ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Kebba Njie

I think he is overselling himself. Started to improve, but has a long way to go. Should have stayed @ PSU.
I believe he'll be a very good player where ever he ends up. Showed a lot of improvement in his defense. An off season with good coaching should improve his offense.

He came to PSU to play for Shrew. Shrew is gone. If he was my son I'd tell him to explore his options. Maybe he'll go to ND with Shrew. If not he can pick his coach from among the options he ends up having, and I'm betteing he has lots of options.

Why do you believe he should just stay at PSU?

I believe he'll be a very good player where ever he ends up. Showed a lot of improvement in his defense. An off season with good coaching should improve his offense.

He came to PSU to play for Shrew. Shrew is gone. If he was my son I'd tell him to explore his options. Maybe he'll go to ND with Shrew. If not he can pick his coach from among the options he ends up having, and I'm betteing he has lots of options.

And I wouldn’t rule out the chances of any of the guys staying at PSU…but certainly makes sense for them to all explore their options before they make a decision.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Do you think all the football players should have transferred in 2012?

Reactions: Yanks49
The plan going forward should be to avoid any coach who is not here for the long run. What is the point? One half a good season and they are gone. Better off taking a chance on someone else. If they fail so be it. We are in the same boat.

Well Micah destroyed next year that's for certain. Right now I think we got 3 players on the roster...so if we can get a couple student managers or raid the i.m. courts we can at least put a team on the floor...but at the moment 0-30 is on the table.

Reactions: psu1969a
Well Micah destroyed next year that's for certain. Right now I think we got 3 players on the roster...so if we can get a couple student managers or raid the i.m. courts we can at least put a team on the floor...but at the moment 0-30 is on the table.

We were only going to have 6 if shrews stayed.

I don't think he ends up @ ND. I think he can run the court and as you said his defense has improved. He would be a good fit @ the very back end of the 1-2-1-1 press that Rhoades runs. He still needs lots of work with his hands (catching passes & securing rebounds) and iis almost zero threat offensively in the post @ this time. I think he could continue to be brought along slower offensively @ PSU than @ ND. I think more than Rhoades. Shrews will have pressure to make the Tourney in 2024 and Kebba would probably not be a key fit for them. Just my opinion.
What troubles me more is if Mahaffey doesn't reconsider & return. He is exactly the type of athletic player that excels in Rhoades style.

I don't think he ends up @ ND. I think he can run the court and as you said his defense has improved. He would be a good fit @ the very back end of the 1-2-1-1 press that Rhoades runs. He still needs lots of work with his hands (catching passes & securing rebounds) and iis almost zero threat offensively in the post @ this time. I think he could continue to be brought along slower offensively @ PSU than @ ND. I think more than Rhoades. Shrews will have pressure to make the Tourney in 2024 and Kebba would probably not be a key fit for them. Just my opinion.
What troubles me more is if Mahaffey doesn't reconsider & return. He is exactly the type of athletic player that excels in Rhoades style.
Njie as you described needs devlopment, but 6'10" players that can run the floor are not easy to find for many teams. Maybe even ND.

Agree on Mahaffey. After watching Rhoades' teams at VCU Mahaffey seems like an ideal player for how Rhoades likes to play. Would be great to see Rhoades recruit him into staying at PSU. Njie as well.

Seems like players that stay are convinced to do that before long. But who could blame the PSU players if they chose to visit other schools.

Reactions: RickinDayton
This has MR giving the ok to look around all over it. The kid could have portaled like everyone else.....but now does it??

Reactions: Ski
Best opportunity for substantial playing time at a major university.
That seems to depend on who Rhoades brings in. He had a couple big guys at VCU that seemed to have better more rounded games than Njie and if those players follow Rhoades to PSU that might push Njie's playing time back. Njie might want to wait until he knows the other players that Rhoades is bringing in before deciding.......

The plan going forward should be to avoid any coach who is not here for the long run. What is the point? One half a good season and they are gone. Better off taking a chance on someone else. If they fail so be it. We are in the same boat.
it wasn't even half a good season. It was between 2 and 3 good weeks. They finished in 10th place!

honestly i think he had been in communication with ND for a while

That seems to depend on who Rhoades brings in. He had a couple big guys at VCU that seemed to have better more rounded games than Njie and if those players follow Rhoades to PSU that might push Njie's playing time back. Njie might want to wait until he knows the other players that Rhoades is bringing in before deciding.......
Or maybe he's looking for more NIL money.

NIL/Portal/unrestricted free agency is ruining college sports. IMO it's also deemphasizing academics in a big way.

Reactions: MacNit07
Njie looking for more NIL????? MF'er better be looking to see the floor.

NIL, thats rich.
I'm sure he wants playing time but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't being influenced by NIL money.

The kids came to play for Shrew not Penn State. That's the reality.
And the next group will be here to play for Rhodes. None of the star players for any team have any real connection to the school. You think the UConn guys hustled to English class this morning? The schools provide a facility to practice in, a court to host games on, colors and a nickname to be identified by and a vehicle for NIL money. In the future it would not surprise me if the players decided to take control of everything to cut out the middle. Hire their own coach rent their own facility, pick colors and a nickname, negotiate their own NIL deals and schedule their own season. Hoops barnstorming like baseball 100 years ago but with much more sophistication. This also eliminates NCAA recruiting rules, etc.

Reactions: Ski
Or maybe he's looking for more NIL money.

NIL/Portal/unrestricted free agency is ruining college sports. IMO it's also deemphasizing academics in a big way.
Rhoades recruited Njie's brother, who ended up picking SMU. There could be any number of reasons he thinks this isn't a fit for him

This looks like any current player with a pulse, gone. Any recruit, gone meaning we lose Booth. Whomever is left, Rhoades will probably tell them they should move on.

This looks like any current player with a pulse, gone. Any recruit, gone meaning we lose Booth. Whomever is left, Rhoades will probably tell them they should move on.
I can't imagine that is true. Trying to fill a roster with 12 portal transfers would be a near impossible task.

I think Rhodes is trying hard to keep current players.

I'm sure he wants playing time but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't being influenced by NIL money.

Why not look? Can't legally solicit offers without going in the portal. It's not like he's a known entity. Young, began to contribute, played out of position due to necessity.

I can't imagine that is true. Trying to fill a roster with 12 portal transfers would be a near impossible task.

Based on what?

PSU fans won't know what Rhoades' first choices for his roster were even after he uses all the available scholarships, if he does use them all.

Based on what?

PSU fans won't know what Rhoades' first choices for his roster were even after he uses all the available scholarships, if he does use them all.
Isn't it common sense that it would be more difficult to get 13 players through the portal than it would be to get 6?

Shrews did well by getting Pickett, Wynter, Funk, and Henn but he also relied on recruits to stay. Pitt & Wake Forrest had success rebuilding through the portal but it wasn't all 13 players.

And the next group will be here to play for Rhodes. None of the star players for any team have any real connection to the school. You think the UConn guys hustled to English class this morning? The schools provide a facility to practice in, a court to host games on, colors and a nickname to be identified by and a vehicle for NIL money. In the future it would not surprise me if the players decided to take control of everything to cut out the middle. Hire their own coach rent their own facility, pick colors and a nickname, negotiate their own NIL deals and schedule their own season. Hoops barnstorming like baseball 100 years ago but with much more sophistication. This also eliminates NCAA recruiting rules, etc.
This wasn't meant as an insult--just as a reality of sports today.
I'm glad kids can leave when a coach does

Isn't it common sense that it would be more difficult to get 13 players through the portal than it would be to get 6?

Shrews did well by getting Pickett, Wynter, Funk, and Henn but he also relied on recruits to stay. Pitt & Wake Forrest had success rebuilding through the portal but it wasn't all 13 players.
I don't believe it's common sense. There are likely more portal players seeking P5 teams and mid major teams than room for them. That's what happens in football. Shrew or Rhoades could probably get 20 or more transfers, but probably not players that would be their first choice to form the team they want to field.

Given that Rhoades has B10 film on the 2022 PSU class recruits/players he can evaluate them alongside transfers that there is also film on. Obviously Rhoades knows the most about the VCU players that he probably is trying to bring along, but other than those or players his VCU team played against the only advantage I see in Rhoades going after the holdover PSU players is that some might like life at PSU and if they feel wanted may look at PSU as a good an opportunity as going elsewhere with less life disrumption. But I don't see that influencing Rhoades if he has a better player in the portal that he can get. Lots of balls for him to juggle right now as the 2022 PSU class players could have their minds made up already, or they may be looking for "love" elsewhere they may not get. Like Franklin says, if a player is looking (gone into the portal), so is he......

Most here would like to see Mahaffey and Njie and probably Cleary stay as we have seen them contribute and see their portential. But Rhoades may feel he can go out and get better players with possibly more experience. I have a hard time believing that, but we don't know where Rhoades stands on each/all of the 5 2022 freshmen. And likely won't ever know, no matter who stays or goes.

Yep Shrew got some key players to stay. It's hard to imagine Shrew replacing Lundy for example with a similar upper classmen talent had Lundy left, but who knows. And right now there are no Lundy's on the roster. Really only 5 freshmen over half of whom are already in the portal. Didn't Shrew also convince Harrar to stay? No Harrar's on the roster now either. The rosters inherited by Shrew and Rhoades are vastly different, and how they put their own first roster together will likely be pretty different as well.

Last edited:

He is trying but who will stay that actually can contribute meaningfully? I think it is a huge stretch to think Booth will stay committed. Clary maybe?

He is trying but who will stay that actually can contribute meaningfully? I think it is a huge stretch to think Booth will stay committed. Clary maybe?
I think out of all the recruits they probably have the best chance of keeping Booth. Not that it's a great chance

I think out of all the recruits they probably have the best chance of keeping Booth. Not that it's a great chance
Yep. Shrew's son is all but certainly going with him. And the 3rd recruit, a guard I believe, was Shrew's son's friend. Hope Booth's Dad is pleased with the hiring of Rhoades. But it seems like a good chance that there won't be a 2023 true freshmen recruiting class. If Rhoades could some how get Booth recommitted it would be a miracle, and it would also be a big big building block for the next 3 seasons. But it seems like Rhoades would have a better chance of hanging onto Njie who is likely still on campus finishing up his classes.

Has entered the portal we confirmed. Major loss for Penn State. Apologies on lateness was at a family birthday dinner.
Big respect to the kid of course, but he doesn't belong on the court-he doesn't have the physicality or the mind to excel at this level. He would do great at like a Towson or maybe UMBC. My grandma would dominate him on the boards and she is 101.

Big respect to the kid of course, but he doesn't belong on the court-he doesn't have the physicality or the mind to excel at this level. He would do great at like a Towson or maybe UMBC. My grandma would dominate him on the boards and she is 101.
Njie was a true freshmen. He will be good by the time he's a sophomore.

Cline-Heard only averaged 3 pts and 2 rebounds as a freshman. 16 pts and 8 rebounds as a senior and a key player on the sweet 16 team.

Well, if that’s the case, does your grandmother have any eligibility left?

Reactions: m3driver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT