ADVERTISEMENT

K Lee Rumor

You are just as bad at history as you are at trolling.
Not at all but try again
The fact you think Penn State fans are required to believe "success with honor" was anything more than a marketing tool and a way to keep the fan base's expectations lower is frightening.

Reactions: manilion
Not at all but try again
The fact you think Penn State fans are required to believe "success with honor" was anything more than a marketing tool and a way to keep the fan base's expectations lower is frightening.
You get points on this one for getting it right: The slogan was developed a few years after the wake of what Penn State fans called "the dark years"(2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004) when nepotism, horrible recruiting, and malaise(Certain assistant coaches not actually doing their job and of course we found out why in 2011) caused the program a far worse blow than the actual sanctions ever did. It was clear that they could not fire Joe and he didn't want to leave. As great as Joe was, and I still believe he was a great man also who was too old to understand what jad had happened, he really did hold the program hostage toward the very end.

You get points on this one for getting it right: The slogan was developed a few years after the wake of what Penn State fans called "the dark years"(2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004) when nepotism, horrible recruiting, and malaise(Certain assistant coaches not actually doing their job and of course we found out why in 2011) caused the program a far worse blow than the actual sanctions ever did. It was clear that they could not fire Joe and he didn't want to leave. As great as Joe was, and I still believe he was a great man also who was too old to understand what jad had happened, he really did hold the program hostage toward the very end.
Agree 100%, good post.

I agree with most of your post. I do not understand the comment that we found out in 2011 why certain coaches were not doing their job. Please elaborat.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
This is a misrepresentation of the truth.

"Success with Honor" is another way of describing Paterno's "The Grand Experiment". This was of course his idea that college athletes should also be students, active members of the community and well rounded people. Paterno's term, which I'm sure he didn't develop with marketing in mind, isn't terribly descriptive.

So yes "Success with Honor" was introduced as a slogan in the 00s but it is the same idea that Paterno had been espousing since the 60s.

For those in attendance is Lee on the sidelines???
Since this is yet another thread that has devolved into endless bickering I'll try to bring it back on topic. Per the tweets I read yesterday Lee warmed up pregame in pads. But I also read that when the game started he was on the sidelines out of uniform. I haven't seen any chatter about his status and that won't do much to dispel any rumors.

Since this is yet another thread that has devolved into endless bickering I'll try to bring it back on topic. Per the tweets I read yesterday Lee warmed up pregame in pads. But I also read that when the game started he was on the sidelines out of uniform. I haven't seen any chatter about his status and that won't do much to dispel any rumors.
Thank you for some actual information.

Warming up in pads but then being in street clothes during game suggests to me an injury (game time decision), no?

IOW, he is still with the team, but couldn't play due to injury last night. That also track with CJF saying he "wasn't at class".

Thank you for some actual information.

Warming up in pads but then being in street clothes during game suggests to me an injury (game time decision), no?

IOW, he is still with the team, but couldn't play due to injury last night. That also track with CJF saying he "wasn't at class".
That would be my guess but typically with an injury Franklin would at least acknowledge it, he just wouldn't give details as to what it is or how long he might be out. I was a bit surprised that Franklin wasn't asked about it after the game last night especially considering we were able to empty the bench late and even Tank Smith got into the game. That made it pretty obvious that something is up with Lee.

That would be my guess but typically with an injury Franklin would at least acknowledge it, he just wouldn't give details as to what it is or how long he might be out. I was a bit surprised that Franklin wasn't asked about it after the game last night especially considering we were able to empty the bench late and even Tank Smith got into the game. That made it pretty obvious that something is up with Lee.
I opined in the in game thread about an illness. There's a ton of head and chest colds going around my neck of the woods. Although a minor nagging injury makes as much sense.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
This is a misrepresentation of the truth.

"Success with Honor" is another way of describing Paterno's "The Grand Experiment". This was of course his idea that college athletes should also be students, active members of the community and well rounded people. Paterno's term, which I'm sure he didn't develop with marketing in mind, isn't terribly descriptive.

So yes "Success with Honor" was introduced as a slogan in the 00s but it is the same idea that Paterno had been espousing since the 60s.
No, it is NOT the same thing. It was not developed by Patrrno, so categorically it is not the same thing.

Slogan or not it's the same thing.
It's my many enjoyed watching our collapse--they see us as "holier than thou"
No, people who hate Penn State, also hate USC and Notre Dame for the same reasons...perceived arrogance...however Penn State has now moved past this and now the haters pull out the Sandusky card...

I don't know about "Success with Honor," but what I really miss is having a team that isn't out to showboat. I miss seeing Penn State players in plain uniforms making a great play, helping the opposition to their feet, and then casually returning to the huddle.

What do we have now? Players pointing to the crowd with a bunch of head bobbing as if to say "Hey, look at me. I am great."

I don't know about "Success with Honor," but what I really miss is having a team that isn't out to showboat. I miss seeing Penn State players in plain uniforms making a great play, helping the opposition to their feet, and then casually returning to the huddle.

What do we have now? Players pointing to the crowd with a bunch of head bobbing as if to say "Hey, look at me. I am great."
I'll add, they rarely back up the showboating in a game that matters.

Reactions: scrivener
I'll add, they rarely back up the showboating in a game that matters.
Yep...the OSU game will be proving ground for JPJ on this matter...so much theatrics and gesturing. Well, he will be up against the best opposite him at WR...let's see if he brings the game.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Yep...the OSU game will be proving ground for JPJ on this matter...so much theatrics and gesturing. Well, he will be up against the best opposite him at WR...let's see if he brings the game.
The secondary is going to be tested big time next week. Two weeks ago was the DL and LBs test against Michigan's run game and they folded like a chap suit.

Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT