ADVERTISEMENT

J'Den Cox will wrestle at World Team Trials

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
It's official: Olympic bronze medalist J'Den Cox will be wrestling at the 2017 World Team Trials in Lincoln, Nebraska. The three-time NCAA champ sits in the best-of-three finals LIVE on Flo on June 10th.

Now that Cox is wrestling, that means David Taylor will have to go through the challenge tournament. Taylor, who went to Rio to be J'Den's training partner for the Olympics, rolled through the U.S. Open last weekend. He won OW after pinning his first opponent and then teching his next four opponents, including a 10-0 win over Richard Perry in the finals.

On his way to being our Olympian last year, Cox and Taylor did not meet. Along with Kyle Dake wrestling Jordan Burroughs two or three more times, this is one of the most highly anticipated finals series for WTT.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/55681-j-den-cox-to-wrestle-in-2017-world-team-trials

I'm looking forward to DT vs Cox. Don't think DT should have any trouble working through the qualifying rounds. Cox will be fresh, but my money would still be on David! He's looking great!

I didn't read the article, but I would assume this means that Cox is not playing football.

When DT wrestled Midlands up at this weight he looked like he was dragging himself around. Now he moves like a 165 pounder wrestling near-heavyweights. He's a matchup problem for everyone at 86kg including Cox. FS guys haven't been able to get to Cox's legs but pretty sure DT can. The argument for Cox is that he's a bit like DT's kryptonite Dake--great hips, powerful, wrestles defensively and scores off counters. If DT can get through his early matches as easily as he did the US Open he'll be fresh for the 2 out of 3 against Cox.

A guy getting a pass until the finals has been my biggest beef against FS. Yes, yes, I get the argument that they earned it. But, when it determines a spot for the world championships and olympics, I want the best wrestler representing my country, not the guy who is really good but is less tired. The advantage is just too slanted. Everyone should be on same page. I absolutely feel Varner was the better wrestler for the Olympic team. He just wore out in the best-of-3. Hopefully, a two day tourney will lessen the advantage some.

A guy getting a pass until the finals has been my biggest beef against FS. Yes, yes, I get the argument that they earned it. But, when it determines a spot for the world championships and olympics, I want the best wrestler representing my country, not the guy who is really good but is less tired. The advantage is just too slanted. Everyone should be on same page. I absolutely feel Varner was the better wrestler for the Olympic team. He just wore out in the best-of-3. Hopefully, a two day tourney will lessen the advantage some.

Fortunately this guy was still good enough to bring home the hardware:
snydergold.jpg

I tend to agree, I would have no problem with a best of three true finals

It's official: Olympic bronze medalist J'Den Cox will be wrestling at the 2017 World Team Trials in Lincoln, Nebraska. The three-time NCAA champ sits in the best-of-three finals LIVE on Flo on June 10th.

Now that Cox is wrestling, that means David Taylor will have to go through the challenge tournament. Taylor, who went to Rio to be J'Den's training partner for the Olympics, rolled through the U.S. Open last weekend. He won OW after pinning his first opponent and then teching his next four opponents, including a 10-0 win over Richard Perry in the finals.

On his way to being our Olympian last year, Cox and Taylor did not meet. Along with Kyle Dake wrestling Jordan Burroughs two or three more times, this is one of the most highly anticipated finals series for WTT.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/55681-j-den-cox-to-wrestle-in-2017-world-team-trials
Bet Taylor techs or pins him....DT is on another planet right now !!!! This weight class is his and he will prove it !!!! He pinned the World Champ and the match was being dominated by DT as it went on....

Never heard of any insight how those training sessions went...

Gotta believe DT is looking forward to the challenge, no pun intended.

Bet Taylor techs or pins him....DT is on another planet right now !!!! This weight class is his and he will prove it !!!! He pinned the World Champ and the match was being dominated by DT as it went on....

Taylor has been incredible, but it's easy to forget just how great Cox was last summer. The guy took home Olympic bronze, an incredible achievement. It is by far the most captivating best of 3 series in Lincoln.

Taylor has been incredible, but it's easy to forget just how great Cox was last summer. The guy took home Olympic bronze, an incredible achievement. It is by far the most captivating best of 3 series in Lincoln.
Taylor v Cox is intriguing, with no HTH info at all, heaven only knows how this will turn out. I'm looking forward to these bouts. And as far as captivating, Burroughs v Dake is pretty good too.

Reactions: greenmanRD
Taylor v Cox is intriguing, with no HTH info at all, heaven only knows how this will turn out. I'm looking forward to these bouts. And as far as captivating, Burroughs v Dake is pretty good too.

I probably shouldn't sell Burroughs and Dake short, but they have wrestled a lot before. We haven't seen Taylor/Cox yet, so that makes it much more captivating, to me at least.

You cannot count any of these guys out. Right now, DT is at his best I believe, but JB, even though he looks a bit slower, still has all the skills and experience. Cox is a huge threat as well.

Yeah it's a crapshoot of epic proportions. Don't know who to pull for either. I'm a PSU homer and love DT and J'den's bronze medal performance was so gutsy that I'll always be pulling for him. I'll be happy either way and pretty sad either way.

Yeah it's a crapshoot of epic proportions. Don't know who to pull for either. I'm a PSU homer and love DT and J'den's bronze medal performance was so gutsy that I'll always be pulling for him. I'll be happy either way and pretty sad either way.
I am in complete agreement with you. I will always be PSU first and pull for DT but Cox was fun to watch at the Olympics and won me over forever as a personal fan and not just a team USA fan!!

As far as who I actually think wins the match up. I hate to say it this way but even though DT looks awesome against some great international competition. I have to give the slight edge to Cox as well as Dake, Buroughs if at same weight until he can prove to beat the best Americans at his weight class on the Big Stage that is the World Team Trials. Cox proved himself at the Olympic trials, Hopefully now its DT's Turn to prove himself and forever shut up the doubters.

I think we can confidently put aside Taylor's concerns for competing at 86 kg in the US. This year he has won the US Open with all his victories by bonus, and he has beaten Hassan Yazdani, Sharif Sharifov and Dato Marsagashvili.

He can hang with the best, whether he can beat Cox is another question, but Taylor is up for the challenge.

Confidence, physical capabilities and timing. Just my opinion, but right now through 2020 is DT's time.

I probably shouldn't sell Burroughs and Dake short, but they have wrestled a lot before. We haven't seen Taylor/Cox yet, so that makes it much more captivating, to me at least.
2-2, with a couple face mush's from the former World and Olympic Champ, last time they wrestled. I'm just as "captivated".

I think we can confidently put aside Taylor's concerns for competing at 86 kg in the US. This year he has won the US Open with all his victories by bonus, and he has beaten Hassan Yazdani, Sharif Sharifov and Dato Marsagashvili.

He can hang with the best, whether he can beat Cox is another question, but Taylor is up for the challenge.
Agreed greenman, Taylor broke Yazdani. In addition, I believe DT has now grown into and adjusted to the style at 86kg.

Reactions: diggerpup
If DT and Cox were going 2 of 3 with both of them fresh, I would slightly favor DT as his motor is unstoppable and he's been training freestyle year round and Cox hasn't. Given the fact that Cox will be fresh and DT will have wrestled a tourney just to get to face him, I'm not so sure what will happen but will be pulling for DT big time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT