ADVERTISEMENT

key to game = PSU balanced offense???

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
quite a few high profile commentators picking PSU tonight (even Desmond). alot of discussion around Trace and a balanced offense. not that this is unimportant, but i have perfect confidence that Trace and the offense can move ball and score, especially vs a Bosa-less tOSU DEF.

to me the key is will we be able to stop the tOSU offense to any degree? based on what we have seen in the first four games tOSU could score on every possession that they do not have some kind of self induced breakdown (i.e. 10/15 yd penalty). this defense is one of the weakest in a few years. our blowout wins have been 4th qtr heavy scoring and if you watch the games even in the second half while the opponents are still contesting the games, we do not stop the straight ahead run well and are victims of middle field passing and we have a hard time getting QB pressure. we do well vs long pass game and wide runs. tOSU offense is several rungs up from anyone we have seen.

my guess is tOSU will get at least 42 pts and could hit 63 on the high end, again based on the defense we have seen the last 4 games. so if the defense can step it up we may hold them to the 42 or a few pts fewer. the odd makers have tOSU at around 38-35 (similar to last year's game), but i think we need to add at least 10 pts to those numbers. O/U should be at least 90.

tOSU defense is nothing to write home about either, but their front 4 even without Bosa are pretty solid. i can see us hitting 49 pts vs these guys. so if DEF can hold up, we win 49-45 or some score like that. if DEF looks like what we have seen we could lose 56-49.

I think we play better on D than many anticipate. I hope we keep things relatively basic, no paralysis by analysis, let our guys use their athletic ability and get after their ass.

If we try to do all kind of 'exotic' things, and have them thinking too much, it could be a long night.

Last edited:
quite a few high profile commentators picking PSU tonight (even Desmond). alot of discussion around Trace and a balanced offense. not that this is unimportant, but i have perfect confidence that Trace and the offense can move ball and score, especially vs a Bosa-less tOSU DEF.

to me the key is will we be able to stop the tOSU offense to any degree? based on what we have seen in the first four games tOSU could score on every possession that they do not have some kind of self induced breakdown (i.e. 10/15 yd penalty). this defense is one of the weakest in a few years. our blowout wins have been 4th qtr heavy scoring and if you watch the games even in the second half while the opponents are still contesting the games, we do not stop the straight ahead run well and are victims of middle field passing and we have a hard time getting QB pressure. we do well vs long pass game and wide runs. tOSU offense is several rungs up from anyone we have seen.

my guess is tOSU will get at least 42 pts and could hit 63 on the high end, again based on the defense we have seen the last 4 games. so if the defense can step it up we may hold them to the 42 or a few pts fewer. the odd makers have tOSU at around 38-35 (similar to last year's game), but i think we need to add at least 10 pts to those numbers. O/U should be at least 90.

tOSU defense is nothing to write home about either, but their front 4 even without Bosa are pretty solid. i can see us hitting 49 pts vs these guys. so if DEF can hold up, we win 49-45 or some score like that. if DEF looks like what we have seen we could lose 56-49.

Yes. This defense has not learned anything. They have no learning curve. WTF are you weenies talking about.

Our D will be better if OSU has to start deep in it's own end. Need Gilikin to have a big day.

I think we play better on D than many anticipate. I how we keep things relatively basic, no paralysis by analysis, let our guys use their athletic ability and get after their ass.

If we try to do all kind of 'exotic' things, and have them thinking too much, it could be a long night.

I think we need to rush 5 with some stunts. If we get to Haskins on occasion that might lead to a stop. They will get their yards. Play for at least one big loss of yardage per drive. Key is getting an occasional stop/punt. If we don't get them for negative yards I think it's a long night. I don't see a field position battle pitting two great defenses.

Put Parsons on the edge instead of Farmer and let the other two linebackers play between the tackles.

The real key to the game is the crowd. The crowd needs to be loud for 4 quarters. Exciting environment for recruits and a national audience on TV is essential to keep the program moving. Winning on the scoreboard would be a bonus.

I think we need to rush 5 with some stunts. If we get to Haskins on occasion that might lead to a stop. They will get their yards. Play for at least one big loss of yardage per drive. Key is getting an occasional stop/punt. If we don't get them for negative yards I think it's a long night. I don't see a field position battle pitting two great defenses.

Put Parsons on the edge instead of Farmer and let the other two linebackers play between the tackles.

The real key to the game is the crowd. The crowd needs to be loud for 4 quarters. Exciting environment for recruits and a national audience on TV is essential to keep the program moving. Winning on the scoreboard would be a bonus.
one thing we agree on ( I think) is keep Farmer on the bench, he's a liability at this point.
I think our best chance is playing 4-2-5 vs their 11 and 10 sets, and I would play Parsons as a box LBer. If you want to rush 5 on occasion I'm all for it.

Yes. This defense has not learned anything. They have no learning curve. WTF are you weenies talking about.

I certainly hope they have learned something. If the D plays the first half like it did the first 4 games, the game will be over. I'm concerned about those two Buckeye RB's rushing between our DT's and our LB's getting pushed around again!

That is exactly what's happened so far this year with absolutely horrible tackling. This can't happen tonight or we have no shot.

I certainly hope they have learned something. If the D plays the first half like it did the first 4 games, the game will be over. I'm concerned about those two Buckeye RB's rushing between our DT's and our LB's getting pushed around again!

That is exactly what's happened so far this year with absolutely horrible tackling. This can't happen tonight or we have no shot.

other than Givens the DT position has not looked good enough to deal with the tOSU RB game. Ellison Jordan looked okay initially. DT and LBs are weakness right now.

With the exception of TCU, all the teams osu has played rank in the 100s defensively. The exception being TCU at 47.

And the osu defense/special teams was responsible for 21 of the points they scored that game. Two tds and the great field position off the blocked punt. The key is to not give them easy points off turnovers.

Just so some of you know, the first game was 3 weeks ago, the second 2 weeks ago and the third game was one week ago. This is a young team and position changes have been made.... Besides, I don't believe they will play with same intensity today .... maybe a little more settled + a little more motivation. It's a function of time, experience and psychology.

Osu only scored 23 on tsu d. The tsu offense gave up 17 points to osu
The 47th ranked defence gave up 21 points to the unstoppable juggernaut that is THE Ohio State University's offence. I didn't watch the game but I'm sure there'll be a buckeye on his way to tell me that osu pulled all starters after the first series and were well into the 3rd string by games end.

The 47th ranked defence gave up 21 points to the unstoppable juggernaut that is THE Ohio State University's offence. I didn't watch the game but I'm sure there'll be a buckeye on his way to tell me that osu pulled all starters after the first series and were well into the 3rd string by games end.

The defense scoring took opportunities to score away from the offense. It’s simple math.

Reactions: Gnat91
I think the key to the game will be crowd noise and not letting O$U get a lead early. Last week Haskins did a good job changing plays at the line and changing routs. If he can’t do that tonight because of crowd noise I think it will make life for our defense a lot easier. It will hide our weakness at LB.

IMHO and according to CJF this morning turnovers will most likely be the deciding factor. With these 2 offenses whichever team has more offensive opportunities will most likely score more points. Here is hoping the WO crowd is so loud that Haskins makes some very bad decisions.
For the Glory!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT