ADVERTISEMENT

Kia vs Hyundai

Wife still drives a 2010 Hyundai Veracruz now with 170000 miles.. No major problems thus far. Just replaced our first alternator. Lots of light replacements and one door handle. She loves the car and perfect size for her even though it can sit 7. Definitely worth the price thus far.

Reactions: YeOldeCup
I am considering Kia vs Hyundai and other mid sized SUVs.
I understand Kia and Hyundai don’t offer all same platforms.
Is one brand the upscale over other such as Buick over Chevrolet?
Thanks for your input.

Look at Toyota, I have a Highlander (Limited) and friend has Rav4. Both are happy with our vehicles.

Since were talking SUV's.....

I have a 2008 MDX with 187K that I've been planning to turn over to my son. He just turned 16. I primarily drive it when the weather is bad and to haul our bikes around on a hitch mounted carrier. It's also the grocery getter. The SH -AWD system warning indicator periodically turns on now and when it does the vehicle goes into FWD mode only. I'm having it checked out on Monday. In the event I get bad news, I've been thinking about getting something else and have scouted out 3 very different SUV's as possibilities:

A 2014 BMW X1 (very small. barely an SUV but good gas mileage. Not sure how good it would be as a bike hauler )

A 2012 Land Rover LR2 ( good off roader which would be seldom used, terrible gas mileage, would be good for hauling the bikes)

A 2013 Audi Q5. Somewhere in between the other two.

All 3 vehicles have low miles and can be had for $15K +/-.

Hoping that the MDX can keep on rolling for a few years, but it has been fun looking at other options.

Since were talking SUV's.....

I have a 2008 MDX with 187K that I've been planning to turn over to my son. He just turned 16. I primarily drive it when the weather is bad and to haul our bikes around on a hitch mounted carrier. It's also the grocery getter. The SH -AWD system warning indicator periodically turns on now and when it does the vehicle goes into FWD mode only. I'm having it checked out on Monday. In the event I get bad news, I've been thinking about getting something else and have scouted out 3 very different SUV's as possibilities:

A 2014 BMW X1 (very small. barely an SUV but good gas mileage. Not sure how good it would be as a bike hauler )

A 2012 Land Rover LR2 ( good off roader which would be seldom used, terrible gas mileage, would be good for hauling the bikes)

A 2013 Audi Q5. Somewhere in between the other two.

All 3 vehicles have low miles and can be had for $15K +/-.

Hoping that the MDX can keep on rolling for a few years, but it has been fun looking at other options.

I’d run like hell from each of those three options, unless they came with a stout CPO-like warranty... which they won’t... and you’d be throwing thousands and thousands more at them to get one

Look at Toyota, I have a Highlander (Limited) and friend has Rav4. Both are happy with our vehicles.

Agree with this. Wife and I were in the market in 2016 for a new car, and we narrowed it down to the highlander and the sorrento. We went with the highlander limited. Don't regret it at all. From the research we did, Toyotas held their value better and we liked the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I bought my wife a 2017 Kia Optima based on Consumer Reports and more bang for your buck. Coming up on 2 years years and no issues.

Don’t look too long, though... that new RAV4 is beyond hideous...

Toyota designers have apparently been doing acid because their sheetmetal is downright fuggly...

Have had an '84 4WD Ford Bronco (forgettable), '08 Hyundai Veracruz Limited, 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited, and now driving a 2016 Pilot EX-L. The Highlander remains the class of the group and my college senior daughter won't part with it. Veracruz was a great bang for the buck. I like the Pilot (nice interior capacity and great mileage for the class), but the electronics are absolutely abysmal. On my second "head unit," which is possessed (turns off/on on its own, changes volume, changes screens) and the Adaptive Cruise Control is the worst I've ever experienced -- loses 2-6 MPH on inclines (very dangerous on highways, where I no longer use it in traffic) and brakes abruptly when approaching traffic. I installed a JC Whitney cruise control on a pickup in 1985 that was superior to it.

Have had an '84 4WD Ford Bronco (forgettable), '08 Hyundai Veracruz Limited, 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited, and now driving a 2016 Pilot EX-L. The Highlander remains the class of the group and my college senior daughter won't part with it. Veracruz was a great bang for the buck. I like the Pilot (nice interior capacity and great mileage for the class), but the electronics are absolutely abysmal. On my second "head unit," which is possessed (turns off/on on its own, changes volume, changes screens) and the Adaptive Cruise Control is the worst I've ever experienced -- loses 2-6 MPH on inclines (very dangerous on highways, where I no longer use it in traffic) and brakes abruptly when approaching traffic. I installed a JC Whitney cruise control on a pickup in 1985 that was superior to it.

My company-owned ‘19 Subaru Legacy has adaptive cruise control and I ab-so-loot Lee hate it... lane assist also disabled as it’s a nanny device that becomes a nothing but a nuisance on empty rural roads...

Reactions: YeOldeCup
There was another thread like this where I gave details about my Hyundai experience. It was met with Hyundai fan boys who loved to tout the latest reliability and quality ratings.

I will never consider a Hyundai or Kia and don’t really give a shit how cheap they are or what the latest ratings say. Sure, they’ve gotten better since the early 00s, which isn’t saying much. I know many people who have both brands—some are happy, many are not.

Wake me up when the resale values come close to matching Toyota and Honda.

^^^ ding, ding, ding! Resale value is the truth teller.

Reactions: JoeFi
I’d believe this were it 1994

Fact is, the Korean brands, not unlike the domestics, have gotten the sh!t together pretty well over the past 20yrs ... save Mitsubishi and Fiat, there really aren’t any real disasters / must-avoid choices lurking out there (except models with stop-start, based on my limited exposure to the feature)

Massimo, I read an article in either Car & Driver or Road &Track (forget which one) at the dentist which claimed the Chinese are coming. Starting in 2020 and there's no stopping them. Said they already have a foothold with Volvo S60 and one Buick model. Said it's going to be a repeat of the Japanese invasion of the 1970s. I imagine they'll have some growing pains like Hyundai did but if it comes to fruition then we'll be lucky if one American brand survives. If memory serves there are something like a dozen automakers in China. So look out!

^^^ ding, ding, ding! Resale value is the truth teller.

More like you’re a “ding-dong”

If resale value is your bellwether then you must believe the following cars are the worst cars on the market:
BMW 7-Series , 6-series, 5-series; likewise Mercedes S-class and E-class​

Each are among the Top10 fastest-depreciating models in 2018, are they bad? No.

#itsmorecomplicatedthanthat

Last edited:
Just got back from the Pittsburgh Car Show, the Kia Telluride looked very nice for the size vehicle, no clue how it drives and/or reliability but I'll say it looked pretty nice and the price was good too

Massimo, I read an article in either Car & Driver or Road &Track (forget which one) at the dentist which claimed the Chinese are coming. Starting in 2020 and there's no stopping them. Said they already have a foothold with Volvo S60 and one Buick model. Said it's going to be a repeat of the Japanese invasion of the 1970s. I imagine they'll have some growing pains like Hyundai did but if it comes to fruition then we'll be lucky if one American brand survives. If memory serves there are something like a dozen automakers in China. So look out!

I’m not going out on a limb projecting that the Chinese will make an impact with an established brand as opposed to trying to build brand awareness/brand equity with something like Chery or Geely ( or even an electric like Farraday Future).... it will likely be cloaked as Buick

More like “ding-dong”

If resale value is your bellweather then you must believe the following cars are the worst cars on the market:
BMW 7-Series , 6-series, 5-series; likewise Mercedes S-class and E-class​

#itsmorecomplicatedthanthat
Go buy a Hyundai since you love them so much.

What did you not like about the Mazda3? I own two -- the 2013 and 2014, both Grand Touring hatchbacks but the 14 is the S-version with the stronger engine. So I've got the last year and the first year after the redesign. I like both cars. Not a problem with either so far. The S gets almost as much gas mileage with the newer engine while delivering a lot more power. Both are fun to drive, but the 14 handles a little better with the firmer ride.

I don't understand the SUV craze, even in states where there is no snow. Most aren't driving off-road, and most aren't buying SUVs for all-wheel drive. When I ask why one would take such a hit on fuel economy and handling to gain a little more volume (most of which isn't useable) the explanations seem to come down to ease of entry/exit. It seems Americans have become incredibly overweight and lazy -- to the point of spending huge sums over the life of their vehicles so they don't have to bend over.

I had a RAV4 for 7-8 years, now I’ve had a CR-V for 7+ years.

Ease of entry / exit is huge.....but also is sitting much higher off the road and having better sightlines.

I like the ease of loading 2-3 sets of golf clubs in the back. One of my most frequent golfing buddies has a Cadillac, the only way we can get 2 bags in his trunk is to take my woods out of my bag and lay them in separately.

Also the cargo space is spectacular as I occasionally have a kennel or two in the back with some rescue work.

I ave 24-25 MPG with 95% of my miles around town.

Yes, I’m (not incredibly) overweight and I’m lazy (incredibly)!

Reactions: JoeFi
I think Hyundai’s top end is more luxurious than Kia but Kia is better with the mid level vehicles.

That said I think Kia just came out with a top end SUV.

Hyundai spun off their top end as Genesis Motors a few years ago. Apparently, Genesis produces a pretty decent car (Genesis G20 is the 2019 North American Car of the Year). Perhaps some of that technology leaks down into Hyundai's top end now.

I am considering Kia vs Hyundai and other mid sized SUVs.
I understand Kia and Hyundai don’t offer all same platforms.
Is one brand the upscale over other such as Buick over Chevrolet?
Thanks for your input.

Hyundai Motor Group (the parent company of Hyundai Motors) has around a 31% stake in Kia Motors, which is similar to what FoMoCo held in Mazda back in the day.

While H and K share in the development of platforms and powertrains, the 2 still see themselves as competitors, so there really isn't a Buick vs. Chevy-type relationship

Ford and Mazda had a similar relationship back in the day - sharing components but also competing head-to-head w/ each other.

H is the more established brand (at least in the US; in other markets, Kia outsells Hyundai), but that doesn't mean H any more premium.

K, in fact, is the brand which has a near-premium trim (formerly the SX-L trim) which offers a higher-grade interior (Ford now does something similar over in Europe w/ the Vignale line).

But w/ Hyundai's latest models (Santa Fe, Palisade), H has stepped up their game when it has come to interiors, so there isn't that much difference btwn the 2.

K, however, is supposed to be the more youthful, sportier brand, but it is H and not K that has the N performance sub-brand.

Overall, K models tend to be sportier than H models - for instance, the Sportage is tuned a bit sportier and is offered w/ a 2.0T engine whereas the Tucson only gets the 1.6T for its top engine, but w/ the N performance sub-brand, H models which will be getting an N version will be getting more power (already have the Veloster-N, but a Tucson-N, Sonata-N, Kona-N are in the pipeline, as well as a bespoke N model).

The 2 brands share a tremendous amount of parts/features. Many of the same platforms and parts are in use, but not quite to the level of 80’s GM badge engineering.

There's a difference btwn platform-sharing (which H/K do) and badge engineering.

For instance, Mercedes does both (w/ other totally separate manufacturers).

The Mercedes X-Trail and Citan are basically a badge-engineered Nissan pick-up and Renault van.

The Infiniti QX30 shares bones and powertrains w/ the Mercedes GLA - which is platform-sharing.

I personally recommend Mazda. Tremendously value for the price. Lots of tech, and one of the best driving experiences in the industry.

Mazda is definitely the mainstream brand for those who place a premium on driving dynamics and want near-premium interiors (Mazda is basically trying to be what VW used to be here).

Reason why Mazda doesn't sell better is due to 3 things - higher prices, lacking power (the new 2.5T helps, but isn't enough) and being more cramped than many of the competitors.

Suspect OP is looking at something like the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Kia Sorento.

Mazda presently doesn't offer a model in the size segment which includes the Santa Fe, Sorento, Edge, Murano, Passport and Blazer, but the Mazda CX-5 is an excellent choice for a compact CUV.

Key differences, the Sorento offers a 3rd row (which is roomy enough to fit smaller adults) and the SF does not.

The Sorento top engine is a V6 whereas the top engine for the SF is a turbo-4.

The SF is a new model whereas the Sorento recently got is facelift, so is entering the latter stages of its life-cycle - so should be able to get a better deal on the Sorento.

H/K both have new 7-8 passenger 3-row CUVs that will be hitting the dealer lots soon, the Palisade and Telluride.

Both have near premium quality interiors which makes that of the Pilot and Highlander look outdated.

As for resale values, that has a lot to do w/ the purchase price (ATP).

Can get a much larger discount on a Sorento than say, the new Honda Passport - so get the savings up front.

Anyhow, these days, Hyundai's resale is on par w/ Nissan's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew
Hyundai spun off their top end as Genesis Motors a few years ago. Apparently, Genesis produces a pretty decent car (Genesis G20 is the 2019 North American Car of the Year). Perhaps some of that technology leaks down into Hyundai's top end now.

Aside from being named NAIAS NACOTY, the Genesis G70 was also named COTY by Motor Trend and made C/D's 10Best list.

I’d believe this were it 1994

Fact is, the Korean brands, not unlike the domestics, have gotten the sh!t together pretty well over the past 20yrs ... save Mitsubishi and Fiat, there really aren’t any real disasters / must-avoid choices lurking out there (except models with stop-start, based on my limited exposure to the feature)

The one I was specifically referring to was and is a 2014. The person still has it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT