ADVERTISEMENT

Jaret Lane

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
I'm speaking from a position of relative ignorance, but I've seen him wrestle in person a few times and watched him on video at PA states this year. I've been pretty impressed by him, but he doesn't get much love in the rankings. What am I missing? Is it a concern about size/weight (it seems he has been weighing the same for years) or just the relative lack of bonus points?

I'm speaking from a position of relative ignorance, but I've seen him wrestle in person a few times and watched him on video at PA states this year. I've been pretty impressed by him, but he doesn't get much love in the rankings. What am I missing? Is it a concern about size/weight (it seems he has been weighing the same for years) or just the relative lack of bonus points?
He is a great freestyler, but he has taken some losses in folk at 113. I think he is at the bottom 15-20 of the weight rankings for most services and this is probably where he should be.

He's also very tough on top.

His stature shouldn't impact rankings but is an issue for his college projection. Last year he struggled on feet and bottom with Kevan Gentile's length at 106.

I didn't like his 2017 state finals match, specifically the lack of offense on feet. But he's talented and dangerous (recall the Teasdale headlock 2 years ago). Hopefully he moves up to 120 this year, so we get a better idea.

He's also very tough on top.

His stature shouldn't impact rankings but is an issue for his college projection. Last year he struggled on feet and bottom with Kevan Gentile's length at 106.

I didn't like his 2017 state finals match, specifically the lack of offense on feet. But he's talented and dangerous (recall the Teasdale headlock 2 years ago). Hopefully he moves up to 120 this year, so we get a better idea.
He is a very tough projection for college. He's going to turn 19 this year and has been wrestling 106 and 113lbers. You would hope that he is at least 120 this upcoming year in terms of projecting college 125 but his results against top kids moving up in folkstyle would indicate he's probably not close to rankable at that weight right now. Maybe he hits a late growth spurt.

If the conversation were to shift to say his buddy Gaige, I'm all in and curious about what dice and others have to say there.

He has plenty of length for 120. No problem for him to prove he can beat 120s. Growing isn't the issue.

He has plenty of length for 120. No problem for him to prove he can beat 120s. Growing isn't the issue.

Yeah, to my eyes his frame is conducive to weight gain. He's pretty lanky. I saw something from 2010 that listed him as a 112 pounder, so it seems like he's been pretty flat in weight for a long time. If he could add muscle and strength, he could be at least a really good backup for Suriano and a possible successor - or am I wrong about his ceiling with added weight and strength?

If the conversation were to shift to say his buddy Gaige, I'm all in and curious about what dice and others have to say there.

Gage Garcia is a stud. There are certain youth wrestlers that you watch and just know that they are going to be studs in high school. (Chance, Gulibon, Spencer, Hoffman, Beard). Garcia fits that category and won PJWs multiple times. He should be on all your radars.

I've got a couple kids coming through the youth ranks that are going to be in that same category. Malvern Prep's current graduating 7th grade class is going to make national headlines in a few years. It's the best collection of talent in a single class that I've ever coached in the past 10 years. These kids are in the same category as Beard and Karoly. When they were all in 6th Grade, they beat Scorpions (NJ) and Young Guns. Two of them will likely be starting at 106 and 113 in high school as 8th graders this year. The 113lber would have been an AA at Prep Nationals at 106lbs as a 7th grader this past season. Future is bright!

Gage Garcia is a stud. There are certain youth wrestlers that you watch and just know that they are going to be studs in high school. (Chance, Gulibon, Spencer, Hoffman, Beard). Garcia fits that category and won PJWs multiple times. He should be on all your radars.

I've got a couple kids coming through the youth ranks that are going to be in that same category. Malvern Prep's current graduating 7th grade class is going to make national headlines in a few years. It's the best collection of talent in a single class that I've ever coached in the past 10 years. These kids are in the same category as Beard and Karoly. When they were all in 6th Grade, they beat Scorpions (NJ) and Young Guns. Two of them will likely be starting at 106 and 113 in high school as 8th graders this year. The 113lber would have been an AA at Prep Nationals at 106lbs as a 7th grader this past season. Future is bright!
Lots of nutritious fiber in this post

I don't think 8th graders can wrestle for high school teams in PA
Malvern Prep is not PIAA. National Preps can in their own events and in states that allow for this i.e. Delaware without it affecting eligibility.

So it disqualifies these 8th graders from wrestling in PJW states?

Last edited:

good info, and something to watch...thanks

Do these kids typically stay at Malvern Prep, or possibly migrate to a local public school? And which local high school has the strongest program?

good info, and something to watch...thanks

Do these kids typically stay at Malvern Prep, or possibly migrate to a local public school? And which local high school has the strongest program?
The best 3 programs in D1 are Council Rock South, Boyertown, and Pennridge. All are 45-60 min away before Philly traffic, Boyertown being the closest of the 3 to Malvern.

Hard to imagine kids leaving Malvern Prep for public school unless finances become an issue, or if the kid is a decent college prospect who's blocked by a Beard or Karoly type.

Reactions: tjb249 and royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT