ADVERTISEMENT

Just a reminder that the Urban Meyer "investigation" deadline is Sunday.

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
Do folks think OSU will come to a resolution by Sunday? My expectation is that an announcement will be made today around 7 PM Eastern time that Urban will not be fired. I don't even expect a suspension.

Do folks think OSU will come to a resolution by Sunday? My expectation is that an announcement will be made today around 7 PM Eastern time that Urban will not be fired. I don't even expect a suspension.
No its not. Looks like the OSU Pres is now saying it will end when the investigation is completed.

Ohio State president Michael Drake loosened up on that timeline in an interview with WOSU public radio in central Ohio on Thursday, and said the probe "will be finished when it's finished."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ban-meyer-will-be-finished-when-its-finished/

I would agree...but the tOSU President made a statement yesterday where he seemed to discuss this 14 day guideline was "directional" in nature.

"What we're thinking of is doing a good investigation," Drake said during a radio interview on the WOSU show All Sides with Ann Fisher on Thursday.

"I'm pleased to, in consultation with the board, bring in a really outstanding team. There's a great deal of interest in this investigation, so we wanted to make sure we had really good information. And there's time pressure, we wanted to make sure we have that information as quickly as possible ... about two weeks. That's the projected goal. The investigation is underway as we speak. It will be finished when it's finished."​

Wouldn't surprise me if this investigation continued till Urban had heart problems and felt that he had to resign for health reasons years from now.

Reactions: odshowtime
They will stretch this out one more week because the Maryland story has kept this fresh in the news. Expect a news dump next weekend exonerating Urban of any major infractions. He will receive a slap on the wrist and all will be forgiven.

Reactions: NelsonMunce
If they are going to credibly decide not to fire him, it is going to take more than 2 weeks in any event. Wonder how many more texts or tapes or pictures Brett Murphy has. Murphy is Omarosa, and OSU and Urby are Trump. Careful what you put out there as the truth. :eek:

This “investigation” was over the second the Maryland/DJ Durkin story broke.

Media had a new shiny thing to look at and OSU closed the books and stepped back.

OSU now has the “well, what we did wasn’t as bad as THAT so....” defense.

I’m sure they sent multiple fruit baskets of gratitude to College Park over the last week.

I think the OP has it right. The original statement regarding timeline was not well received when it hit the news. They've softened their position on it so it appears more like an actual investigation, however, I'm guessing it will still be wrapped up today. They'll just explain it away like it happened organically. If they're simply going to reinstate Urban, I don't think they will keep him away from the team for another week during such a critical time.

Reactions: NewEra 2014
When they announced the timeline, people knew it was a sham.

When we learned that 3 of their BOT are on the “independent” investigation team, it cemented that they had already made up their mind on the desired results.

Now, if and no matter when they reinstate Meyer, the public has already made up their mind about the investigation.

You can’t make up a football based timeline for an investigation and then put several of your own BOT on the “independent” investigation and subsequently get the public to buy that it was a real investigation.

When we learned that 3 of their BOT are on the “independent” investigation team, it cemented that they had already made up their mind on the desired results.

Now, if and no matter when they reinstate Meyer, the public has already made up their mind about the investigation.

You can’t make up a football based timeline for an investigation and then put several of your own BOT on the “independent” investigation and subsequently get the public to buy that it was a real investigation.

I agree. What tOSU has to now consider is that the press are sharks in the water with blood. The guy who broke the story has demonstrated that he has data and access. tOSU has to do enough investigation to know that there are no other bombshells, or they enter PSU/MSU territory as far as scandals go. Frankly, from what I can tell, Meyer looks like he did his old mentor a favor by taking care of his mentor's son. His mentor's son married a woman who is a wacko and/or his mother in law is a wacko (one, the other, or both). There seems to be, at least, a little physical evidence from the old events, little to no evidence of the 2015 events. Cops seemed to have given a little preferential treatment. How much does this run through Meyer? Time will tell. But the woman seems to have a vendetta against Meyer...why? What did Meyer do that upset her?

Lots not yet known.

I agree. What tOSU has to now consider is that the press are sharks in the water with blood. The guy who broke the story has demonstrated that he has data and access. tOSU has to do enough investigation to know that there are no other bombshells, or they enter PSU/MSU territory as far as scandals go. Frankly, from what I can tell, Meyer looks like he did his old mentor a favor by taking care of his mentor's son. His mentor's son married a woman who is a wacko and/or his mother in law is a wacko (one, the other, or both). There seems to be, at least, a little physical evidence from the old events, little to no evidence of the 2015 events. Cops seemed to have given a little preferential treatment. How much does this run through Meyer? Time will tell. But the woman seems to have a vendetta against Meyer...why? What did Meyer do that upset her?

Lots not yet known.
I find the vendetta against Meyer idea a bit far fetched. I can see a vendetta against her ex who not only cheated on her but has already has admitted in writing to choking her. She may dislike Meyer for seeming to protect the ex against any legal issues (DUI, police reports, all having no bearing on his career). But a vendetta against him sounds like very typical assault on the abuse victim's character defense strategy.

Any investigation without meyer, Court Smith and zach on tape is a waste of time.

Lots not yet known.

I agree there is a lot that is unknown. But we do have Meyer's wife saying Smith scared her and we have Smith admitting to and apologizing for choking his wife. Looking at a lot of the other stuff thru the prism of those known facts makes things look not so good for Urban and OSU.

Reactions: ImaWright
MODS, MODS CLEANUP ON ISLE 3! CLEANUP ON ISLE 3! WING NUT CANT KEEP HIS WING NUT MOUTH SHUT
I guess you approve of dem’s post. The knife should cut both ways. I would like to see both posts cleaned up.

They were smart to put members of the board on the team; provided they won’t interfere or give that appearance.

A lot of lessons were learned by allowing Louis Freeh to perform his investigation and then get up in front of the world and say whatever the heck he wanted, whether fact, opinion or conjecture, whether his own or shared by others.

Investigators should investigate. The board should decide what to do with the findings, including how to proceed and the announcement of findings. Let’s remember this investigation isn’t required by anyone but OSU and public opinion.

I continue to predict that President Drake will fire Urban Meyer.

Unlike some other University Presidents in the past (Gordon Gee, Graham Spanier, Edward Foote), Drake does not appear to be a man who is either (1) scared of his football coach, or (2) scared of the backlash involved with censoring his football coach.

Unlike some other University Presidents in the past (Gordon Gee, Graham Spanier, Edward Foote), Drake does not appear to be a man who is either (1) scared of his football coach, or (2) scared of the backlash involved with censoring his football coach.

I don't think the reason Urban stays is that anyone is afraid of firing him. I think he'll be deemed more valuable than the risk of keeping him.

I think it is possible that Meyer resigns. I think it is possible he takes the "martyr" approach. He cal talk about him being 100% legal, reported it as dictated, but was rung up by a politically correct hack job. He then goes on to an ESPN career like A-Rod. This would allow the media to stop poking around, tOSU to move on less burned, and the Meyer to get on with a career outside of coaching. Not probable, but wouldn't be shocked.

Reactions: Madsol
I agree with you, but even in Ohio, OSU doesn't have subpoena power. They already fired Smith - what leverage do they have to MAKE him participate in any investigation?
None. So it is a fraud from the get go. They DO have leverage over Urby, and he should have been cross examined a week ago, but I bet they never spoke to him directly, at least not in a form that is recorded and can result in more of his lies being exposed. Watch for them to say they reached out to Courtney smith and she refused to cooperate.

IF they are actually interested in the truth they need to record Urby on all these topics, then transcribe the recordings and PUBLISH them. This will bring those who can prove Urban is lying out of their cracks and crevices into the daylight. I predict it will not be done.

They were smart to put members of the board on the team; provided they won’t interfere or give that appearance.

They have 3 BOT on the team lead by an octogenarian who may not even know what a text is and were given 2 weeks and a very limited budget to conclude definitively. What perception should the public have of this? Because none of that says an actual investigation. It just says the season starts in a couple of weeks.

They have 3 BOT on the team lead by an octogenarian who may not even know what a text is and were given 2 weeks and a very limited budget to conclude definitively. What perception should the public have of this? Because none of that says an actual investigation. It just says the season starts in a couple of weeks.
They don't have to have an independent investigation at all, more less one like in criminal case. This isn't an investigation into legal or illegal behavior. If not for the court of public opinion, this is entirely an internal matter governed by a university's expectations of it's personnel.

You're right that OSU blundered in indicating a seemingly limited inquiry to the public. But this investigation really shouldn't have to take much time.

Your point about "the team lead by an octogenarian who may not even know what a text is" was pretty low.

A lot of lessons were learned by allowing Louis Freeh to perform his investigation and then get up in front of the world and say whatever the heck he wanted, whether fact, opinion or conjecture, whether his own or shared by others.

Investigators should investigate. The board should decide what to do with the findings, including how to proceed and the announcement of findings. Let’s remember this investigation isn’t required by anyone but OSU and public opinion.

The board was originally going to review the report privately and outrage from the alumni that they'd twist the findings dictated that the report would be released publicly and the first time the board would see it would be the same time as everyone else.

The board was originally going to review the report privately and outrage from the alumni that they'd twist the findings dictated that the report would be released publicly and the first time the board would see it would be the same time as everyone else.
Amazing how the public is now pushing these matters. Maybe it’s true that when the people lead, the leaders will follow, at least to a point.

You're right. Why should he be afraid to fire urban . they'll get a job new coach. OSU saves face and the legion of psychotic OSU fans will still turn up on Saturdays.

Urban going nowhere, why can’t people get this?
I doubt that he is, either. I still think there will be nothing other than maybe a public reprimand or suspension and apology and promise not to do it again, whatever it proves to be.

Honestly, I kind of hope they keep him just because I'm tired of every ESPN talking head and twitter/social media know-nothing trying to tell people what is and isn't acceptable. That's what led to the JoePa situation. If Urban didn't lie to his bosses and didn't break any laws then he should stay, and no outside entity should have any influence on it. If he stays and this incident happens to hurt recruiting going forward and game-planning for the early games in upcoming season I don't have a problem with that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT