ADVERTISEMENT

Could use some tips from the AKB

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
I am flying back to Philadelphia on September 14 (returning to San Francisco on September 20) to spend a a few days attending fall sporting events back there. I'll be going with three Cal fraternity brothers who are also sports fans. We take trips like this almost every year.

We plan on attending a Phillies game, an Orioles game, and Nationals game, and the Eagles' September 19 game against the Niners. In between, we will do a bit of sightseeing in Philly and DC. Not sure if there is much, other than Camden Yards, I would want to see in Baltimore. We will be renting a vehicle, so we will not be reliant solely on public transportation.

I have seen many of the obvious tourist spots in Philly (e.g., the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Ben Franklin Museum, Art Museum, etc.), but am wondering if members of the AKB might have some other suggestions. I DO plan on hitting the Reading Terminal Market., and perhaps South Street. Have not been to Society Hill in ages. Any good dining establishments to recommend? Seems like there was a thread some months back concerning a center city steakhouse that people were raving over.

Have also seen several of the obvious tourist spots in DC (the Capitol, the Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson Monuments, the Tidal Basin, the Smithsonian, the National Gallery, the lobby of the National Archives). But there are surely some additional worthy spots to see. Perhaps a good restaurant or watering hole in Georgetown? Any recommendations? Have never taken the White House tour. Not sure how hard it is to get tickets, how much time it takes, or whether it is worth it.)

I just realized that I will be in Philly when the White Out game against Auburn kicks off. Which Philly sports (or other) bar would people recommend for taking in that game? I think we plan on staying at the downtown Hilton.

Lastly, I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion concerning a website or other service for buying Eagles tickets.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Zahav is one of the best in Philly - it's Israeli/Meditteranean. Was there in June - very nice food.

Continental Mid-Town, Davio's Steakhouse (Northern Italian), Barclay Prime, Parc, Monk's (mussels and beer) Del Frisco's (personal fave).

A friend owns Veda - Indian Bistro. If you go there, try their Old Fashioned - might be the best one I have ever had. Perfectly balanced.

I am flying back to Philadelphia on September 14 (returning to San Francisco on September 20) to spend a a few days attending fall sporting events back there. I'll be going with three Cal fraternity brothers who are also sports fans. We take trips like this almost every year.

We plan on attending a Phillies game, an Orioles game, and Nationals game, and the Eagles' September 19 game against the Niners. In between, we will do a bit of sightseeing in Philly and DC. Not sure if there is much, other than Camden Yards, I would want to see in Baltimore. We will be renting a vehicle, so we will not be reliant solely on public transportation.

I have seen many of the obvious tourist spots in Philly (e.g., the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Ben Franklin Museum, Art Museum, etc.), but am wondering if members of the AKB might have some other suggestions. I DO plan on hitting the Reading Terminal Market., and perhaps South Street. Have not been to Society Hill in ages. Any good dining establishments to recommend? Seems like there was a thread some months back concerning a center city steakhouse that people were raving over.

Have also seen several of the obvious tourist spots in DC (the Capitol, the Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson Monuments, the Tidal Basin, the Smithsonian, the National Gallery, the lobby of the National Archives). But there are surely some additional worthy spots to see. Perhaps a good restaurant or watering hole in Georgetown? Any recommendations? Have never taken the White House tour. Not sure how hard it is to get tickets, how much time it takes, or whether it is worth it.)

I just realized that I will be in Philly when the White Out game against Auburn kicks off. Which Philly sports (or other) bar would people recommend for taking in that game? I think we plan on staying at the downtown Hilton.

Lastly, I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion concerning a website or other service for buying Eagles tickets.

Zahav is a good call. Also check out Vetri, Vernick, and I'll throw in Wm. Mulherin Sons--could be tough to get reservations at any of these, though. Good cocktails at Charlie was a Sinner. Another very cool cocktail spot is Bok Bar.

If you're in to art, check out the Barnes Foundation in the suburbs.

Make sure you wear your 49ers Jersey wherever you go for a warm Philly welcome.

Reactions: dailybuck777

The Philadelphia chapter of the PSAA is staging TV viewing parties at:

City Tap House
2 Logan Square
Philadelphia, PA

There are several Hilton hotels in Philadelphia, so I'd need more info before recommending whether you could walk to City Tap House, or take a cab/uber. You'll want to get there pretty early if you want to ensure a seat for the game.

As for recommendations for things to see in Philadelphia, D.C., or Baltimore, if you provide a little more info about your interests, I could assist with each of those.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Zahav is a good call. Also check out Vetri, Vernick, and I'll throw in Wm. Mulherin Sons--could be tough to get reservations at any of these, though. Good cocktails at Charlie was a Sinner. Another very cool cocktail spot is Bok Bar.

Great post. Think I'll pass on wearing Niners gear. They are an acquired taste for former Raiders fans.

"Charlie was a Sinner?" Love that name of that bar.

Great post. Think I'll pass on wearing Niners gear. They are an acquired taste for former Raiders fans.

"Charlie was a Sinner?" Love that name of that bar.

The Barnes is on the Parkway a few blocks from the Museum of Art; great collection of Impressionism.
Also, check out the National Constitution Center, 2 blocks up the mall from Independence Hall.

The Museum of the American Revolution in Philly should be added to your list. The Plow and the Stars is a nice pub like restaurant located nearby there, at 2nd and Chestnut, and has nice food and Irish music.

Haven't been there in years but the Inner harbor in Baltimore is cool. Filomena's in Georgetown is a good Italian restaurant.

Sort of out of the loop on the better restaurants in DC since I haven't done anything there since COVID started, but there are a few places worth visiting that I know are open (also, where are you staying, and how do you plan to get around?):

Bad Saint - http://www.badsaintdc.com/
Le Diplomate - https://lediplomatedc.com/
Rose's Luxury - https://www.rosesluxury.com/
Shibuya Eatery (three floors of Japanese food/drink, including the awesomely named Death Punch Bar!) - https://www.shibuyaeatery.com/

Here is a recent list of the 'hottest new' restaurants if you want to pass on some of the established places for something more recent:

Some of my favorite cocktail bars:

Tabard Inn - https://www.tabardinn.com/
Columbia Room - http://columbiaroomdc.com/ (probably the most award winning bar in DC)
The Gibson - https://www.thegibsondc.com/
barmini - https://www.minibarbyjoseandres.com/barmini/

Local cocktail/spirit-maker Todd Thrasher opened up a Tiki Bar/Rum Distillery at the Wharf (lots of great restaurants there too) - Tiki TnT - https://www.tikitnt.com/; another great tiki bar is Archipelago - http://archipelagobardc.com/ - add a rum 'floater' to your Pina Colada and thank me later.

As for sightseeing, maybe do the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture and the Hirschhorn if you haven't done them (same for Air & Space). Can give more info if you tell me how long you'll be in town (for example, Eastern Market is fun but that's only open certain days/times).

If you plan to get out of DC into NoVA, I have more/other recommendations. Have a great trip!

Zahav is one of the best in Philly - it's Israeli/Meditteranean. Was there in June - very nice food.

Continental Mid-Town, Davio's Steakhouse (Northern Italian), Barclay Prime, Parc, Monk's (mussels and beer) Del Frisco's (personal fave).

A friend owns Veda - Indian Bistro. If you go there, try their Old Fashioned - might be the best one I have ever had. Perfectly balanced.

I see it's near the Mutter Museum; that's worth visiting too (but go before you eat).

Also, speaking of Indian food, did you/anyone see the absolute dump Washington Post columnist Gene Weingarten took on all Indian cuisine today? Holy sh*t was it insulting. Lots of blowback on twitter - seems he's since apologized. What editor let this happen (though I think he was trying to be funny/TIC, we know how that plays out these days)....?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...4996a8-efc0-11eb-81d2-ffae0f931b8f_story.html

Not a frequent visitor to Baltimore, considering how close I am. That said, fells point is a pretty cool area to bad hop. Also, there is a little Italy not far from the inner harbor that may have nice dinner options.

I see it's near the Mutter Museum; that's worth visiting too (but go before you eat).

Also, speaking of Indian food, did you/anyone see the absolute dump Washington Post columnist Gene Weingarten took on all Indian cuisine today? Holy sh*t was it insulting. Lots of blowback on twitter - seems he's since apologized. What editor let this happen (though I think he was trying to be funny/TIC, we know how that plays out these days)....?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...4996a8-efc0-11eb-81d2-ffae0f931b8f_story.html

It’s not for everyone. That said it’s still popular in the urban/heavily populated areas of the US.

Reactions: Midnighter2
If you and your friends drink get diamond club tickets for Nats. Although Philly also had a diamond club the nets includes unlimited food and draft beer.

buy tix on Stubhub whenever the price point works for you. To me the value is $250. I typically buy tix the day before or the am of and typically pay 150. Sometimes can be as low as 100.

Club opens 1.5 hours before game. 1.75 hours be at the hone plate entrance and enter stadium right when it opens. Also there are tables on the rail overlooking the field. Only season thx holders can reserve. However once you walk in give $20 to the person at the front abs ask to please get a rail table if one is open or someone doesn’t show up. I’ve sat here 30 plus times and gotten table all but one time.
Also note the food they deliver to you is different than the various self grab.
No better way to spend time with friends - I do it about three times per year.

Bear, re dc restaurants, try one of the Jose andres tapas places downtown. Great food, great cocktails, lots of fun, relatively casual, and you’re supporting a helluva good guy. My favorite is Jaleo (Spain), but zaytinya is great for Mediterranean tapas. Make a reservation

honestly, I’m not a big fan of Georgetown, but if you are so inclined, go down to the waterfront to fiola mare (not to be confused with filomena). Italian fish and seafood. It’ll knock your socks off. A little more formal but if the weathers good, outside on the water is way cool.

west of Georgetown on MacArthur boulevard is et voila. Great casual Belgian. Fantastic desserts. Unassuming. Downtown Belgian — brasserie beck. Great mussels and beer selection

re things to do: for aerospace, consider the udvar hazy annex to air and space museum out by Dulles. Take a hike through rock creek. If by chance you like golf and will have your sticks, let me know. I am not a fan of the wharf - .

Last edited:
Everyone’s hit the restaurants pretty well. Don’t know if you been to Elfreth’s Alley in Philly. It’s not far from the Betsy Ross house and is the country’s oldest residential street from the early 1700s.

iu

Boathouse Row-

iu

Spruce St Harbor Park-

iu

iu

Museum of the American Revolution-

Philly events in the Fall-

Have a great trip. Don’t wear Niners gear to the Eagles game. ;)

Sort of out of the loop on the better restaurants in DC since I haven't done anything there since COVID started, but there are a few places worth visiting that I know are open (also, where are you staying, and how do you plan to get around?):

Bad Saint - http://www.badsaintdc.com/
Le Diplomate - https://lediplomatedc.com/
Rose's Luxury - https://www.rosesluxury.com/
Shibuya Eatery (three floors of Japanese food/drink, including the awesomely named Death Punch Bar!) - https://www.shibuyaeatery.com/

Here is a recent list of the 'hottest new' restaurants if you want to pass on some of the established places for something more recent:

Some of my favorite cocktail bars:

Tabard Inn - https://www.tabardinn.com/
Columbia Room - http://columbiaroomdc.com/ (probably the most award winning bar in DC)
The Gibson - https://www.thegibsondc.com/
barmini - https://www.minibarbyjoseandres.com/barmini/

Local cocktail/spirit-maker Todd Thrasher opened up a Tiki Bar/Rum Distillery at the Wharf (lots of great restaurants there too) - Tiki TnT - https://www.tikitnt.com/; another great tiki bar is Archipelago - http://archipelagobardc.com/ - add a rum 'floater' to your Pina Colada and thank me later.

As for sightseeing, maybe do the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture and the Hirschhorn if you haven't done them (same for Air & Space). Can give more info if you tell me how long you'll be in town (for example, Eastern Market is fun but that's only open certain days/times).

If you plan to get out of DC into NoVA, I have more/other recommendations. Have a great trip!
Thanks very much, Midnighter. I frickin' LOVE tiki bars. But I gotta say that the name "Death Punch Bar" is definitely intriguing. (Why couldn't it have been called the Donkey Punch Bar? :cool: )

Reactions: Midnighter2
If you like old trains, I'd recommend the B&O Museum in Baltimore. It's not too far from Camden Yards (within walking distance).

Thanks very much, Midnighter. I frickin' LOVE tiki bars. But I gotta say that the name "Death Punch Bar" is definitely intriguing. (Why couldn't it have been called the Donkey Punch Bar? :cool: )

Yeah, I think I was late to the Tiki Bar craze; we went to Archipelago for a friend's birthday a number of years back and it was great - they have a big screen where they project old, Saturday afternoon island themed movies (usually in B&W and with some tourists trying to avoid capture by cannibals) and the food is surprisingly good and varied - goes without saying the cocktails are wonderful. If you plan to go to a Tiki Bar, I would go there over TnT (which is at the Wharf, and while shiny and new, it's more sterile - Archipelago is on U Street which is a bit livelier and more authentic to the DC experience IMO).

I'm dying to go to Death Punch Bar - let me know if you go!

enter-the-dragon-so-fast-6-cropped-www.nerdatron.com-best-kung-fu-martial-arts-bruce-lee-movies-of-1970s.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT