ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Lee pins Jarod Verkleeren

Here is the link to the match if you have FloPro:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/974472-66-kg-consolation-jarod-verkleeren-blue-vs-joe-lee-red

For those of you that don't, it was 5-4 Lee with about a minute to go when Verkleeren attempted a double overs throw and Lee countered and got the fall. Lee had a couple of nice leg attacks, one which resulted in a pushout, the other with a quick TD followed by a leg lace for his points. Verkleeren had a go behind off a poor Lee shot and a leg lace for his.

Lee was taller than Verkleeren even though he wrestled a weight class below him this year. Maybe looking at a 57/65 by the time he gets here, which would work out nice and have him slot in for Nolf after a RS year. I've been saying for a while that these guys have been an under the radar pickup given the fanfare we've seen for Hall, Suriano, Lee, Teasdale, etc. The two brothers are going to be right up there.

Reactions: Ja1339
Indy do you have any insight into the lee s training? meaning are they in a club, do they travel out of state much, etc, etc.

They seem to have good motors and instincts but appear raw even at the elite level. Their ceilings just have a feeling to me of being higher than I thought previously. But I have to admit I dont have my thumb on IU wrestling to gauge properly.

TIA

Reactions: lionlover
Indy do you have any insight into the lee s training? meaning are they in a club, do they travel out of state much, etc, etc.

They seem to have good motors and instincts but appear raw even at the elite level. Their ceilings just have a feeling to me of being higher than I thought previously. But I have to admit I dont have my thumb on IU wrestling to gauge properly.

IU wrestling???

They live and wrestle down in Evansville, IN so they are 3 hours away from Indy. I don't get to see them wrestle much here in the Indy area. They wrestle at Mater Dei HS, a wrestling powerhouse in Indiana.

They are also part of Miron Kharchilava's club, you can read more here: http://www.mironwrestling.com/

I'm not sure how much they wrestle outside Indiana during freestyle season. As for Indiana wrestling, it is not equal to PA but getting better and better every year. There are several elite clubs and coaches here now and we are getting more kids going to BIG10 schools to wrestle.

Indiana has a single class in wrestling so you have to wrestle the best to be a state champion.

TIA

They live and wrestle down in Evansville, IN so they are 3 hours away from Indy. I don't get to see them wrestle much here in the Indy area. They wrestle at Mater Dei HS, a wrestling powerhouse in Indiana.

They are also part of Miron Kharchilava's club, you can read more here: http://www.mironwrestling.com/

I'm not sure how much they wrestle outside Indiana during freestyle season. As for Indiana wrestling, it is not equal to PA but getting better and better every year. There are several elite clubs and coaches here now and we are getting more kids going to BIG10 schools to wrestle.

Indiana has a single class in wrestling so you have to wrestle the best to be a state champion.

Sweet intel; thanks, Indy!

Man, I used to kick azz in geography, and during a semester in Austria in 1992, once memorized the capitals of all the former Soviet republics. But Abkhazia was never on my radar, and I just had to look it up. So Coach Miron hails from there, a now-recognized independent republic in between Russia, Georgia and the Black Sea. Super interesting bio on his website; checkit:

Kharchilava came to the United States in 1991 from the country of Abkhazia, which was formerly a part of the Soviet Union . Before arriving in America , he was a member of the Soviet National team from 1985 to 1991. He won the Soviet Junior National Championship at 149.5 pounds in 1986. Kharchilava was a silver medalist at the Medved International in 1989 and the Soviet University National Champion at 163 pounds in 1990. Since his arrival in the U.S. in 1991, Kharchilava has won the Michigan Open (1992), Sunkist International (1992) and was the U.S. Open International Champion (1994). In 1992 Kharchilava was extended a special invitation to train at the Olympic Training Camp at the Foxcatcher Farms. He also was invited to the 1993 World Team Camp in Colorado Springs . Kharchilava counts among his victories, wins over Nate Carr (1988 Olympic bronze medalist), Matt Demaray (U.S. World team member), Pat Santoro (two-time NCAA champion and currently Head Coach at University of Maryland), Casey Cunningham (1997 NCAA Div 1 Champ and current assistant coach at Central Michigan University), and Troy Sunderland (NCAA champion and current head coach at Penn State ). Kharchilava finished first at 152 in the Northeast Regional in Brockport , N.Y. , and the New York International before placing third at the Dave Schultz International in 2001. His third- place finish qualified him for the World Team Trials where he finished in the Top 5. Kharchilava was able to compete in the trials for the United States after gaining his citizenship only three days earlier.
Looks like his last competition as a wrestler was a 1995 NAIA National Championship, after which he turned to coaching.

I'll definitely be paying more attention to that club. Thanks again, Indy!

Last edited:
Reactions: T J
Sweet intel; thanks, Indy!

Man, I used to kick azz in geography, and during a semester in Austria in 1992, once memorized the capitals of all the former Soviet republics. But Abkhazia was never on my radar, and I just had to look it up. So Coach Miron hails from there, a now-recognized independent republic in between Russia, Georgia and the Black Sea. Super interesting bio on his website; checkit:

Kharchilava came to the United States in 1991 from the country of Abkhazia, which was formerly a part of the Soviet Union . Before arriving in America , he was a member of the Soviet National team from 1985 to 1991. He won the Soviet Junior National Championship at 149.5 pounds in 1986. Kharchilava was a silver medalist at the Medved International in 1989 and the Soviet University National Champion at 163 pounds in 1990. Since his arrival in the U.S. in 1991, Kharchilava has won the Michigan Open (1992), Sunkist International (1992) and was the U.S. Open International Champion (1994). In 1992 Kharchilava was extended a special invitation to train at the Olympic Training Camp at the Foxcatcher Farms. He also was invited to the 1993 World Team Camp in Colorado Springs . Kharchilava counts among his victories, wins over Nate Carr (1988 Olympic bronze medalist), Matt Demaray (U.S. World team member), Pat Santoro (two-time NCAA champion and currently Head Coach at University of Maryland), Casey Cunningham (1997 NCAA Div 1 Champ and current assistant coach at Central Michigan University), and Troy Sunderland (NCAA champion and current head coach at Penn State ). Kharchilava finished first at 152 in the Northeast Regional in Brockport , N.Y. , and the New York International before placing third at the Dave Schultz International in 2001. His third- place finish qualified him for the World Team Trials where he finished in the Top 5. Kharchilava was able to compete in the trials for the United States after gaining his citizenship only three days earlier.
Looks like his last competition as a wrestler was a 1995 NAIA National Championship, after which he turned to coaching.

I'll definitely be paying more attention to that club. Thanks again, Indy!

+1 great Intel !!

Reactions: T J
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT