ADVERTISEMENT

Just saw where Realuto resigned with the Phillies for 115.5 million

harbest

Sep 26, 2001
and this question popped into my head: Do you think Johnny Bench wishes he were about 50 years younger? In todays world, would there be enough money to afford a catcher like Bench? Think of some of the players mentioned in the baseball Mt Rushmore thread, how would you calculate their worth in today's market.

and this question popped into my head: Do you think Johnny Bench wishes he were about 50 years younger? In todays world, would there be enough money to afford a catcher like Bench? Think of some of the players mentioned in the baseball Mt Rushmore thread, how would you calculate their worth in today's market.

Agreed. And how much would Mays and Aaron make if they were in their primes today?

This is very much living in retrospect. If there's enough money to afford Trout, or Betts or Altuve, there surely would have been enough to afford anyone that played. Looking back on these players is one thing, but you have to ask, at the time they played while they were great, were they legendary yet? i'd argue that NO player is legendary while they play. Well.... maybe Trout is the closest.

This analysis has likely been done, but it would be great to understand how the era of middle relief and specialized pitching might have impacted historic player stats.

Expansion had also diluted pitching talent, but older players didn’t see middle relievers throwing 98+ and brought in for specific batter matchups.

Reactions: LionJim
This analysis has likely been done, but it would be great to understand how the era of middle relief and specialized pitching might have impacted historic player stats.

Expansion had also diluted pitching talent, but older players didn’t see middle relievers throwing 98+ and brought in for specific batter matchups.

not just that, but starters and their complete games, which i think needs to be analyzed too. here's a great website to see how the amount of CGs diminished over the years.

CG record? Cy Young at 749!!!!!

Lots of luto for muto.

Which explains the current dependence on the home run to score. With the bases empty and two outs it’s next to impossible to score without a home run, not with the quality of pitchers available nowadays.

I wonder how many of the Hall of Famers would have still made the Hall of Fame with the use of advanced stats that we use today?

I may be one of the few, but I question whether his value is that high.
mlb.com called him the best catcher in the game. I hope so.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I may be one of the few, but I question whether his value is that high.
mlb.com called him the best catcher in the game. I hope so.
He certainly is, but part of the reason is because the talent at the catcher position is at an all time low. The question will be if he can catch at high level into his mid 30s, otherwise he becomes an overpaid 1b

The JT deal was the deal that could have and should have been done a long time ago. The standard was always Mauer and the solution was always to beat the AAV of the Mauer deal but for a shorter length. I had suggested a deal of 4 years at $100 million so that the Phillies could be locking Realamuto for the proper number of years given catchers and still allow him and his agent to say that they were setting a new market.

So they jerked around for a year and basically did this deal with one extra year and slightly less AAV over the five years - $23.1m per year.

An interesting intersection here. The person who purchased the majority of the items at auction is the guy you see in the Sixers Jersey with the towel. He paid 7 figures I believe for the best items and then returned it all to Bench.

I bet Bench is torn by that. On one hand he's probably grateful. But on the other hand he's probably thinking "Now that I have the stuff back I'd like to sell it again and get more money but if I did that I'd seem like a massive ingrate."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT