ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin has a basketball team

This is 100% my opinion.

Maybe I misspoke when I said they were all good basketball players. Probably should have said that they were all good athletes.

I remember how sad I was that BOB didn't land Switzer.
You’re definitely right about them being good athletes, they are definitely all that. Switzer was all set to go to PSU....I talked to his dad at a basketball game, but the whole Sandusky thing scared him off.

Reactions: Texas Lion
How does James have time for summer basketball?? I thought he spent his free time blowing up balloons for birthday parties. 🎈 :eek:

As I said in my post above, there were some members of our 97 team who were AWFUL basketball players. We won the Open A division that year, beat them in the semifinals. We had a team with a couple of guys who could have played D2 or 3 ball and maybe even the patriot or small D1, so we were not slouches. Lavar and Joe could just sky above everyone for rebounds and were spectacular defensive players. Neither was a real scorer and our best player was a big country boy (6' 4" 250) who was recruited by many PSAC's to play and he was able to get enough rebounds while we hit enough 3's to win.

Crenshaw and I think Pettigrew were on the basketball team at that point and not sure why Nastasi didnt play, but they would have won the whole thing if they did because they didnt have decent guards. One player who made the NFL for a bit as a RB/KR was a turnover machine and basically gave us the game.
Was the last player that you mentioned Kenny Watson?

Reactions: bison13
Did you play on the North Halls courts? If you did, you played against me. (I lived in Beam, ‘75-‘77.)
Yes, lived on 2nd floor Leete from Fall 1974 thru Spring 1977. Was playing in game when starting DB Bill Crummy blew out his knee about 3 feet away from me, basically ruined his promising football career. Tony might have been in that game as I know Bill wasn't the only football player playing.

That’s not always the case. I played BB several times with a four-year starter who played WR for six years in the NFL. He was a terrible basketball player, the worst.
Was he also a sportscaster after his NFL career? And a heck of a great punt returner for PSU?

Last edited:
Yes, lived on 2nd floor Leete from Fall 1974 thru Spring 1977. Was playing in game when starting DB Bill Crummy blew out his knee about 3 feet away from me, basically ruined his promising football career. Tony might have been in that game as I know Bill wasn't the only football player playing.
Then we played a few games together. You might remember me, deaf, great shooter, one-trick pony.

Incoming recruit, Mehki Flowers, is a high-flyer on the court, too. May not be B10 material on the hardwood, but he is still fun to watch.

20 years later during a pickup game I tore the rim and backboard off the pole in north halls. Very scary that was alot of weight falling down. Luckily no one was around under it and it didn't land on me. The rusty bolts snapped, poor design.

Back in the sixties, the football team could easily beat the basketball team at basketball. Jack Curry was a hell of a player.
In an intermural playoff during that time, Iplayed against the quarterback, Tom Shermon. He was one of the best basketball players that I ever faced.

20 years later during a pickup game I tore the rim and backboard off the pole in north halls. Very scary that was alot of weight falling down. Luckily no one was around under it and it didn't land on me. The rusty bolts snapped, poor design.
Would that have been in 96?

I believe 95ish, but I was an undergraduate for six years so give or take a year or two, its a blur. They had steel backboards and chain nets.
I lived in Holmes overlooking those courts in 95-96 and 96-97. I believe it was 96 when one of the backboards came down from someone dunking on it...at the same time, there was an outdoor art exhibit happen in the woods behind Forum next to North Halls. One night, we carried the hoop back there and added it to the exhibit, titling our piece “Broken Dreams”. Wondering if it was the backboard you broke (I don’t remember any others breaking in my two years living there).

I lived in Holmes overlooking those courts in 95-96 and 96-97. I believe it was 96 when one of the backboards came down from someone dunking on it...at the same time, there was an outdoor art exhibit happen in the woods behind Forum next to North Halls. One night, we carried the hoop back there and added it to the exhibit, titling our piece “Broken Dreams”. Wondering if it was the backboard you broke (I don’t remember any others breaking in my two years living there).

The backboard didn't break, the brackets connected to the pole broke, the brackets, backboard, and rim were all intact.

I lived in East Halls. It was the second or third court closest to East halls on the Park Avenue end of the court.
I hope that was it, I've never donated to an art show before. I'd love to tell the guys I was with. That's hilarious that you did that, I wish I would have known.

We didn't know what to do or who to tell so we just left.

The backboard didn't break, the brackets connected to the pole broke, the brackets, backboard, and rim were all intact.

I lived in East Halls. It was the second or third court closest to East halls on the Park Avenue end of the court.
I hope that was it, I've never donated to an art show before. I'd love to tell the guys I was with. That's hilarious that you did that, I wish I would have known.

We didn't know what to do or who to tell so we just left.
It was the backboard and rim and everything that we carried over. I don't remember which of the 4 courts it was from, but it was definitely from the Park Ave end. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same hoop.

I lived on those courts when the weather was nice in 95-96 and 96-97.

Reactions: LionJim
It was the backboard and rim and everything that we carried over. I don't remember which of the 4 courts it was from, but it was definitely from the Park Ave end. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same hoop.

I lived on those courts when the weather was nice in 95-96 and 96-97.

That has to be it!
I cant wait to tell my old roommates, this is great!! Thanks for posting!!

Reactions: Erial_Lion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT