ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Smails' Michigan post in the other thread warms my heart

Compare to Franklin. Harbaugh has been doing tricks for success in the short term with sleepovers, travel away, hiring high school coaches, national recruiting, and transfer QBs. Franklin has stated that he was going build the program for long-term success by building and maintaining relationships, regional priority, developing players, and few transfers.

In the beginning, Harbaugh had great success with his tactics in NJ. Now, Franklin is kicking his butt in NJ. And MSU is ruling the roost in Michigan. Will be interesting if Harbaugh changes his ways if he isn't able to bridge the gap with OSU (and PSU and MSU).

He's adding new tricks tho! Sweeeeeeet can openers in his khakis.

Jim-Harbaugh-Michigan-coach-does-can-opener-dive-into-pool-while-wearing-khakis.jpg

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Over reaction from some of their fans in my opinion. They have a lot of talent on that roster and they are a player or two a way from being good. (Especially at the QB spot) If it was back to back 8-5 seasons and back to back poor recruiting classes I would be worried if I was a Michigan fan.

Michigan is still Michigan. Penn State still has to go on the road and beat them next year. If PSU doens't beat them next season all these post from PSU fans in regards to state of Michigan football are going to look silly.

Beat Michigan on the Field. Shut up about anything else as far as I'm concerned. I won't be happy until Franklin and PSU both have a winning overall record against them.
You’re @michnittlion aren’t you?

@Count_von_Count would never lie, would he?

P.S. I never previously recalled your CVC title including “underscores”. Is that perhaps the combination of crosses, garlic and “other influences” got your predecessor “banned”? :)

Last edited:
His '17 and '16 classes were very good. If he solves his QB issue they will be a tough game every week. Patterson will be eligible in '18 (NCAA and B1G will make sure he is).
They still have a below average Oline and no skilll players that scare anyone. Tariq Black and People’s-Jones have talent but will have to make huge improvements to be difference makers.

Over reaction from some of their fans in my opinion. They have a lot of talent on that roster and they are a player or two a way from being good. (Especially at the QB spot) If it was back to back 8-5 seasons and back to back poor recruiting classes I would be worried if I was a Michigan fan.

Michigan is still Michigan. Penn State still has to go on the road and beat them next year. If PSU doens't beat them next season all these post from PSU fans in regards to state of Michigan football are going to look silly.

Beat Michigan on the Field. Shut up about anything else as far as I'm concerned. I won't be happy until Franklin and PSU both have a winning overall record against them.

It cannot be overstated how important a good QB is to a team. A great QB with leadership skills can cover up a lot of shortcomings for coaches. There aren't too many coaches in today's game who can have championship teams with average to below average QB play. If Harbaugh gets great QB play from that transfer QB next year, they will be tough to beat and all of their problems will be forgotten.

It cannot be overstated how important a good QB is to a team. A great QB with leadership skills can cover up a lot of shortcomings for coaches. There aren't too many coaches in today's game who can have championship teams with average to below average QB play. If Harbaugh gets great QB play from that transfer QB next year, they will be tough to beat and all of their problems will be forgotten.

Their recruiting process is a mess. Lack of hustle, lack of organization, mistake after mistake. A quarterback isn't going to fix that.

Reactions: Howie'81 and bmw199

Yeah. In a title drought.

It actually hurts Harbaugh to have crap like that out there. Expectations get raised way too high, just like this past year, and he looks like a failure.

No wonder nobody can ever succeed there.
I think Mich. plays ND in game 1. I predict 0 - 1 for the Wolvies.

I think Mich. plays ND in game 1. I predict 0 - 1 for the Wolvies.
Yeah, they also have Wisconsin as one of their cross-over games (Oct. 13 in Ann Arbor), along with Sparty, Penn State, and tOSU.

Distinct possibility of 5 losses. At Northwestern could be difficult, too.

That ND game is Saturday, Sept. 1 at 7:30 in South Bend.

http://gridironnow.com/tim-drevno-major-problems-jim-harbaugh/

Jim Harbaugh’s continued faith in Tim Drevno causing major problems at Michigan

It has not gone bad yet at Michigan but it could soon, multiple sources close to the program say, and the trouble points back to offensive coordinator Tim Drevno.

Jim Harbaugh has a credibility problem. He has a credibility problem with his players, his assistants and his bosses.

The credibility issue stems from Harbaugh’s unwillingness to get rid of Tim Drevno, who doubles as the offensive line coach, or at the least keep him away from the offensive line and play-calling duties. Sources said nobody inside Schembechler Hall can understand how Drevno remains employed.

Harbaugh is a loyal person and Drevno has been with him since their days at FCS member San Diego, but Drevno’s performance at Michigan has been subpar and isn’t going unnoticed. Players and other assistants are said to be dismayed that a guy who has generated so few results can keep Harbaugh’s confidence.

RELATED: Is Jim Harbaugh burned out at Michigan?

One source told me to look no further than the Greg Frey debacle for evidence of Tim Drevno’s negative impact on the program.

Frey, a renowned offensive tackle guru, was hired last year to work his magic on Michigan’s tight ends and tackles. But when fall camp started, Drevno (who was working with the interior lineman) told Frey, in so many words, “I’ll handle the offensive line.”

Harbaugh didn’t step in to correct the situation.

Frey consequently left the program following the season to join Willie Taggart at Florida State. He will be the lone offensive line coach at FSU, which is his alma mater.

Another insider said Michigan’s decision to move Drevno onto the field late last season was because he and passing game coordinator Pep Hamilton didn’t see eye-to-eye, which is also the reason that former quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch made a lateral move to join UCLA’s staff for the 2017 season.

“Drevno doesn’t get along with anybody, he’s paranoid, and doesn’t trust or earn trust,” my source said.

I’m also told by multiple sources that Harbaugh is suffering from a crisis of confidence because of his inability to make the correct moves to catapult Michigan into the national title race.

“If Harbaugh can get his offensive coaches in line, he can save this thing, but until he does, they will continue to struggle,” another insider said. “There are players in that locker room who don’t even know who their position coach is yet and that is a huge problem.

“Players, coaches, administrators and donors are losing confidence in Jim because he hasn’t made the right choice on ‘Drev.’ He’s losing confidence and control because of one guy.”

One former player said Harbaugh “could fix this problem by moving Drevno as far away from the offensive line as possible and naming Ed Warinner the offensive coordinator.”

Warinner was hired as a “senior offensive analyst” in January — and he received a two-year contract that pays $250,000 a year.

RELATED: 2018 will be the make-or-break year for Jim Harbaugh at Michigan

Warinner was Minnesota’s offensive line coach in 2017. Before that, he spent five seasons at Ohio State. He was Ohio State’s co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach from 2012-2014, the offensive coordinator/o-line coach in 2015 and the OC/tight ends coach in 2016.

“Look, there are three reasons last season went bad – the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator and the strength coach,” one insider said. “I can tell you the defensive coordinator and the strength coach weren’t the problem. All you have to do it watch the games to know where the breakdown is happening.”

Harbaugh chose to fire strength coach Kevin Tolbert, but sources say the players are upset about the move because they see Tolbert as the scapegoat for Tim Drevno’s bad offense.

“Pep Hamilton is another issue altogether,” the same source told me. “Pep is well-liked, but he isn’t like Jedd, who was a much better relationship-builder than Pep. Hamilton came in with all this NFL shit and didn’t take the time to talk to his players and learn about them, which explains the QB disconnect.

“Wilton Speight got along so well with Jedd Fisch that he wanted to follow him (as a grad transfer) if he got a college job, but since Jedd landed with the Rams, Wilton has no place to go. It’s no coincidence that Speight’s best season was under Jedd Fisch.”

While not all is lost – yet – it certainly appears that there have to be changes to this coaching staff and its handling of the talent on the roster. Keep an eye on any staff shuffling, as there are certain to be some interesting reassignments in the coming days.

No, the Harbuagh Era hasn’t gone bad just yet. But you will have a good idea where it is headed soon.

So what record will be good for Harbaugh? Because realistically he's looking at three to five losses between ND, OSU, PSU, Wisconsin, and MSU. I guess if he makes it through that with only two losses the base will be satisfied, but I'm guessing a lot of the good guys on that defense are gone after this year (hill, gary, at least one of the linebackers).

Being a great college football head coach is much more than calling your own plays on the sideline. If you can't create a strong organization, the fact that you carry around on the sideline and reference the chinese food menu doesn't mean much.

ReegsShannon
MGoPoints: 2498

The insider info that is out there is basically:

- Harbaugh was tired of hiring recruiting support guys who were looking to leave ASAP for assistant coaching jobs. We had a lot of guys over the past couple years who were great at recruiting but wanted to move up in the coaching ranks and jumped at the first opportunity (Tony Tuioti for example). So Harbaugh wanted a more stable recruiting framework.

- Harbaugh hired Sean Magee and Matt Dudek and gave them free reign to build their staff, and they wanted to create a "NFL-like" recruiting/scouting department. As a part of these changes, Magee and Dudek decided to move on from Gwen Bush during last summer.

It seems like that was a clear and obvious mistake, IMO.

Coldwater
MGoPoints: 6646

Matt Dudek hasn't brought anything to the table. I'm sure he's trying his best, but the results speak for themselves. Plus he's caught up in the rich rod sexual harassment situation too.

JFW
MGoPoints: 7925

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but I get worried sometimes when I hear about NFL principles being applied to CFB applications. They are two different worlds. I hope this works out.

brad
MGoPoints: 2510

Creating an NFL-like recruiting department is the obvious mistake.

maize-blue
MGoPoints: 28516

My wild ass theory is that they got wrapped up in evaluations and analyses of players that it was lost who was supposed to be point men for the recruits.

Mulitple players said UM simply went MIA in their recruitments.

maize-blue
MGoPoints: 28516

Some speculation said the people who left were really good relationship people while the new people were more analytical.

Who knows why there were multiple accounts by recruits of UM stopping communication.

Partidge was given the Recruiting Coordinator tag probably to oversee some of these recruiting procedures and to ensure that they don't fall off a cliff again.

A lot of things internally went screwy this season.

tspoon
MGoPoints: 662

No question that a lot of things did go screwy this season.

ak47
MGoPoints: 13231

Its almost like hiring all nfl people is a bad strategy in college. Hopefully Harbaugh learned his lesson.

Agree 100%....we are lucky to have Trace!

Reactions: WPB_lion
Did anyone read David Jones article yesterday on Wally Richardson? I rarely read his articles, but since it was on Richardson, I gave it a read. Was actually pretty good. One takeaway. WR went into detail on playing with Jim Harbaugh. Pretty much said Harbaugh was a big d*ck and not well liked.

It is apparent to outsiders of the Michigan program that something is very wrong there. I fully expected Michigan to finish strong last year with a young squad, setting them up for a good year in 2018. Instead, that team quit on multiple occasions, culminating in their bowl debacle against mighty South Carolina. Now, as Judge Smails points out below, Michigan insiders are acknowledging the same thing.

What is great about that Michigan insider's post is that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As soon as Michigan faces adversity in 2018, this post and others like it are going to take on a life of their own. I can't wait to see Michigan unravel further in 2018 and beyond.

Judge Smails wrote:

For those ball washing Harbaugh at Michigan and what a great coach he is....insiders from Michigan know what a MESS that program is right now.

The Elephant in the Room
→15Next >
Jim__S

.........we all know that the issues revolving around this team run much, much deeper and true frosh contributions are among the least of our problems. I spoke with many coaches at the AFCA, including several Wolverine staffers and former players and coaches. I asked questions, looked, learned and listened. There was a dynamic that made me feel uneasy with respect to both the current status and future direction of the program. Actually, very uneasy. This uneasiness emanates from several factors, some of which I will touch upon, others of which I will not. Suffice to say, I was on the brink of having a Darth Vader moment, and simply turning to the dark side when it comes to the program. I am an optimist by nature, especially as a Michigan fan, but as fans we sometimes see what we want to, or hope to see. Talking to coaches and people more connected to Ann Arbor, a different reality emerges. So where to begin? What to share in this posting and where to, shall we say, tread very lightly, if at all?

I guess the most logical place to start is with the Elephant in the Room. When Jim Harbaugh signed up to be head coach at Michigan there was a sense of inevitability amongst the fan base that he was the chosen one, the coach who would lead us to the promised land and etched in stone on the college football version of Mount Rushmore amongst the great current coaches, alongside the likes of Saban and Urban. The question was not if it would happen, but when. But here we are three years down the road coming off an 8-5 season. Yes, I expected a speed bump this season and was more pessimistic than most. That meant hoping for 10-2 and expecting 9-3, certainly not 8-5. The problem is that the losses were in good part due to issues that I do not expect to be resolved in the near future. Only so much of what we saw this season can be attributed to youth, especially on offense. Most of the responsibility, in my view, rests with the coaching staff. And Jim Harbaugh runs the show and the buck stops with him. That is the Elephant in the Room. Posing the question of what next IF Harbaugh fails, a possibility that seemed virtually impossible just months ago. We as fans have assigned blame to every staffer on the offensive side of the ball – Pep, Drevno, Jay and Frey. All of them have received their fair share of the heat. But the fact of the matter is that they were all hired by the same man, Jim Harbaugh, and for better or for worse he is accountable for what we saw on the field this season when it came to the offense.

Some people are hoping for Harbaugh to go out and hire another Don Brown to take control of the offense. This will not happen. Those people do not understand that Harbaugh is THE GUY when it comes to this offense. When Harbaugh was hired by Michigan, he was best known for his successful offensive coaching identity that had led to success at all his prior head coaching stops. A smash-mouth pro-style offense. An offensive line that dominates at the point of attack and creates space for backs to pick up nice chunks of yards often before even being touched. Tall, athletic QBs like Andrew Luck who know how to pick apart a secondary, especially through usage of the taller and physical array of tight ends. They are his schemes, he calls the plays (or at least has final veto power on them), and the kids that are being recruited on offense are being recruited to fit HIS scheme. He is not about to relinquish control over those responsibilities to an offensive version of Don Brown. Jim is the bossman on offense and that ain’t about to change. And that also may be why we may not see some of the coaching changes on offense that most are pining for. Lynch Drevno? Run Pep out of town. Tell Jay to get a job on his own? Anything, any measure that makes it seem as though steps are being taken by the almighty, Jim Harbaugh, to fix the problem. But what if he is the problem? What if the emperor has no clothes? What if what he did in his stops at Stanford and San Francisco can’t be replicated by him at Michigan, for whatever reason? We are all praying that is not the case, because if it is the alternative reality is downright scary. If Harbaughcan’t turn Michigan back into a major power, who can? Where do we go from here? I certainly don’t have the answers, but the question has to be posed. If he fails, will we turn into the next Nebraska, a formerly great program that we all know will never return to greatness given their location. Well folks, Michigan ain’t Georgia or Florida when it comes to talent, and the Rust Belt isn’t getting any better when it comes to producing blue-chip players.

So, yeah, I am asking about the Elephant in the Room, but why now, why not after the Ohio State or South Carolina loss? Anybody can go off on the sort of diatribe I have launched into thus far in this post without having any more concrete reasons than what has been seen in watching the games this season. Well, my answer is complicated in that I can only share so much in this post. Suffice to say, I have spoken to people close to the program and I have been far from comforted. Here are some of the comments I CAN share (the mild ones):

“I keep telling you. Michigan is in very bad shape. There are major problems at Michigan.”

“Same as usual……..It will be hard to win a championship with the same continued problems as every staff has had since Lloyd”

“We keep going through ADs and head coaches but have not figured out how to get the right assistants on both sides of the ball and put together a solid recruiting staff. You’ve got kids on the recruiting staff who are coming from Cincinnati and Navy. They have no clue when it comes to recruiting for a program like Michigan and it is starting to show”

“Martin screwed up royally hiring Rodriguez. I don’t think Harbaugh can turn it around. I honestly think that this could be a twenty-year recovery process”

“Michigan fans are nuts. They pretty much drove Lloyd out after he had gone to three Rose Bowls in five years. Now look at what they’ve got.”

“Harbaugh does not know how to recruit. He knows how to buy players within the rules. Hired Partridge and tapped into Gary, Singleton and other NJ kids. Hired Bush and got three kids from his school. Hired Biff and got Spanellis and had the other tackle before he flipped to Stanford. Hired Bam Richards who did not bring a lot of added value (J. Woods, K. Davis), so he was let go. Hired the Polynesian guy to tap into his connections. Give him credit because he was doing it within the rules, but the rules are changing and the screws are tightening on him. Plus the word gets out on how he operates. It is just not a sustainable model for success.”

“Recruiting was a disaster this year. They had to move on to many Plan B and Plan C types. The thing is, they think they can swoop in and land anybody they want when they want. That they are so smart and Michigan is so great. Confidence here, confidence there. Then they fail. They were SURE they had Isaiah Wilson and Najee last year. They can’t sleep on kids, they need to recruit like you play, through the whistle. I fear that hubris will be their downfall……..”

“Of course, with Harbaugh comes a certain image of a jackhammer who never stops working. Work ethic? If he is putting in so many hours how does he have time to watch full seasons of programs on Netflix? Working? Such as in his weekly podcast? His astute tweets. The first few years he did a great job of making Michigan a national brand again, especially in the off-season. The problem in so doing is that eventually you have to back up the “marketing” with on-the-field performance. Winning the off-season? Not a problem when you perform during the season. Perhaps work allocation is the issue. Perhaps he should be spending more time on working on offensive schematics and putting into place a quality offensive staff.”

Of course, once things head south on the win/loss column the knives come out in full force. I have factored this in. In fact, a couple of these people were already forewarning me of problems over a year ago when we were unbeaten. I did not listen.

Now, the scary thing is that I have not even gotten into the primary reasons why I have turned to the pessimistic side in terms of the direction of the program. Those are things I don’t want to talk about. No questions on that please. I pray that I am wrong
Yawn.

As a Penn State fan, I love it when UM or tOSU stumbles. As much as I love that Franklin’s done more with greater adversity in less time, I don’t think something is very wrong in Michigan land.

Harbaugh’s UM came up short in 2016. And yes he seems like a major personality liability. Otherwise, I see it more as greater on-field parity in the top 5-6 of the B1G. Let’s not Be too opinionated too early about the weakness of Harbaugh’s program or the problems in Ann’s Arboretum when we just lost Saquon and our starting secondary and TE and JoMo and Gattis and Huff. Reload? Sounds great. Count on them doing the same!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT