ADVERTISEMENT

It's time......

bjf1991

Oct 4, 2016
If the ref is gonna allow goon hockey - - - Ovechkin needs to get a two-hander to the chops

Pens have had many chances, can't finish. That last non hooking call was right in front of them.

RollerballFist.png

Need to bring up Sesito and have him f'n two hand tomahawk chop him to the head like he did the Sid.

Need to bring up Sesito and have him f'n two hand tomahawk chop him to the head like he did the Sid.
That's the only way to square things w Ovechkin.

When the refs lose control like this, the players have to take things into their own hands

Reactions: TheGLOV
As much as I love the sport, the NHL has always been a garage league.

Can't disagree. To me it's the best sport to watch live. So much action. But the guys in control are all old school,and they love the goon shit. Could you imagine any other sport that lets their best players get killed like they do in hockey. It's terrible. The dude from Cincy Burfect, had two bad hits against steelers and his career was deeply affected. In hockey it happens every freakin game. And the hockey guys get a raise.

Reactions: TheGLOV
While I would wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, in many ways the NHL is its own worst enemy.

Why? The league has never really figured out just how the game, played at its highest level with ever increasing speed and physical force, should be officiated without disrupting its natural flow. Just way too much inconsistency among game officials re what's allowed and what isn't, not just from one game to the next but from period-to-period in any given match-up.

Without question imo, the NHL has the worst, across-the-board officiating among all the major professional sports. No other league's officiating crews call a regular season game's infractions as differently as the NHL refs consistently do come post-season playoff time. During last night's game, the plain-as -day overhand slash to the upper body and the beyond obvious hook following the one turnover and subsequent odd-man rush in open ice would both qualify as egregious non-calls.

I'm not in favor of more whistles that would inevitably disrupt hockey's aforementioned natural flow. I do strongly favor stiffer penalties (e.g. three minutes for slashing and/or roughing vs the usual two minutes for less serious infractions such as interference or delay of game). Regardless, unless/until the NHL overhauls a healthy portion of its officiating platform along with re-thinking its stance re the hard salary cap, the league is destined to never reach its full potential.

Reactions: psugrad85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT