ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin defeats a top 10 team

I was literally voted captain as a 15 year old sophomore.
Then your teammates were idiots. Or maybe you had a hot sister. Or an older brother who could buy beer for the team. IDK, but I don't want you on any of my teams.
Pretending meaningless games have meaning doesn't make you competitive. Striving to win games that matter and making your teammates better does.
Again, you are not the arbiter of what is meaningful. The intramural flag football playoffs might be super meaningful to those playing in them but meaningless to others. I have shown tons of data of WHY these games are meaningful. You have shown zero data other than "you don't think they are."
All those individuals caring about it doesn't give it meaning.
That's literally what being meaningful is defined as. It has meaning so people care about it.
Also I explained the spelling multiple times.
I must have missed that but it makes you look like a moron.

Guys, it's meaningless to the buckeye fan because he is constantly looking to diminish anything PSU. This has been the case with this guys posts all year. Ask yourself if any rational fan thinks the rose bowl doesn't matter as you see guys tearing up as it ends.

This guy a buckeye. He spent all season trying to put down PSU and rushing immediately to defend anything his Buckeyes were criticized for including losing 2 straight to close out their season.

I mean you're all arguing about a meaningless game as well because of the deranged need to believe the game matters
You need to improve your reading comprehension. I am not one who defined any game as meaningless. It is you Francis who is standing on the Titanic.

I’m not going to speak for anyone else - and I understand all the perspectives on the Rose Bowl and its meaning, or lack there of.

But it was meaningful to me! Watched every second of it, agonized over any play that PSU didn’t do well, jumped up and celebrated our TDs or sacks and interceptions. I loved getting the W and being 11-2 vice 10-3. And, I think the DL and OL have a new perspective now - they proven to themselves that they can go toe-to-toe with a “physical” team, slug it out with them, and win convincingly. This will be a confidence/psyche benefit for next season.

I wanted to resist jumping in, but I can't at this moment. Your OPINION is that the Rose Bowl is meaningless. Great. Your opinion is not fact. You can stomp your feet and scream and yell, and post another 184 times that your opinion is correct, but it's not.

Also, this is one of the dumbest things you've written:
"Something being meaningful to an individual doesn't make it truly meaningful"

You basically contradict yourself. Something being meaningful to an individual is, by definition, meaningful. End of story right there. Absolutely nothing is this world ever universally, unequivocally, and always 100% 'truly meaningful'. Your 'truly' descriptor is simply your own personal value system being placed upon something YOU and YOU alone value. Nobody has the ability to define 'truly meaningful' as an absolute in your myopic view.
Yes, there are things that matter in the grand scheme of thing even if certain people don't care about them. This isn't a difficult concept. The entire purpose of the college football season it to win the national championship--that's why the sport exists. If there's a playoff the bowls lack meaning--Saban said as much. I don't think you comprehend the word myopic is you think this is nearsighted or lacking an intellectual view as opposed to relying on emotion as you're doing.

There are probably avid college footbal fans, such as myself, that don't give a crap who wins or who loses on Monday. It is therefore meaningless.
Wrong--your opinion nor my opinion matters. That game is the only one that matters.

The players ARE college football. If it is meaningful to them (it is), it is meaningful to college football.
Again, wrong--players aren't college football--they're replaceable. They come and go and nothing changes. They have moments they matter but ultimately the programs are the ones that matter. And the entire purpose sports exist is for a title

There's a reason no other sport does anything like the bowls. Even the NIT is called the Not Important Tournament by most. It's about business not sport.

Then your teammates were idiots. Or maybe you had a hot sister. Or an older brother who could buy beer for the team. IDK, but I don't want you on any of my teams.

Again, you are not the arbiter of what is meaningful. The intramural flag football playoffs might be super meaningful to those playing in them but meaningless to others. I have shown tons of data of WHY these games are meaningful. You have shown zero data other than "you don't think they are."

That's literally what being meaningful is defined as. It has meaning so people care about it.

I must have missed that but it makes you look like a moron.
You literally would have begged to have me on your team and would have gladly followed my lead.
I'm not--nor are you--reality determines what is meaningful
Wrong--that is not what meaningful is defined as--we're talking meaningful on a large scale only
Anyone that thinks a username is relevant has some serious issues.

You need to improve your reading comprehension. I am not one who defined any game as meaningless. It is you Francis who is standing on the Titanic.
I'm not though nor am I alone in this. It's largely our fan base that doesn't grasp it though because we're that team not quite good enough to win titles but that will get what is considered a good bowl so we want to pretend that's a successful season
Also, you keep arguing with me but you agree with me a large majority of the time even if you don't see that. One day you'll see this too--maybe that won't happen until expansion of the playoffs though

Again, wrong--players aren't college football--they're replaceable. They come and go and nothing changes. They have moments they matter but ultimately the programs are the ones that matter.
You are so wrong. If enough players decided the games weren't important, there would be no college football. Therefore, the players deciding to play (literally risking life and limb) leads us to conclude that, to them at least, there is meaning to the game. Otherwise, they would not play.
And the entire purpose sports exist is for a title
This is why I doubt you played competitive sports. If you did (as you claim), you are doing it completely wrong. This is not the reason sports exist. Not even close. I defy you to find one other person on this board who thinks that the "entire purpose of sports is for a title."
There's a reason no other sport does anything like the bowls.
This is why college football is the best sport. The bowls are amazing and there is nothing like them.
Even the NIT is called the Not Important Tournament by most. It's about business not sport.
And yet people buy tickets and go to the games and the players show up. So clearly even the NIT has meaning (and you are in fact playing for a title, so by your own ridiculous definition it matters).

You literally would have begged to have me on your team and would have gladly followed my lead.
LOLOLOLOLOL. Nope. I don't play with douchebags if I can help it.
I'm not--nor are you--reality determines what is meaningful
Correct and you are divorced from reality. I've showed you examples of why they matter and you ignore them.
Wrong--that is not what meaningful is defined as--we're talking meaningful on a large scale only
WTF does "on a large scale" even mean? On a large scale (e.g. globally) nothing about sports matters at all. It is just a game.
Anyone that thinks a username is relevant has some serious issues.
You are the one with issues, Super Chief.

You are so wrong. If enough players decided the games weren't important, there would be no college football. Therefore, the players deciding to play (literally risking life and limb) leads us to conclude that, to them at least, there is meaning to the game. Otherwise, they would not play.

This is why I doubt you played competitive sports. If you did (as you claim), you are doing it completely wrong. This is not the reason sports exist. Not even close. I defy you to find one other person on this board who thinks that the "entire purpose of sports is for a title."

This is why college football is the best sport. The bowls are amazing and there is nothing like them.

And yet people buy tickets and go to the games and the players show up. So clearly even the NIT has meaning (and you are in fact playing for a title, so by your own ridiculous definition it matters).
You can always get kids to play college football--fact not opinion
Yes, the sole reason sports exist is to win. Hence the devastation when you lose if you actually played a sport. You should never be happy after a loss or a season that doesn't in a title. Doesn't mean you don't grow and develop but a competitor takes losses and failure hard.
College football isn't the best sport but it's going to be as the playoff expands and the bowl slowly disappear
People go to the Blue White game too

LOLOLOLOLOL. Nope. I don't play with douchebags if I can help it.

Correct and you are divorced from reality. I've showed you examples of why they matter and you ignore them.

WTF does "on a large scale" even mean? On a large scale (e.g. globally) nothing about sports matters at all. It is just a game.

You are the one with issues, Super Chief.
Again--you would have loved every second of playing with me especially if you were on my line
I'm not the one divorced from reality--large scale of college football
Really not but if that helps you sleep at night cool

You can always get kids to play college football--fact not opinion
Yes, because people love playing sports and competing because competition (and team and personal development and fitness) has meaning to them.
Yes, the sole reason sports exist is to win.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. See above.
Hence the devastation when you lose if you actually played a sport. You should never be happy after a loss or a season that doesn't in a title.
You should hate to lose but that doesn't mean a losing season is meaningless.
Doesn't mean you don't grow and develop but a competitor takes losses and failure hard.
I agree. But there is MEANING in those losses.
College football isn't the best sport but it's going to be as the playoff expands and the bowl slowly disappear
Wrong. CFB is clearly the best sport.
People go to the Blue White game too
Yes, they do. Because it has meaning to them. Just as it has meaning to the student athletes who are fighting for playing time or honing their skills.

Yes, they do. Because it has meaning to them. Just as it has meaning to the student athletes who are fighting for playing time or honing their skills.
Now we're pretending something that even states it is a scrimmage has meaning--thank you for proving my point. Some day you'll understand. Well, you may not, but most here will.

Now we're pretending something that even states it is a scrimmage has meaning--thank you for proving my point. Some day you'll understand. Well, you may not, but most here will.
Why would a scrimmage not have meaning?

Your definition of meaning is flawed and your interpretation of why we play sports (or compete in anything) is sad and makes me pity you.

Reactions: okinburg1
I gave up trying to argue with this stooge a while ago and put him on ignore. All I know is as a player, I never played in a meaningless game and as a coach, I never coached in a meaningless game. When you’re competing and they’re keeping score, it means something.
You played and coached in bowl games?

You do understand that Utah lost their starting QB in a game that was essentially even Steven prior to the injury. Notice the lack of a question mark.

Aren't you the same person who posted last year, that the reason we lost the Iowa game was because Franklin was such a bad coach that he didn't have a backup QB ready to play? (I added the question mark just for you.)

Aren't you the same person who posted last year, that the reason we lost the Iowa game was because Franklin was such a bad coach that he didn't have a backup QB ready to play? (I added the question mark just for you.)
Nope, wasn't me, because we lose that game regardless of Clifford's injury. Iowa pulled within a score, had figured out the offense (play by play numbers prove it), had the momentum, found weaknesses further exposed by both Illinois and Michigan State and all of that before the injury actually mattered.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
You can't understand the game just by looking at the box score. You have to actually watch it.
I did, in person with 20 other Penn Staters (including a former player) who had the same opinion. Nobody thought the lead would hold given how Iowa was playing. There is still no substitute for watching the game in person. You miss too much with the tunnel vision you get via the broadcast.

You do understand that Utah lost their starting QB in a game that was essentially even Steven prior to the injury. Notice the lack of a question mark.
Was their QB playing defense? Did he get run past by Singleton and KLS?

On offense, he accounted for 150 total yards. He wasn't lighting it up even before he got hurt.

Sorry to see him get hurt, but that wasn't the reason Utah lost.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Nope, wasn't me, because we lose that game regardless of Clifford's injury. Iowa pulled within a score, had figured out the offense (play by play numbers prove it), had the momentum, found weaknesses further exposed by both Illinois and Michigan State and all of that before the injury actually mattered.

You do realize we were

Penn State was up 17-3 when Clifford went out, including missing two short field goals, and having the ball intercepted in the end zone. They should have been up by at least 23. That includes a touchdown on Clifford's last series. This all happened in the first 21 minutes of the game. But yeah, they had our offense figured out. It's funny how they didn't figure it out until Clifford went down.

It was 21-14 and 28-14 before his absence mattered. You know, "all the metrics were in favor of a PSU victory." Sound familiar? LOL You are such a fraud.
With Penn State fans like you, who needs Pitt fans? Coach Wally.....LOL

I did, in person with 20 other Penn Staters (including a former player) who had the same opinion. Nobody thought the lead would hold given how Iowa was playing. There is still no substitute for watching the game in person. You miss too much with the tunnel vision you get via the broadcast.
You could be in the game, you still would **** it up.

LOL. Zero chance we lose the Iowa game is Clifford doesn't get hurt.

For the curious, here are the PSU offensive drives until the Clifford injury.

PSU Drive #1: 1 play, 0 Yards – Clifford INT

PSU Drive #2: 8 plays, 60 yards (7.5 yards per play, PI play not included)
  • Pass for 17 yards
  • Pass for 4 yards
  • Run for 1 yard
  • Pass for 5 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 16 yards
  • Pass for 15 yards
  • Pass inference
  • Run for 2 - TD
PSU Drive #3: 6 plays, 36 yards (6 yards per play)
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Run for 10 yards
  • Pass for 11 yards
  • Pass for 11 yards
  • Interception in EZ
PSU Drive #4: 4 plays, 39 yards (9.8 yards per play)
  • Run for 2 yards
  • Pass for 30 yards
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Run 4 yards - TD
PSU Drive #5: 13 plays, 66 Yards – (5 yards per play)
  • Pass for 12 yards
  • Pass for 7 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 9 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 7 yards
  • Pass for 3 yards
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Run for 22 yards
  • Pass for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Incomplete pass
  • FG

Last edited:

PSU Drive #2: 8 plays, 60 yards (7.5 yards per play, PI play not included
  • Pass for 17 yards
  • Pass for 4 yards
  • Run for 1 yard
  • Pass for 5 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 16 yards
  • Pass for 15 yards
  • Pass inference
  • Run for 2 - TD
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Run for 10 yards
  • Pass for 11 yards
  • Pass for 11 yards
  • Interception in EZ
  • Run for 2 yards
  • Pass for 30 yards
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Run 4 yards - TD
  • Pass for 12 yards
  • Pass for 7 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 9 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 7 yards
  • Pass for 3 yards
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Run for 22 yards
  • Pass for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Incomplete pass
  • FG
See …..we were down to five yards per play. Iowa had our offense all figured out!😹

See …..we were down to five yards per play. Iowa had our offense all figured out!😹
Two INTs out of 5 drives.

What is the first rule of controlling a lead? Don't turn the ball over.

Teams that win the turnover battle usually win. We were not on pace to win the turnover battle. Turnovers can change things real fast.

Two INTs out of 5 drives.

What is the first rule of controlling a lead? Don't turn the ball over.

Teams that win the turnover battle usually win. We were not on pace to win the turnover battle. Turnovers can change things real fast.
While this is true, Iowa's offense was terrible. The TO's didn't hurt PSU. Their offense (with Clifford) could move the ball at will. PSU would have won by 2-3 scores had he not gotten hurt.

PSU Drive #2: 8 plays, 60 yards (7.5 yards per play, PI play not included)
  • Pass for 17 yards
  • Pass for 4 yards
  • Run for 1 yard
  • Pass for 5 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 16 yards
  • Pass for 15 yards
  • Pass inference
  • Run for 2 - TD
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Run for 10 yards
  • Pass for 11 yards
  • Pass for 11 yards
  • Interception in EZ
  • Run for 2 yards
  • Pass for 30 yards
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Run 4 yards - TD
  • Pass for 12 yards
  • Pass for 7 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 9 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Pass for 7 yards
  • Pass for 3 yards
  • Run for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Run for 22 yards
  • Pass for 3 yards
  • Incomplete pass
  • Incomplete pass
  • FG
Not sure how you did it but you replied to a post from me and the words in my "post" are showing different from the post that I had made. If you click on the space that sends you to my post, you'll see what I am describing.

While this is true, Iowa's offense was terrible. The TO's didn't hurt PSU. Their offense (with Clifford) could move the ball at will. PSU would have won by 2-3 scores had he not gotten hurt.
A TO in the endzone did not hurt PSU? 23-20 game

Not sure how you did it but you replied to a post from me and the words in my "post" are showing different from the post that I had made. I AM CHANGING THIS POST.If you click on the space that sends you to my post, you'll see what I am describing.
That is a major flaw in the Rival system. If you hit Reply, you can then change anything in the original post you are replying to. People do it all the time and say ‘Fixed it for you’. Just as I did to this post of yours IN CAPS. So don’t always believe what is quoted as some dishonest people can alter them…..but it has been done very rarely to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT