ADVERTISEMENT

ITT we predict Lair board posts when Ford doesn't qualify.

I personally hope he qualifies and I won't feel any kind of satisfaction if he doesn't. Most Pitt fans are douches and I hope the Pitt team loses every game. Still, I can't wish ill on any individual player.

As for you post, if Ford is in fact ineligible those douchey Pitt fans will try to blame Penn State.

For this year, it really doesn't matter. It's too late for him to do much in the second game of the season, having missed this much practice time. They should probably just redshirt him and let him get his questionable academics in order.

For this year, it really doesn't matter. It's too late for him to do much in the second game of the season, having missed this much practice time. They should probably just redshirt him and let him get his questionable academics in order.
Can he even enroll? I'm not sure that he can.

Well, I agree with the above sentiment that I don't wish ill will toward the kid. I heard Barber (PSU) is in and Ford (Pitt) had to go prep/juco. TIFWIW.

As for the Pitt fans.... Yeah, they'll say it's a de facto redshirt put a positive spin on it.

If he goes juco though all bets are off as his recruitment pretty much reopens.

Wish the kid well.

Even if he goes to prep his recruitment reopens, I think, but he's got a lot to prove academically either way.

Reactions: m48tank
I'm not trying to be Debby downer, the moral police, or otherwise take away from the fixation that many on this board have towards Pitt... but I find it a little distasteful to make fun of a human being potentially jeopardizing his opportunity for a college education. It's not quite as classless as making fun of a player with a serious injury, but it somehow feels to be in the same neighborhood. Sorry, not sorry.

I'm not trying to be Debby downer, the moral police, or otherwise take away from the fixation that many on this board have towards Pitt... but I find it a little distasteful to make fun of a human being potentially jeopardizing his opportunity for a college education. It's not quite as classless as making fun of a player with a serious injury, but it somehow feels to be in the same neighborhood. Sorry, not sorry.

Reading comprehension problems?

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy

:eek:

Reactions: Ski
Can he even enroll? I'm not sure that he can.

Depends. In order to qualify he has to: a) pass 16 prescribed core coursers; b) achieve a minimum GPA of 2.3 in those core courses; and c) attain a standardized test score that corresponds to the GPA on the NCAA's sliding scale.

He can enroll, receive financial aid, and practice, but not play if he: a) passes the 16 core courses; b) achieves a GPA between 2.0 and 2.299; and c) attains a standardized test score that corresponds to the GPA on the NCAA's sliding scale (1020 at 2.0 to 910 at 2.299).

If he hasn't passed the 16 core course and/or has a GPA of below 2.0 and/or doesn't have a standardized test score to match his GPA, he can enroll, but not play, receive financial aid, or practice.

Agreed. Pathetic to root for a player to not qualify. Him being able to go to college is more important than the result of a football game.

Agreed. Pathetic to root for a player to not qualify. Him being able to go to college is more important than the result of a football game.

Wow, buddy, you are really going out on a limb there aren't ya? Like who here has actually gone out of his/her way to root for a player to not qualify. Goodness me, do some of you guys even comprehend English and what is being said?

Here, let me make it easy for you... The OP and the subsequent replies that you see are not making fun of the kid for not qualifying.. They are making fun of PITT fans.

Please at least try to read carefully before you pass a comment like that.

You are welcome!

Reactions: denniskembala
I think this is what you said, but isn't it true that a football player isn't allowed to have a scholarship from another sport? That is, he has to have a football scholarship that counts against their numbers?

Now, I'm not even sure if they are at 85, so it may be a moot point with respect to Ford.

Agreed. I hope Paris Ford qualifies and is able to attend Pitt. I may root against Pitt for sporting events, but those are just games at the end of the day. I think it is more important for a kid to have the opportunity of higher education, succeed in the college classroom and graduate....no matter which college he attends.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
No bad will for the kid but in my head, I see first play from scrimmmage, TM drops back and unloads deep bomb down sideline..wide open is Blacknall...TD! The Beav goes nuts.

Is he there to be a student or to try and get a ticket to the NFL? Is he one of those players who shouldn't be a student? I don't know but to randomly think all these guys should get to go to college isn't fair to the kids who have to work really hard to get into college because they can't play a sport.

Rumor is Ford is going to qualify and just has to wait for NCAA Clearinghouse. I'm not sure that it matters since he hasn't been practicing. My guess is he will redshirt this year along with Hamlin.

Is he there to be a student or to try and get a ticket to the NFL? Is he one of those players who shouldn't be a student? I don't know but to randomly think all these guys should get to go to college isn't fair to the kids who have to work really hard to get into college because they can't play a sport.
I agree in principle, but those "who have to work really hard to get into college" don't help put 100,000 fans in the seats and that's all that matters to most people.

Rumor is Ford is going to qualify and just has to wait for NCAA Clearinghouse. I'm not sure that it matters since he hasn't been practicing. My guess is he will redshirt this year along with Hamlin.
In all seriousness, when will the Clearinghouse makes its decision? After Barber was cleared I just assumed that everyone who was questionable, not just Ford, would have an answer. Nothing against Ford, I hope he clears and goes on to have a nice life, but him playing at Beaver Stadium on September 9 is not going to be the difference between a win or a loss It's going to be a blow out with or without him. Him playing also isn't going to make the difference in 2018 or 2019 either. The rest of their recruits are simply not going to be able to match the players that Franklin is pulling in.

I agree in principle, but those "who have to work really hard to get into college" don't help put 100,000 fans in the seats and that's all that matters to most people.
If the NCAA leveled the playing field for everyone, there would still be 100,000 in the seats. People cheer for the school more than the players because the players change all the time. As a parent of a D-1 walk on athlete who had to earn his way in and didn't have all the other benefits to remain eligible, I'm not a big fan of the student athlete minus the student part.

If the NCAA leveled the playing field for everyone, there would still be 100,000 in the seats. People cheer for the school more than the players because the players change all the time. As a parent of a D-1 walk on athlete who had to earn his way in and didn't have all the other benefits to remain eligible, I'm not a big fan of the student athlete minus the student part.
I think we will just agreeably disagree about this. In an ideal world, all college football players would be students 1st, but this is not such a world. It will never be a level playing field because no matter what the rules are, some teams will try to get around them. Also, players like Barley spark the interest. I doubt 100K, would show up to watch a bunch of garden variety college teams compete with great students just because "Dear Old State" was playing. If, for example, the marginal students all went to play in some NFL minor league, and the good students all went to play for PSU, or Pitt, I think college attendance would drop dramatically. Now, I admit I may be wrong, and we will never know because there is too much money in the game to "level the playing field", but it is what it is. It's one of the reasons I have lost interest in college football and watch no games but ours.

I think we will just agreeably disagree about this. In an ideal world, all college football players would be students 1st, but this is not such a world. It will never be a level playing field because no matter what the rules are, some teams will try to get around them. Also, players like Barley spark the interest. I doubt 100K, would show up to watch a bunch of garden variety college teams compete with great students just because "Dear Old State" was playing. If, for example, the marginal students all went to play in some NFL minor league, and the good students all went to play for PSU, or Pitt, I think college attendance would drop dramatically. Now, I admit I may be wrong, and we will never know because there is too much money in the game to "level the playing field", but it is what it is. It's one of the reasons I have lost interest in college football and watch no games but ours.

I hope the intent of this thread was not to embarrass Paris Ford, but rather to highlight the angst exhibited over one recruit. In addition, the apparent belief that a (at best) late arriving freshman will somehow stabilize and energize a squad.
The other amusing aspect of this saga is that some on the Lair cannot comprehend the role of the NCAA Clearinghouse. The amount of comments that declare that this young man would be on the field virtually everywhere else etc. only underscores their ignorance.
I hope the young man in question is deemed a qualifier by The Clearinghouse. If not, may he have a successful year or career at a JC and move on to academic and athletic success at the D1 level very soon.

Paris Ford's issue isn't grades. It's credits. When he transferred from La Salle to Steel Valley, he ended up being short. GPA and SATs are fine

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Are you privy to his Central Catholic experience? You might want to check on that.

And let's be frank here: your track record for veracity isn't stellar.

I thought Darduzzi didn't take any SHORT defensive backs?????Kane isn't that the reason he didn't go after Wade wholeheartedly because he was SHORT?You would think there would of been red flags all over Pitt with Ford attending three different Pittsburgh High Schools.I hope the young man gets to play football somewhere this year.I shook my head when Steel Valley's football coach said he transfered there for academics!!!!!!!Academics and Steel Valley aren't usually in the same sentence.On a positive note Kane I love Flickerwood Winery.

Reactions: KanePA
His grades can't be that "fine", since he was ineligible to play basketball during his second semester.

Depends. In order to qualify he has to: a) pass 16 prescribed core coursers; b) achieve a minimum GPA of 2.3 in those core courses; and c) attain a standardized test score that corresponds to the GPA on the NCAA's sliding scale.

He can enroll, receive financial aid, and practice, but not play if he: a) passes the 16 core courses; b) achieves a GPA between 2.0 and 2.299; and c) attains a standardized test score that corresponds to the GPA on the NCAA's sliding scale (1020 at 2.0 to 910 at 2.299).

If he hasn't passed the 16 core course and/or has a GPA of below 2.0 and/or doesn't have a standardized test score to match his GPA, he can enroll, but not play, receive financial aid, or practice.

Art, Seems cut and dried, but what about the Rooster Jones path?

Paris Ford's issue isn't grades. It's credits. When he transferred from La Salle to Steel Valley, he ended up being short. GPA and SATs are fine

Pitt fans have to be the best at making statements they think are factual without having a way to back them up. A couple of hints that Ford's status has more to do with grades than you realize

Why did everyone say it would be almost impossible for him to qualify. If it were credits, then no one would be worried about grades. He'd have a set amount of classes to pass and if he did = eligible

People didn't think he'd qualify because he is as dumb as a box of rocks, has never pushed himself in anything but sports, and needed to basically ace every test to qualify (which I'm sure Pitt is pulling every string possible to help with)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT