But he is a player and I think free safety could be his best spot. No worries about hitting.

Well like they always say... that 2 inches is the difference between oooo and AAGGHHH!!

So is it safe to conclude that Franklin has ruined Wade's career by listing him as a safety in the spring of his freshman year?

:eek:

Reactions: LionJim
Wade is a hitter. Thick chested, great athlete, and a thumper. Not sure what you were watching last year, and you must not have watched him during his phenomenal high school career....

I was watching a 6’-2” safety play run support. Big difference physically between Allen and Wade. Also a big difference between playing run support as a safety and a CB. You’re asking Wade to do a lot. Bob Sanders is a fair comparison. But Bob Saunders couldn’t physically hold up at safety. He was often injured. Sometimes you need to protect a player from himself.

Don't sleep on Jabari Butler

20 Jabari Butler CB SR/JR 5-11/181 Potomac, Md./Bishop Gorman (Nev.)

Ran a 4.3 40 last winter. I think he might have been a factor in allowing Wade to move to safety.

Butler transferred into the program this [2017] offseason after spending two years at FCS Abilene Christian in Texas, but he’s no stranger to competing on a big stage. Butler played his high school ball at powerhouse Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas, where he was teammates with Randall Cunningham, Jr. and Snoop Dogg’s son Cordell Broadus.

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Butler can flat out fly, both on the turf and the track. Dwight Galt said he’s one of five Nittany Lions on the roster to run in the 4.3s during post-spring break testing, joining Saquon Barkley, Grant Haley, Saeed Blacknall, and DeAndre Thompkins. Butler, who hails from Potomac, Md., was also an accomplished sprinter at Gorman, posting a career-best 10.85 in the 100-meter dash.

Butler held a pair of Division I offers from Rice and Wyoming coming out of high school, but settled on Abilene Christian, where he earned Southland Conference Freshman of the Year in 2015 thanks to a league-high six interceptions.

Thanks for posting the link, Greg.

Am I reading this right? The only significant players with Senior eligibility are Torrence Brown, Koa Farmer, Oruwayire, Nick Scott, Trace, and Tompkins. Everyone else returns in 2019 with many more returning in 2020. If JF continues to recruit at a high level we could be loaded with so much talent that we could sponsor two teams in the Big 10 -- Penn State 1 and Penn State 2!!! The future is very bright.

Am I reading this right? The only significant players with Senior eligibility are Torrence Brown, Koa Farmer, Oruwayire, Nick Scott, Trace, and Tompkins. Everyone else returns in 2019 with many more returning in 2020. If JF continues to recruit at a high level we could be loaded with so much talent that we could sponsor two teams in the Big 10 -- Penn State 1 and Penn State 2!!! The future is very bright.

There will be many early entries to the draft. When you recruit at a high level, you will begin to see a lot of 3 and done players

Just my opinion, but I think that because we play so much nickle (close to 50%?), and Wade will be the nickle back, the move to Safety allows him to be on the field for more plays. Getting the best athletes on the field for the majority of plays is always a great idea.

At Safety, in running situations or on basic 1st and 2nd downs, he will need to play strong in run support, of course, but he is on the field primarily to add athleticism to the pass coverage schemes and effectiveness. If we think we can control the run game with the front 7 for the most part, we'll be in nickle a lot. Wade would be on the field in those situations anyway.... 2nd and long, 3rd and medium to long, etc. With him there on 1st down and 2nd and short, e.g., we've probably added to the overall athleticism on D on every down.

I'll trust what the coaches decide to do with the huge amount of talent they have at their disposal. Position changes are a way of life in college ball; PSU has a long history of those changes working out for the best.

Reactions: hereforthebeer
spot on...our S have been lacking in INT's for several years. If Wade can support the run, at his size, he'll be an awesome S. He has the field presence and game understanding.

The other thing about Wade people are discounting is that he was dominant in camps - against the best of the best. I threw the Fiesta Bowl on last night while folding clothes - very excited for this year!

ESPN followed that Miami Team. I forget the name of the show. But, FSU was taking it to em in the first half. They show Reed sitting on a training table taking a shot so he can play the 2nd half. A big, dumb lineman comes in. Says to Reed; "What's up dog?" Reed went f'n off on him!! My shoulders killing me, I'm taking a shot just so I can play. What's up? He puts the pads on addresses the team about what he's doing to play the 2nd half and tells em where going out
there and win this bleepin game. Really impressive passion for the game if you've ever seen the clip.

Troy Polamalu was also 5-10....
Nothing like setting manageable expectations... LOL

I know that you weren’t saying that he’s the next Troy Polamalu
The other thing about Wade people are discounting is that he was dominant in camps - against the best of the best. I threw the Fiesta Bowl on last night while folding clothes - very excited for this year!
folding clothes makes you excited for 2018?

I was watching a 6’-2” safety play run support. Big difference physically between Allen and Wade. Also a big difference between playing run support as a safety and a CB. You’re asking Wade to do a lot. Bob Sanders is a fair comparison. But Bob Saunders couldn’t physically hold up at safety. He was often injured. Sometimes you need to protect a player from himself.

Not sure a comparison with Allen is valid. Allen was basically a LB that was playing Safety. No Safety on the PSU roster, last year or for this coming year, can compare physically with Allen. CJF looks to be going to Safety's that are better in pass protection, which will likely create more INT's, which Allen did not. But Wade does compare favorable with the other Safety's on the PSU roster from a physical perspective. The largest Safety, Petrishen, was the one that was injured the most...... Wade is thicker and more muscular than any of the other Safety's, except for possibly Monroe..... and I expect Wade to settle in at around 200 lbs for his PSU career, as he is only 19 years old. Not asking Wade to do anything that the other Safety's are not being asked to do. Your post implies that a 5'9" 196 lb player is more likely to be injured than a 5'11" 199 lb N.Scott, a 6' 197 lb G. Taylor, or a 5'11" 200 J.Sutherland, and that is just not the case.

16 John Petrishen S SR/JR 6-0/211 Lower Burrell, Pa./Pittsburgh CC
35 Justin Neff S SO/FR 6-1/187 Mill Hall, Pa./Central Mountain
4 Nick Scott S SR/SR 5-11/199 Fairfax, Va./Fairfax
38 Lamont Wade S SO/FR 5-9/196 Clairton, Pa./Clairton
17 Garrett Taylor S SR/JR 6-0/197 Richmond, Va./Saint Christopher's
37 Drew Hartlaub S SO/FR 5-11/180 Hanover, Pa./South Western
2 Isaiah Humphries S FR/FR 6-0/190 Rowlett, Texas/Sachse
26 Jonathan Sutherland S SO/FR 5-11/200 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada/Epis. (Va.)
23 Ayron Monroe S SR/JR 5-11/207 Largo, Md./Saint Johns College H.S.

Last edited:

What you say is very true. The only caveot is that with all the talent CJF is assembling, going forward we will very likely deal with more frequent player turnover due to early entry to the NFL. For example, if Juwan Johnson has a big year he may choose to play on Sundays in 2019.....

Last edited:
Nothing like setting manageable expectations... LOL

I know that you weren’t saying that he’s the next Troy Polamalu

folding clothes makes you excited for 2018?

If you can read, I only said Troy was 5-10. He played safety at that height and will be in the HOF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT