ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Smails' Michigan post in the other thread warms my heart

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
It is apparent to outsiders of the Michigan program that something is very wrong there. I fully expected Michigan to finish strong last year with a young squad, setting them up for a good year in 2018. Instead, that team quit on multiple occasions, culminating in their bowl debacle against mighty South Carolina. Now, as Judge Smails points out below, Michigan insiders are acknowledging the same thing.

What is great about that Michigan insider's post is that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As soon as Michigan faces adversity in 2018, this post and others like it are going to take on a life of their own. I can't wait to see Michigan unravel further in 2018 and beyond.

Judge Smails wrote:

For those ball washing Harbaugh at Michigan and what a great coach he is....insiders from Michigan know what a MESS that program is right now.

The Elephant in the Room
→15Next >
Jim__S

.........we all know that the issues revolving around this team run much, much deeper and true frosh contributions are among the least of our problems. I spoke with many coaches at the AFCA, including several Wolverine staffers and former players and coaches. I asked questions, looked, learned and listened. There was a dynamic that made me feel uneasy with respect to both the current status and future direction of the program. Actually, very uneasy. This uneasiness emanates from several factors, some of which I will touch upon, others of which I will not. Suffice to say, I was on the brink of having a Darth Vader moment, and simply turning to the dark side when it comes to the program. I am an optimist by nature, especially as a Michigan fan, but as fans we sometimes see what we want to, or hope to see. Talking to coaches and people more connected to Ann Arbor, a different reality emerges. So where to begin? What to share in this posting and where to, shall we say, tread very lightly, if at all?

I guess the most logical place to start is with the Elephant in the Room. When Jim Harbaugh signed up to be head coach at Michigan there was a sense of inevitability amongst the fan base that he was the chosen one, the coach who would lead us to the promised land and etched in stone on the college football version of Mount Rushmore amongst the great current coaches, alongside the likes of Saban and Urban. The question was not if it would happen, but when. But here we are three years down the road coming off an 8-5 season. Yes, I expected a speed bump this season and was more pessimistic than most. That meant hoping for 10-2 and expecting 9-3, certainly not 8-5. The problem is that the losses were in good part due to issues that I do not expect to be resolved in the near future. Only so much of what we saw this season can be attributed to youth, especially on offense. Most of the responsibility, in my view, rests with the coaching staff. And Jim Harbaugh runs the show and the buck stops with him. That is the Elephant in the Room. Posing the question of what next IF Harbaugh fails, a possibility that seemed virtually impossible just months ago. We as fans have assigned blame to every staffer on the offensive side of the ball – Pep, Drevno, Jay and Frey. All of them have received their fair share of the heat. But the fact of the matter is that they were all hired by the same man, Jim Harbaugh, and for better or for worse he is accountable for what we saw on the field this season when it came to the offense.

Some people are hoping for Harbaugh to go out and hire another Don Brown to take control of the offense. This will not happen. Those people do not understand that Harbaugh is THE GUY when it comes to this offense. When Harbaugh was hired by Michigan, he was best known for his successful offensive coaching identity that had led to success at all his prior head coaching stops. A smash-mouth pro-style offense. An offensive line that dominates at the point of attack and creates space for backs to pick up nice chunks of yards often before even being touched. Tall, athletic QBs like Andrew Luck who know how to pick apart a secondary, especially through usage of the taller and physical array of tight ends. They are his schemes, he calls the plays (or at least has final veto power on them), and the kids that are being recruited on offense are being recruited to fit HIS scheme. He is not about to relinquish control over those responsibilities to an offensive version of Don Brown. Jim is the bossman on offense and that ain’t about to change. And that also may be why we may not see some of the coaching changes on offense that most are pining for. Lynch Drevno? Run Pep out of town. Tell Jay to get a job on his own? Anything, any measure that makes it seem as though steps are being taken by the almighty, Jim Harbaugh, to fix the problem. But what if he is the problem? What if the emperor has no clothes? What if what he did in his stops at Stanford and San Francisco can’t be replicated by him at Michigan, for whatever reason? We are all praying that is not the case, because if it is the alternative reality is downright scary. If Harbaughcan’t turn Michigan back into a major power, who can? Where do we go from here? I certainly don’t have the answers, but the question has to be posed. If he fails, will we turn into the next Nebraska, a formerly great program that we all know will never return to greatness given their location. Well folks, Michigan ain’t Georgia or Florida when it comes to talent, and the Rust Belt isn’t getting any better when it comes to producing blue-chip players.

So, yeah, I am asking about the Elephant in the Room, but why now, why not after the Ohio State or South Carolina loss? Anybody can go off on the sort of diatribe I have launched into thus far in this post without having any more concrete reasons than what has been seen in watching the games this season. Well, my answer is complicated in that I can only share so much in this post. Suffice to say, I have spoken to people close to the program and I have been far from comforted. Here are some of the comments I CAN share (the mild ones):

“I keep telling you. Michigan is in very bad shape. There are major problems at Michigan.”

“Same as usual……..It will be hard to win a championship with the same continued problems as every staff has had since Lloyd”

“We keep going through ADs and head coaches but have not figured out how to get the right assistants on both sides of the ball and put together a solid recruiting staff. You’ve got kids on the recruiting staff who are coming from Cincinnati and Navy. They have no clue when it comes to recruiting for a program like Michigan and it is starting to show”

“Martin screwed up royally hiring Rodriguez. I don’t think Harbaugh can turn it around. I honestly think that this could be a twenty-year recovery process”

“Michigan fans are nuts. They pretty much drove Lloyd out after he had gone to three Rose Bowls in five years. Now look at what they’ve got.”

“Harbaugh does not know how to recruit. He knows how to buy players within the rules. Hired Partridge and tapped into Gary, Singleton and other NJ kids. Hired Bush and got three kids from his school. Hired Biff and got Spanellis and had the other tackle before he flipped to Stanford. Hired Bam Richards who did not bring a lot of added value (J. Woods, K. Davis), so he was let go. Hired the Polynesian guy to tap into his connections. Give him credit because he was doing it within the rules, but the rules are changing and the screws are tightening on him. Plus the word gets out on how he operates. It is just not a sustainable model for success.”

“Recruiting was a disaster this year. They had to move on to many Plan B and Plan C types. The thing is, they think they can swoop in and land anybody they want when they want. That they are so smart and Michigan is so great. Confidence here, confidence there. Then they fail. They were SURE they had Isaiah Wilson and Najee last year. They can’t sleep on kids, they need to recruit like you play, through the whistle. I fear that hubris will be their downfall……..”

“Of course, with Harbaugh comes a certain image of a jackhammer who never stops working. Work ethic? If he is putting in so many hours how does he have time to watch full seasons of programs on Netflix? Working? Such as in his weekly podcast? His astute tweets. The first few years he did a great job of making Michigan a national brand again, especially in the off-season. The problem in so doing is that eventually you have to back up the “marketing” with on-the-field performance. Winning the off-season? Not a problem when you perform during the season. Perhaps work allocation is the issue. Perhaps he should be spending more time on working on offensive schematics and putting into place a quality offensive staff.”

Of course, once things head south on the win/loss column the knives come out in full force. I have factored this in. In fact, a couple of these people were already forewarning me of problems over a year ago when we were unbeaten. I did not listen.

Now, the scary thing is that I have not even gotten into the primary reasons why I have turned to the pessimistic side in terms of the direction of the program. Those are things I don’t want to talk about. No questions on that please. I pray that I am wrong

Michigan fans are nuts. They pretty much drove Lloyd out after he had gone to three Rose Bowls in five years. Now look at what they’ve got.

To put it more precisely than “nuts”, Michigan fans are delusional. What they think they are they haven’t been in a long, long time.

That would be extremely unfortunate, and I hope not the case. But still, unless the poster is a family member, or the poster is a member of the clergy, I'm not sure it rises to level of something that he'd "pray" about.

Just a weird choice of phrase. It certainly suggests something quite significant and quite negative.

Michigan fans are nuts. They pretty much drove Lloyd out after he had gone to three Rose Bowls in five years. Now look at what they’ve got.

To put it more precisely than “nuts”, Michigan fans are delusional. What they think they are they haven’t been in a long, long time.

The other thing they are is front runners, both the fans and the players. Michigan players were strutting all over the field against South Carolina when they were winning. Not the greatest "culture" to promote, particularly for a young team. It starts at the top.

As an FYI, Michigan has NOT won a B10 championship since 2004!
Ohio State has won 7.
Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Penn State have each won 3.
Don't forget, since before they started playing the Championship game, there were years of co-champs.

It's not just the fans. Even the writers who cover the team suffer from the same affliction. Chris Balas, one of those Rivals writers for The Wolverine, in one of those podcasts where he says the 2018 Wolverines are behind only OSU in talent, says that Soph WR Tarik Black will be All Big Ten in 2018.

He looks like a talented player, good looking freshman. Here are his stats before he was hurt:

3 games
11 catches
149 yards
1 touchdown
13.5 ypc

Good start. How you get from that to All Big Ten takes a Michigan Man's delusion.

Over reaction from some of their fans in my opinion. They have a lot of talent on that roster and they are a player or two a way from being good. (Especially at the QB spot) If it was back to back 8-5 seasons and back to back poor recruiting classes I would be worried if I was a Michigan fan.

Michigan is still Michigan. Penn State still has to go on the road and beat them next year. If PSU doens't beat them next season all these post from PSU fans in regards to state of Michigan football are going to look silly.

Beat Michigan on the Field. Shut up about anything else as far as I'm concerned. I won't be happy until Franklin and PSU both have a winning overall record against them.

The other thing they are is front runners, both the fans and the players. Michigan players were strutting all over the field against South Carolina when they were winning. Not the greatest "culture" to promote, particularly for a young team. It starts at the top.

Don't all teams behave like that when winning? If PSU scores a TD, our players go crazy in celebration. I watched the Michigan/USC game and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except the crotch grab by Quinn Sleepover Nordin.

Reactions: Nittany Security
The recruiting comments are very interesting and telling - I wasn't aware it took hiring coaches to get Harbaugh talent. He simply thought his name and antics would bring Michigan victories via osmosis; he's finding out it takes hard work, and we have the hardest working guy in college football.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I live in Michigan and this seems to be his make or break year. Another 8-5 and maybe he gets one more year. I personally think they will be a tough out this year and win 10 games if Shea Patterson plays.

What Michigan fans remember was a long winning streak in the '90's against OSU during the John Cooper years (pre Tressel) before OSU was considered "elite" including a NC season. Those memories are imbedded in their collective phyche and only reenforce visions of superiority, after all Michigan is No. 1 in all time wins.

When in reality what has Michigan really accomplished beginning with Bo? For all those BIG championships they won during the era of "the big two and little eight" they usually laid an egg in the Rose Bowl. I grew up in the '70's and '80's and it was down right comical watching a Top 5 Michigan team lose annually to USC, UCLA or Washington. Can you say, overrated?

So what has Michigan really accomplished in the past since the start of the Bo Schembechler era? Other than Lloyd Carr's elite years ('97-'04), not much. Paul Finnebaum said as much when he called the Univ of Michigan "the most overrated program in college football history".

Last edited:
Actually, it is Paris.

No kidding. It is.

Paris in the spring!

80pY.gif

It is apparent to outsiders of the Michigan program that something is very wrong there. I fully expected Michigan to finish strong last year with a young squad, setting them up for a good year in 2018. Instead, that team quit on multiple occasions, culminating in their bowl debacle against mighty South Carolina. Now, as Judge Smails points out below, Michigan insiders are acknowledging the same thing.

What is great about that Michigan insider's post is that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As soon as Michigan faces adversity in 2018, this post and others like it are going to take on a life of their own. I can't wait to see Michigan unravel further in 2018 and beyond.

Judge Smails wrote:

For those ball washing Harbaugh at Michigan and what a great coach he is....insiders from Michigan know what a MESS that program is right now.

The Elephant in the Room
→15Next >
Jim__S

.........we all know that the issues revolving around this team run much, much deeper and true frosh contributions are among the least of our problems. I spoke with many coaches at the AFCA, including several Wolverine staffers and former players and coaches. I asked questions, looked, learned and listened. There was a dynamic that made me feel uneasy with respect to both the current status and future direction of the program. Actually, very uneasy. This uneasiness emanates from several factors, some of which I will touch upon, others of which I will not. Suffice to say, I was on the brink of having a Darth Vader moment, and simply turning to the dark side when it comes to the program. I am an optimist by nature, especially as a Michigan fan, but as fans we sometimes see what we want to, or hope to see. Talking to coaches and people more connected to Ann Arbor, a different reality emerges. So where to begin? What to share in this posting and where to, shall we say, tread very lightly, if at all?

I guess the most logical place to start is with the Elephant in the Room. When Jim Harbaugh signed up to be head coach at Michigan there was a sense of inevitability amongst the fan base that he was the chosen one, the coach who would lead us to the promised land and etched in stone on the college football version of Mount Rushmore amongst the great current coaches, alongside the likes of Saban and Urban. The question was not if it would happen, but when. But here we are three years down the road coming off an 8-5 season. Yes, I expected a speed bump this season and was more pessimistic than most. That meant hoping for 10-2 and expecting 9-3, certainly not 8-5. The problem is that the losses were in good part due to issues that I do not expect to be resolved in the near future. Only so much of what we saw this season can be attributed to youth, especially on offense. Most of the responsibility, in my view, rests with the coaching staff. And Jim Harbaugh runs the show and the buck stops with him. That is the Elephant in the Room. Posing the question of what next IF Harbaugh fails, a possibility that seemed virtually impossible just months ago. We as fans have assigned blame to every staffer on the offensive side of the ball – Pep, Drevno, Jay and Frey. All of them have received their fair share of the heat. But the fact of the matter is that they were all hired by the same man, Jim Harbaugh, and for better or for worse he is accountable for what we saw on the field this season when it came to the offense.

Some people are hoping for Harbaugh to go out and hire another Don Brown to take control of the offense. This will not happen. Those people do not understand that Harbaugh is THE GUY when it comes to this offense. When Harbaugh was hired by Michigan, he was best known for his successful offensive coaching identity that had led to success at all his prior head coaching stops. A smash-mouth pro-style offense. An offensive line that dominates at the point of attack and creates space for backs to pick up nice chunks of yards often before even being touched. Tall, athletic QBs like Andrew Luck who know how to pick apart a secondary, especially through usage of the taller and physical array of tight ends. They are his schemes, he calls the plays (or at least has final veto power on them), and the kids that are being recruited on offense are being recruited to fit HIS scheme. He is not about to relinquish control over those responsibilities to an offensive version of Don Brown. Jim is the bossman on offense and that ain’t about to change. And that also may be why we may not see some of the coaching changes on offense that most are pining for. Lynch Drevno? Run Pep out of town. Tell Jay to get a job on his own? Anything, any measure that makes it seem as though steps are being taken by the almighty, Jim Harbaugh, to fix the problem. But what if he is the problem? What if the emperor has no clothes? What if what he did in his stops at Stanford and San Francisco can’t be replicated by him at Michigan, for whatever reason? We are all praying that is not the case, because if it is the alternative reality is downright scary. If Harbaughcan’t turn Michigan back into a major power, who can? Where do we go from here? I certainly don’t have the answers, but the question has to be posed. If he fails, will we turn into the next Nebraska, a formerly great program that we all know will never return to greatness given their location. Well folks, Michigan ain’t Georgia or Florida when it comes to talent, and the Rust Belt isn’t getting any better when it comes to producing blue-chip players.

So, yeah, I am asking about the Elephant in the Room, but why now, why not after the Ohio State or South Carolina loss? Anybody can go off on the sort of diatribe I have launched into thus far in this post without having any more concrete reasons than what has been seen in watching the games this season. Well, my answer is complicated in that I can only share so much in this post. Suffice to say, I have spoken to people close to the program and I have been far from comforted. Here are some of the comments I CAN share (the mild ones):

“I keep telling you. Michigan is in very bad shape. There are major problems at Michigan.”

“Same as usual……..It will be hard to win a championship with the same continued problems as every staff has had since Lloyd”

“We keep going through ADs and head coaches but have not figured out how to get the right assistants on both sides of the ball and put together a solid recruiting staff. You’ve got kids on the recruiting staff who are coming from Cincinnati and Navy. They have no clue when it comes to recruiting for a program like Michigan and it is starting to show”

“Martin screwed up royally hiring Rodriguez. I don’t think Harbaugh can turn it around. I honestly think that this could be a twenty-year recovery process”

“Michigan fans are nuts. They pretty much drove Lloyd out after he had gone to three Rose Bowls in five years. Now look at what they’ve got.”

“Harbaugh does not know how to recruit. He knows how to buy players within the rules. Hired Partridge and tapped into Gary, Singleton and other NJ kids. Hired Bush and got three kids from his school. Hired Biff and got Spanellis and had the other tackle before he flipped to Stanford. Hired Bam Richards who did not bring a lot of added value (J. Woods, K. Davis), so he was let go. Hired the Polynesian guy to tap into his connections. Give him credit because he was doing it within the rules, but the rules are changing and the screws are tightening on him. Plus the word gets out on how he operates. It is just not a sustainable model for success.”

“Recruiting was a disaster this year. They had to move on to many Plan B and Plan C types. The thing is, they think they can swoop in and land anybody they want when they want. That they are so smart and Michigan is so great. Confidence here, confidence there. Then they fail. They were SURE they had Isaiah Wilson and Najee last year. They can’t sleep on kids, they need to recruit like you play, through the whistle. I fear that hubris will be their downfall……..”

“Of course, with Harbaugh comes a certain image of a jackhammer who never stops working. Work ethic? If he is putting in so many hours how does he have time to watch full seasons of programs on Netflix? Working? Such as in his weekly podcast? His astute tweets. The first few years he did a great job of making Michigan a national brand again, especially in the off-season. The problem in so doing is that eventually you have to back up the “marketing” with on-the-field performance. Winning the off-season? Not a problem when you perform during the season. Perhaps work allocation is the issue. Perhaps he should be spending more time on working on offensive schematics and putting into place a quality offensive staff.”

Of course, once things head south on the win/loss column the knives come out in full force. I have factored this in. In fact, a couple of these people were already forewarning me of problems over a year ago when we were unbeaten. I did not listen.

Now, the scary thing is that I have not even gotten into the primary reasons why I have turned to the pessimistic side in terms of the direction of the program. Those are things I don’t want to talk about. No questions on that please. I pray that I am wrong

But...but...the players are going to Paris ?! That has to account for something...to heck with beating OSU , or Winning the Big 10...I mean..VIVA LA FRANCE !

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
If you want a good laugh, listen to this. Mel Kiper has Michigan at 6th next year with no mention of Penn State by either of them. I hope the link works. It's only 10 minutes long.

Listen Now http://es.pn/2EgQ02q
Share via http://es.pn/app
Just like after the '16 season, even having to replace 18 starters and 43 seniors many in the media picked Michigan preseason Top 10.:confused: And so it begins a new year, lol. Its as if the media has "collective" amnesia having witnessed another miserable bowl loss.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Michigan is still Michigan. Penn State still has to go on the road and beat them next year. If PSU doens't beat them next season all these post from PSU fans in regards to state of Michigan football are going to look silly.

Beat Michigan on the Field. Shut up about anything else as far as I'm concerned. I won't be happy until Franklin and PSU both have a winning overall record against them.

So we won't be hearing from you for a while? Sad.

I'll miss wisdom like "Michigan is still Michigan", whatever that means in terms of college football.

Reactions: Howie'81
Compare to Franklin. Harbaugh has been doing tricks for success in the short term with sleepovers, travel away, hiring high school coaches, national recruiting, and transfer QBs. Franklin has stated that he was going build the program for long-term success by building and maintaining relationships, regional priority, developing players, and few transfers.

In the beginning, Harbaugh had great success with his tactics in NJ. Now, Franklin is kicking his butt in NJ. And MSU is ruling the roost in Michigan. Will be interesting if Harbaugh changes his ways if he isn't able to bridge the gap with OSU (and PSU and MSU).

Reactions: TheGLOV
So we won't be hearing from you for a while? Sad.

I'll miss wisdom like "Michigan is still Michigan", whatever that means in terms of college football.
The guy's a Michigan fan, and if we lose to them this year, he'll be the first to reminds us on here, "Michigan is still Michigan".

Reactions: Howie'81 and royboy
I think the poster had it right on the offense. They have always been good with pocket QB's smash mouth OL and good TE's. That seems tougher to pull off these days.
Also they have a lot of Off starters returning but we have seen bringing back a subpar OL doesn't make them magically better. I still see at least 3 losses [before the bowl games]

If you want a good laugh, listen to this. Mel Kiper has Michigan at 6th next year with no mention of Penn State by either of them. I hope the link works. It's only 10 minutes long.

Listen Now http://es.pn/2EgQ02q
Share via http://es.pn/app

That’s why PSU needs to beat them more often. Need a good win Streak against them. That’s the only way to conquer a media darling.

His '17 and '16 classes were very good. If he solves his QB issue they will be a tough game every week. Patterson will be eligible in '18 (NCAA and B1G will make sure he is).

Reactions: acg116
That’s why PSU needs to beat them more often. Need a good win Streak against them. That’s the only way to conquer a media darling.

You're an idiot or a troll. If you would get your head out of your ass, you would see what everyone else sees. michigan under hairball is no longer a "media darling". It is clear that the media is far more favorable towards Penn State and Franklin. The reasons should be obvious.

Reactions: Howie'81 and royboy
ADVERTISEMENT