ADVERTISEMENT

Nolf at 79 KG

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
Nolf is apparently packing on some weight and muscle. Hopefully, he can descend back to 74KG if he qualifies for the Olympic Trials.

USA Wrestling has released the full roster heading to the Pan American Championships in Ottawa, Canada, March 6-9.

It should be noted that this is not the Olympic Games qualifier, that takes place March 13-15. However, athletes will earn UWW Ranking Series points, seeding points for the Pan-American Qualifier, and winners will qualify for the Olympic Trials if they have not already.

Men’s freestyle roster
57 kg: Darian Cruz (Lehigh Valley WC)
61 kg: Tyler Graff (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)*
65 kg: Yianni Diakomihalis (Titan Mercury WC/Finger Lakes WC)
70 kg: Anthony Ashnault (NJRTC)
74 kg: Jordan Burroughs (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska WTC)
79 kg: Jason Nolf (Nittany Lion WC)
86 kg: Pat Downey (Titan Mercury WC/NJRTC)*
92 kg: Alex Dieringer (Titan Mercury WC)
97 kg: Kyle Snyder (Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)
125 kg: Anthony Nelson (Minnesota Storm)

Nolf is apparently packing on some weight and muscle. Hopefully, he can descend back to 74KG if he qualifies for the Olympic Trials.

USA Wrestling has released the full roster heading to the Pan American Championships in Ottawa, Canada, March 6-9.

It should be noted that this is not the Olympic Games qualifier, that takes place March 13-15. However, athletes will earn UWW Ranking Series points, seeding points for the Pan-American Qualifier, and winners will qualify for the Olympic Trials if they have not already.

Men’s freestyle roster

No Zain? I thought he was beating Yanni? No David Taylor? No Bo Nickal. Ashnault???? Zain could easily move up and beat the shit out of him. He crushed him everytime he faced him?

What happened with Suriano? I thought he was a contender???

No Zain? I thought he was beating Yanni? No David Taylor? No Bo Nickal. Ashnault???? Zain could easily move up and beat the shit out of him. He crushed him everytime he faced him?

We rarely send our A team to this event. Maybe a couple but not the whole slate.

Maybe it’s time you cut back to just a single pot of coffee each day.
————
Probably as simple as Nolf & JB both wanted to wrestle, its JB’s weight, and bumping up for Jason is more fun than staying home.

Ringer is doing the same at 92 w/ PD3 taking 86.

Why would they send the top guys at 57, 65, 86 and 125 when they are all wrestling the following week to qualify the weight class for the Olympics.

Or in his case, cut back to a single pot of coffee each hour.

62381b5382f953ef780d89a70caae47a.gif

Men’s freestyle roster
Same weekend as Big10s. Lots of wrestling to watch!

Regardless of the event or his weight, I’m pumped to hear Jason’s wrestling again. Here’s hoping he’s fully recovered and his knee is 100%.

Yes, Fix, Zain, DT, and Gwiz are wrestling at the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier, so there is no way they would want to make weight, wrestle, and/or risk injury at the Pan Am championships the weekend prior.

Burroughs and Snyder have already qualified 74KG and 97KG (by finishing in the top 3 at Worlds) so they don't and can't wrestle March 13-15.

If the other weights don't get qualified one way or another, no one goes to the Olympics at those weights. The Pan Am qualifier is the best place to do that b/c you need to finish in the top 2 there. Hence, the reason for sending Zain, DT, Fix and Gwiz.

Other members competing at the Pan Am Championships (not the qualifier):

Women’s freestyle roster
50 kg: Victoria Anthony (Sunkist Kids)*
53 kg: Haley Augello (New York AC/USOPTC)*
55 kg: Dominique Parrish (Sunkist Kids)
57 kg: Kelsey Campbell (Sunkist Kids)*
59 kg: Lauren Louive (New York AC/USOPTC)
62 kg: Mallory Velte (Titan Mercury WC)
68 kg: Tamyra Mensah-Stock (Titan Mercury WC/USOPTC)
72 kg: Victoria Francis (Titan Mercury WC)*
76 kg: Adeline Gray (New York AC/USOPTC)

Greco-Roman roster
55 kg: Max Nowry (Army WCAP)*
60 kg: Leslie Fuenffinger (Army WCAP)
63 kg: Xavier Johnson (Marines)*
67 kg: Alejandro Sancho (Army WCAP)
72 kg: Raymond Bunker (Marines)*
77 kg: Pat Smith (Minnesota Storm)*
82 kg: John Stefanowicz (Marines)*
87 kg: Joe Rau (Titan Mercury WC/Chicago RTC)*
97 kg: G’Angelo Hancock (Sunkist Kids/USOPTC)*
130 kg: Adam Coon (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC)

* indicates past Senior World Team member

Reactions: diggerpup
Yes, Fix, Zain, DT, and Gwiz are wrestling at the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier, so there is no way they would want to make weight, wrestle, and/or risk injury at the Pan Am championships the weekend prior.

Burroughs and Snyder have already qualified 74KG and 97KG (by finishing in the top 3 at Worlds) so they don't and can't wrestle March 13-15.

If the other weights don't get qualified one way or another, no one goes to the Olympics at those weights. The Pan Am qualifier is the best place to do that b/c you need to finish in the top 2 there. Hence, the reason for sending Zain, DT, Fix and Gwiz.
Fix isn't going Gilman is

————
Probably as simple as Nolf & JB both wanted to wrestle, its JB’s weight, and bumping up for Jason is more fun than staying home.

Ringer is doing the same at 92 w/ PD3 taking 86.
When thinking about it, this is a smart move for Nolf and Ashnault. It gets them live action and as mentioned earlier if you win these Pan Am's you qualify for the trials. Generally speaking non-Olympic weights during an Olympic year have fewer entries and might be easier to win.

I didn’t realize that Pan-Am Champs qualify for OTT. This is a good chance for Nolf to get qualified and not have to worry about wear and tear at the Last Chance which is only a week before the OTT. Should help for peaking for OTT as well.

I didn’t realize that Pan-Am Champs qualify for OTT. This is a good chance for Nolf to get qualified and not have to worry about wear and tear at the Last Chance which is only a week before the OTT. Should help for peaking for OTT as well.
Good for him, sure but what about the fans planning on going to Last Chance to see him wrestle? Ever think about that? o_O

Seriously though, hope he is healthy & able to do Nolf things.

also pan am championships give you points for seeding at the olympics so it makes perfect sense for those already qualified (burroughs and snyder) to go and get their best seeds possible

A healthy and full size Nolf at 74KG could create all kinds of crazy matches...hoping we see a Nolf vs Dake semi would be epic.

It would be a shame if Nolf hits Dake in the semi’s, but understandable, as who knows where Nolf will get seeded, having missed several months.

Based on recent results he should be the three seed. Which would see Imar in the semis. But who knows how the seeding actually goes.

Based on recent results he should be the three seed. Which would see Imar in the semis. But who knows how the seeding actually goes.[/QUO
Not sure if they are seeding Dake or not, but, he will be behind Dake, Imar and James Green. Very possible if he qualifies he would be on same half as Dake. In the end not going to matter as you will still have to beat both to face JB the next day.

Dake is “sitting” somewhere,I think he is waiting for the winner of the challenge tourney,but if someone knows better,it would be great to see even a hand drawn bracket. 74 and 97 are confusing to me.

There's no easy road for anyone at the Olympic Trials, even the two guys already sitting in the finals. Of those on the current list of qualified entrants, it's approaching 50 NCAA National Championships between them, something well over 100 All-American finishes, and that's not counting the Freestyle Accolades.

We're going to see plenty of outstanding wrestling that will likely include National Champ vs National Champ in the first round.

Dake is “sitting” somewhere,I think he is waiting for the winner of the challenge tourney,but if someone knows better,it would be great to see even a hand drawn bracket. 74 and 97 are confusing to me.
Dake is effectively the 1 seed of the challenge tourney, and has a bye to the semis of that tourney (presumably, seeing the "4 seed" then, if chalk)

Edit--here it is from USA Wrestling--looks like they'll seed everyone but Dake, actually:

Last edited:
Dake is effectively the 1 seed of the challenge tourney, and has a bye to the semis of that tourney (presumably, seeing the "4 seed" then, if chalk)

Edit--here it is from USA Wrestling--looks like they'll seed everyone but Dake, actually:

Dont mean to be a PIA, but wouldnt Dake go to the bottom half?

This type of bracket would be needed if there were 2 returning ‘19 medalists (not counting JB) but as far as we know, Dake is the only one, so why not just have him wait for the winner of challenge tourney?

Dont mean to be a PIA, but wouldnt Dake go to the bottom half?

This type of bracket would be needed if there were 2 returning ‘19 medalists, but as far as we know, Dake is the only one, so why not just have him wait for the winner of challenge tourney?

The bracket is floating around, Dake is in the semi's in the bottom half

Not a great pic. Look at the semifinals on day 1. That's where Kyle Dake and J'Den Cox will be placed.

Anyone know if the either of the Pan Am events are streaming anywhere? For that matter, who has the rights to stream the OTT? I don't see it listed on Flo or Track

The thing that's being missed here (except by 82bordeaux) is when USA Wrestling made a mock bracket they had TWO world medalists being seeded into the bracket. In reality they are only getting one. This means that whatever bracket we've seen is going to be mutated into something far more confusing.

Roar,
That bracket shows 2 getting byes to the semis. That would just be Dake, right? JB is already to the best 2/3 Sunday night. At least that is how I understood it. Very confusing!

JB is sitting until Sunday for the best 2/3 with the winner of the challenge tourney. Thats a fact...

The thing that's being missed here (except by 82bordeaux) is when USA Wrestling made a mock bracket they had TWO world medalists being seeded into the bracket. In reality they are only getting one. This means that whatever bracket we've seen is going to be mutated into something far more confusing.

I brought it up originally, it would make more sense to just have KD (the lone 2019 non oly weight medalist) wait on the winner of the Challenge tourney, right?

Soooo based on this bracket, it's still unknown where Dake will fall? Either way in the semis. I could have sworn I saw a bracket that had Dake on the bottom half in the semis

If,if,if they do insert Dake into a semi, it should be the bottom, the “easier” half.

Anyone know if the either of the Pan Am events are streaming anywhere? For that matter, who has the rights to stream the OTT? I don't see it listed on Flo or Track

Im hoping Oly channel, or maybe NBCS for OTT anyway...I see a lot of qualifying events in other sports on these 2.

ADVERTISEMENT