ADVERTISEMENT

Juwanson shows up

Watched that game. He started out with the 2 catches and looked good promptly followed up by a big drop in the end zone on a perfect pass from Herbert and then another drop later in the game.

After his second drop the commentators say “Herbert’s numbers would be so much better right now if not for the drops”.

It was like Deja Vu all over again with regards to hearing them talk about McSorley last year

So almost a zero sum gain for PSU by losing JJ and inserting Shorter into the lineup. I'll admit that I wasn't upset when JJ chose to transfer. But I definitely had higher expectations from Shorter.
I know we can't fault the kid for being injured, but his situation so far is kind of similar to Tommy Stevens. We THINK they are really good players who only need some time on the playing field to show off their talent; however, whether fair or not, they seem to be injured more often than not.

Justin Shorter thru 5 games -- 7 catches for 88 yards
Shorter and Daniel George should get a bunch of targets tonight. Iowa's been focusing on taking away the TE our past two meetings. Friermuth had just the 18 yard TD catch last year and Gesicki went for just 5 catches/25 yards in '17. The result has been throwing more to the X WR opposite the TE. Thompkins had 5 catches last year and JJ had 7 for 92 yards and the dagger in Iowa City.

Shorter hasn’t dropped the ball, there is a big positive over JJ in the trade off. We have spread the ball around a lot so far but his breakout is coming, people forget he had a major injury last year and lost a lot of time. He is a redshirt freshman now and KJ is the guy who commands the ball in this offense. pat and Dotson have only combined for 27 catches so far and they have pretty much played 2 more games then Shorter. I believe he was cleared to play midweek and made the trip to Iowa. I expect that sometime in the next 3 games the Justin Shorter breakout will take place.

So almost a zero sum gain for PSU by losing JJ and inserting Shorter into the lineup. I'll admit that I wasn't upset when JJ chose to transfer. But I definitely had higher expectations from Shorter.
I know we can't fault the kid for being injured, but his situation so far is kind of similar to Tommy Stevens. We THINK they are really good players who only need some time on the playing field to show off their talent; however, whether fair or not, they seem to be injured more often than not.

Justin Shorter thru 5 games -- 7 catches for 88 yards
I'm really rooting for Shorter to catch fire. We have a very good TE & WR. IMO the missing piece is a tall/strong WR that can high point the ball in traffic.

Didn’t realize that the season or Shorter’s career was over.

In regards to Shorter, I was referring to this season, up to this point. I think we're all hoping for him to go ahead and have his breakout game, but it seems like Clifford doesn't look his way much when he's in. I just have a feeling his coming out party won't happen until late in the year, or maybe next season. BUT, I'd love for him to make me eat my words tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT