ADVERTISEMENT

Kia vs Hyundai

JoeFi

Gold Member
Jul 13, 2001
I am considering Kia vs Hyundai and other mid sized SUVs.
I understand Kia and Hyundai don’t offer all same platforms.
Is one brand the upscale over other such as Buick over Chevrolet?
Thanks for your input.

Kia is the big brother. I have a sorento sxl and I love it. I picked it over a Mercedes glc300.
It has all the extras. Some I don't know what they do. This is my third one. Good in the snow too.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I just purchased a Kia Sorrento SX SUV. It has everthing that the Audi Q5 has ( which we also looked at ) for close to 16k less. We also looked at the Hyndai Santa Fe . That turned out to be a non starter for us because it did not have power folding morrors even on the most expensive trim which for us is a necessity due to the design of our garage.

The Kia is the best SUV that we have ever owned and we have previously owned a Lexus SUV, 2 BMW SUVs and an Audi SUV

I think Hyundai’s top end is more luxurious than Kia but Kia is better with the mid level vehicles.

That said I think Kia just came out with a top end SUV.

Thanks for the replies. I note you said the Kia has power folding mirrors.
This is major point for me with my wife entering and exiting our garage.

Considering KIA stole top end talent from VW and BMW, their design and features have come more in-line with those vehicles. Hyundai and KIA have shared agreements and own stock in one another's companies, so I would expect that vehicles to become more integrated.

I think Hyundai’s top end is more luxurious than Kia but Kia is better with the mid level vehicles.

I agree... Kia is definitely not the “ big brother” of the two...

Hyundai outsells Kia 2:1... of the two, H seems to be the trademark with more-premium aspirations, afterall - it was Hyundai that gobbled up Kia about 15yrs ago ... not that Kia is the Harbor Frieght of the two, they’re pretty decent... Kia Stinger is definitely intriguing, even though they’re selling like used tampons

I know that the brands are closer than some might suspect, as the recent engine software recall affects 2011-2018 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe/Santa Fe Sports... likewise Kia Optima, Sorento, and Sportage of the same vintage.

Last edited:

Hyundai outsells Kia 2:1... of the two, H seems to be the trademark with more-premium aspirations, afterall - it was Hyundai that gobbled up Kia about 15yrs ago ... not that Kia is the Harbor Frieght of the two, they’re pretty decent... Kia Stinger is definitely intriguing, even though they’re selling like used tampons

I know that the brands are closer than some might suspect, as the recent engine software recall affects 2011-2018 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe/Santa Fe Sports... likewise Kia Optima, Sorento, and Sportage of the same vintage.

The new Hyundai Santa Fe is interesting to me. Although I have to get over “sticker shock.
By the time I equip it as I like it tops 40k with AWD, leather, heated seats, nav. Etc.

Thanks for your input.

If you are considering Hyundai, I will tell you that their stop-start engine management makes for a dreadful driving experience ... drove my wife’s brother-in-law’s new Santa Fe a couple times and it convinced me to never consider a vehicle where this “feature” could not be permanently disabled/bypassed

Reactions: NedFromYork
The new Hyundai Santa Fe is interesting to me. Although I have to get over “sticker shock.
By the time I equip it as I like it tops 40k with AWD, leather, heated seats, nav. Etc.

Well, what do you expect when you’re shopping in the hottest retail segment there is? That’s among many reasons I would not bother with a crossover when I was in the market recently... overpriced... all of them...

two months ago I bought my wife a brand new fully loaded Golf Sportwagen for $21k (sticker = $29k) mostly because nobody else but me and about 20 other kooks wanted one.... drives wayyyyyyyy better than a CRV or a RAV4, with the same utility... that being said, the new VW Tiguan (which shares the same, excellent MQB platform) is selling very well for VW and are pretty reasonable as far as SUV/Crossovers go these days, with a great warranty... Base models start at $25k... fully loaded Tiguan SELs are around $32k...

I just can't get myself to think positively about Kia. It's not the product, but the name. To me KIA means Killed In Action and I feel that they doubled down by calling one of their cars Soul.

Thanks for your input.

Don’t.

It’s syphilis or gonorrhea.

Reactions: JoeFi

The 2 brands share a tremendous amount of parts/features. Many of the same platforms and parts are in use, but not quite to the level
of 80’s GM badge engineering.

I personally recommend Mazda. Tremendously value for the price. Lots of tech, and one of the best driving experiences in the industry.

The 2 brands share a tremendous amount of parts/features. Many of the same platforms and parts are in use, but not quite to the level
of 80’s GM badge engineering.

I personally recommend Mazda. Tremendously value for the price. Lots of tech, and one of the best driving experiences in the industry.

I agree, I’m a Mazda guy... over the years i have put at least five people who were shopping CRV/Rav4 into Cx-5’s (hell, I believe one is on this board) and not one regretted it... i did not like the last (recently discontinued/replaced) Mazda3, however... even the hatchback .... and that’s coming from a longroof guy... Mazda will be unveiling some sort of new small crossover with the holy grail SkyActiv-X engine in the coming weeks...

Reactions: diontechristmas
Had a Santa Fe for a few years and currently have a Kia Sorento LX AWD. It has 220,000 miles, is driven 2 miles on dirt/gravel roads every day to get to a paved road for 7 years and I've never had a problem...other than having to get new tires every year.

Had both a Hyundai Entourage Limited (minivan) and Veracruz AWD (SUV) Limited -- both were terrific vehicles. Very well-equipped, quiet, and comfortable. If I had to find a fault, they were both a mile or so less on MPG than their higher end competitors, but that was more than made up in the lower purchase price.

I agree, I’m a Mazda guy... over the years i have put at least five people who were shopping CRV/Rav4 into Cx-5’s (hell, I believe one is on this board) and not one regretted it... i did not like the last (recently discontinued/replaced) Mazda3, however... even the hatchback .... and that’s coming from a longroof guy... Mazda will be unveiling some sort of new small crossover with the holy grail SkyActiv-X engine in the coming weeks...

What did you not like about the Mazda3? I own two -- the 2013 and 2014, both Grand Touring hatchbacks but the 14 is the S-version with the stronger engine. So I've got the last year and the first year after the redesign. I like both cars. Not a problem with either so far. The S gets almost as much gas mileage with the newer engine while delivering a lot more power. Both are fun to drive, but the 14 handles a little better with the firmer ride.

I don't understand the SUV craze, even in states where there is no snow. Most aren't driving off-road, and most aren't buying SUVs for all-wheel drive. When I ask why one would take such a hit on fuel economy and handling to gain a little more volume (most of which isn't useable) the explanations seem to come down to ease of entry/exit. It seems Americans have become incredibly overweight and lazy -- to the point of spending huge sums over the life of their vehicles so they don't have to bend over.

What did you not like about the Mazda3? I own two -- the 2013 and 2014, both Grand Touring hatchbacks but the 14 is the S-version with the stronger engine. So I've got the last year and the first year after the redesign. I like both cars. Not a problem with either so far. The S gets almost as much gas mileage with the newer engine while delivering a lot more power. Both are fun to drive, but the 14 handles a little better with the firmer ride.

I don't understand the SUV craze, even in states where there is no snow. Most aren't driving off-road, and most aren't buying SUVs for all-wheel drive. When I ask why one would take such a hit on fuel economy and handling to gain a little more volume (most of which isn't useable) the explanations seem to come down to ease of entry/exit. It seems Americans have become incredibly overweight and lazy -- to the point of spending huge sums over the life of their vehicles so they don't have to bend over.

Visibilty was dreadful, but I get it - Mazda wanted it to be swoopy and coupe-like... just wasn’t what we were looking for as form was trumping function on the 3... other than that there’s not much not to like... aesthetically, the previous generation was a nicer look ... the new one looks real nice... wish they’d make a proper wagon for the twenty of us that want the utility

Well, what do you expect when you’re shopping in the hottest retail segment there is? That’s among many reasons I would not bother with a crossover when I was in the market recently... overpriced... all of them...

two months ago I bought my wife a brand new fully loaded Golf Sportwagen for $21k (sticker = $29k) mostly because nobody else but me and about 20 other kooks wanted one.... drives wayyyyyyyy better than a CRV or a RAV4, with the same utility... that being said, the new VW Tiguan (which shares the same, excellent MQB platform) is selling very well for VW and are pretty reasonable as far as SUV/Crossovers go these days, with a great warranty... Base models start at $25k... fully loaded Tiguan SELs are around $32k...
I didn't want to join the SUV brigade and am my second VW Sportswagen. Second was free with money back after traded in the dirty diesel. Miss the torque of the diesel. Also, one of the few cars you can get fully loaded with a stick.

My brother eventually got rid of his Outback and bought a Sportswagen too.

Reactions: massimoManca II

For me the choice to go to an SUV is more about safety than anything. Having been rear-ended a few years ago (totaling my Impala by a douche answering his phone) I feel compelled to get the safest, largest vehicle I can afford anymore. For weeks after the crash, and even to this day, I'm pretty neurotic about speeding vehicles coming up behind me. Would love to be in a sedan or sportswagon but right now I just want to be in clear sight on the road.

For me the choice to go to an SUV is more about safety than anything. Having been rear-ended a few years ago (totaling my Impala by a douche answering his phone) I feel compelled to get the safest, largest vehicle I can afford anymore. For weeks after the crash, and even to this day, I'm pretty neurotic about speeding vehicles coming up behind me. Would love to be in a sedan or sportswagon but right now I just want to be in clear sight on the road.

Thanks once again for the replies. I am interested in Mazda as suggested above based on reviews.
However it seems one CX SUV model is to small, similar in size to the RAV4 or Nissan Rouge, the other CX-9 too large. ( wife won’t drive it).
Women, can’t live with them, cant live without them

Thanks once again for the replies. I am interested in Mazda as suggested above based on reviews.
However it seems one CX SUV model is to small, similar in size to the RAV4 or Nissan Rouge, the other CX-9 too large. ( wife won’t drive it).
Women, can’t live with them, cant live without them
I haven’t been through every post in this thread....but what about a Highlander?

Don’t.

I gotta agree with this. You dont want either. The people I know that have a hyundia regret ever buying one. Total garbage and falling apart. Literally. I know someone whose visors have broken, door handles continuously fall off, transmission is messed up, AC broke 3 times and was a SOB to get fixed under warranty plus many other issues.

Don’t.

I gotta agree with this. You dont want either. The people I know that have a hyundia regret ever buying one. Total garbage and falling apart. Literally. I know someone whose visors have broken, door handles continuously fall off, transmission is messed up, AC broke 3 times and was a SOB to get fixed under warranty plus many other issues.

Sounds like the Chrysler van I owned in early 90’s. UGH

There was another thread like this where I gave details about my Hyundai experience. It was met with Hyundai fan boys who loved to tout the latest reliability and quality ratings.

I will never consider a Hyundai or Kia and don’t really give a shit how cheap they are or what the latest ratings say. Sure, they’ve gotten better since the early 00s, which isn’t saying much. I know many people who have both brands—some are happy, many are not.

Wake me up when the resale values come close to matching Toyota and Honda.

I’d believe this were it 1994

Fact is, the Korean brands, not unlike the domestics, have gotten the sh!t together pretty well over the past 20yrs ... save Mitsubishi and Fiat, there really aren’t any real disasters / must-avoid choices lurking out there (except models with stop-start, based on my limited exposure to the feature)

Reactions: Tri-Power65
We had a nightmare lemon experience with Kia on a 2013 Sorento. The issue was an extreme safety issue where they attempted a few fixes (replaced transmission, replaced computer) then pretty much told us tough luck. The vehicle was towed to them twice, driven in to them twice, and there were multiple times when we were stuck in the middle of the road with a vehicle that more closely resembled a bucking bronco. It was mentally exhausting and frustrating and their treatment of us turned worse when we officially filed a lemon law claim. We never completed the process since the car was totalled shortly after. My wife's injuries and head impact directly correlated with the poor small front overlap rating (she hit exactly where the crash test dummy did in the IIHS rating video), but that was my fault for poor research.

Fast forward 5 years, and while I like what they currently offer for the price, my wife will divorce me before I'm allowed to step foot back in a Kia dealership.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I've heard people scoff at Kia and Hyundai brands, but I'm here to tell you something. Brands that people praised have done me wrong for decades. VW. German engineering. Had to replace an engine on an EOS and over $2000 repairs on other major parts. Land Rover. Britain's best SUV. POS. Paid thousands for miscellaneous repairs over the years. One brand that has done me right...Jeep. Commander has 233k miles. No major issues. Rubicon 70k miles. It's a beast. 2018 Renegade. Best small SUV on the market.

If this is your overriding concern you might as well buy a heavy duty pickup truck with an extra passenger row. I get it though, because the same thing happened to us while pulling up to a red light. Wrecked a really good station wagon. An old lady was on her phone and probably forgot that there was a red light. In these cases the height of your vehicle for visibility really doesn't matter. You want length to provide a buffer for the passengers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT