ADVERTISEMENT

Journeymen Collegiate Classic, Nov. 12 Bethlehem Freedom High

Eight wrestlers ranked in the top three in their respective weight classes is insane!

Some very intriguing matchups ... if they happen. Top must see? 285. Kerk v. Schultz. I doubt it happens but would be must-see. They haven't wrestled since Kerk's freshman NCAA appearance. The team dual in 2022 involved a duck.

anybody know of an approximate schedule for this? all i'm able to find on the website is that wrestling begins at 9am. i'm taking my 5yo and i'm sure that he wouldn't be able to last the whole day so trying to figure out when the finals are going to start and then work back from there.

thanks in advance.

Reactions: hlstone
anybody know of an approximate schedule for this? all i'm able to find on the website is that wrestling begins at 9am. i'm taking my 5yo and i'm sure that he wouldn't be able to last the whole day so trying to figure out when the finals are going to start and then work back from there.

thanks in advance.

Not sure there will be anything like "finals". This is from their email (basically saying "stay away!"):
This event has very limited seating: 600 total tickets. Fifty percent of the seating opportunities are in the bleachers, while the remaining 50% of the spectating opportunities is via standing room only mat side. This tournament is built for the teams and competition oriented, not spectator driven. The format is modified round robin bracketing - not a traditional championship bracket. Essentially 6 to 8 evenly matched competitors are positioned in a modified round robin bracket : 3 on one side and three on the other . Guaranteeing each competitor 3 to four matches . That said there will be some unbelievable wrestling and marque national level match ups peppered throughout the day. In the end this setting will be very similar to the Bill Farrell (NYAC) Freestyle tournament. 17 teams will participate on 8 mats ( the lower gym), 2 mats in the upper gym. We just want to make sure expectation are met and you understand the setting in advance. ||Finally theres also a D-1 dual meet tournament at Library HS on Saturday Nov 11, 2023 .

Not sure there will be anything like "finals". This is from their email (basically saying "stay away!"):

yes, i got that email. i interpreted it to mean 2-3 matches in the round robin part and then 1 crossover match against the same ranked placer from another pool which i was thinking would be more or less "the finals"

Reactions: dbldoofus
Does anyone know what mat is assigned for Carton vs Pletcher? 😈
mat_number_decal_1.jpg

FYI: Cornell top entries include both Greg Diakomihalis and Brett Ungar at 125, Vito at 133, Cornella at 141, Shapiro at 157, Ramirez at 165, Fernandes at 285.

No idea how they are going to pool the top entries from each team.

Reactions: CholleyVandine
FYI: Cornell top entries include both Greg Diakomihalis and Brett Ungar at 125, Vito at 133, Cornella at 141, Shapiro at 157, Ramirez at 165, Fernandes at 285.

No idea how they are going to pool the top entries from each team.

Weight on one hand, age on the other, line up around the mats?

Reactions: hlstone
I assume they will avoid SVN vs Parco and Haines vs Teemer since they are scheduled to meet at the NWCA all-star classic

Sorry!! I soon as I asked, I clicked on article.

Hopefully MM gets a match with Ramirez

I wish Haines was in same pool with Shapiro..could be potential NCAA finals match

A little help here guys, just to interpret this news correctly. This tourney counts as an official 'attached' event correct?

If so, then the decision has been made, Alex is taking the Oly RS. I guess we can assume there was a wrestleoff(s) and the result complelling?

Only the'true' freshman like Kasak can go and use this as one of their 5. Neither MM or AF have that luxury.

Truth be told, as jazzed as I am for the prospect of watching MM, and a storybook March at 165, I was hoping for Alex. I think last year was an aberration. I prefer harmony and greatness in the room over, seeking an elusive points record, at the expense of culture. If anyone can manage this it's Cael for sure. I am both bummed and elated, but my fingers are now crossed.

I really hope Alex is fully committed to the year off, and just killing it at 174 next year and beyond. If this ruffles his feathers or Mich tosses a lot of money around once again this off season, both he and his best friend Barr could be a painful package deal, returning to their roots in Michigan. Don't discount the fact that Barr has to think about Ryder on his heals at 184. The Portal can cut both ways.

A little help here guys, just to interpret this news correctly. This tourney counts as an official 'attached' event correct?

If so, then the decision has been made, Alex is taking the Oly RS. I guess we can assume there was a wrestleoff(s) and the result complelling?

Only the'true' freshman like Kasak can go and use this as one of their 5. Neither MM or AF have that luxury.

Truth be told as jazzed as I am for the prospect of watching MM, and a storybook March at 165; I was hoping for Alex. I think last year was an aberration. I prefer harmony and greatness in the room over, seeking an elusive points record. I am both bummed and elated, but my fingers are now crossed.

I really hope Alex is fully committed to the year off, and just killing it at 174 next year and beyond. If this ruffles his feathers or Mich tosses a lot of money around once again this off season, both he and his best friend Barr could be a painful package deal, returning to their roots in Michigan. Don't discount the fact that Barr has to think about Ryder on his heals at 184. The Portal can cut both ways.
"Attached" means the team paid for the trip. There have been numerous past events where we sent both attached and unattached wrestlers.

Some events (Penn tourney) only accept attached wrestlers. It's not clear that this is one if those -- and last year's participants list implies it's not. Flo's article does not address this.

We may not really know for certain until they step on the mat. If they're wearing a PSU singlet or the PSU coaches are in their corner, they're attached.

141 should have some good early-season match-ups for Bartlett with Composto, Cornella, and Vasquez in his pool. Vito, McGonagle, and Colaiocco at 133 should be good. Interested to see how Shapiro does against Teemer. The rest of our guys aren't going to have much of an issue, but it'll be good to knock the rust off. Hidlay and Beard at 197 would be worth watching.

Reactions: danoftw

Truth be told, as jazzed as I am for the prospect of watching MM, and a storybook March at 165, I was hoping for Alex. I think last year was an aberration. I prefer harmony and greatness in the room over, seeking an elusive points record, at the expense of culture. If anyone can manage this it's Cael for sure. I am both bummed and elated, but my fingers are now crossed.

You are correct in your assessment re: ORS.

Think that decision has been made.

As for Facundo, I don’t think what he does has any affect on Barr at all.

Reactions: Ja1339
"Attached" means the team paid for the trip. There have been numerous past events where we sent both attached and unattached wrestlers.

Some events (Penn tourney) only accept attached wrestlers. It's not clear that this is one if those -- and last year's participants list implies it's not. Flo's article does not address this.

We may not really know for certain until they step on the mat. If they're wearing a PSU singlet or the PSU coaches are in their corner, they're attached.
There are no unattached wrestlers allowed at this tournament, I believe.

I've been burned by flo too many times. I've said never again twice now. Having said that, third times a charm? I just can't stay away from watching 🤼‍♀️. Can anybody confirm the "flo bowling " trick still works? I'm only giving them 30 bucks and not a penny more. 😤

As far as wrestlers going as attached or unattached, I don’t think Penn State would put a guy on the participation list if he was going to a tournament unattached.

I hope Facundo and Barr stay at Penn State for their whole careers, but I also I’m not gonna sweat if somebody transfers. Especially if the guy gets beat out by someone else on the roster.

These sort of situations were more tricky in the non-portal era, but Penn State can fill any weight, any off-season it wants. Cael has to turn kids away, not be looking for them.

It’s why I am not concerned about 197 next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT