ADVERTISEMENT

Ivan Yariguin Roster

jmadden1998

Jan 26, 2017
57 kg: Thomas Gilman (Iowa City, Iowa/Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury)
57 kg: Zane Richards (Champaign, Ill./ Illinois Regional Training Center/Illini WC)
61 kg: Joe Colon (Fresno, Calif./Titan Mercury)
61 kg: Cory Clark (Iowa City, Iowa/Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury)
65 kg: Zain Retherford (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
70 kg: James Green (Lincoln/Neb./Sunkist Kids)
70 kg: Jason Chamberlain (Fresno, Calif./Titan Mercury)
74 kg: Isaiah Martinez (Champaign, Ill./Titan Mercury)
79 kg: Alex Dieringer (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury)
86 kg: Sam Brooks (Iowa City, Iowa/Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Columbus, Ohio/Ohio RTC/Titan Mercury)

A lot of younger guys headed to Siberia. Flo will broadcast Jan 24-27.

57 kg: Zane Richards (Champaign, Ill./ Illinois Regional Training Center/Illini WC)

Awesome - I totally miss watching Zain wrestle. Was there some kinda tryout for atarting roles?

Reactions: nerfstate

Go kick ass Zain. Let's all give Zain a ton of support and good luck....USA

It sounds like flo got the USA streaming rights so if you already have flo you won’t have to pay track too.

Awesome - I totally miss watching Zain wrestle. Was there some kinda tryout for atarting roles?
I doubt it -- because last year Stefanik went.

Suspect it's more a matter of who can secure funding to go. In Stefanik's case, he trained in Russia for a few months last year.

Reactions: diggerpup
i'm imagining they'll have their own guys providing commentary, but just from watching the streams not actually being there, which is i think what track had for worlds last year

Mike Mal and another flobro I forget who is flying to Siberia. Maybe for pbp, maybe just for interviews and such.

Reactions: psumacw
This kind of tournament should do away with repechage and just go to straight wrestle-backs. Crazy to think that some guys might make a protracted pilgrimage to Siberia; wrestle exactly one match; and then be done if that opponent doesn't make it all the way to the finals.

Methinks one ought to give monastic "pilgrims" at least a second match and a second chance to move on. What say ye?

Repechage should go away period.

Be careful what you wish for... I think the US medalists benefits more than anyone with repechage because of the conditioning aspect required of multiple matches with decreasing recovery time as the weight class progresses.

Reactions: CropDuster507
Be careful what you wish for... I think the US medalists benefits more than anyone with repechage because of the conditioning aspect required of multiple matches with decreasing recovery time as the weight class progresses.
2017 Worlds: Zain beats the snot out of his opponent but loses by 1 pt. That guy has nothing left in the next round because Zain, so Zain is out. That same guy won 2018 Worlds.

Repechage maybe makes some sense at the Olympics if there is limited arena time due to multiple sports being run. Maybe. Otherwise, it's just one more UWW-ism that exists only because it exists.

Reactions: diggerpup
2017 Worlds: Zain beats the snot out of his opponent but loses by 1 pt. That guy has nothing left in the next round because Zain, so Zain is out. That same guy won 2018 Worlds.

Repechage maybe makes some sense at the Olympics if there is limited arena time due to multiple sports being run. Maybe. Otherwise, it's just one more UWW-ism that exists only because it exists.

That is why I specified "US medalists". Like ZR in 2017, Brent Metcalf suffered from this, too. I think UWW is making attempts at doing a better job of seeding, which will help with situations like Zain in 2017. But, the wrestler still has to do their part and win some matches.

I believe that UWW has sold the benefits of repechage because it limits the number of matches and condenses the time it takes to get through the weight classes, making it more "media friendly".

That is why I specified "US medalists". Like ZR in 2017, Brent Metcalf suffered from this, too. I think UWW is making attempts at doing a better job of seeding, which will help with situations like Zain in 2017. But, the wrestler still has to do their part and win some matches.

I believe that UWW has sold the benefits of repechage because it limits the number of matches and condenses the time it takes to get through the weight classes, making it more "media friendly".

Based on the bolded part I don;t think you understand what repechage means. It is the same as wrestle backs or consolations. The difference is the degree. NCAA consolations pre 1980s worked the same way as international tournaments work now. Only those that lost to finalists were included. That was changed (I didn't look up the actual years) to those that lost to semi finalists and eventually to include everyone. Eliminating repechage means eliminating ALL wrestle backs.

You're presuming Zain would not have been a 2017 medalist in a full wrestleback.

Maybe, maybe not, but we'll never know because the UWW system punished him for punishing his opponent.

With the system's incentives, Zain would've been better off rolling over and getting pinned in 10 sec -- then his opponent would've had something left in the tank. Again, we're talking about a world champ the following year, so it's not far fetched to believe he might have made the finals if Zain hadn't beaten him up.

This is so colossally stupid that only UWW would employ it.

So you want the semi losers to get bronze medals. Do you want to do away with wrestlebacks in college too? Personally I think that is a terrible idea. If anything, I would prefer that repechage be expanded and everyone has the opportunity to wrestle back for a bronze medal.
Not sure how you inferred that from my post but go ahead and grandstand....
Repechage is relying on transitive properties. Wrestler A lost to wrestler B and wrestler B lost to Wrestler C so therefore Wrestler A would lose to wrestler C. Also the seeding is terrible so many times these top guys don't even get to wrestle for what they deserve.
What you talk about is changing or expanding it to allow a more fair system, of course that is great. So I guess if you are going to be anal about it and assume I meant all wrestlebacks, go for it. Why stop there? All wrestling too. Wow

Reactions: yekrut321
BTW, since UWW seeding was brought up -- it's still very slanted against Team USA. Of all the ranking events in all 3 styles, only 1 is in the Americas (a Greco event in Cuba)..

Not just the travel -- but the locations allow the other wrestling powers to send more entrants. So merely by competition it's harder for Team USA to get seeded.

UWW changing the rules to use Worlds results for seeding obviously will help as long as we continue to perform at that level. Still, if the system were any more lopsided, it would fall over.

Not sure how you inferred that from my post but go ahead and grandstand....
Repechage is relying on transitive properties. Wrestler A lost to wrestler B and wrestler B lost to Wrestler C so therefore Wrestler A would lose to wrestler C. Also the seeding is terrible so many times these top guys don't even get to wrestle for what they deserve.
What you talk about is changing or expanding it to allow a more fair system, of course that is great. So I guess if you are going to be anal about it and assume I meant all wrestlebacks, go for it. Why stop there? All wrestling too. Wow

Not grandstanding. Trying to educate, but apparently you don;t want to listen. Sorry about that.

Isn't this tournament part of the seeding requirements also? Wonder why some of the top guys didn't go.

Isn't this tournament part of the seeding requirements also? Wonder why some of the top guys didn't go.
Yes -- full list of seeding events is at the bottom of this article:
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/December/07/UWW-to-launch-Ranking-Series-in-2018

For freestyle:
Ivan Yariguin (RUS), January
Tbilisi GP (GEO), June
South Africa Open (RSA), July
Medved (BLR), September

If the goal is strictly seeding points, I could understand not going. Yarygin is by far the worst travel, and who in their right mind wants to be in -50 deg Siberia weather?

DUeUvUfV4AA_S4l.jpg

Reactions: Grass
No doubt. Although, it's warmer in Siberia today than it is in Iowa.

You're presuming Zain would not have been a 2017 medalist in a full wrestleback.

Maybe, maybe not, but we'll never know because the UWW system punished him for punishing his opponent.

With the system's incentives, Zain would've been better off rolling over and getting pinned in 10 sec -- then his opponent would've had something left in the tank. Again, we're talking about a world champ the following year, so it's not far fetched to believe he might have made the finals if Zain hadn't beaten him up.

If you’re. Ring fair, he would have been better off winning the match, he got punished because he lost

Just to clarify a misunderstanding, I think everyone who posted here would prefer to see a full consolation bracket at the world championships. Some folks believe the current system, where losers to the finalists get pulled in for a chance at bronze, is called repecharge, When in fact it’s just one form of repecharge, which can be considered a synonym of consolation.

If you’re. Ring fair, he would have been better off winning the match, he got punished because he lost
That's true -- he would've been best off winning.

But if he didn't win, he would've been better off not making his opponent work. That's also undeniably true.

And, no, he didn't get punished because he lost. If that guy had made the finals, Zain would've been pulled back in. Therefore Zain got punished for somebody else losing.

Reactions: danoftw

Thought I'd chime in as went to the 2017 and 2018 Worlds with old teammates-- my personal favorite wrestling event and I highly recommend it. Well run, tons of amazing matches, can get your patriotism fix in a rowdy international environment but also converse with knowledgeable fans around the world, and also great opportunities to organically hangout with some legends of the sport and hear them hold court at the local watering holes.

Anyways, thinking about this topic, I'm not sure that Retherford/Batirov is the best example re: a need for full consolations. I don't think many people had Batirov (Dagestani competing for Bahrain) coming out with a medal in that bracket, particularly as he was 0-1 at the Olympics at 65kg and already few years into his 30's. In 2017 after beating Zain, he lost in the quarters and the Russian rep that beat him then lost in the semis to knock him out of the competition as well. 65KG is always just a brute of a weight class as there are so many wrestlers that size globally and the surrounding 61kg and 70kg aren't Olympic weights. Batirov did make the finals at 70kg last year where he ran out of gas to lose at the end to another Russain (that tends to happen when you hit age 34!), but like most non-Olympic weights, 70kg really didn't seem nearly as strong or deep as the 2017 or 2018 65kg brackets (particularly with Chamizo moving to 74kg and Green seeming to drop more and more headscratchers).

I do think, though, last year's 74kg weight, though, could have been a decent example to make a case for full or differently structured wrestlebacks (especially with what was a really bad seeding system last year): With Sidakov, Burroughs, and Chamizo all on the same side of the bracket, only 2 would be able to earn medals (22 year old Russian Sidakov beat both Burroughs and Chamizo en route to his first gold, and then the 5x world champ knocked out the 2x world champ before the medal rounds in repeche). This brings up another question- currently there are 2 bronze medals, but I suppose full wrestlebacks would resort in just one again?

If of interest, below's the Retherford/Batirov 2017 match-- good match and you can see how crafty Batirov is on his feet. A problem was Zain giving up a reversal from top (not very common in FS) with 2 min to go when he tried to throw in the boots and power half-- that point would end up being a difference maker. When I watched this match again, I actually got the impression that Zain was a little tentative overall compared to his typical self (and particularly in comparison to, say, that slugfest in the world team finals that year with Molinaro). I think Batirov got to the legs a little too often and easily and even when he didn't score, he chewed up a lot of time on Zain's legs prior to stalemates. Just my 2 cents as enjoyed both 2017 and 2018 tournaments.

I have to imagine it is safer as well.

Just think.

If they had a freestyle event in Iran, it would be safer + warm weather.

I bet T R Foley lives in Tehran for similar reasons ...

———————

Q: DT & seeding ...

So I found this:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/ar...ries-system-names-2019-host-locations?page=33

Basically, DT has 50 seeding points from his GOLD in Budapest.

Turk (Erdin?) has 30.

Yazdani has 15.

That super tough Russian has 10.

I know DT isn’t going to worry about seeding - but, say DT only wrestles one (Yassar Dagu?) of 4 ranking series and wins, he’ll have 58 seeding points.

These other dudes would have to wrestle their butts off all year to top 58.

But, that Turk (Erwin?) wrestles a lot of events. He earned the 1 seed in 2018 from wrestling a lot of events. He could easily keep the 2 for 2019.

I could see either the tough Russian or Yazdani getting the 4 seed .... for a semi vs DT.

I’m waaay ahead of myself, but, my point - DT already has 50 seeding points. There is no need or urgency to go all the way to Siberia & deal with the Yariguin for DT - plus, why give any of those Russians any extra chance to feel his pace & offense ??

Easy call to skip it.

Could someone list the schedule? I'm sure Flo has it but I can't get to Flo from work. I assume that the matches are in the very early morning hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT