ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Gaga's mom as a WVU cheerleader:

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
Note the "Beat Penn State" button.
2ymul3l.jpg

Speaking of WVU cheerleaders. True Story. When I was a freshman at PSU in 1982 my good buddy from highschools girl friend calls me at PSU, she is going to school at WVU and she wanted a place to stay could she stay in my dorm? She also was going to bring her friend Sherry a former cheerleader at WVU could she also stay in my room? I said of course.

So we went to a couple of parties, on Saturday went to tailgates and then the game....PSU beat WVU. The girls decided to leave after the game and we were back in my dorm room and Sherry was talking about how she missed not cheering and she missed not competing in gymnastics. She then told me to keep an eye out for her sister who was likely to go to the Olympics.....Mary Lou. I figured that she was probably telling a story, but her sister turned out to be Mary Lou Retton,. So I met Sherry Retton before I ever heard of Mary Lou Retton. Now you know the rest of the story.

I can tell that is authentic pic taken for just for the WVU alumni; they like them without teeth.

Reactions: njlion
Speaking of WVU cheerleaders. True Story. When I was a freshman at PSU in 1982 my good buddy from highschools girl friend calls me at PSU, she is going to school at WVU and she wanted a place to stay could she stay in my dorm? She also was going to bring her friend Sherry a former cheerleader at WVU could she also stay in my room? I said of course.

So we went to a couple of parties, on Saturday went to tailgates and then the game....PSU beat WVU. The girls decided to leave after the game and we were back in my dorm room and Sherry was talking about how she missed not cheering and she missed not competing in gymnastics. She then told me to keep an eye out for her sister who was likely to go to the Olympics.....Mary Lou. I figured that she was probably telling a story, but her sister turned out to be Mary Lou Retton,. So I met Sherry Retton before I ever heard of Mary Lou Retton. Now you know the rest of the story.

Man I thought that story was going in a different direction.....

I am thinking 1974 or so.

Perhaps a few years before my time. I can tell you this, the WVU cheerleaders were pretty darn hot. Most went to WVU to get out of the sticks and were looking for a ride, back in the day. They could drink like camels, too.

I never felt I was in their league, but it was fun watching the show. I recall one Halloween/PSU football game when it seemed like every one of their cheerleaders showed up for a party, drunk, in cat outfits. Good times.

Perhaps a few years before my time. I can tell you this, the WVU cheerleaders were pretty darn hot. Most went to WVU to get out of the sticks and were looking for a ride, back in the day. They could drink like camels, too.

I never felt I was in their league, but it was fun watching the show. I recall one Halloween/PSU football game when it seemed like every one of their cheerleaders showed up for a party, drunk, in cat outfits. Good times.
I've seen several WVU cheerleaders with humps, so I'm sure the camel reference is accurate.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
And included "I attend a large university in Central Pennsylvania....."
Does anyone remember that letter to Penthouse Forum about a guy having twins on the racketball court? That was written mostly by one of my floor mates, with help from myself and a couple of other guys. We were shocked/thrilled when they published it.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Does anyone remember that letter to Penthouse Forum about a guy having twins on the racketball court? That was written mostly by one of my floor mates, with help from myself and a couple of other guys. We were shocked/thrilled when they published it.

I don't remember that one but I do remember the one from the guy that was into really big women that had a line that said something like "As she drove up I could see the truck she was driving was tilting to one side and it was then I knew she was the one for me."

Reactions: njlion and LionJim
I remember the one about the guy who "wrecked" a pizza. I think of it occasionally when 9 National Championships delivers my dinner! :cool:

Reactions: EPC FAN
I can tell that is authentic pic taken for just for the WVU alumni; they like them without teeth.
Thats why you have to stew the squirrel or possum for several hours so the meat falls off the bone.

Reactions: mtnlion

Speaking of Mary Lou Retton...........A guy I work with got his first job out of college programming for the state of WV. Turns out that "Mary Lou" was being issued a custom license plate for a new Corvette sometime after the Olympics and it also turned out that the WV license plate database at the time could not handle the length of the license plate "number" for her custom plate. Needless to say, she got her license plate and my programmer friend got a story to tell.

I've enjoyed this thread--thanks, Dem, for starting it.

The pic of Lady Gaga's mom made me think of (old) Mountaineer Field which I see saw its last game in 1979. How many of you attended a game there? According to this article it was rather, uh, colorful:

http://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2009/11/10/30-years-ago-old-mountaineer-field-saw-its-last-game

Note the Matt Millen and Bruce Clark reference within.

I remember seeing this stadium during a visit to WVU, c. 1983. By then it looked beyond beat. When a group of us went to the PSU game in Morgantown in 1986 we stopped at the stadium and even got onto the field. Workers were literally rolling up the artificial turf in preparation for the stadium's demolition which I see took place the following year. A friend's request for a roll of the turf was denied.

I went to at least one PSU-WVU game at old Mountaineer Field and it was classic. I have seen nicer facilities at some high schools and Old Mountaineer Field could not have compared to any of the palaces in Texas where they play HS football.

Literally, there was barely room for the football field within the structural confines of the stadium. It was down along the river with the open end of the U shaped structure facing the Monongahela. I had a coworker who was a Pitt graduate who once went to the Pitt-WVU game by Gateway Clipper boat from Pittsburgh, through all the locks and pulled up to a landing right beside the field.

Anyway, the game that I went to WVU jumped on the Lions early and led 14 - 0. A blocked punt led to a PSU TD and after that, the kids just adjusted to the environment and put a hurting on the Mounties.

I also went to a Pitt-WVU game and a girl friend got the tickets from her boss who was a big WVU supporter. sat on the 40, about 15 rows up. Felt like I could touch the players. Anyway, they were playing Pitt and they simply loath anything about Pitt. Watching the warmups, Pitt warms up right in front of the students and they are throwing garbage and debris on them the whole time. The WVU band's pregame is very boisterous and the crowd gets even more revved up. Then the game started and Pitt takes them to the woodshed. It was not pretty, but their fans never let up.

I heard this next story on the radio here in Pittsburgh ... it was the final game in Old Mountaineer Field and Pitt was the opponent. They let in about 10% more than capacity for the occasion and the extra folks were standing around the field. Pitt is getting ready to punt from very deep in their end of the field and the center, before he crouches over the ball, turns around and spots his punter. Everything seems fine so he goes over the ball and looks back to see the punter before snapping and the punter is gone ... fans grabbed the guy and pulled him into the maelstrom.

Reactions: Beech Cricker
I remember one game where the Mounties were putting a hurting on Penn State. Penn State scored 3 times in about 2 minutes to take the game and unhinged WVU.

I don't even have my beer goggles on but doesn't look all that bad at least in that pic.
Looks a little like Nasim Padrat from SNL.

Anyway, the game that I went to WVU jumped on the Lions early and led 14 - 0. A blocked punt led to a PSU TD and after that, the kids just adjusted to the environment and put a hurting on the Mounties.

I was at that game too. Sat in WVU student section with PSU sweater and took a lot of incoming when they jumped ahead by two TDs. I just smiled and said 'enjoy it while you can.' Suhey took the punt return for TD. Petercuskie got a pic to the 20 to set up another TD. They fumbled a KO return. Was 28-14 by half. Final was 42-14 and a dang quiet stadium.

One "constant" that I remember from going to two games in Morgantown. The Pennsylvania State Police set up speed traps on I79 southbound, from just south of Waynesburg to the next exit. More troopers than one could imagine pulling people over right and left.

Why not? With the game over the state line, they had little/no responsibility other than capitalizing on the poor suckers driving to the game.

Wonder if they still do that?

Reactions: bison13
DIbbs, you are right on, got caught in one of those years ago with my dad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT