ADVERTISEMENT

Just tuned in to the Pirates/Cubs game

Everything you cited is irrelevant and none of it is in the rule book. The "non-emotional" reason for a runner to veer to his left, slide and make contact is simple - to break up a double play. It has been part of the game since the 1800's and when MLB modified the slide rule a few years ago they did not modify it to the extent that a runner who has been forced out is not allowed to slide provided he remains in the base line.

That is not allowed anymore dummy. Read the rule. It’s been cited several times in this thread. Or better yet just shut up.

I grew up with the Cubs and they absolutely sucked for most of my life but I hung in there with them. It was to the point that the bar was so low you expected very little so when they won it was an event. Never would be a jerk at another teams stadium, it would be like a Browns fan at Heinz going crazy. There does seem to be a lot of bandwagon fans now that they won - sort of like the Red Sox have. Those people probable only know Ernie Banks and a few others but not many of the older guy's but I guess that is what comes with winning.
Gotta say, Red Sox fans have you beat by a mile on the obnoxious scale. By the way, you forgot to mention Billy Williams. He along with Ernie were two of my all time favorites.

Everything you cited is irrelevant and none of it is in the rule book. The "non-emotional" reason for a runner to veer to his left, slide and make contact is simple - to break up a double play. It has been part of the game since the 1800's and when MLB modified the slide rule a few years ago they did not modify it to the extent that a runner who has been forced out is not allowed to slide provided he remains in the base line.
It's even okay to veer out of you running path and take out a defenseless player?

Like I said to SweetRevenge78, you must also be in favor of chop blocks.

And, when Rizzo has a nasty bruise on his forehead by an "errant" throw, you will simply accept that as baseball players being baseball players. Gotcha.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ceasar is correct but no one else is willing to acknowledge just how wrong they are.
Yes, it is okay to take out a "defenseless" player in that situation. Good hard, clean baseball
Isn't comparable to a chop block at all--you want to compare it to Army/Navy/Air Force/Ga Tech/etc cutting players then fine and I'll tell you I'm fine with those blocks.
If Rizzo gets hit that would be fine--police the game within the game--the Bucs won't do that because they have no balls but if they did I would support it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yep....Rizzo will be getting one in the earhole next at bat.

Clearly you haven't watched much Pirate baseball. He slept well last night with no concerns about the Bucs doing anything. A different team then I'd agree. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Bucs do something. Even if they just throw behind him I'd be impressed. They won't but at least it would show some balls for once.

Reactions: nits74 and TheGLOV
Clearly you haven't watched much Pirate baseball. He slept well last night with no concerns about the Bucs doing anything. A different team then I'd agree. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Bucs do something. Even if they just throw behind him I'd be impressed. They won't but at least it would show some balls for once.

I give you the preverbal business SWEET but I like you sir!

You got gumption sir!

:)

lol, well okay...you are correct in that I have not watched much Pirate baseball lately.

Gotta say, Red Sox fans have you beat by a mile on the obnoxious scale. By the way, you forgot to mention Billy Williams. He along with Ernie were two of my all time favorites.
Glenn Beckert and Don Kessinger livid in my town and used to play tennis at my grade school, we saw them there all the time. Randy Hundley would also show up from time to time. Very nice guy's. I loved the 1969 Cubs even though they broke my heart as a kid growing up.

What "new" rule are you citing? The one from 2015 or something more recent? You say he "changed his path". I don't see any change, nor did the umpires, nor did the MLB people who reviewed the slide. I assume you are suggesting the runner "changed his path" for purpose of initiating contact with the fielder". If you look at the replay, as Rizzo approached home plate he ran directly towards the catcher and slid towards him while still being able to touch home plate. All of that is within the rule as he never left the base path. IMHO that does not constitute changing one's path. Did he run in a direct line from 3B to home for 90 feet? No. Nor does the rule require him to provided he remains within the base path. If it did MLB would have explicitly changed the rule to eliminate the "3 foot rule" and said a player must slide directly into a base and must run in a straight line. There is a reason they did not do that as it would in effect render it impossible to ever break up a DP.
Guess what genius, MLB just said the slide was ILLEGAL and informed the Cubs and Pirates of the decision.

Glenn Beckert and Don Kessinger livid in my town and used to play tennis at my grade school, we saw them there all the time. Randy Hundley would also show up from time to time. Very nice guy's. I loved the 1969 Cubs even though they broke my heart as a kid growing up.
I believe one or both of those guys grew up in Pittsburgh. Someone here will know. Yeah, the 1969 Cubs had it, but fell victim to the Amazin' Mets. Crazy race that year. Also forgot to mention another favorite of mine, Ron Santo. Anyway, I liked sports a lot in that era. Something missing now (probably just my youth!). Good talking with you.

I thought we can't trust decisions made by anyone--why does someone in the MLB office now matter. Consistency please
MLB did not say that. A source said MLB thinks the call was wrong. Guess what? MLB does not officiate games, umpires do. So there is little import to what they think in a situation like that. It's a judgment call, the umps and then replay make the call, not MLB

MLB did not say that. A source said MLB thinks the call was wrong. Guess what? MLB does not officiate games, umpires do. So there is little import to what they think in a situation like that. It's a judgment call, the umps and then replay make the call, not MLB
Nice try, spin doctor.

Reactions: wbcincy
Saying you were on the wrong side of an argument doesn't make you a bad person. Sure, umpires officiate the games but they are employed by MLB. MLB had informed both teams the slide should have been ruled as interference. The MLB office ultimately decides how rules are to be applied and the umpire crew and replay crew were wrong.

It's funny how a few people in this thread have been adamant about how the slide was perfectly legal but now their argument has shifted to, "Well, it was a judgement call so what are ya gonna do?"

Reactions: wbcincy
Saying you were on the wrong side of an argument doesn't make you a bad person. Sure, umpires officiate the games but they are employed by MLB. MLB had informed both teams the slide should have been ruled as interference. The MLB office ultimately decides how rules are to be applied and the umpire crew and replay crew were wrong.

It's funny how a few people in this thread have been adamant about how the slide was perfectly legal but now their argument has shifted to, "Well, it was a judgement call so what are ya gonna do?"
It is a judgment call, same as balls and strikes are. There is a rule and the ump uses his judgment to apply the situation to the rule. Your point is taken however. If MLB makes a statement that it was interference I will be happy to admit my interpretation is wrong.

I was lucky enough to coach a kid who is now a prominent RP for a Cubs rival. I texted him today to ask his and his teams opinion on the Rizzo play. He and his team think Rizzo is a dirty player, its not the first time he's taken out a C and he routinely goes outside of the normal path to slide in to people.

Forget Bob Gibson. Bob WALK would have plunked him in the head. AJ Burnett would have done the same thing. Tonight....nothing, so far.

I was off line for while but want to issue my mea culpa to those who were correct in the rule and its interpretation. You were right, I was wrong.
That is refreshing. Baseball aside, there are some on this board who will not admit their errors under any circumstances. We all make mistakes and a certain amount of humility enhances credibility.

99 percent of the managers in this league would have ordered it. That's all I have to say.

Tommy Lasorda and Sparky Anderson, back in the day, both publicly stated that they NEVER ordered any of their pitchers to hit any batter.

They didn't have to say it. They both spoke with their EYES!

Believe me, their pitchers clearly understood the message.

Debate pros and cons of the rule all you want, but ‘breaking up a DP’ hasn’t been part of the game for at least a generation. MLB is behind the times in catching up. Like it or not, protecting players is the focus.
There is not one American born major leaguer today (and probably all other nationalities) who hasn’t played Little League, high school or college baseball. They’ve grown up with the ‘direct slide’ rule. If there is a force play, the slide/feet must go directly to the base. Not wide of it to where you claim ability to touch with hand.
Like the NFL trying to figure out what a catch is, MLB should quit complicating it by interpreting changes of direction/intentions/etc and just copy a LL, HS or NCAA rule book.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT